Comic book writer Paul Levitz, the author of the upcoming book Will Eisner: Champion of the Graphic Novel, is coming to Midtown Comics Downtown on Wednesday, November 18th at 8:30 pm! For about an hour, we’ll have a Q&A and signing with the industry veteran. The event will be recorded for the Midtown Comics Podcast, and Dimitrios Fragiskatos, the manager of our Grand Central store, will moderate.
This event is CLOSED to the public, but fear not, because fans do have an opportunity to win a seat! If you want a chance to win one of the few available seats, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Paul Levitz”. Good luck!
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
Todd McFarlane and McFarlane Toys are planning their trip to the Big Apple for New York Comic Con 2015! Last year, McFarlane Toys debuted their AMC’s The Walking Dead construction sets and this year, for the first time, McFarlane Toys is showing off their HBO’s Game of Thrones Construction Sets slated to hit stores this November!
Visit the McFarlane Toys booth #1526 for a chance to meet Todd McFarlane and see the latest construction sets, action figures and statues from brands including: AMC’s The Walking Dead, HBO’s Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead Comic, Halo, Assassin’s Creed and more.
Here’s an overview of McFarlane’s schedule at NYCC:
PANEL: Toddfather Talks Toys, Comics, Spawn and Insight to Being an Independent Creator
- Date: Thursday, October 8, 2015
Time: 12:15 PM – 1:15 PM
Location: Room 1A06
This is a can’t-miss panel featuring the man, Todd McFarlane! The toy company giant gives a sneak peek at McFarlane Toys’ upcoming AMC’s The Walking Dead and HBO’s Game of Thrones construction sets. Todd also talks exciting Spawn and Savior news that will make any comic fan eager for new issues! A Todd McFarlane panel wouldn’t be complete without words of wisdom on persevering and obtaining your dream job.
SIGNING: Todd McFarlane VIP Signing
- Date: Friday, October 9, 2015
Time: 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Location: VIP Lounge in the 4th floor Galleria
If you’re a VIP ticket holder, this is for you… Bring your two favorite Todd McFarlane items for a free autograph!
PANEL: Will Eisner: Champion of the Graphic Novel
- Date: Saturday, October 10, 2015
Time: 4 PM – 5 PM
Already a legend for his creation of The Spirit in 1940, Will Eisner – with the 1978 publication of his A Contract With God – would be instrumental in popularizing the graphic novel format, changing the world of comics forever. Join us and find out how and why Eisner did it, with moderator Paul Levitz (author of the upcoming Will Eisner: Champion of the Graphic Novel) and Panelists Todd McFarlane (Spawn Creator & Image Comics President), Raina Telgemeier (Smile), Dennis O’Neil (Batman) and Denis Kitchen (The Best of Comix Book).
NYCC BUILD OFF: In-Booth Construction Set Challenge
McFarlane Toys is challenging New York Comic Con fans to a construction challenge featuring our McFarlane Construction Sets. Fans can test their construction skills as we pit them against one another in a no-holds barred construction throw-down! The contest is free and open to all NYCC attendee badge holders and will be held in McFarlane Toys booth (1526) Friday, October 9 and Saturday, October 10th.
Can’t make it to NYCC? Upload a photo of your McFarlane Construction Sets to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with #McFarlaneBuilds for a chance to win a McFarlane Construction Set prize package!
CONTESTS, GIVEAWAYS and MORE!
Stop by the McFarlane Toys booth #1526 for several different chances to win some awesome prizes!
- Win McFarlane Toys for a Year: Sign up for the McFarlane Toys newsletter on an iPad in our booth to be entered in our ‘Win McFarlane Toys for a Year’ sweepstakes. Not going to NYCC? Don’t worry… You can enter the contest by clicking here.
- Daily Lanyard Pin Giveaways: Each day of NYCC, we’ll be giving away NYCC EXCLUSIVE lanyard pins. Limited quantities available.
- Daily Blind Bag Giveaways: Be one of the first to our booth (#1526) to grab a blind bag from AMC’s The Walking Dead. Check the front and back of your blind bag for a neon sticker, because you could be an INSTANT winner winning comics, action figures or construction sets. Limited quantities available.
