August 10, 2016 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Anime, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Video Games, Webcomics
Boston Comic Con kicks off the three-day comic book convention on Friday, August 12 to Sunday August 14!
Boston Comic Con Celebrity Guest list includes William Shatner, the original Captain James T. Kirk, whose appearance, along with Vic Mignogna, marks the celebration of Star Trek’s 50th anniversary. Also appearing are leading stars from top current TV shows including John Barrowman, Caity Lotz, Ciara Renee, Danielle Panabaker and Robbie Amell from CW’s Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash, Ben Mckenzie from Gotham, Elizabeth Henstridge from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Gillian Anderson from the X-Files and featuring special appearances from Doctor Who companions Jenna Coleman and Karen Gillan.
Frank Miller, the most celebrated creators in comic book history, headlines a stellar line-up of over 90 world class comic book artists and writers, including notable appearances by Sam Kieth and John Cassaday. Kieth is best known for his creator-owned titles The Maxx and Zero Girl and as co-creator of The Sandman. Cassady is a fan favorite artist with acclaimed runs on Planetary, Captain America, Astonishing X-Men and Marvel’s new Star Wars series. They join other famed artists such as Arthur Adams, Mike and Laura Allred, Greg Capullo, Amanda Conner, Terry Dodson, Phil Jimenez, Erik Larsen, Jae Lee, David Lloyd, Jimmy Palmiotti, Scott Snyder, Mark Waid, Marv Wolfman, Bernie Wrightson and many more.
On Friday, August 12, it’s Family Day where kids age 10 and under will receive free admission to the show featuring a variety of family friendly activities.
On Saturday, August 13, Mayor Marty Walsh will greet William Shatner and deliver a proclamation to the Star Trek legend. This will take place at 9:45 AM in the Harborview Ballroom at the Seaport World Trade Center. Also participating are Nick Kanieff and Jim Talbot, co-founders of Boston Comic Con.
On Sunday, August 14, the convention continues and includes one of the most anticipated events of the weekend, the annual Costume Contest on Sunday, August 14 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the Plaza Ballroom.
WHERE: Seaport World Trade Center
200 Seaport Boulevard
WHEN: Friday, August 12: 12:00PM – 8:00PM
Saturday, August 13: 10:00AM – 7:00PM
Sunday, August 14: 10:00AM – 6:00PM
Tickets and information available at the link: www.bostoncomiccon.com
Creation Entertainment’s 15th Annual Las Vegas Star Trek Convention 2016 kicks off this week and one of the special guests in attendance will be John Byrne, a titan in his field whose contributions to comic books cannot be overstated.
Not only will Byrne be making a rare appearance at this week’s Star Trek convention, he will be signing copies of his Star Trek books for IDW Publishing at the IDW booth throughout the weekend. Please note that, in keeping with the theme of the convention, Byrne will only be signing his Star Trek works, including the brand-new New Visions Special “The Cage” photo-story, which will be making its convention debut here.
Fans can meet Mr. Byrne at IDW booth #54 and get their Star Trek books signed in Las Vegas this weekend as well as pick up IDW’s Convention Variant of the Star Trek 50th Anniversary Cover Celebration. IDW has commissioned a special triptych drawing by Star Trek artist J.K. Woodward chronicling the 50 years of Star Trek cast members and produced three variant covers. Each connecting cover is limited to only 250 copies, and the first cover, of Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation, will be available for sale at the IDW table during the convention at a cost of $10 per copy. The remaining two connecting variants are show exclusive variants for the Star Trek Mission show in New York City, and the 2016 New York Comic Con, respectively.
Screenwriter Melinda Snodgrass (Star Trek: The Next Generation) hosts a screening of CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE at the Jean Cocteau Cinema on Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM.
The story of the struggle to create the television series, Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987). William Shatner speaks to virtually every major player, both in front of and behind the camera, who was involved with the production of The Next Generation. Traveling in both Canada and the United States, Shatner takes viewers to the backlot of Paramount Studios, a mission control room at NASA, and the largest Star Trek convention in the world to reveal the never-before-told story of Chaos on the Bridge.
