The Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) Committee has selected the twelve Gold Sponsor comic book titles for the comic book industry’s most anticipated annual event, Free Comic Book Day. FCBD happens each year on the first Saturday in May at participating comic book shops worldwide, with next year’s event taking place on May 5th, 2018.
The titles were curated by over twenty comic shop retailers who make up the FCBD Selection Committee and the comics feature something for everyone: from superheroes, to popular films and television shows, to beloved video game franchises, and all-ages favorites. The Gold Sponsor titles come from the industry’s top publishers, including:
- DC Entertainment (TBA)
- Marvel Comics (MARVEL AVENGERS/CAPTAIN AMERICA)
- Dark Horse Comics (OVERWATCH/BLACK HAMMER)
- IDW Publishing (TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON: THE DARKEST HOUR #0)
- Image Comics (BARRIER #1)
- Archie Comics (RIVERDALE)
- BOOM! Studios (MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS SPECIAL)
- First Second Books (COMICS FRIENDS FOREVER)
- Joe Books (DISNEY PRINCESS: ARIEL SPOTLIGHT)
- Oni Press (INVADER ZIM: FLOOPSY BLOOPS SHMOOPSY)
- Titan Comics (DOCTOR WHO #0)
- VIZ Media (POKÉMON: SUN AND MOON / POKÉMON: HORIZON).
“With 91 titles submitted from over 70 publishers, the FCBD Retailer Committee had to make some tough choices for this year’s Free Comic Book Day,” said FCBD spokesperson Dan Manser, “but we think retailers and fans alike will be thrilled with the sponsor titles chosen for 2018. Free Comic Book Day is the comics industry’s most important event—a day to celebrate comic books and comic shops, and to introduce family and friends to the comics medium we all know and love. It’s important that the titles reflect the varied interests of people coming into stores these days—and we believe there’s a comic book for everyone this Free Comic Book Day!”
The full line-up of this year’s comic books will be announced next week, when thirty-eight additional FCBD Silver titles will be announced on Tuesday, December 19th. A complete listing of all fifty FCBD titles, as well as two education titles about the industry, will also be found in the January issue of Diamond Comic Distributors’ PREVIEWS catalog, on sale at all comic book shops December 27th, 2017.