MING DOYLE, JOE QUINONES, and MARIS WICKS appear at The Big Bang on Friday, November 29, 2013 from 6:00pm until 8:00pm for a rare Irish signing!
Probably better known for her work on Brian Wood’s MARA and the artist in the new story arc of QUANTUM & WOODY, Ming also has done a ton of covers and a short story recently with Kelly Sue DeConnick for the WITCHING HOUR Vertigo anthology. (stil in stock, true believers!)
Joe has been around for the last couple of years, starting with TEEN TITANS GO and then GREEN LANTERN with Kurt Busiek and is of late a popular cover artist for DARK HORSE, DC and MARVEL (the last thing you’ll have seen him lately on would be the recent CAPTAIN MARVEL covers). He also has a BLACK CANARY/ZATANNA project coming out with Paul Dini soon, the lucky bastard.
Maris is the artist of (the really, really good) PRIMATES, which is currently sold out but due back in stock soon!
She is also a writer AND a colourist, so we’ll be seeing much more of her in the future.
The Big Bang
Pembroke District, Dundrum, Dublin Dublin 16, Ireland
Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo hosts its first two-day show on September 28-29, 2013 at in Porter Square, Cambridge, MA! The event is a joint project between the Boston Comics Roundtable, an independent arts collective, and the Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University; MICE puts a focus on the art of making comics and connects local creators with local audience. They will also run a number of workshops for children and adults, as well as panel discussions on the craft and relevance of the comics form. MICE is for anyone of any age who wants to discover new comics, learn more about the medium of comics, or is interested in making their own. Sunday is Kids Day, featuring workshops for the young cartoonist.
MICE 2013 is pleased to welcome eight comic creators to our show as our special guests: Chris Duffy, George O’Connor, Josh Neufeld, Lucy Knisley, Maris Wicks, Mike Cavallaro, Nick Abadzis, and R. Sikoryak. They will appear at their tables in the exhibition area, as well as at various panels and workshops over the weekend.
Plus MICE features 150 exhibitors including Alison Wilgus, Bob Flynn, Braden Lamb, Cathy Leamy, Colleen AF Venable, David Marshall, E. J. Barnes, Ellen Crenshaw, Emmy Cicierega, Jennie Wood, Ming Doyle, Nate Bellegarde, Renee Kurilla, Sean Wang, Shelli Paroline, Stephanie Yue, Tim Finn, Zack Giallongo, and many more!
View the exhibitor list and full schedule (TBA) at the website: www.micexpo.org
Next Saturday is July 20 and it’s a BIG day at Comicazi! Not only is it ArtBeat - the annual fair that celebrates local artisans and businesses – but we here at the shop are having our local artist/creator friends in-store to hawk their wares and press your flesh!!
In person at the shop are all great folks who have been mentioned here before and are good good friends. Let me present:
Max Wolman of the upcoming Red Menace comic
These ladies and gentlemen will be at the store from 12 to 4 on Saturday 7/20 so be sure to get here early. And remember that ArtBeat actually closes off all driving traffic in Davis Square. You’ll have to take the T into Davis or walk in.
These appearances will be followed up later in the evening by the Comicazi Couples Game at 8pm. You’ve heard me talk about it in last week’s issue, well now is your chance to get tickets to the event before they sell out!
You can also check it out on the Facebook page
Starting on Wednesday July 17 and going until Sunday July 21 Comicazi is having a 50% off sale. Bam!!
On those days you get 50% off your purchase of new comics excluding that week’s new delivery of books and what’s in subscription boxes. But the new books from the past several months that are up on the wall, yes.
All back issues, $2 and premium both
All used gaming:
PokemonGet your shekels ready my friends! It’s going to be a bigger blast than Krypton!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
101 Independence Mall Way, Kingston, MA 02364
Ming Doyle, comics artist extraordinaire, signs at Comicazi on Saturday, January 19, 2013 from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. Her most recent work is on the hot new title Mara, but she’s also done work for Womanthology, Fantastic Four, and more! Come meet and support a local artist – the event is absolutely free, though we encourage you mightily to purchase some of Ming’s work!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
Artist Ming Doyle signs at Comicopia in Kenmore Square on Saturday, February 2, 2013 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm!
