‘Buffyfest,’ ‘Batman,’ Julie Benz, Billy Dee Williams, Scott Thompson Panels Plus Fan Groups Parade, ‘Are You Smarter Than A Ghostbuster?’ Highlight Miami Comic Con Programming
‘Secrets of Pro Wrestling,’ Wizard Spotlights, ‘Wizard School’ and Costume Contests Also On Tap February 26-27 at Miami Airport Convention Center (MACC)
MIAMI, February 10, 2011 – Wizard World Miami Comic Con today announced its diverse programming schedule, featuring unique celebrity Q&A’s, movie screenings, game shows, artist schools and more for the event, set for Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 26-27 at the Miami Airport Convention Center.
Some of the highlights include:
* Rare Q&A panels with Scott Thompson and Julie Benz , as well as popular Comic Con guests Billy Dee Williams, Adam West and Burt Ward
* “Are You Smarter than a Ghostbuster” featuring Wizard World’s favorite Ghostbuster, Ernie Hudson
* “Buffyfest” with Nicholas Brendon and “Vampire Diaries” with Clare Kramer and Mercedes McNab
* Troopers, knights, Ghostbusters and other groups take over the Convention floor with a parade of fan groups
* Saturday evening programming for adults only, 300 Brigade Villains Unite Show and the Bagged and Boarded “Smodcast”
* Wizard Art School and Q&A’s featuring leading artists like Bill Sinkiewicz, Mike Grell, Phil Jimenez, Alé Garza, Michael Golden, Greg Horn and others
* The popular adult costume contest and fun kids costume contest with great prizes
Miami Comic Con programming will take place in Room A and Room B at the Miami Airport Convention Center, and is included with admission to the event. Seating for panels is strictly limited and available on a first come first serve basis and each room will be cleared between panels. The full schedule is below:
Exposed: Secrets Of Professional Wrestling
Wrestlers Kevin Nash, Candice Michelle and Angela Fong give fans the low down on what’s real and what’s not in the world of professional wrestling. (Room B)
Julie Benz Q&A
As a star of hit shows like “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Dexter” and “No Ordinary Family,” Benz talks to fans about her extensive career, ups and downs in the industry and her thoughts on the new generation of sci-fi and fantasy on television. (Room A)
Billy Dee Williams Q&A
Lando lands Miami Comic Con, as the coolest man in Star Wars history sits down to take fan questions. (Room A)
Filipe Andrade Unleashed
Andrade dishes on his new X-Men project: X-Men Unleashed, and offers tips about sustaining a career in comics whether you live in Manhattan or Siberia. (Room B)
Groups Of The Con Parade
Join troopers, knights, Ghostbusters and more, as they parade around the convention floor.
Buffyfest With Nicholas Brendon
Buffy’s “Xander Harris” sits down to take fan questions about life during and after the pop culture phenomenon. (Room A)
The Cutting Edge W/ Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mack And J. David Spurlock
Innovators Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mack, and J. David Spurlock discuss the wilder side of comics art. (Room B)
Are You Smarter Than A Ghostbuster? With Ernie Hudson
Think you know GHOSTBUSTERS? Go head-to-head with Mr. “Winston Zeddemore” himself, as the Orlando Ghostbusters test your movie knowledge of the 1984 classic. (Room A)
Tex: The Art Of Mark Texeira
The legendary Ghost Rider, Sabertooth, Wolverine artist talks with award-winning author J. David Spurlock (Room B)
Batman And Robin W/ Adam West And Burt Ward
The original ’60s Dynamic Duo reteams for this one-of-a-kind Q&A, where Batman and Robin drop their masks and talk about their lady co-stars, the villains they faced and the wild nights after the show!
