We’re excited to announce that We Can Be Heroes is launching its text 2 give effort at this weekend’s WonderCon 2012 in Anaheim. Fans at WonderCon and beyond will have multiple opportunities to donate to the campaign by texting “HEROES” to 80888 to contribute crucially needed funds directly from their phones. DC Entertainment will match all donations 100%.
With panels throughout all three days and lots of activities at the DC Entertainment booth on the show floor, there will be plenty of great opportunities for Heroes fans to support the campaign.
If you are attending WonderCon, check out the green screen photo booth where you can pose with the Jim Lee-designed We Can Be Heroes campaign backdrop. It’s a great way to not only show off that you’re a fan of Justice League but that you too have made the choice to be a hero to the people of the Horn of Africa. And please be sure to visit us at the following DC Comics panel discussions to possibly win a signed poster:
- Friday at 1pm: DC Comics: All Access
- Saturday at 1pm: DC Comics: The New 52
- Sunday at 2pm: DCE: Meet the Publishers
You can also win exclusive We Can Be Heroes products including campaign posters signed by Jim Lee and Geoff Johns. Be sure to stay tuned to the DC Comics Twitter profile and Facebook page throughout WonderCon for your opportunity to win.
We’re hoping you will join us at WonderCon for a great couple of days of talking about comics. And we’re hoping you will join us in becoming a hero to those in the Horn in Africa who are in such dire need.
About We Can Be Heroes
We Can Be Heroes (www.WeCanBeHeroes.org) is a giving campaign designed to raise awareness and funds for the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa. Using the iconic Justice League characters from DC Entertainment, We Can Be Heroes aims to raise substantial funds for three humanitarian aid organizations working in Africa: Save the Children, International Rescue Committee, and Mercy Corps. DC Entertainment will match donations up to $1 million in total donations, and 50% of the purchase price from We Can Be Heroes products will go directly to saving lives. Learn more, donate and get involved at www.WeCanBeHeroes.org.
DC Entertainment will be attending WonderCon this weekend, at Booth #501, and has provided a short list of attending guests:
Sergio Aragones, Brian Buccellato, Mike Choi, Shane Davis, Alex Garner, Mick Gray, Viktor Kalvachev, Jim Lee, Dustin Nguyen, Norm Rapmund, Scott Snyder, Ryan Snook (Friday and Saturday only), J. Michael Straczynski, Len Wein, Scott Williams, Marv Wolfman and many more.
They also promise details on BEFORE WATCHMEN, DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, the DC Nation animation block and Vertigo.
Via Nerdist News:
The lineup for this year’s WonderCon is simply conbelievable! Puns notwithstanding, we put together a programming guide for the discerning nerd, so you can relax and set your phasers to “fun.”
Penned-Up Aggression- Like the X-Men in Arcade’s death mazes, so shall three of the fastest cartoonists alive fall prey to the whims of taskmaster Mark Evanier in the standing-room only Quick Draw (2:00-3:00PM, Room 204)! Saddle up as Scott Shaw (The Simpsons), Floyd Norman (Disney), and a third mystery cartoonist take twenty paces, then draw like they’ve never drawn before.
Happy Trails - Don’t miss Saturday’s Trailer Park (12:00-12:30, Third Floor Ballroom) to see the latest and greatest trailers for movies coming to a theater near you. Plus, we all know that everyone’s favorite part of the movie is loudly saying whether or not you’d go see the film immediately after the trailer ends.
QMXceptional - We want you to have as good of a time as we always do, so head over to our friends at QMX (booth #463) and tell em’ “Nerdist sent me” to score 10% off all non-artisan goods. Considering what they’re packing (Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Horrible and more), you’re gonna need every penny.
Koto-a-Go-Go - Our friends at Kotobukiya are renowned for their model behavior, so it figures that the figuremakers would reward you for speaking that self-same phrase if you stop by booth #563: you will automatically be entered to win their unreleased Marvel Fine Arts Magneto statue, a must for any would-be homo superior, and the first 40 people will get a Mass Effect 3 Omni-Tool, real-life DLC for free!