Jean Cocteau Cinema
418 Montezuma Ave Santa Fe NM 87501
The Jean Cocteau Cinema presents a special multi-author book signing, panel discussion, and Q&A with the authors of Wild Cards (including George R.R. Martin, Melinda Snodgrass, and Daniel Abraham), an epic science fiction anthology about superheroes and powerful villains (edited by George R.R. Martin) on Sunday, July 24th at 2:00 PM. Tickets are FREE with the purchase of a Wild Cards hardcover book ($26.00 TOTAL), $5.00 with purchase of Wild Cards paperback ($20 TOTAL), or $10.00 without a book purchase.
WITH LIVE APPEARANCES BY:
George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, Fevre Dream
Melinda Snodgrass, Edge of Dawn, Star Trek
Walter Jon Williams, Wild Cards
Daniel Abraham, King’s Blood, The Expanse
Laura Mixon, Up Against It
Kevin Murphy, Wild Cards
Marco Kloos, Terms of Enlistment, Angles of Attack
Victor Milan, Dinosaur Lords, Dinosaur Knights
John Jos. Miller, Wild Cards
Gail Miller, Wild Cards
Carrie Vaughn, Dreams of the Golden Age
Caroline Spector, Wild Cards
Chip Wideman, Wild Cards
Sage Walker, Wild Cards
Mary Ann Mohanraj, Bodies in Motion, Kathryn in the City
Chris Rowe, Wild Cards
Diana Rowland, White Trash Zombies Gone Wild, Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues
Edward Bryant, Wild Cards
Leanne Harper, Wild Cards
Gregory Noveck, Wild Cards
Ian Tregellis, The Mechanical, The Liberation
Jean Cocteau Cinema
418 Montezuma Ave Santa Fe NM 87501
Writer/Artist Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman, Dr. Manhattan) and variant cover artist Andy Price (My Little Pony) appear at My Parents’ Basement on Friday, July 29, 2016 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM to sign BETTY & VERONICA #1 from Archie Comics!
The first hour Adam will be signing copies of Betty and Veronica (and if you have any other books, but we are limiting them to no more than five with one being purchased in shop day of) and during the second hour, you can grab a blank sketch cover for Adam or Andy to do a quick personalized sketch. The sketches will be $40.
My Parents’ Basement
22 N Avondale Rd, Avondale Estates, GA 30002
The Toonseum, Pittsburgh’s Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, is currently in the process of organizing an exhibit of Star Trek original comic art. Art collectors have been instrumental in the success of prior exhibits at the ToonSeum, including last year’s Avengers: 50 Years of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and the current Captain America: 75 Years of the Sentinel of Liberty exhibits, and the hope is that this will again prove true with Star Trek.
The Toonseum is thus reaching out to any collectors who might be willing and kind of enough to loan the Pittsburgh-based museum some amazing Star Trek pages to be placed on display to the public. The exhibit will run from October 28, 2016, until January 15, 2017.
If you think that you would like to loan some Star Trek art and/or have questions about the process, you can e-mail Board Member, Treasurer and Exhibit Curator Anthony Letizia (email@example.com). Anthony would be happy to answer any questions you might have about transport, insurance, museum security and can provide references from collectors who have loaned the Toonseum art for previous exhibits. You can also check out the museum at the website.
Thank you for your consideration.
Greg Grunberg and Lucas Turnbloom sign Dream Jumper: Nightmare Escape at Mysterious Galaxy Books on Friday, July 1, 2016 at 6:30 PM.
Some readers were lucky enough to get a taste of Dream Jumper: Nightmare Escape, the new kids’ graphic adventure written by actor Greg Grunberg (Heroes, Alias, Felicity, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Trek Beyond) and drawn by artist Lucas Turnbloom, during May’s Free Comic Book Day. The story follows Ben, a young boy who discovers that he has the power to jump in and out of his friends’ dreams and nightmares and help them battle their worst fears. Join us to learn more about the inspiration for the series, why the creators chose to work in comics form, and what might lie in the Dreamworld.