FREE AUTOGRAPH SESSIONS
More Todd McFarlane autograph sessions times to be announced! Check back here and on Todd’s Twitter for more details!
Stop by the McFarlane Toys booth for life-size photo opportunities from AMC’s The Walking Dead hit TV series. Upload a photo of you in our booth to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with #McFarlaneBuilds for a chance to win a McFarlane Construction Set prize package!
Paul Levitz appears at Midtown Comics Downtown to sign Dr. Fate #1 on Wednesday, June 17th at 7:00 PM!
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
Al Jaffee, Wendy and Richard Pini, Chris Claremont, Paul Levitz, Alexander Rothman, Sophia Wiedeman, Peter Kuper, Gregory Benton, Forsyth Harmon, Tom Motley, and more appear at the Butler Library at Columbia University on Tuesday October 7th at 6:00 PM for the grand opening reception of an exhibition, which features materials from Columbia’s comics archives. A brief discussion in 203 Butler will kick off the evening, then all may adjourn for a reception and exhibition viewing in our Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Butler Library | Columbia University
535 W 114th St, New York, NY 10027
Columbia University celebrates the life and career of cartoonist AL JAFFEE, creator of the MAD Magazine Fold-in, with a panel discussion in honor his donation of his papers to their Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Former DC Comics president (and sometime Columbia lecturer) Paul Levitz will moderate, and joining him will be cartoonist Peter Kuper, Mad magazine art director Sam Viviano, and–of course!–Al himself at the Butler Library on Tuesday March 4 at 7:00 PM in room 523.
A reception will follow the event. As always, Comics@Columbia events are free and open to the public.
Butler Library | Columbia University
535 W 114th St, New York, NY 10027
Writer Paul Levitz (Legion of Super-Heroes) reads from his upcoming book Will Eisner: Champion of The Graphic Novel as part of Will Eisner Week 2014! The event will take place on Monday, March 3rd at 7:00 p.m. at Parsons School of Design, 2 West 13th Street, in the Bark Room.
Via the Toucan Blog:
SPECIAL GUESTS WAVE 2 IS HERE!
20 More Guests Announced for Comic-Con International 2014!
Comic-Con International introduces twenty more guests for the 2014 event, to be held July 24-27 at the San Diego Convention Center. This second wave of guests for 2014 includes creators from mainstream and alternative comics, graphic novels, manga, and mystery/thriller books, plus a pair of comics historians. For complete bios and larger photos of these guests, please click here to visit our CCI 2014 Special Guests page!
Confirmed for Comic-Con International 2014 are these additional special guests:
June Brigman, artist, co-creator, Power Pack
Mark Brooks, cover artist, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers
Colleen Coover, artist, co-creator, Bandette
Chuck Dixon, writer, Batman, Airboy
Francesco Francavilla, writer/artist, The Black Beetle, Afterlife with Archie
Brian Haberlin, artist, Witchblade, Anomaly
Gregg Hurwitz, author, Tell No Lies, Batman: The Dark Knight
Batton Lash, writer/cartoonist, Supernatural Law, The First Gentleman of the Apocalypse
Jim Lee, co-publisher, DC Entertainment; artist, Justice League, Superman Unchained
Paul Levitz, editor, former publisher, DC Comics; writer, World’s Finest
Sara Mayhew, writer/artist, Legend of the Ztarr
Michelle Nolan, comics/pop culture historian, Love on the Racks, Ball Tales
Denny O’Neil, writer/editor, Batman, Green Lantern/Green Arrow
John Picacio, artist, A Song of Ice and Fire, Elric of Melnibone
Mimi Pond, cartoonist, Over Easy
Stan Sakai, creator, writer, cartoonist, Usagi Yojimbo
Jeff Smith, creator, writer/artist, Bone, RASL, Little Mouse Gets Ready
J. Michael Straczynski, creator, writer, Ten Grand, Sidekick, The Adventures of Apocalypse Al
Maggie Thompson, writer/editor/comics historian, Comics Buyer’s Guide
Paul Tobin, writer, co-creator, Bandette, Colder
Stay tuned for more special guest announcements for Comic-Con International 2014, coming soon!