One Nerd To Rule Them All - Whatever you do, make sure to clear your schedule at 5:30 PM on Friday for Nerdist Industries Live!, in which Chris Hardwick, alongside awesome guests from your favorite podcasts and the upcoming Nerdist Channel on YouTube, will take you on a journey into the heart of nerd-ness. Stick around afterwards to get prime real estate for the world premiere of Superman vs. The Elite and turn your enjoyment meter up to eleven.
Whatever you do, consult our full WonderCon coverage first to make sure your weekend kicks ass, takes names then asks those names for an autograph.
Wonders at WonderCon– Golden “Special Guest”; Calero Added to line-up!
Anaheim, CA– WonderCon, one of the country’s best comics and pop culture conventions, moves to Anaheim, CA and the beautiful Anaheim Convention Center for 2012 with Special Guest– Michael Golden in attendance for the first time. Also from Eva Ink Artist Group, we are please to announce that artist Dennis Calero and writer Renee Witterstaetter will also be attending this West Coast mainstay event.
Taking place the weekend of March 16-18 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), WonderCon is coming off its best year ever, with over 49,000 attendees in its 25th annual event.
This year proves to be equally exciting. Here’s a little about one of this year’s invited guests, Michael Golden:
Dr. Strange, The ‘Nam, Micronauts, Bucky O’Hare
Artist/writer/creator Michael Golden, co-creator of the X-Men’s Rogue character, Spartan X, and Bucky O’Hare, is known for his groundbreaking work on The ‘Nam, Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Dr. Strange, and numerous other characters and titles. He is counted as one of the best cover designers and storytellers in the business. Currently, Golden’s work can be seen as the regular cover artist for Spawn, while future work includes a few secret projects for IDW and DC and the Spartan X trade paperback.
Michael will be located at table AA 060, along with writer, Renee Witterstaetter
X-Men Noir, Legion of Superheroes, Cowboys and Aliens
Dennis Calero is the award winning and internationally recognized artist of X-Men: Noir and Legion of Superheroes. His work includes 28 Days Later: The Aftermath, Cowboys and Aliens, Dark Tower, Fallen Angel, Hawkgirl, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, Magic The Gathering, Countdown to Final Crisis, Wolverine: First Class and JSA Classified. During his tenure on X-Factor the title was nominated for the Harvey Award for Best New Series (2006). Calero also co-founded Atomic Paintbrush, one of the first computer-coloring companies working in the comic-book field.
Dennis will be located at table AA 020
WonderCon will take place at the Anaheim Convention Center this year, which is within easy walking distance of Disneyland’s free Downtown Disney district, featuring shopping and fine dining.
WonderCon itself offers attendees, professionals, and exhibitors the complete convention experience. In addition to the Exhibit Hall featuring comics and items from the many worlds of the popular arts, fans can expect exclusive programming from the top comics publishers in the country, movie and television panels, anime, autographs, games, the Masquerade, and portfolio review, providing one of the best conventions out there. With the change of venue to Anaheim in 2012, WonderCon is more than ever a “must-attend” event on the convention calendar, especially with the addition of the beautiful Anaheim Convention Center and surrounding area as a bonus to both long-time and new attendees. Make it a long late-winter weekend in Anaheim and visit WonderCon, then take in Disneyland right next door after the convention!
But for that first bit of “wonder,” stop and visit Golden and Calero at the show!
For more information on WonderCon go to: http://www.comic-con.org/wc/
To follow all Eva Ink news, follow our blog at: http://witterstaetterwrites.
Hero Initiative, the non-profit organization that aids comic creators in medical and financial need, attends WonderCon on March 16-18, 2012 at the Anaheim Convention center located at 800 West Katella in Anaheim, California. Joining us will be Dawn creator Joseph Michael Linsner. Joe will be at the Hero Initiative booth, #204, all weekend.
Joe will have books and original art on hand and will be doing sketches, so don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity! “Hero is a fantastic organization that does so much good for the comics community that I feel honored to be able to help out in any way I can,” said Linsner. “The heroic folks at Hero really live up to their name. All they need are capes—they already have super-powers.”
