Fan-demonium to Reach an All-Time High at 15th Annual Fan Expo Canada 2009
Leonard Nimoy, Linda Hamilton, Lou Ferrigno, and Bruce Campbell among the star-studded line-up at this year’s event
July 9, 2009, Toronto, ON – Expect to see a surge of Vulcans, Storm Troopers, Zombies, Dragonballers and other strange and wonderful characters across the city as Toronto hosts the largest combined gaming, horror, comic, science fiction and anime event in the country. The 15th annual Fan Expo Canada takes place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building on August 28-30, 2009.
Owned and operated by Hobby Star Marketing, Fan Expo Canada offers fans of every genre the chance to meet their favourite celebrities and pop culture heroes at autograph and photo sessions; participate in informational workshops with industry experts offering advice, tips and portfolio reviews; and shop for exclusive Fan Expo offers, collectables and memorabilia from more than 600 vendors.
“By offering unique experiences and opportunities to interact with icons, industry leaders, and other enthusiastic fans, Fan Expo delivers a signature event in Canada that satisfies fans’ cravings like no other,” says Aman Gupta, President of Hobby Star Marketing. “For the past 15 years Fan Expo Canada has been the only event to bring this level of fandom to Toronto and Fan Expo Canada 2009 will bring even more to visitors than ever before with incredible limited edition offers, the widest range of industry merchandise available, and appearances by genre demi-gods.”
Hobby Star Marketing Inc. was founded in 1992 and has quickly become one of Canada’s premiere sports and entertainment marketing companies. Since its inception, Hobby Star Marketing has secured a niche in the industry by specializing in professional sport and entertainment celebrity placement at a variety of venues and events.
SPECIAL CELEBRITY GUESTS:
SFX Science Fiction Expo, in association with SPACE – the official National Cable Broadcast Sponsor, guest list:
- LEONARD NIMOY – The legendary Mr. Spock of Star Trek
- LINDA HAMILTON – Sarah Connor celebrating the 25th Anniversary of The Terminator
- BILLY DEE WILLIAMS – Lando Calrissian of the Star Wars feature films
- BEAU BRIDGES – Major General Hank Landry of Stargate SG-1
- THOMAS DEKKER – John Connor of Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles
- MARY MCDONNELL – President Laura Roslin of Battlestar Galactica
- JAMES KYSON LEE – Ando of Heroes
- AVERY BROOKS – Captain Benjamin Sisko of Star Trek Deep Space Nine
- WALTER KOENIG – Pavel Chekov of Star Trek
- ROBERT DUNCAN MCNEILL – Tom Paris of Star Trek Voyager
- LOU FERRIGNO – The Incredible Hulk
- DAVE THOMAS – Doug of Bob and Doug McKenzie brothers
- LARRY THOMAS – Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi”
- TONY CURTIS – Legendary actor and Hollywood Icon
The Comic Book Expo guest list:
- JOE QUESADA – Editor In Chief Marvel Comics
- DAN DIDIO – Senior VP DC Comics
- CHRIS BACHALO – Legendary Artist
- MIKE DEODATO JR.- Artist Dark Avengers
- ETHAN VAN SCIVER – Artist of Flash Rebirth
- J MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI – Award winning writer
- STEVE MCNIVEN – Artist of Wolverine
- IVAN REIS – Artist of Green Lantern & The Blackest Night – Rare appearance!
