March 1, 2017 by Joe Fauvel
Filed under Animation, Anime, Collectibles, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Gaming, Horror, Manga, Movies, Rhode Island, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Sports, Television, Video Games, Webcomics
Also at RICC:
Image Comics is pleased to return to Seattle this year for Emerald City Comic Con on Thursday, March 2nd through Sunday, March 5th. Please note: updates to the schedule may appear online during the show. Please refer to the www.imagecomics.com post for the most up-to-date information.
LIMITED* CONVENTION EXCLUSIVE VARIANTS SOLD AT THE IMAGE BOOTH (#1510):
* Quantities will be limited by customer and per day on a first come, first served basis. Please ask at the Image booth about availability.
- ROYAL CITY #1 by Jeff Lemire, $10 (+tax)
- THE OLD GUARD #1 by Greg Rucka & Leandro Fernandez, $10 (+tax)
- CURSE WORDS #1 by Charles Soule & Ryan Browne, price $10, (sold at Artist Alley table V1 & V2 only)
- RAT QUEENS #1 by Kurtis Wiebe & Owen Gieni, $10 (+tax) (sold at Artist Alley table F10 only)
- MAGDALENA #0 by Tini Howard, Ryan Cady & Christian Dibari, $2 (sold only at Artist Alley table S-1)
- SEVEN TO ETERNITY, VOL. 1 hardcover by Rick Remender & Jerome Opena, $35 (+tax)
- KILL OR BE KILLED, VOL. 1 hardcover by Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips & Elizabeth Breitweiser, $35 (+tax)
- GLITTERBOMB, VOL. 1 trade paperback by Jim Zub & Djibril Morissette-Phan, cover by Ray Fawkes, $15 (+tax), (sold at Artist Alley table V3 only)
* Limited quantity available for sale at the Image booth.
- BLACK SCIENCE statue, $150 (+tax)
- Exclusive ECCC DESCENDER print, $5 (+tax), (proceeds to benefit the ACLU)
- Image Comics’ 25th Anniversary commemorative enamel pin, $10 (+tax)
PANELS HOSTED BY IMAGE COMICS:
Image Comics Announcements
Thursday, 4:15PM – 6:15PM
Image Comics is bringing the Future of Comics to Emerald City Comicon in 2017 with this special two-hour presentation. Featuring a keynote speech by publisher Eric Stephenson about the past, present, and future of comics and a full slate of brand-new series to be announced, this panel is sure to set the tone for the year and give you plenty of great comics to look forward to reading.
Image Comics: 25th Anniversary Founders Panel
Friday, 1PM- 2:30PM
Twenty-five years ago, a group of comics artists looked at the difference between what they were capable of and what they were being given, and left the promise of steady work for new pastures. The result was Image Comics, which has grown from an upstart group to a comics publisher that has changed the course of the industry. Image’s 25th anniversary year begins with this special event, a rare gathering that is not to be missed.
The Future Of Comics: Cultivating Identity
Friday, 4PM – 5PM
The comics you love the most tend to have a personal touch, something that helps you relate to the characters, or makes a fantastic situation more believable. Corinna Bechko (INVISIBLE REPUBLIC), Ray Fawkes (UNDERWINTER: SYMPHONY), Gabriel Hardman (THE BELFRY), and a few more special guests make works that use the personal touch to great effect, and they’re ready to share their insights with you.
The Future of Comics: Your Brand-New Favorites
Saturday, 12:15PM – 1:15PM
Your favorite comics don’t look anything like those of your parents, siblings, or even your friends. There is such a wide variety of material out there that you can grab a comic on nearly any subject and find something to fall in love with. The work of Charles Soule (CURSE WORDS), Kurtis Wiebe (RAT QUEENS), Daniel Warren Johnson (EXTREMITY), and Joe Harris & Megan Hutchison (ROCKSTARS) is fantastic, no matter the genre they’re working in. Come find your new favorite comics at this panel, and discover a few new favorite creators, too.