Acclaimed creator BRIAN WOOD (The Massive, DMZ, Demo, Northlanders) and brilliant newcomer MING DOYLE (The Loneliest Astronauts, Fantastic Four, Girl Comics) bring you MARA, the story of an especially gifted woman in a sports-and war-obsessed future. Young Mara Prince is at the top of the world, a global celebrity in a culture that prizes physical achievement above all else. After she manifests supernatural abilities on live TV, she becomes famous all over again but for the worst reasons. Integrating themes of superpowers, celebrity worship, corporate power, feminism, and political brinksmanship, MARA takes a classic genre to new places.
464 Commonwealth Ave #13, Boston, MA 02215-2734
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo has released their Panel and Workshop Schedule for 2012
12:00PM – 12:50PM
2:30PM – 3:20PM
3:30PM – 4:20PM
11:00AM – 11:50AM
Health, illness, and the physical body are major themes in many graphic novels (such as Cancer Vixen, Epileptic, and Stitches). Doctors, patients, and health educators are getting involved with comics as teaching tools and as a method of self-expression and exploring physical and mental conditions.
Moderator: Cathy Leamy Panelists: Kriota Willberg, LB Lee, Paige Warren.
12:00PM – 12:50PM
You have your first paid drawing gig … now what? A panel of working cartoonists discuss the challenges and rewards of drawing for a living in the fields of comics, illustration and animation. Topics will include how to balance creativity and professionalism, what to expect in various fields of employment, and some helpful anecdotes from the artists’ careers.
Moderator: Zack Giallongo Panelists: Shelli Paroline (artist, Kaboom! Studios), Keith Zulawnik (artist, Fablevision), Renee Kurilla (artist, Fablevision, Simon & Schuster), Ming Doyle (artist, Marvel, IDW)
1:00PM – 2:15PM
For twenty years, stylistic chameleon R. Sikoryak has been producing literary adaptations in comics form that parody the tics and tropes of classic cartoons; these are collected in Masterpiece Comics (Drawn and Quarterly). He will discuss his work and process, as well as his varied freelance career for Nickelodeon, The New Yorker, The Daily Show, and much more, in a special slideshow presentation.
2:30PM – 3:20PM
3:30PM – 4:20PM
Religion intersects comics and comics intersect religion in a multitude of ways. Enter into a discussion with regional comics creators and scholars on the promise and the peril of these engagements. Moderator A. David Lewis asks the panel whether comics is just another medium and religion just another topic — or whether the two are innately bound to each other.
Moderator: A. David Lewis Panelists: Charles Schneeflock Snow, Box Brown, David Wolkin
4:30PM – 5:20PM
Artists who use “fine arts” techniques to make comics… artists who use comics techniques to make “fine art” …an art gallery director who hangs comic art on her gallery’s walls… What are the boundaries between fine arts and comics? Are there any? Should there be any? Whatever the answers may be, we’ll look at and discuss some fine comics art and some comical fine art.
Moderator: Tim Finn Panelists: Doug De Rocher, EJ Barnes, Adrienne Nunez, Ansis Purins, Raul Gonzalez, Cathi Chang
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo has released the schedule for this weekend’s show!
Workshops & Artist Demos
- 12pm – Foldy Comics! – Jerel Dye presents an innovative way of making a your own comic book from a single sheet of paper. This is a kid-friendly workshop or for anyone just getting started in the comic craft.
- 1pm – Watercolor Demonstration with Ellen Crenshaw
- 2pm – Comic Lettering and Inking with David Marshall
- 3:15pm – Creating Digital Comics – Walkthrough the software and techniques with webcomic artist Andy Wong.
- 4:30pm – Coloring Comics with Braden Lamb
Comics & …! is a day-long program of panel discussions exploring diverse topics in independent comics. Each panel will take place in University Hall’s Amphitheater, 2nd Floor.
COMICS & TEACHING: Beyond Maus and Persepolis
11:00 AM - Comics such as Spiegelman’s Maus and Satrapi’s Persepolis have found a solid foothold as legitimate classroom texts. However, there are many other noteworthy graphic novels that could also find their way into the K-16 curriculum. This panel will explore specific strategies for teaching comics and teaching with comics, looking past the “canonical” texts noted above.