Wizard Spotlight: Jim Starlin
Join award-winning Warlock and Captain Marvel writer-artist Jim Starlin, as he hosts a crash-course in comic writing. (Room B)
Miami Ballroom Dancers
Come watch this Miami dance troupe heat up the dance floor with an amazing cha-cha routine. (Room A)
Behind The Scenes Of “danny Husk: The Hollow Planet
Scott Thompson (“The Kids in the Hall”) and Stephan Nilson (President of Frozen Beach Studios) will take you behind the scenes and into the pages of their newest graphic novel “Danny Husk: The Hollow Planet.” At the Q&A panel, several lucky attendees will win an autographed copy of “Danny Husk: The Hollow Planet,” the signed CGC preview of the OGN and a CGC certified autographed photo of Scott Thompson.
Between The Lines W/ Alé Garza
Fan-favorite artist Alé Garza takes fans on an artistic tour of his style and storytelling. (Room B)
Kid’s Costume Contest
Bring any kids 10 and under for this special event with great prizes just for families and the youngsters. (Room B)
Get your best costume together and come on down to Wizard’s Miami Comic Con costume contest for huge prizes and some of the craziest outfits you’ll see this weekend. (Room B)
The 3000 Brigade Presents: The Almost Got Em’ – Villains Unite Show!
This show is a parody of all aspects of convention, video game, comic, and anime fandom life. This time the 3000 Brigade will battle formidable foes, have sexy girls dances that interrupt everything, and of course ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF in their sixth Spectacular Show! So be prepared to have your eyes and ears assaulted by the finest bunch of Cosplay/Comic Entertainers this side of the Mississippi. WARNING: This show can be crude, rude, explicit, and just plain wrong, so if you are easily offended please find something else to do at this fantastically awesome convention! (Room A)
Bagged And Boarded Smodcast W/ Matt Cohen And Branden Creecy
Join Matt Cohen, his friend Brendan Creecy and a special celebrity guest host, as they ponder and pontificate the finer points of existence…and generally offend a whole bunch of people. WARNING: Leave the kiddies at home; this program contains explicit content and is for adult audiences only! (Room A)
Wizard Spotlight: Denise Crosby
Starring as “Tasha Yar” on “Star Trek: The Next Generation”, Crosby dishes on her early exit from the series, her memories of the first episodes and how “Next Generation” continues to endure.
Who Wants To Be On A Reality Show?! Hosted By Jarrett “The Defuser” Crippen
Have you ever wanted to be on a reality show? Are you curious as to what the producers are looking for? Come get inside tips about reality shows and what it takes to win from the winner of Stan Lee’s “Who Wants to be a Superhero?” Season II. The Defuser (Jarrett Crippen) will talk about and answer questions regarding the audition process, competition, living conditions and other topics related to his show and reality shows in general. (Room B)
Buffyfest With Clare Kramer And Mercedes Mcnab
McNab and Kramer talk about their days as “Harmony” and “Glory” in “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” (Room A)
Phil Jimenez: Breaking Into Comics
The School of Visual Arts instructor and long-time comic pro covers the dos and don’ts on pitching yourself to comic companies and editors. (Room B)
Ray Park Q&A
The “X-Men” and “Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace” star engages fans in this one-of-a-kind Q&A, where he discusses his extensive film biography and his evolution to genre icon. (Room A)
Storytelling With Michael Golden
No matter if you’re a writer, artist or a reader of comics, come for this sit-down with one of the most renowned storytellers in the business, Michael Golden, as he tells you a few tricks of the trade that will help you no matter what type of story you tell or enjoy, in whatever medium. It’s a rare opportunity to talk with the co-creator of X-Men Rogue, and groundbreaking penciler on such projects as Bucky O’Hare, The ’Nam, Micronauts, G.I. Joe, and much more. (Room B)
Between The Lines With Mike Grell
The legendary comics icon behind classic Legion of Super-Heroes Tales and Warlord talks about his tips of the trade and shares his secrets from making it in comics. (Room A)
Wizard’s Digital Art School With Greg Horn
Superstar Marvel and DC artist Greg Horn (Blackest Night covers) leads a discussion on digital art and takes you through his creative process. (Room A)
Miami Comic Con is the second stop on Wizard’s 2011 North American tour, which to date has 13 events scheduled. Hours are Saturday, February 26, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Sunday, February 27, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.. Tickets are available in advance online at www.wizardworld.com/miami.html at up to a 20% savings over tickets purchased at the door. Advance adult single-day tickets are $25 ($30 on site); two-day weekend tickets are $40 ($45 on site), and tickets are free for children age 10 and under when accompanied by a paid adult (limit two children per adult). VIP packages with special entry and exclusive items are also available.