The Future of Comics: Pure Storytelling
Sunday, 1:15PM – 2:15PM
Curious about making comics? Want to give your storytelling talents a boost? Image Comics is pleased to present Kaare Andrews (RENATO JONES: THE ONE%), Jeff Lemire (ROYAL CITY), Emi Lenox (PLUTONA), Steve Lieber (THE FIX), and a few special guests. These cartoonists are incredibly talented, and experts in storytelling. Come pick the brains of the masters and enjoy a lively conversation about telling stories in comics.
SIGNINGS* HOSTED AT IMAGE COMICS BOOTH (#1510):
*wristbands will be available for fans to pick up as soon as doors open, first come, first served, at the Image booth on the day of the desired ticketed signing.
FRIDAY, MARCH 3
- 11:00 – 12:00 PM, Robert Kirkman* (wristband required, 3-item limit)
- 12:00 – 12:45 PM, Joseph Keatinge & Wook-Jin Clark
- 2:00 – 2:45 PM, Justin Jordan + surprise creator
- 3:00 – 3:45 PM, Joe Casey
- 3:00–4:30 PM: Image Comics Founders Signing in the Grand Ballroom at the Sheraton Hotel located next door to the Washington State Convention Center.* (ECCC will coordinate a ‘lottery system’ where badge-holding fans will submit their names and a lucky 300 fans will win a limited edition poster and admission to have it signed by the founders. Lottery applications are open on the Emerald City Comicon website until February 21. Details here).
- 4:00 – 4:45 PM, Kurtis Wiebe + Owen Gieni
- 5:00 – 5:45 PM, Donny Cates
- 5:00 – 5:45 PM, John Layman
SATURDAY, MARCH 4
- 11:00 – 11:45 PM, surprise creators
- 11:00 – 11:45 PM, Chris Sebela
- 12:15 – 1:15 PM, Robert Kirkman* (wristband required, 3-item limit)
- 1:00 – 1:45 PM, surprise creators
- 2:00 – 2:45 PM, Jeff Lemire* (wristband required, 3-item limit)
- 3:00 – 3:45 PM, Rick Remender* (wristband required, 3-item limit)
- 3:00 – 3:45 PM, Daniel Warren Johnson
- 4:00 – 4:45 PM, Declan Shalvey + Jordie Bellaire
- 5:00 – 5:45 PM, surprise creators
SUNDAY, MARCH 5
- 11:00 – 11:45 AM, Becky Cloonan
- 11:00 – 11: 45 AM, Stefano Gaudiano & Tony Akins
- 12:00 – 12:45 PM, Doug Wagner
- 1:00 – 1:45 PM, Rick Remender* (wristband required, 3-item limit)
IMAGE CREATORS IN ARTIST ALLEY:
Andrews, Kaare Kyle: F-9
Barber, Nick: U12
Bautista, Gabriel: DD13
Bechko, Corinna: N1
Belanger, Andy: U6
Bergin, Joseph: Y3A
Brisson, Ed: U11
Browne, Ryan: V2
Casey, Joe: N9
Christmas, Johnny: U13
Dalrymple, Farel: E-7
DeConnick, Kelly Sue: J8
Dodson, Terry: A1/A2
Fairbairn, Nathan: DD16
Fawkes, Ray: J4
Fraction, Matt: J7
Gaudiano, Stefano: B3
Gerads, Mitch: C-2A
Giarrusso, Chris: V9
Greenwood, Justin: U11
Haberlin, Brian: Booth 1601
Hardman, Gabriel: N1
Harren, James: D7
Harris, Joe: V14
Hawkins, Matt: S-1
Haun, Jeremy: R4
Hutchison, Megan: V14
Keatinge, Joseph: U12
Kelly, Joe: N10
Latour, Jason: P7
Lemire, Jason: G1
Lieber, Steve: H16
Mahfood, Jim: U7
McClaren, Meredith: Booth 208
Norton, Mike: U-8
Robinson, Andrew: FF11
Rouleau, Duncan: N11
Seagle, Steven T.: N12
Schirmer, Brian: B9
Soule, Charles: V1
Wagner, Matt: L12
Ward, Malachi: E5
Wiebe, Kurtis: F10
Zub, Jim: V3
February 22, 2017 by Joe Fauvel
Filed under Animation, Anime, Collectibles, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Florida, Gaming, Horror, Manga, Movies, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Sports, Television, Video Games, Webcomics
Don’t miss your chance to meet the stars of the global phenomenon The Walking Dead at MegaCon May 25-28!