Comments Off on DC Entertainment Celebrates Superman’s 75th Anniversary and More at SDCC 2013
DC ENTERTAINMENT UNLEASHES IMPRESSIVE SLATE OF STELLAR EVENTS AT COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO 2013
Superman 75th Anniversary Celebration of World’s Greatest Super Hero Continues
Neil Gaiman Awakens THE SANDMAN For All-New Series
Journey To The Dark Side As Villains Take Over DC COMICS – THE NEW 52
DC Entertainment, home to the World’s Greatest Super Heroes and the most talented writers and artists in the business, announced today it will storm Comic-Con International: San Diego 2013 with an impressive line-up of events, announcements and giveaways that promise to amaze fans and continue to cement its position as a leader in the comic book industry.
The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DC Entertainment will conquer Comic-Con with a selection of can’t-miss events. Fans can look forward to an unprecedented celebration of the greatest and most iconic hero in history, Superman – including a look at the best-selling new series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED and the return of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed Vertigo series with THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, featuring the breathtaking artwork of J.H. Williams III. But the San Diego fireworks don’t end there, as DC Entertainment will be giving fans a sneak peek at the dark future within DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 and unveiling the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA car featuring custom artwork from DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign, and more.
DC Entertainment’s interactive 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will take flight this year with a staggering collection of Superman costumes highlighting the Super Hero’s various eras and donned by actors including Henry Cavill, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Tom Welling. The costume gallery anchors a booth that also boasts video game demos, creator signings, a special fan green-screen photo area, giveaways and exclusive video footage.
Plus, with a schedule packed with over 15 panels, DC Entertainment is set to deliver to fans a stellar collection of appearances, announcements and events.
- All hail the world’s first Super Hero as Superman celebrates 75 years! DC Entertainment will join its partners across Warner Bros. Entertainment to salute the most revered and influential comic book character of all time with a slew of must-see events in celebration of both the Man of Steel’s history – including a special Superman 75 panel featuring an all-star roster of guests, including Jack Larson (the original Jimmy Olsen from Adventures of Superman), first-time Comic-Con panelist Tim Daly (Superman: The Animated Series) and reigning animated Supergirl Molly Quinn (Castle) to comics luminaries Paul Levitz, Grant Morrison and Dan Jurgens plus talent from the current blockbuster, “Man of Steel,” and a first look at the animated short chronicling the character’s rich history, produced by “Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder – plus more information on the powerhouse comic book series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED from acclaimed artist Jim Lee and writer Scott Snyder.
- Be there as the legendary Neil Gaiman offers fans a first look at his return to the comic book series that launched his career with Vertigo’s THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE. Brought to life by renowned artist J.H. Williams III, the new 6-issue miniseries set for release on October 30, will also be the subject of an all-star panel featuring Gaiman, Williams and artists Dave McKean and Sam Kieth.
- Dive into Vertigo’s upcoming slate of genre-defying titles – including the dark fantasy COFFIN HILL, the epic adventure HINTERKIND, the post-apocalyptic SUICIDERS, THE SANDMAN spin-off THE DEAD BOY DETECTIVES, and the erotic thriller THE DISCIPLINE, along with the return of the fan-favorite series from Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque, AMERICAN VAMPIRE.
- Terror takes over when Villains Month hits in September. Get an inside look at the shocking events facing our heroes as the first DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 universe-wide event is unleashed. The event, spearheaded by the 7-issue FOREVER EVIL series by superstar writer Geoff Johns with art by the incredibly talented David Finch will also feature 52 jaw-dropping villain-centric titles boasting 3-D Motion covers. Fans will also be able to delve into the structure of this summer’s Justice League event Trinity War with a whiteboard animation video narrated by Johns, which will be showcased at the DC Entertainment booth. Plus, fans can get an early look at “Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics,” an all-new documentary to be teased along with a panel headed by Johns, Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken), Andrea Romano (Batman: The Animated Series) and Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights).