- TERRY DODSON – Artist of Uncanny X-Men
- DAVID FINCH – Artist of Ultimatum
- OLIVIER COIPEL – Artist of Thor
- MATT FRACTION – Writer of Uncanny X-Men and Invincible Ironman
- MARKO DJURDJEVIC – Acclaimed Marvel Cover Artist & Thor
- LEN WEIN – Legendary Creator of Wolverine & Swamp Thing
- DARWYN COOKE – Artist of DC The New Frontier
- DALE EAGLESHAM – Artist of upcoming Fantastic Four
- BILL SIENKIEWICZ – Legendary Artist
- STUART IMMONNEN – Artist of New Avengers
- GEORGES JEANTY – Artist of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- RICHARD ISANOVE – Artist of Stephen King’s Dark Tower
- MIKE CHOI – Artist of X-Force
- DOUG SNEYD – Legendary Playboy Cartoonist
The Festival of Fear Horror Expo, sponsored by Rue Morgue Magazine, guest list:
- BRUCE CAMPBELL – Legendary Film Actor
- ROGER CORMAN – Legendary Director
- UDO KEIR – Acclaimed Actor
- BARBARA STEELE – Emmy Award-Winning Actress
- TOM SAVINI – FX Master and Actor
- ROBERT HALL – Award winning make up artist
- JAMES DUVAL – Acclaimed Horror Film Actor
- MAX BROOKS – Author Of The Zombie Survival Guide
- ART HINDLE – Acclaimed actor
- KELLEY ARMSTRONG – Best Selling Horror Author
- JACK KETCHUM – Best Selling Horror Author
- LLOYD KAUFMAN – Producer – Toxic Avenger
The CNAnime Expo celebrity guest list:
- SCOTT MCNEIL – voice star of Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragonball Z
- CRISPIN FREEMAN – voice star of Naruto, Eureka Seven, Ghost In the Shell
- BRAD SWAILE – voice star of Death Note, Mobile Suit Gundam
- AARON DISMUKE – voice star of Fullmetal Alchemist, Trinity Blood
- COLLEEN CLINKENBEARD – voice star of Fullmetal Alchemist, Trinity Blood
- MONICA RIAL – voice star of Kiddy Grade, Noir, Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
- BRINA PALENCIA – voice star of Claymore, Romeo A Juliet
- DEREK STEPHEN PRINCE – voice star of Bleach, Digimon
The GX – Gaming Expo, sponsored by Zellers & G4 Tech TV, celebrity guest list:
- STEVE DOWNES – Voice of Master Chief in the HALO video game series
- VICTOR LUCAS – Creator / Producer / Host of Electric Playground
- ED GREENWOOD – Creator / Author of Forgotten Realms
- JESS HARTLEY – Editor / Developer of White Wolf Publishing
- PIETER VAN HIEL – Role playing game Author of Sanguine Productions
- JONATHAN LAVALLEE – President of Firestorm Ink gaming publisher
- C.A. SULEIMAN – Director of Development CM Publishing
- MALCOLM SHEPPARD – Role playing game Author of White Wolf
Gaming fans will have the opportunity to take part in dozens of official tournaments, play new games, win prizes, meet with industry experts, attend seminars and view upcoming products.
- Canada’s largest Masquerade Costume Contest on Saturday, Aug. 29
- Industry Professional workshops for the public
- Millions of dollars of collectibles and memorabilia for sale
- Celebrity Q&A’s plus autograph and photo opportunities
- More than 600 commercial exhibitors and retailers offering a full range of pop culture and entertainment themed merchandise including comic books, toys, collectibles, games, videos, and more!
- Tons of costumed characters from your favourite TV shows & movies
- Introducing a reusable shopping tote, made from 100% recycled materials and designed specifically for fans to take their goodies home
- Exclusive show merchandise including:
- MEGAN FOX photo cover variant for issue one TRANSFORMERS: TALES OF THE FALLEN comic book – Limited to only 1000 copies
- STAR TREK: NERO comic, issue number one, “Spock Variant” edition – Limited to 1000 copies
- ULTIMATE AVENGERS comic #1, “Sketch cover variant” edition (Limited to 1500 copies)
- GREEN LANTERN: BLACKEST NIGHT Art Lithograph (Limited to 1500 copies) free and only available when you purchase a Fan Expo Premium Package
Stay tuned to www.fanexpocanada.com for more additions to this exciting line-up…
WHEN: AUGUST 28 – 30, 2009
Friday, August 28th 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 29th 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, August 30th 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
WHERE: Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building
222 Bremner Blvd. Toronto, Ontario
TICKETS: Basic Adult Day Pass $25.00
Kids under 12 years old are FREE when accompanied by an adult
See website for further details
SPECIAL EVENT TICKETS: Some celebrity presentations are specially ticketed events – for dates, times and prices, please call Ticketmaster (416) 872-7777 or visit www.fanexpocanada.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT www.fanexpocanada.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
St. Augustine, FL – June 26, 2009 – EXP Con adds Steve Downes, voice of Halo’s Master Chief, Vic Mignogna, and Troy Baker to guest list.