Norman Reedus and Jeffery Dean Morgan come to visit with fans!
Tickets available online:
Emerald City Comicon hosts a reunion of the Image Comics founders for their 25th anniversary on FRIDAY MARCH 3rd at 1:00 PM with an exclusive signing to follow (details at the link)!
Twenty-five years ago, a group of comics artists looked at the difference between what they were capable of and what they were being given, and left the promise of steady work for new pastures. The result was Image Comics, which has grown from an upstart group to a comics publisher that has changed the course of the industry. Image’s 25th anniversary year begins with this special event, a very rare gathering of original founders Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld, Erik Larsen, Jim Valentino, Marc Silvestri, and Whilce Portacio, moderated by Robert Kirkman.
Emerald City Comicon (ECCC) is the premier comic book & pop culture convention in the Pacific Northwest. Join us March 2-5, 2017. For tickets and more information please go to the website: www.emeraldcitycomicon.com
On February 1, 1992 seven comics superstars Erik Larsen, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Marc Silvestri, and Jim Valentino came together to form their own company that would ultimately change the landscape of comics forever. Current partners McFarlane, Valentino, Kirkman, Larsen, and Silvestri collectively have brought creator-owned comics to the forefront of industry change and, after 25 years of amazing storytelling freedom, Image is pleased to celebrate the milestone anniversary with Image Day—Feb. 1, 2017.
Image Comics wouldn’t have succeeded without the tremendous creativity and passion of its creators, the unwavering support of retailers, bookstores, and libraries, or the unbridled and unrelenting enthusiasm of the fans who show up each and every Wednesday to purchase Image titles. On Image Comics Day we celebrate together, nationwide, the exciting legacy that Image’s creator-owned publishing model has cultivated as we prepare for the next 25 years of amazing creator-owned comics to come.
There will be Image Comics promotions, giveaways, creator signings, social media events, and more—don’t miss out on all the festivities and check back to the events pages on imagecomics.com for more information and announcements about Image Comics Day celebrations near you.
Comics retailers are encouraged to jump on board this Image Day, February 1 and will be contacted by Jeff Stang, Director of Specialty Sales, with more information on how to participate.
Join us for the single most anticipated day of the year, as we come together and celebrate the 25th anniversary of Image Comics—but more importantly, the 25 years of true creative freedom and history-making storytelling from the best writers and artists in the world.
MICHAEL WILL BE ATTENDING ALL 3 DAYS!
3 DAY PASSES SOLD-OUT!
SINGLE DAY DISCOUNT TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE!
The Steel City Comic Con is very pleased to announce that Michael Cudlitz will be attending the upcoming Steel City Comic Con. Michael is known for portraying John Cooper on the TNT drama series Southland, Sergeant Denver “Bull” Randleman on the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers, and Sergeant Abraham Ford on the AMC horror series The Walking Dead.
Ticket availability at www.steelcitycon.com
Michael Cudlitz will be available for signings and professional photo ops. Don’t miss this rare opportunity.
UmiCon Daytona Preview: Interview with Actor Steven Ogg (The Walking Dead, Westworld, Grand Theft Auto)
If you don’t recognize his face as soon as you see him, Steven Ogg’s voice will certainly give him away. The charismatic actor gained notoriety portraying the critically acclaimed ‘Trevor Phillips’ in Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto V.