- Don’t miss DC Entertainment’s display of seven Justice League-inspired KIA cars (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg) featuring custom automobile detailing and artwork by legendary artist Jim Lee at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park, Official Comic-Con Partner. Comic-Con will mark the unveiling of the centerpiece to the collection – the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA – to be auctioned off to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign to help fight the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa.
- DC Entertainment, firmly established as the industry leader in digital comics, will debut its first-ever panel dedicated to the space – slated to reveal new art, innovations and an all-star cast behind some of DC Comics Digital’s most popular releases including BATMAN ’66, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM, and BATMAN BEYOND!
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide offering of exclusive items only available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series JUSTICE LEAGUE, BATMAN, SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, and BATMAN ’66, along with five new DC Collectibles items like the Aardman: Superman Action Figure, a three-pack of Super Best Friends Forever Action Figures, Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange, a “Man of Steel” 1:6 scale Icon Statue black costume variant and DC Comics’ Super Heroes of Green Lantern four-pack.
- Superman gets an altogether different take in the fractured alternate universe of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the highly anticipated DC Universe Animated Original Movie to premiere Friday at Comic-Con.
- Get an inside look at INSIDE MAD, the hugely anticipated forthcoming collection from “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine and get a dose of the magazine’s wit and snark at the annual MAD panel – orchestrated by Editor John Ficarra and a side-splitting cast of characters.
– See more at: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/07/02/dc-entertainment-unleashes-impressive-slate-of-stellar-events-at-comic-con#sthash.WzD2hyiR.dpuf
Comments Off on Baltimore Comic-Con 2013 Adds More Guests
**UPDATE: Dave Gibbons will not be able to take part in this year’s event.**
The Baltimore Comic-Con is happy to announce the next group of confirmed guest for the 2013 show, taking place the weekend of September 7-8, 2013. Mark Buckingham, Dave Gibbons, Adam Hughes, Paul Levitz, George Perez, Walter Simonson, Louise Simonson, and Allison Sohn will all be attending our 14th Annual show !
Mark Buckingham, who is best-known and most-celebrated for his work on the long-running Vertigo title Fables, began his career in 1990 working with Neil Gaiman on Miracleman from Eclipse Comics. Working on such titles as 2000 AD, Hellblazer, and Shade, the Changing Man, he became a mainstay at DC Comics after taking over art duties on Fables with issue #6. His run on the popular imprint title has earned him four Eisner Awards, including Best New Series in 2003, Best Serialized Story in 2005 and 2006, and Best Artist/Penciler/Inker in 2007.
Legendary artist Dave Gibbons is best known for his collaboration with Alan Moore on the seminal mini-series,Watchmen. With a career that spans more than four decades, Gibbons has provided artowrk for 2000 AD, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, and Dark Horse Comics, and has worked with such characters as Judge Dredd, Captain America, Superman and Batman. He is currently working on The Secret Service with Mark Millar though Marvel’s Icon imprint.
As far as cover artists working in comics today, Adam Hughes is among the very best. A 12-year veteran of Gaijin Studios, Hughes is most widely recognized for his pin-up style renditions of female characters, especially over the course of his long runs as cover artist on Wonder Woman and Catwoman. His most recent work includes the Before Watchmen mini-series, Dr. Manhattan. Hughes won the Harvey Award for Best Cover Artist in 2001, 2002, and 2003.
Paul Levitz has been a mainstay at DCComics since 1972, serving as a writer, editor, and President (2002 – 2009) over the tenure of his career. His name is synonymous with the Legion of Super-Heroes, which he wrote from 1977-1979 and 1981-1989, and he created such notable characters as the Stalker, the Earth-2 Huntress, and Lucien the Librarian. Levitz has since returned to writing the Legion of Super-Heroes for the New 52, as well as the Earth-2 centric book, World’s Finest.
Writer/artist George Perez established himself as a fan-favorite creator during his lengthy runs on Marvel Comics’ Avengers, and DC Comics’ Teen Titans and Wonder Woman. Over the course of his 40-year career, Perez has drawn nearly every character in both the Marvel and DC Universes, and has worked on such ground breaking events as the Infinity Gauntlet, JLA/Avengers, and Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds. In 2011, he reunited with long-time collaborator Marv Wolfman to publish the long-awaited New Teen Titans: Games graphic novel. Currently, he is working as the artist for DC’s World’s Finest with Paul Levitz.