EXP Con: North Florida’s Video Game and Japanese Animation Convention
EXP Con has been determined to bring the fans of video games and Japanese animation some of the biggest names from the industry, and so far this year is no exception.
We are proud to announce as a Guest of Honor for EXP Con 2009 Steve Downes, the voice of iconic video game character Master Chief of the Halo series. Fans will get a chance to meet the man behind the mask at EXP Con 2009 for one of his rare convention appearances. He also works as the morning disc jockey for 97.1 WDRV “The Drive” in Chicago, Illinois.
Making his first trip over to the North Florida area is popular voice actor of both anime and video game fame, Vic Mignogna. Vic has been acting for stage and screen since he was 8 years old. But he started his career in anime about ten years ago as Vega in Streetfighter II. Since then Vic has been in more than a hundred shows, known for such roles as Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, Tamaki Suou in Ouran High School Host Club, Fai in Tsubasa Chronicle, Dark in DN Angel, Kurz in Full Metal Panic, Broly in Dragonball Z, Kougaijji in Saiyuki, Ikkaku in Bleach, Yukito in Air, Takanaga in Wallflower, Tatsu in Peacemaker, Luciano in Code Geass, Virgil Walsh in Trinity Blood, Hikaru in Macross and many more. Vic has also voiced roles in a large number of video games including Soul Calibur, Disgaea, Persona III, Project Sylpheed, DBZ, Bleach, FMA and more. But even longer than his voice acting, Vic has been a professional music composer / singer / producer who has written and produced hundreds of songs for TV, radio and CD. He sings the themes for shows like One Piece & DBGT, and has produced several CDs of his own original music. And finally, in addition to anime and music, Vic has a degree in film and works regularly writing, producing and directing video and film productions.
Also joining the guest list for his first Florida convention appearance is another popular voice over artist, Troy Baker. A native of Dallas, Texas, Troy first began working as an actor in TV and Radio commercials. He quickly became a mainstay voice actor of the anime community with such roles as “Frank Archer” in Full Metal Alchemist, “Abel Nightroad” in Trinity Blood, “Gennosuke” in Basilisk and “Action Bastard” in Shin Chan. Troy can also be heard in lead roles for blockbuster video game titles like Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4 (Atlus), Yuri Lowell in Tales of Vesperia (namco), Red Faction: Guerrilla (Volition), the Brothers In Arms Franchise (Ubisoft), Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Atari),Bloodrayne 2 (Majesco), Aeon Flux (Majesco), Resistance 2 (Insomniac), Trauma Center:New Blood (Atlus), and Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (FunCom).
Other guests whom will be in attendance are Guest of Honor Terrance Carson, voice of God of War’s Kratos, artists Ashley “AnimeBelle” Clark and Heather Scott of Dragonmun Studios, cosplayer CJ “Kefka” Collins, comedy troupe aniRAGE, and bands The Man Power and Random Encounter. The guest list is in for many more exciting surprises in the near future.
About EXP Con: EXP Convention is a weekend long all ages event to be held at the Renaissance Resort at World Golf Village’s St. John’s County Convention Center. The main purpose of EXP Con is to celebrate and promote American and Japanese video gaming, Japanese animation also known as anime, manga which are Japanese graphic novels, cosplay which is the act of creating and modeling costumes based on characters from Japanese and American media, and other facets of Japanese culture.
The first EXP Convention which carried the tagline of “North Florida’s Video Game and Anime Convention” was a weekend-long event which occupied all of and took place in World Golf Village’s Renaissance Resort and St. John’s County Convention Center during the weekend of October 17-19 2008. Last year’s participants were given the opportunity to meet popular industry guests such as Steve Blum, Beau Billingslea, and Johnny Yong Bosch, take part in fun and informative industry and fan driven panels related to their interests, free play and compete in tournaments in our 5,000 square foot video game lounge filled with 40 consoles and 40 high definition televisions, view both old and new Japanese media screenings, and attend multiple fan and industry driven events such as stage shows, fashion shows, contests, and live music. In the event’s inaugural year an attendance of close to 1,000 was achieved, which was no small feat for a first time event.
For more information regarding EXP Con
Email – Ryan_Sweat@expcon.org
Check out our website at http://www.expcon.org