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Ogg has been acting nearly all his life. Some recent notable appearances include Grand Theft Auto V, Comedy Central’s Broad City, and AMC’s Better Call Saul. Fans of AMC’s mega-hit, The Walking Dead, know Ogg as one of the ‘Saviors’ that led Rick and company into Negan’s trap. (Keep an eye out for Ogg when TWD returns this fall as he has been filming for their 7th season). Ogg will also be seen this fall in the HBO series Westworld, an adaptation of a Michael Crichton novel and 1973 sci-fi film of the same name. Ogg will be appearing at UmiCon Daytona next month!
Here is a taste of our Q&A…
CS: Do you have any preference between doing voice work to traditional acting roles?
SO: The voice acting thing, it gets that sort of label, but it’s something I’ve never recognized because I think acting is acting. Really, you’re either working or you’re not. That’s the difference.
…With these different mediums, like obviously with GTA, the video game was a motion capture, which is basically an animated performance. So take any performance, be it theater, film, TV, or any other medium and animate it, and that’s what the video game experience was, primarily. Of course, there was some recorded dialogue, where we’re just in the car talking, and that’s strictly voice-over. But certainly, any of the voice acting, for me, it’s still words that you have to communicate. That’s your job.
CS: And, you started with community theater, is that correct?
SO: I did, yeah. I started in Alberta, Canada. The theater is where I began. And that’s the same thing; you get a play, you read, and you have to communicate those words and create a character, and serve the writer.
CS: Have you ever done a musical?
SO: I love music. I’m not a musical theater guy, but I’ve always wanted to do, actually, something where you do like [pauses] Moulin Rouge! You remember when Baz Luhrmann did Moulin Rouge! with Ewan McGregor? That! I mean, Ewan McGregor [sighs] It’s like the guy smiles and I melt. I’m like, Oh your beautiful smile! I love that idea of doing something like that, but I thought even their voices were too good! Like it would be interesting to do something where you have-I’m trying to come up with a better example-but where you have someone break into song, but they’re not…It’s not about the quality of the voice, it’s just about the passion.
… You just start singing cause you love that song or it represents another way to communicate. I’m always quoting song lyrics and singing away, but as far as me going and doing Phantom of the Opera with Norm Lewis? No. No, thanks.
CS: [On TWD season 6 finale] Does anybody come up to you and start doing that whistle?
SO: Interestingly, no. People talk about it, like ‘that whistle creeps me out’ [starts whistling into the phone]
CS: That was one of the creepiest things!
SO: Yeah, they created something really good and creepy with that one. It’s weird cause like, most people come up and they either want me to be mean to them, or just curse at them, or pretend to strangle them. And I’m just like, really? Like, I’m the hug-it-out-guy. I mean, [in a ‘Trevor’-sounding voice] I’ll hold you for an uncomfortably long time, maybe a little too close than you want. But I ain’t gonna strangle ya or swear atcha. I don’t want to do that.
[On his upcoming UmiCon Daytona appearance this September 9-11, 2016]
SO: Certainly, my priority is always work. So, if I have to be somewhere shooting and I’m working Monday, well then my focus is on working Monday, not the cons. But, when I have the time I certainly love to do them! And I certainly feel very grateful for the opportunity to do them. And, to meet people is great.
CS: I know that your fans are grateful that you do take the time to come and do that. We appreciate it.
SO: Well, it’s a mutual appreciation zone.
If you want to take part in the “appreciation zone”, be sure to come out and meet Steven Ogg, and many more, at UmiCon Daytona September 9-11, 2016.
Like each year, Splash Page Comic Art will be set up at Comic-Con International in San Diego at Booth #4400. This is near the Hall G Entrance.
THURSDAY July 21st from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM: CHARLIE ADLARD, artist of The Walking Dead will be at the booth for a Cosmic Rays album signing.