MODERATOR: David Marshall PANELISTS: Michael Gianfrancesco, Director, New England Comic Arts in the Classroom; Educator, North Providence High School; Maureen Bakis, author The Graphic Novel Classroom; Alexander Danner, instructor, Emerson College Graphic Novel Program; Robert Shreefter, Professor, Lesley University.
COMICS & CHILDREN’S LITERATURE: Smart Comics For Kids
12:15 PM – This panel of writers, artists, and reviewers will discuss today’s comics storytelling for kids, the challenges of appealing to different age groups, and the changing roles of such “gatekeepers” as librarians, comic shops, publishers, parents, and digital portals.
MODERATOR: J. L. Bell, Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators PANELISTS: Robin Brenner, creator of noflyingnotights.com, Jef Czekaj, author-illustrator. Gareth Hinds, author-illustrator, Shelli Paroline, artist, Colleen AF Venable, scripter and designer
COMICS & SOCIAL JUSTICE: Cartoons with a Cause
1:30 PM – Our panelists discuss ways in which the comics medium can be valuable in political discourse, and how independent comics can be an important focus of community activism as well as provide voices for — and representations of — minorities and other marginalized groups.
MODERATOR: Che Salazar PANELISTS: Rebecca Migdal, World War Three Illustrated; Colin Tedford, Trees & Hills Comics Group; Tak Toyoshima, creator Secret Asian Man; Anna Mudd, Harvard Center for Middle Eastern Studies
COMICS & FASHION : Project: Rooftop
2:45 PM – Since 2006 the Project : Rooftop website has examined the trend of independent illustrators redesigning superhero costumes, and now the discussion goes live at MICE! This panel will focus on a few comic book characters, looking at how they’ve been visually interpreted over the years by professionals and fans alike.
MODERATOR: Braden Lamb PANELISTS: Joe Quinones (Wednesday Comics, Amazing Spider-Man), Ming Doyle (Tantalize, The Loneliest Astronauts), and Jennifer Ngan (Instructor, Art Institute of Boston).
COMICS & COLLABORATION: Teamwork 101
4:00 PM – Many of the best comics and graphic novels are created through collaboration between a writer and artist. This panel will present several experienced teams of artists and writers, to share their insights on the pleasures and pitfalls of creative teamwork. How are comics partnerships formed and successfully maintained to produce the optimum results? What surprises have writers and artists encountered in the process of collaboration? What should less experienced creators seeking collaborators look for or be wary of?
MODERATOR: Alexander Danner PANELISTS: TBA
COMICS & TECHNOLOGY: Digital Comics
5:15 PM – Digital creation and distribution of comics are here to stay and will only get more important to the future of the medium. What are the best platforms – currently, or on the horizon — for the production and delivery of digital comics? How can artists and writers adapt themselves to new devices and software, and what improvements can be anticipated? What are the implications of these new technologies for the artist’s work and income?
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo, a show dedicated to independent, alternative, small-press and self-published comics, webcomics and ‘zines, returns for its second year September 24th, 2011 from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm! This year’s expo has been relocated to University Hall at Lesley University (Porter Campus: 1815 Massachusetts Avenue,Cambridge, MA) conveniently next to the Porter Square station. MICE welcomes independent comics artists, writers, publishers, distributors and dealers who serve the independent community; avid fans, casual readers, and those curious about the New England independent comics scene. Presented by The Boston Comics Roundtable and The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University.