This is a numbered event – numbers for the signing line are free with the purchase of Dream Jumper: Nightmare Escape from Mysterious Galaxy. Books and tickets will be available for pick-up on Tuesday, June 28, starting at 10 AM!
If you are purchasing your copy online and attending the signing, please be sure to note your intent in the comments section at check-out.
Mysterious Galaxy Books
5943 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA 92111
Florida Supercon is the LARGEST Comic Con in Miami. Supercon takes place JULY 1-4, 2016 at THE MIAMI BEACH CONVENTION CENTER and FILLMORE MIAMI BEACH AT THE JACKIE GLEASON THEATER!
Find the best in Comic Books, Media Guests, Anime, Animation, Video Games, Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Pop Culture in South Florida. Florida Supercon is 4 days of fun featuring celebrity guests, comic book creators, voice actors, industry guests, cosplayers, artists, writers, panels, Q&A’s, films & shorts, costume & cosplay contests, vendors, parties, anime, workshops, video gaming and more!
Some of the highlights for Florida Supercon 2016 include:
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Celebration: William Shatner “Captain Kirk”, Walter Koenig “Pavel Chekov”, Michael Dorn “Worf”, Denise Crosby “Tasha Yar”, Robert Picardo “The Doctor”, René Auberjonois “Odo”, Robert Duncan McNeill “Tom Paris”, David Warner “Chancellor Gorkon & St. John Talbot”, Chase Masterson “Leeta the Bajoran”, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow star: Casper Crump “Vandal Savage”.
- FOX’S Gotham star: Ben McKenzie “Jim Gordon”.
- Doctor Who star: Alex Kingston “River Song.”
- The Walking Dead Cast Members: Michael Cudlitz “Abraham Ford”, and Denise Crosby “Mary”.
- Star Wars Cast Members: Jeremy Bulloch “Boba Fett”, Tim Rose “Admiral Ackbar”, Jessica Henwick “Jessika Pava”, Chris Parsons “4-Lom”, and Star Wars: A New Hope special effects co-ordinator Bruce Logan.
- First Time Ever TRON Reunion: Bruce Boxleitner “TRON”, David Warner “Sark”, Cindy Morgan “Yori”, and TRON Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- Game of Thrones cast members: Natalia Tena “Osha” and Jessica Henwick “Nymeria Sand”.
- Harry Potter stars: Natalia Tena “Tonks”, and Devon Murray “Seamus Finnigan”.
- Sesame Street cast members: Emilio Delgado “Luis” and Bob McGrath “Bob Johnson”.
- Steven Universe stars: Zach Callison “Steven”, Michaela Dietz “Amethyst”, and Grace Rolek “Connie”.
- Wrestling Superstars: Mick Foley, Diamond Dallas Page, Mickie James, The Godfather, Road Warrior Animal, and Demolition.
- Pokémon 20th Anniversary Celebration: Veronica Taylor “Ash Ketchum”, Michael Liscio Jr. “Clemont and Inkay”, Tara Sands “Bulbasaur, Richie, Sammy, Oddish and Jasmine”, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld “Bonnie, Nurse Joy, Jasmine and Audino”, and Haven Paschall “Serena, Concordia, and Ellie”.
- Anime Stars: Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, Ouran High School Host Club), Caitlin Glass (Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, Ouran High School), Steve Blum (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo), Trina Nishimura (Attack on Titan, Witchblade, Claymore), and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (Ghost In The Shell, Sailor Moon).
- Animation Stars: Tara Strong (Teen Titans Go), Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time), Dana Snyder (Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies), Jim Cummings (Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Darkwing Duck), Larry Kenney (Thundercats, Count Chocula), Charles Martinet (Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Toadsworth, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi for Nintendo), Steve Blum (Transformers: Prime, Wolverine and the X-Men, Legend of Korra), and Andy Sipes (Triptank, Code Monkeys, and Archer).