Cosmic Rays are Charlie’s band, and we’ll be selling a limited number of signed albums that come with a 8 1/2 X 11″ Charlie Adlard sketch. The only sketches offered will be drawn on 8 1/2 x 11″ lightweight paper and come with the Album purchase. We will have a 1st come 1st serve selection of pre-drawn sketch/album packages that cost $100.
We will also offer a limited number of packages for $150 in which you may choose a character as time permits on 8 1/2 X 11 lightweight paper that we provide. No blank covers, large boards, or additional sketches will be done.
Autographs will be limit one (1) item per person. This is in addition to the album should you choose to purchase it. Charlie will also sign an additional item per original art purchase.
These are some of the actual sketches that will come with the album package.
SATURDAY July 23rd 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM LEE BERMEJO, artist/writer of Suiciders, Batman: Noel, writer of We Are Robin, and artist of The Joker, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, and more will be signing at the Splash Page booth.
Lee will offer a very limited number of FREE sketch opportunities.
One free sketch per person with a $300 original art purchase of his.
This is just an example and will NOT be available. You may choose your own character choice with Lee’s approval.
Contact us immediately to bring specific pieces you would like to purchase at the show as we will not be able to bring our entire inventory. We will have a selection of art from our brand new artists Roland Boschi and Szymon Kudranski, new Walking Dead covers, Michael Lark Lazarus pages, Paolo Rivera Hellboy pages, and much more.
Florida Supercon is the LARGEST Comic Con in Miami. Supercon takes place JULY 1-4, 2016 at THE MIAMI BEACH CONVENTION CENTER and FILLMORE MIAMI BEACH AT THE JACKIE GLEASON THEATER!
Find the best in Comic Books, Media Guests, Anime, Animation, Video Games, Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Pop Culture in South Florida. Florida Supercon is 4 days of fun featuring celebrity guests, comic book creators, voice actors, industry guests, cosplayers, artists, writers, panels, Q&A’s, films & shorts, costume & cosplay contests, vendors, parties, anime, workshops, video gaming and more!
Some of the highlights for Florida Supercon 2016 include:
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Celebration: William Shatner “Captain Kirk”, Walter Koenig “Pavel Chekov”, Michael Dorn “Worf”, Denise Crosby “Tasha Yar”, Robert Picardo “The Doctor”, René Auberjonois “Odo”, Robert Duncan McNeill “Tom Paris”, David Warner “Chancellor Gorkon & St. John Talbot”, Chase Masterson “Leeta the Bajoran”, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow star: Casper Crump “Vandal Savage”.
- FOX’S Gotham star: Ben McKenzie “Jim Gordon”.
- Doctor Who star: Alex Kingston “River Song.”
- The Walking Dead Cast Members: Michael Cudlitz “Abraham Ford”, and Denise Crosby “Mary”.
- Star Wars Cast Members: Jeremy Bulloch “Boba Fett”, Tim Rose “Admiral Ackbar”, Jessica Henwick “Jessika Pava”, Chris Parsons “4-Lom”, and Star Wars: A New Hope special effects co-ordinator Bruce Logan.
- First Time Ever TRON Reunion: Bruce Boxleitner “TRON”, David Warner “Sark”, Cindy Morgan “Yori”, and TRON Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- Game of Thrones cast members: Natalia Tena “Osha” and Jessica Henwick “Nymeria Sand”.
- Harry Potter stars: Natalia Tena “Tonks”, and Devon Murray “Seamus Finnigan”.
- Sesame Street cast members: Emilio Delgado “Luis” and Bob McGrath “Bob Johnson”.
- Steven Universe stars: Zach Callison “Steven”, Michaela Dietz “Amethyst”, and Grace Rolek “Connie”.
- Wrestling Superstars: Mick Foley, Diamond Dallas Page, Mickie James, The Godfather, Road Warrior Animal, and Demolition.