Marv Wolfman, Christian Gossett, Mark Waid, Mike McKone, and Scott Koblish will also be stopping by for signings and sketches throughout the weekend. Check details below:
Friday, March 16 (con hours 12-7)
3:00-4:00: Marv Wolfman
Saturday, March 17 (con hours 10-7)
10:30-12:30: Christian Gossett
2:30-3:30: Mark Waid
4:30-5:30: Mike McKone
Sunday, March 18 (con hours 11-5)
1:00-2:30: Scott Koblish
About The Hero Initiative
The Hero Initiative is the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated strictly to helping comic book artists and craftsmen in need. Hero Initiative creates a financial safety net for yesterday’s creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. It’s a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment.
Since its inception, The Hero Initiative has had the good fortune to grant over $500,000 to the comics veterans who have paved the way for those in the industry today. For more information, visit www.heroinitiative.org or call 626-676-6354.
ALTERNATES, INMATES AND ANIMATION INFILTRATE ANAHEIM AS WARNER BROS. WOWS WONDERCON
Warner Bros. Television Escapes to the O.C. with Panels for Alcatraz, Fringe and DC Nation, and Fans Can See The Secret Circle and Person of Interest on the Big Screen
BURBANK, Calif. (February 24, 2012) — Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) breaks free and travels to the other side — aka the O.C. — for another exciting weekend at WonderCon 2012, starting with an exclusive advance screening of a never-before-seen episode of The Secret Circle (Thursdays 9/8c The CW) and an explosive episode of Person of Interest (Thursdays 9/8c CBS) on the big screen on Friday, March 16. Then fans can supercharge their Saturday with a special video presentation and panel session for DC Nation — the new one-hour programming block from Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment — on March 17. And on Sunday, March 18, sample the best of Bad Robot Productions with mind-bending panel sessions for Alcatraz (Mondays 9/8c FOX, moving to 8/7c on March 5) and Fringe (Fridays 9/8c FOX).
Stars and producers scheduled to attend WonderCon 2012 include:
- Alcatraz stars Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia, Jonny Coyne and Parminder Nagra, along with executive producers Jennifer Johnson, Daniel Pyne, Jack Bender and co-creators/co-executive producers Bryan Wynbrandt and Steve Lilien
- Fringe stars John Noble, Seth Gabel and executive producers J.H. Wyman and Jeff Pinkner. Additional cast members to be announced.
- DC Nation: Young Justice producers Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman; Green Lantern: The Animated Series producers Jim Krieg and Giancarlo Volpe; and DC animated shorts producers Lauren Faust and Ben Jones
- Alcatraz, Fringe and DC Nation casts and producers will all be signing at the DC Entertainment booth, #501
In addition, WBTV will present not one, but two special screenings exclusively for WonderCon audiences, offering fans a sneak peak — on the big screen — of The Secret Circle’s “Curse” episode six days before its broadcast on Thursday, March 22 (9/8c on The CW), as well as an episode of the hit action-drama Person of Interest.
For continuing information about the Studio’s plans at WonderCon, please follow us on Twitter at@thewbdotcom.
Following are the WBTV and DC Nation panel dates, as well as signing dates and times for WonderCon 2012. Official panel times to be announced by WonderCon.
FRIDAY, MARCH 16
Exclusive Warner Bros. Television Screenings — For the third straight year, Warner Bros. Television kicks off WonderCon with special screenings of fan-favorite series. For 2012, WBTV will present on the big screen episodes of the first-year hit dramas The Secret Circle, from executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries), and Person of Interest, from creator Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight) and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions (Fringe, Lost). Ballroom
- The Secret Circle: The ordinary becomes the extraordinary in The Secret Circle, a drama full of mystery, intrigue and danger from executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries) and based upon the book series by L.J. Smith (The Vampire Diaries). The series chronicles the story of a young girl who discovers not only that she is a witch and part of a secret coven, but that she is the key which will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil. WBTV has conjured up a WonderCon exclusive premiere screening of the “Curse” episode, a full six days in advance of its on-air debut Thursday, March 22, at 9/8c on The CW. Britt Robertson (Scream 4), Thomas Dekker (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Gale Harold (Queer as Folk), Phoebe Tonkin (H20: Just Add Water), Shelley Hennig (Days of our Lives), Jessica Parker Kennedy (50/50), Chris Zylka (upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man) and Natasha Henstridge (Species) star in the series, which is executive produced by Williamson, Andrew Miller (Nothing), Andrea Newman (Human Target), Leslie Morgenstein (The Vampire Diaries) and Gina Girolamo (The Lying Game). From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Secret Circle airs Thursdays at 9/8c on The CW. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesecretcircle and follow The CW on Twitter @CW_network.