FLORIDA SUPERCON 2010
FSC is 18 days away! Over 30 New Comic Book, Cosplay, Music, Wrestling and Media Guests announced for June 18-20, 2010 show
Plus: FSC’s very first variant comic books announced!
Miami, FL – Florida Supercon continues to grow! Florida’s most exciting and fun genre convention continues to add more guests and events for the 5th annual Florida Supercon, set to occur June 18-20, 2010 in Miami, FL. Over thirty new guests have been added from the worlds of Comic Books, Cosplay, Music, Horror, Video Games and Wrestling with more still to be announced as we get closer to the show!
Florida Supercon (FSC) is South Florida’s Comic Book, Anime, Animation, Video Game and Sci-Fi / Fantasy Festival, a three day festival that includes celebrity guests, comic book publishers, artists, writers, vendors, Q&A’s, parties, costume contests, anime programming, cosplay, panels, photo shoots, live music, video games and more. The event kicks off at 12:00PM, Friday, June 18 and the fun continues almost around the clock until 6:00PM, Sunday, June 20. FSC returns to Miami for its 5th year as it takes over almost 150,0000 square feet at the Doubletree Miami Mart Airport Hotel and Convention Center to become the largest genre convention in the history of South Florida! Over 200 guests will be in attendance at the event.
New comic book industry guests include:
· Jose Delbo: Argentinian born artist Jose Delbo has a career that has spanned 50 years, starting in the Silver Age of the early 1960′s until today. Fans will best know Delbo as the main artist on Wonder Woman from 1976 to 1981 and The Transformers (Marvel Comics) from issue 36-67 (1987-1990).
· Clay Mann: Comic Book artist of X-Men Legacy, Dark Reign: Elektra, Daredevil, Ultimate X-Men, Thor: Man of War, Heroes For Hire, Marvel Knights 4, Four, The Immortal Iron Fist, Marvel Adventures: Fantastic Four, X-Men Unlimited and more!
· Tommy Castillo: Comic Book artist of Batman: Gotham Knights, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Detective Comics, Dungeons & Dragons, Evil Ernie in Santa Fe, Fear the Dead: A Zombie Survivor’s Journal, Green Arrow, Grimm Fairy Tales, Hari Kari, Se7en, Toe Tags Featuring George A. Romero, G.I. Joe, Vampirella and more!
· Chris Brunner: Comic Book artist of Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Dark Horse Presents, Hellblazer, Resident Evil, Star Wars Tales, Ghost Handbook, The Ride, The Ride: Foreign Parts, The Ride: Savannah, X-Omnibus, Robin, Hellhounds, Wolverine / Punisher, Gotham Central, Savage Dragon and more!
· Steve Borock: Industry Guest. Steve is the Consignment Director for Heritage Auctions. He is the former (and first) President, Primary Grader and Restoration Detection Expert at CGC (Comics Guaranty Corporation) from 1999 – 2008. Steve was a key figure in introducing third-party certification to the comic book hobby and helping to change the hobby forever.
· Koi Turnbull: Comic Book artist of Fathom, Wolverine, Aspen Seasons, Batgirl, Batman and the Outsiders, Batman: Gotham Knights, Black Panther, Detective Comics, Fathom: Cannon Hawke, The Flash, Green Lantern, Heroes, New Warriors, Nova, Outsiders: Five of a Kind, Superman Confidential, What If…?, Worlds of Aspen & more!