- Pokémon 20th Anniversary Celebration: Veronica Taylor “Ash Ketchum”, Michael Liscio Jr. “Clemont and Inkay”, Tara Sands “Bulbasaur, Richie, Sammy, Oddish and Jasmine”, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld “Bonnie, Nurse Joy, Jasmine and Audino”, and Haven Paschall “Serena, Concordia, and Ellie”.
- Anime Stars: Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, Ouran High School Host Club), Caitlin Glass (Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, Ouran High School), Steve Blum (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo), Trina Nishimura (Attack on Titan, Witchblade, Claymore), and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (Ghost In The Shell, Sailor Moon).
- Animation Stars: Tara Strong (Teen Titans Go), Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time), Dana Snyder (Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies), Jim Cummings (Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Darkwing Duck), Larry Kenney (Thundercats, Count Chocula), Charles Martinet (Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Toadsworth, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi for Nintendo), Steve Blum (Transformers: Prime, Wolverine and the X-Men, Legend of Korra), and Andy Sipes (Triptank, Code Monkeys, and Archer).
- Dozens of Comic Book Artists and Writers: Keith Giffen, Greg Capullo, Fabian Nicieza, Joe Keatinge, Leila del Duca, Neal Adams, José Luis Garcia-Lopez, Jorge Molina, Ramón Pérez, Jill Thompson, Colleen Doran, Scott Kolins, Allen Bellman, Scott Hepburn, Trevor Von Eeden, Elliot S! Maggin, Brad Walker, Khary Randolph, John Beatty, Shawn Crystal, Brent Schoonover, Cory Smith, Tony Bedard, Mateus Santolouco, Tony Bedard, Jose Delbo, Greg Horn, Andy Kuhn, and many more!
- Power Ranger Cast Members: Austin St. John, Christopher Khayman Lee, Steve Cardenas, and Dan Southworth.
- More celebrities including: Henry Winkler (Happy Days, Children’s Hospital, The Waterboy), Kel Mitchell (Kenan & Kel, Good Burger, Mystery Men), Lisa Corrao (Every Witch Way), and many more to be announced!
- Multiple costume and cosplay events each day of the show, with thousands of dollars in cash and prizes on the line!
- Over 500,000 square feet of convention space featuring 700 booths and tables with vendors, celebrity guests, artists, filmmakers, and exhibits. 3 stages of entertainment, video games, plus a dozen rooms for panels, tabletop gaming and screenings.
Click here to get tickets.
FSC is JULY 1-4, 2016
THE MIAMI BEACH CONVENTION CENTER & FILLMORE MIAMI BEACH AT THE JACKIE GLEASON THEATER
1901 Convention Center Dr. • Miami Beach, FL 33139 • 305.673.7311
SUPERCON PHONE: 954.399.1330 email@example.com
Photo Ops tickets are now available for Boston Comic Con 2016 with media guests William Shatner (Star Trek’s original Captain Kirk), Karl Urban (Star Trek Beyond, Pete’s Dragon), Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who, Me Before You), Karen Gillan (Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Who), John Barrowman (Torchwood, Arrow), Ben McKenzie (Gotham, Southland), Elizabeth Henstridge (Agents of SHIELD), Caity Lotz (Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow), Robbie Amell (The Flash, X-Files), Ciara Renée (Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash), Seth Gilliam (The Walking Dead, Teen Wolf), and Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Star Trek Continues).
About Boston Comic Con:
The Boston Comic Con is a 100% independently run comic book show committed to bringing the biggest and best comic creators to New England. Run by fans for fans, Boston Comic Con is not affiliated with any other convention tour or corporate interests. Hosting over 120,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia, this is a destination event for geeks of any stripe. This year’s convention will be held Friday August 12th, Saturday August 13th, and Sunday August 14th at the Seaport World Trade Center, 200 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210. For more information please go to our website at www.bostoncomiccon.com and follow us on Twitter (@BostonComicCon) and Facebook!