2011 Exhibitors include:
- Donna Almendrala – http://donnaalmendrala.name/
- Art Institute of Boston – http://www.lesley.edu/aib/
- Awakening Comics – http://awakeningcomics.webs.com/
- E. J. Barnes – http://ejbarnes.com/
- Cara Bean – http://badgigi.com/
- Eric Boeker – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/eboeker/
- Garry-Paul Bonesteel – http://killerinkcomics.com/
- Boston Comics Roundtable – http://www.bostoncomicsroundtable.com/
- Boy Blue & Co. – http://www.underthehaystack.net/
- Box Brown – http://www.boxbrown.com
- Heather Bryant – www.heatherbryant.com
- Robyn Chapman – http://www.un-pop.com/
- Kevin Church – http://www.beaucoupkevin.com/blog/
- Barry Corbett & Brian Codagnone – http://www.corbettfeatures.com/
- Joshua Dahl – http://joshdahl.livejournal.com/
- Dandelion Studios – http://www.dandelionstudios.com/
- Alexander Danner – http://www.picturestorytheater.com/
- Ben Doane – http://thejamjarastronaut.blogspot.com/
- Allan Dorison – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/gascomic
- Ming Doyle – http://www.mingdoyle.com/
- Jerel Dye – http://jereldye.com/
- Marissa Falco – http://miss-sequential.blogspot.com/
- FatCat Funnies – http://fatcatfunnies.com/
- Bob Flynn – http://jinxthemonkey.com/
- Claire Folkman – http://clairefolkman.blogspot.com/
- Joel Christian Gill – http://www.joelchristiangill.com/
- Lawrence Gillette – http://mofragcomics.tumblr.com/
- Melanie Gillman – http://contriveathon.livejournal.com/
- Graphic Artists Guild – http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/
- Erica Henderson – http://failatlife.blogspot.com/
- Erik Heumiller – http://www.helmsmanpress.com/
- Gareth Hinds – http://www.thecomic.com/
- Patt Kelley – http://www.pattkelley.com/
- Nathan Kitler – http://nathankitler.blogspot.com/
- Braden Lamb – http://www.bradenlamb.com/
- Leann Leake – http://laughing-anima.livejournal.com/
- Cathy Leamy – http://www.metrokitty.com/
- Ron LeBrasseur – http://home.earthlink.net/~ronlebrasseur/
- Jesse Lonergan – http://jesselonergan.blogspot.com/
- Dave Mahan – http://davemahanart.blogspot.com/
- Maineland Studios – http://www.mainelandstudios.com/
- Clay McCormack – http://www.eatdeadmeat.com/
- Rebecca Migdal – http://www.rlmigdal.com/
- Lindsay Moore – http://boxybrown.etsy.com/
- Dan Moynihan – http://www.danmoynihan.com/
- New England Comics Arts in the Classroom – http://www.necac.net/
- Adrienne Nunez – http://www.adriennenunez.net/
- Line O – http://outoflinecomics.blogspot.com/
- George O’Connor – http://www.homelesscomics.com/
- Tom Pappalardo – http://blog.tompappalardo.com/
- Shelli Paroline – http://http://shelliparoline.com/
- Joey Peters – http://tacolicious.net/
- Kelly Phillips – http://www.kellyphillips.net/
- Morgan Pielli – http://www.morganpielli.com/
- Chris Pittas – http://www.tipscomix.com/
- Ansis Purins – http://www.ansis.tv
- Joe Quinones – http://joequinones.blogspot.com/
- Michael Rapa – http://michaelrapa.com
- ROHO – http://riverbirdstudios.blogspot.com/
- Aya Rothwell – http://www.ayarothwell.com/
- Bill Roundy – http://billroundy.com/
- Che Salazar – http://production3c.com/
- Steve Seck – http://www.secktacular.com/
- Matt Smith – http://www.matt-illustrations.com/
- Charles Schneeflock Snow – http://www.sordidcityblues.com/
- Susan and Everett Soares – www.skypiratesofvalendor.com/
- Karl Stevens – http://www.karlstevensart.com/
- Kristilyn Stevenson – http://zombie-romance.com/
- Rio Aubry Taylor – http://lightriot.com/
- Three J Productions, LLC – http://www.threejproductions.com/
- Dirk Tiede Cartoons & Illustration – http://www.dirktiede.com/
- Elenore Toczynski – http://ghostlytoast.blogspot.com/
- The Topato Corporation – http://topatoco.com/
- Trees and Hills – http://www.treesandhills.org/
- Jen Vaughn – http://www.mermaidhostel.com/
- Jason Viola – http://www.manateepower.com/
- Bill Volk – http://billvolk.com/
- Weekly Dig – http://digboston.com/
- Maris Wicks – http://dotsforeyes.blogspot.com/
- Andy Wong – http://www.alacritystudios.com/
- Ken Wong – http://mysite.verizon.net/vzey5cnm/
- Jennie Wood – http://www.nayslayer.com/
- Yeah Dude Comics – http://www.patmakesdrawings.com/
Ming Doyle and Kevin Church (creators of The Loneliest Astronauts) return to sign at Comicopia on Saturday May 7, 2011 for Free Comic Book Day! Joining them is Cathy Leamy of Greenblooded and Geraniums and Bacon.
464 Commonwealth Ave #13, Boston, MA 02215-2734