· Louis Small jr.: Artist of Vampirella, Vampirella Strikes!, Vampirella / Lady Death, Vampirella / Shi, Adventure Comics 80-Page Giant, Batman, The Chaos Effect, The Darkness, Codename: Knockout, JLA Secret Files, Ka-Zar, Kabuki Gallery, Witchblade, Solar: Man of the Atom, Lady Death, Chaos! Quarterly & more!
· Stephan Nilson: Comic Book writer of Monsterpocalypse, Justice League Unlimited, Atomik Mike, Batman Strikes! and Danny Husk. Stephan’s Television and TV related digital material includes Smallville (seasons 6&7) Justice and Doom and Visions, Ghost Whisperer and Red Dwarf.
· Daxiong: Hailing from China, Daxiong founded QiCartoon Studios in 1999, where he produced over 100 publications. He is currently one of the most successful artists in Chinese and European comics. Now living in the U.S., his American credits include: Star Wars Adventures, Top 10 Season Two & Justice League of America 80 Page Giant.
· Don Hillsman II: Comic Book Artist. Pencil credits include: Street Fighter, By Any Means Necessary: The Life & Times of Malcolm X, Daemonstorm, Devil Dinosaur Spring Fling, JLA Secret Files & Origins, Marvel Comics Presents, Southern Knights, Ultraverse Unlimited & Xavier Institute Alumni Yearbook. Inking credits: X-Men, Iron Man, Gambit, Damage, Scion, Sigil & more!
New Media Guests include:
· Andy Sipes has been seen/heard/felt in some of your favorite things: Code Monkeys (art director and character designer, voice of Mr. Larrity, Dean and more), Archer, Last Call with Carson Daly, Adult Swim’s Saul of the Mole Men and Minoriteam, Comedy Central’s Crank Yankers, MTV’s The Andy Milonakis Show and DJ and The Fro plus many more.
· Dawn Wells: Best known as Mary Ann in the Gilligan’s Island TV series, multiple reunion specials and the Gilligan’s Planet animated series
· Cindy Morgan is best known for her role as Lora / Yori in Tron and as Lacey Underall in Caddyshack. She recently was the voice of Ma3a in the Tron 2.0 video game and has been a part of the viral marketing for the new Tron Legacy film in the role of Lora Bradley once again.
· Larry Thomas is best known for his role on Sienfeld as the tyrannical Soup Nazi. Larry’s other credits include: Austin Powers, A Fist Full of Quarters, Spaced Out, Postal and The Warehouse Job and much more!
· Alex Vincent is best known for his role as Andy Barclay in the Child Play series of films, including: Childs Play and Child’s Play 2.
· Joseph Culp is an accomplished actor who can most recently be seen on the AMC hit series Mad Men as Archie Whitman (Don Draper’s father). To the comic book world, he is probably best known as Dr. Doom in the original 1994 Fantastic Four movie. His many TV roles include appearances on House, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The Greatest American Hero (with his dad Robert Culp) and ER.
· Sally Kellerman is best known for her role as Major Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihan in the film MASH (1970), for which she was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Sally has dozens of credits including starring roles in the classic Star Trek 2nd pilot episode Where No Man Has Gone Before, as Rodney Dangerfield’s teacher / love interest in Back To School, The Boston Strangler, Brewster McCloud, The Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Lost Horizon, Centennial, Foxes, Moving Violations, Meatballs III: Summer Job, That’s Life!, Boris and Natasha, PrÃªt-Ã -Porter, American Virgin and many more!
· Scott Tepperman is the newest investigator on Ghost Hunters International. He has been traveling abroad investigating with the Ghost Hunters and his first episodes will air starting this summer’s season premiere.
· Geretta Geretta: She played Rosemary in Lamberto Bava’s 1985 film Demons (DÃ¨moni), where she was transformed into a demonic creature who tries to a slaughter Berlin theater audience. Her career as an actress has included roles in Susan Siedelman’s Smithereens, Lucio Fulci’s Murder Rock & Bruno Mattei’s Rats: Night Of Terror.