Walter Simonson is best known for his run on The Mighty Thor throughout the 1980s. His classic run was recently collected by Marvel in The Mighty Thor Omnibus by Walter Simonson, a massive tome which featured issues #337-355, #357-369, and #371-382, as well as the mini-series, Balder the Brave #1-4. In addition to his work on Thor, Simonson has worked on such titles as Detective Comics, Avengers, and Marvel’s Star Wars comics. In 2010, Simonson received the Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award, which was presented at the Harvey Awards.
Louise Simonson began her career in as an editor in 1974 before moving on to writing for Marvel Comics in 1984. She is best known for her work on Power Pack, X-Factor, New Mutants, and Superman: The Man of Steel. In addition to comics, Simonson is an accomplished novelist, having published 14 books between 1993 and 2009.
Sketch card artist Allison Sohn’s work has been showcased in several trading card sets, including: Star Wars Galaxy Series 4 and 5 and the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Collection; Women of Marvel; Indiana Jones Heritage; Lord of the Rings Masterpieces, Series 1 and 2; and the Red Sonja 35th Anniversary. In addition, she provided the exclusive artwork for both Star Wars Celebration IV and V. In 2011, Sohn was the feature of a panel at the San Diego Comic-Con International called Comic-Con How-To: Sketching with Allison Sohn, in which she demonstrated her craft using Copic markers.
“We are so excited to able to announce these great guests for next year’s show,” said Marc Nathan, show promoter of the Baltimore Comic-Con. “It’s not even 2013 yet, and with Mark, Dave, Adam, Paul, George, Walter, Louise, and Allison joining the list of guests, the level of top-tier talent for the show is just getting better and better!”
Buckingham, Gibbons, Hughes, Levitz, Perez, the Simonsons and Sohn join already announced guests: Frank Cho (Savage Wolverine); Barry Kitson (Empire); Mike Mignola (Hellboy In Hell); Chris Samnee (Daredevil); and Mark Waid (Indestructible Hulk).
In the coming weeks, look for more announcements from the Baltimore Comic-Con. We are looking forward to highlighting our guests, the Harvey Awards, industry exclusives, and programming. The latest developments can always be found on our website, Twitter, and Facebook pages.
Comments Off on NYC – Will Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist Screening
Andrew D. Cooke, Paul Levitz, Dennis O’Neil, and Danny Fingeroth appear on November 7, 2012 from 6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
The Museum of Comic and Cartoon art- MoCCA- at the Society of Illustrators is proud to announce the first offering in its new “Dinner and a Movie” series. The series, programmed by comics writer and historian Danny Fingeroth, will feature a comics or animation themed film, preceded by a buffet dinner in the Society’s famed dining room, and followed by a panel discussion about the film. The series will premiere with a screening of the award-winning documentary “Will Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist“, followed by a panel discussion with the film’s director, Andrew D. Cooke, as well as comics legends Paul Levitz (Legion of Super Heroes) and Dennis O’Neil (Batman). Fingeroth will moderate.
ABOUT THE FILM:
“Will Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist” is a full-length feature film documentary about the pioneering comics and graphic novel creator that includes interviews with Eisner and many of the foremost creative talents in the U.S., including Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Chabon, Jules Feiffer, Jack Kirby, Art Spiegelman (who also narrates the film), Frank Miller, Stan Lee, and Gil Kane.
Legendary entertainment industry figure Jeffrey Katzenberg has said of the documentary that it is “entertaining and insightful. A great film about a visionary artist!”
ABOUT DINNER AND A MOVIE:
Dinner will start at 6:30pm.
Screening will begin at 7:30pm
Panel discussion will begin at approximately 9pm
A signing will follow the panel. DVDs of the film and selected works by Will Eisner, as well as by the panelists, will be available for purchase in the Museum Shop.
This event is part of Illustration Week.
Society of Illustrators 128 East 63rd Street, New York, NY 10065