- Dozens of Comic Book Artists and Writers: Keith Giffen, Greg Capullo, Fabian Nicieza, Joe Keatinge, Leila del Duca, Neal Adams, José Luis Garcia-Lopez, Jorge Molina, Ramón Pérez, Jill Thompson, Colleen Doran, Scott Kolins, Allen Bellman, Scott Hepburn, Trevor Von Eeden, Elliot S! Maggin, Brad Walker, Khary Randolph, John Beatty, Shawn Crystal, Brent Schoonover, Cory Smith, Tony Bedard, Mateus Santolouco, Tony Bedard, Jose Delbo, Greg Horn, Andy Kuhn, and many more!
- Power Ranger Cast Members: Austin St. John, Christopher Khayman Lee, Steve Cardenas, and Dan Southworth.
- More celebrities including: Henry Winkler (Happy Days, Children’s Hospital, The Waterboy), Kel Mitchell (Kenan & Kel, Good Burger, Mystery Men), Lisa Corrao (Every Witch Way), and many more to be announced!
- Multiple costume and cosplay events each day of the show, with thousands of dollars in cash and prizes on the line!
- Over 500,000 square feet of convention space featuring 700 booths and tables with vendors, celebrity guests, artists, filmmakers, and exhibits. 3 stages of entertainment, video games, plus a dozen rooms for panels, tabletop gaming and screenings.
Click here to get tickets.
FSC is JULY 1-4, 2016
THE MIAMI BEACH CONVENTION CENTER & FILLMORE MIAMI BEACH AT THE JACKIE GLEASON THEATER
1901 Convention Center Dr. • Miami Beach, FL 33139 • 305.673.7311
SUPERCON PHONE: 954.399.1330 firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo Ops tickets are now available for Boston Comic Con 2016 with media guests William Shatner (Star Trek’s original Captain Kirk), Karl Urban (Star Trek Beyond, Pete’s Dragon), Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who, Me Before You), Karen Gillan (Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Who), John Barrowman (Torchwood, Arrow), Ben McKenzie (Gotham, Southland), Elizabeth Henstridge (Agents of SHIELD), Caity Lotz (Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow), Robbie Amell (The Flash, X-Files), Ciara Renée (Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash), Seth Gilliam (The Walking Dead, Teen Wolf), and Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Star Trek Continues).
About Boston Comic Con:
The Boston Comic Con is a 100% independently run comic book show committed to bringing the biggest and best comic creators to New England. Run by fans for fans, Boston Comic Con is not affiliated with any other convention tour or corporate interests. Hosting over 120,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia, this is a destination event for geeks of any stripe. This year’s convention will be held Friday August 12th, Saturday August 13th, and Sunday August 14th at the Seaport World Trade Center, 200 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210. For more information please go to our website at www.bostoncomiccon.com and follow us on Twitter (@BostonComicCon) and Facebook!
Fan favorite and self described “Writer of Stuff” PETER DAVID will be making his very first trip to the Long Beach Comic Con on September 17 & 18, 2016 at the Long Beach Convention Center!
We’ve wanted to have Peter as a guest for quite some time and we’re happy to say he had the room in his busy schedule to join us for the 2016 LBCC!
A prolific writer Mr. David’s work include a beloved twelve year run on The Incredible Hulk, as well as runs on Aquaman, Young Justice, and X-Factor. His TV work includes Babylon 5, Young Justice, and Ben 10: Alien Force. And then there’s his many, many novels that include movie film adaptations, media tie-ins, and original works.
Right now a Weekend Pass for LBCC 2016 is just $50!
Saturday tix are $30 and Sunday is $25! Ticket prices will go up at the end of June, so don’t miss your chance to save! Kids 10 & Under get in FREE with a paid adult. Limit 2 children per paid adult.
Click Here to get your tickets now!
About Long Beach Comic Con:
Long Beach Comic Con is an annual event held at the Long Beach Convention Center each fall. It’s a celebration of comic books and pop culture that showcases the exceptional works of talented writers, artists, illustrators and creators of all types of pop culture. At Long Beach Comic Con you’ll find exhibitors promoting and selling all types of related products, as well as entertaining and educational programs, guest signings, and meet & greet sessions with celebrities. Long Beach Comic Con is a production of MAD Event Management, LLC. Visit www.longbeachcomiccon.com for additional information.