· Daphnee Duplaix. Actress and Model, Daphnee starred as Valerie Davis on the TV series Passions and currently stars on One Life to Live as Rachel Gannon. She was a 2010 NAACP Image Award Nominee for “Outstanding Actress in a Daytime Drama Series”. Her other notable roles include appearances on Angel, The District, Dharma & Greg, Felicity, CSI, CSI: NY, The Fighting Temptations, Demon Island, The Invisible Man, Just Shoot Me! and more! She was the July 1997 Playboy Playmate of the Month.
· Lou Pizarro is Director, Producer and Star of Tru TV’s Operation Repo.
· Paris Themmen is best known for his role as Mike Teevee in the 1971 film Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, when he was 11 years old. He was also a voice actor for Macross Plus (1994) and appeared on Star Trek: Voyager (Season 6, Episode 13: “Virtuoso”) in 2000 and The Ed Sullivan Show in the early 70′s.
New Cosplay and Entertainment Guests include:
· Steampunk Cosplay Guests. Founded in 2004 Outland Armour specializes in metal, leather, wood working, film making, special effects, acting, sculpture, custom prop creation, custom sewing & all aspects of costume design. They are constantly expanding to better realize your imagination. The crew has worked to create and constantly improve their original steampunk characters; The sky pirates of H.M.S. Amaranth. The crew will be hosting a variety of panels all weekend long.
· The Console Alliance was started by gamers for gamers out of love for video games. The Console Alliance is known for making video game parodies, independent movies, documentaries, shorts and more. Despite the film’s, The Console Alliance’s main goal is to correct today’s wrongful accusation of what a “Gamer” is and to correct the majorities conclusion that video games “Cause Violence” and “Desensitize children and younger players minds.”
New Wrestling Guests include:
· The Original Gangsta, New Jack is coming. New Jack is best known for his run in ECW in the 90′s into 2000′s, where he was a 3 time tag team champion (twice with Mustafa as The Gangstas and once with Kronus as The Gangstanators). He started out in USWA (Tag Team Champion), North Georgia Wrestling (Heavyweight Champion and Tag Team Champion) and Smokey Mountain (Tag Team Champion) before ECW. Since ECW, New Jack has wrestled for XPW, TNA Wrestling, CZW and Wrestling Society X.
· Lizzy Valentine. As a wrestler, Lizzy has been featured in TNA Wrestling, Xtreme Pro Wrestling, Wrestlicious, XPW, Kapow! & Jersey All Pro Wrestling
In addition to the guests listed above, eight new bands have been added to the live music line up, including: Modify The Moment, Bell Tower Falls, Viva Le Vox, Enrique’s Revenge, The Strikeouts, Protagonist, Sir Veza and Rumor Has It.
Plus: FSC is thrilled to announce the first ever variant comics produced only for Florida Supercon. There will be 2 awesome limited edition Lady Death variant comics printed just for Florida Supercon!
· The first variant is a special Lady Death: Dragon Wars #1 FSC Sketch Cover Variant Edition limited to 200 copies. Everyone loves sketch covers! Get your Lady Death sketch variant and have your favorite artist at the show do a sketch to make your variant a one of a kind collectible! Lady Death: Dragon Wars #1 is written by Brian Pulido and features art by Ivan Reis. This variant will only be available at the Florida Supercon booth at the show.
· The second Lady Death variant at FSC is Lady Death: The Rapture #1 “The End Edition”. Limited to just 77 copies! Each copy will be signed and numbered by Brian Pulido (Writer / Creator). Variant cover by Louis Small jr. This limited edition will be available at Brian Pulido’s booth at FSC.
More information for each of these guests may be found at the FSC website www.supercon.tv. These new guests join a line up of over 150 guests already announced for the show, and that number continues to grow every week. Some of the guests already lined up for FSC 2010 include:
Comic Book artists and writers such as Ariel Olivetti, Bill Sienkiewicz, Khoi Pham, Rafa Sandoval, Allen Bellman, Greg Horn, Brad Walker, Paul Gulacy, Fred Van Lente, Filip Sablik, Georges Jeanty, Dustin Weaver, Steve Kurth, Shawn Crystal, Joe Jusko, Clayton Henry, Brian Pulido, Bo Hampton, Alex Saviuk, Pat Broderick, Rob Hunter, Greg “Dark One” Williams, Vinnie Tartamella, Dick Kulpa, Jay Leisten, Luis Diaz and more!