- Person of Interest: Jim Caviezel (The Thin Red Line), Comic-Con favorite Michael Emerson (Lost) and Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow) team up in this thought-provoking crime action-drama from The Dark Knight’s Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions (Fringe, Lost, Alias). Set in New York City, with all of its multifaceted elements of justice (cops, criminals, corruption), Person of Interest centers on an ex-CIA agent, presumed dead, who partners with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes, and the detectives tracking them. Person of Interest makes its WonderCon debut with a screening of a complete episode on the big screen. In addition to Caviezel, Emerson and Henson, Kevin Chapman (Rescue Me) also stars in Person of Interest, which airs Thursdays at 9/8c on CBS. Jonathan Nolan, J.J. Abrams (Star Trek), Greg Plageman (Cold Case) and Bryan Burk (Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) are the executive producers of the series, from Bonanza Productions in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of the show on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PersonOfInterestCBS and follow the show on Twitter@PersonInterest.
SATURDAY, MARCH 17
- 4:00 p.m. • DC Nation Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- DC Nation Special Video Presentation and Q&A — From the pages of DC Comics to the television screens of fans across the country comes DC Nation, a new one-hour exclusive kids programming block from Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment. DC Nation stars some of the most beloved and legendary heroes of the DC Universe, brought to life by some of the most talented directors, writers and producers working in animation today. Anchored by Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice, DC Nation airs Saturdays from 10:00–11:00 a.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network. Fans attending the WonderCon 2012 DC Nation panel will be treated to exclusive video content filled with plenty of sneak peeks from the DC Nation block. In addition, an all-star panel featuring Young Justice producersBrandon Vietti (Batman Under the Red Hood) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles), Green Lantern: The Animated Series producers Jim Krieg (Ben 10: Alien Swarm) and Giancarlo Volpe (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and DC animated shorts producers Lauren Faust (The Powerpuff Girls, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) and Ben Jones (Batman: The Brave and The Bold) will take the stage for a moderated Q&A. Learn more about DC Nation atwww.dcnation.com and follow the show on Twitter @DC_nation. Room 204ABC
SUNDAY, MARCH 18
- 12:00 Noon • Fringe Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- 1:30 p.m. • Alcatraz Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- Alcatraz Special Video Presentation and Q&A — Don’t miss this classified session with stars Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy), Jorge Garcia (Lost), Jonny Coyne (Lara Craft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life) and Parminder Nagra (ER); executive producers Jennifer Johnson (Lost), Daniel Pyne (Lost) and Jack Bender (Lost); and co-creators/co-executive producers Bryan Wynbrandt and Steven Lilien (both Kyle XY) dishing the ultimate insider information about the mysterious 1963 disappearance of the Alcatraz inmates, guards and staff. Fans will learn about where they’ve been and why they are returning, and the creative team will reveal exclusive information about the remaining episodes of the first season. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television, Alcatraz currently airs Mondays at 9/8c on FOX, and moves to 8/7c on March 5. Become a fan of Alcatraz on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AlcatrazonFOX and follow the show on Twitter @AlcatrazonFOX.