Anime and Animation voice actors like Troy Baker (Naruto, Code Geass), Richard Horvitz (Invader Zim), Larry Kenney (Thundercats), Brittney Karbowski (Xenosaga, Pani Poni Dash), Dana Snyder (Aqua Teen), Charles Fleischer (Roger Rabbit), Brad Kesten (Charlie Brown), Angela Lee-Sloan (Lucy in Peanuts), Stacy H. Tolkin (Sally in Peanuts) and more!
Legendary Filmmakers Lloyd Kaufman and Hershell Gordon Lewis.
Movie and TV Celebrities such as Richard “Shaft” Roundtree, Fred “The Hammer” Willaimson (From Dusk Til’ Dawn), Tia Carrere (Wayne’s World, Relic Hunter), Robb Demarest (Ghost Hunters International), Brandy Green (Ghost Hunters International), Luciana Carro (Battlestar Galactica), John Wesley Shipp (The Flash), Charles Fleischer (Back to the Future II), Julie McCullough (Growing Pains, The Blob), Rebecca Staab (Fantastic Four), Anthony Forrest (Star Wars), Michelle Lintel (The Black Scorpion) and more!
Wrestling Guests such as The Iron Sheik (WWF), Greg “The Hammer” Valentine (WWF), Daffney (WCW, TNA), Stacy “The Kat” Carter (WWE, WWF), Sinn “Kizarny” Bodhi (WWE), Terri Runnels (WWE), Traci Brooks (TNA) and SoCal Val (TNA).
Musical Guests like Less Than Jake, Addax, Feeding Fingers, The Joyness, S.S. Hanami, Robbed By A Flute, Sci-Fried, The Pursuit and more!
Cosplay and Entertainment Guests such as Yaya Han, Miracole Burns, The 3000 Brigade (Smash Bros. Show), Supercon Championship Wrestling, Wasabi Anime and more!
Stand Up Comedy Guests like Lisa Corrao, The Revenge of the Nerds Comedy Show, Julie McCullough and more!
Additional guests can be found at on the Florida Supercon website at www.supercon.tv
This years FSC will have dedicated programming tracks for each of the genre’s being celebrated. Some of the amazing events include:
· Q&A’s with most of our attending guests
· Comic art portfolio reviews for aspiring artists
· Fan panels for all aspects of the show (Comics, Anime, Animation, Sci-Fi etc.)
· Industry panels for breaking into Comics, Anime, Animation etc…
· The FSC Costume Competition (with over $3,000 in cash and prizes)
· The FSC Cosplay Skit Contest
· Rumble Roses Cosplay Wrestling
· The Otaku Insomnia Rave
· Cosplay Deviant’s Hentai Cafe
· Cosplay RockBand
· Supercon Championship Wrestling’s “Supercon Mania!”
· The Smash Brothers 3000 Super Show
· Filmmaking workshops with Hershell Gordon Lewis
· The FSC Film Festival
· Live Musical Performances
· Live stand up comedy
· Over 100 video game stations
· Video game tournaments
· A 50,000 square feet exhibition room with over 400 booths and tables featuring vendors, celebrity guests, artists, filmmakers and exhibits.
Complete information on these and dozens of more events taking place all weekend can be found at www.supercon.tv
The convention hours of operation are:
FRIDAY, JUNE 18: 12:00PM – 2:00AM
SATURDAY, JUNE 19: 11:00AM – 2:00AM
SUNDAY, JUNE 20: 11:00AM – 6:00PM
FSC is located at The Double Tree Miami Airport Hotel and Convention Center,
711 NW 72nd Ave, Miami, FL 33126. Discounted room rates for convention are available. See our website www.supercon.tv for details.