- Fringe Special Video Presentation and Q&A — Join series stars John Noble (The Lord of the Rings), Seth Gabel (The Da Vinci Code) and executive producers Jeff Pinkner (Lost) andJ.H. Wyman (The Mexican) of the mind-bending, universe-crossing series Fringe for a Q & A session and get a sneak peek of what is to come, as the fates of all your favorite characters hang in the balance between two universes, two timelines and too many creepy bad guys to go around. Talk doppelgangers, shapeshifters, Observers and whatever Walter is cooking up! Now in its fourth season, Fringe continues to explore new cases with endless impossibilities. From Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Fringe airs Fridays at 9/8c on FOX. Become a fan of Fringe on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Fringe and follow the show on Twitter @FRINGEonFOX. Ballroom
The 2012 edition of Comic-Con Annual is now available online. This all-new publication is a veritable 80-page giant, and features an exclusive new cover photo of Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield from the upcoming movie The Amazing Spider-Man. Interviews with Stone and director Marc Webb are part of the Annual’s “Year of the Spider” coverage, which also includes articles on the Webslinger’s 50th anniversary in comics, focusing on Stan Lee, Steve Ditko (by Blake Bell), and the father/son team of artists John Romita Sr. and John Romita Jr. (by Tom Spurgeon). Additional feature articles celebrate the 75th anniversary of Hal Foster’s Prince Valiant (by Foster biographer Brian M. Kane), and the 30th anniversary of Love & Rockets (by Charles Brownstein). Plus a Comic-Con 2011 photo album, advance looks at Comic-Con International, WonderCon, and APE in 2012, and much more! The online version of the Annual features embedded links to specific Comic-Con.org website pages for the latest information on all three events. Click on the links in the purple boxes to visit the website for updates! View below or download your own personal PDF!
Lay, Snyder, Wheaton and Even More Guests Flock to WonderCon
WonderCon in Anaheim features increasingly stellar lineup
Anaheim, CA – WonderCon, part of Comic-Con International’s (CCI) family of nonprofit comics conventions, announced the latest additions to a guest list that already has fans buying passes at an unprecedented pace for the three-day celebration of comics and related popular art forms. The additions include fan favorites cartoonist Carol Lay (WayLay, The Simpsons), award-winning writer Scott Snyder (Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing), and actor/author Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Big Bang Theory). WonderCon will be held March 16-18, 2012.
Passes and hotel accommodations for WonderCon became available on www.comic-con.org/wc/ in December. The event, traditionally held in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1987, relocated the Anaheim Convention Center for 2012 due to renovations at the usual venue. Organizers for the event are pleased to offer southern Californian fans a chance to attend WonderCon who otherwise may not have been able to make the trek to San Francisco. Fans from Orange County and the Los Angeles area have expressed delight in having an event akin to San Diego Comic-Con at their doorstep.
WonderCon’s format resembles the world-renowned Comic-Con albeit on a reduced scale. The 2011 WonderCon welcomed nearly 50,000 attendees, which is less than half of the 130,000 who attended the 2011 San Diego show.
Joining Lay, Snyder, and Wheaton among the newly announced special guests are Renae De Liz (artist/editor, Womanthology, The Last Unicorn), Rebekah Isaacs (artist, Angel & Faith, Magus), Todd Nauck (artist, Amazing Spider-Man, Young Justice), Humberto Ramos (artist, Amazing Spider-Man, Impulse, Crimson), and Ryan Sook (artist, The Spectre; cover artist, Justice League Dark, DCU Presents). For a complete list and bios of the previously announced special guests, who include award-winning comics writers and artists as well as novelists and screenwriters, visit www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_
“The guest list just keeps getting more impressive,” said David Glanzer, director of marketing and public relations for WonderCon and parent company, Comic-Con International. “That, along with rapid badge sales, indicates WonderCon will be just as exciting, if not more so, than the 2011 blockbuster show.”
WonderCon, one of the country’s best comics and popular arts conventions, is part of Comic-Con International (CCI), a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular art forms. The organization achieves its mission primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture. In addition to WonderCon each spring, CCI organizes San Diego Comic-Con each summer (the world’s largest comics convention of its kind) and San Francisco’s Alternative Press Expo (APE) each fall. On the web: WonderCon.org, Facebook.com/comiccon,Twitter.com/wondercon.
Marvel has announced plans to attend 4 conventions in 2012, hitting the usual high spots with 2 stops in California plus Chicago and New York: