EXCLUSIVE: Long Beach Comic Con 2014 Announces Guests of Honor and New Initiatives, Teases Programming
Long Beach Comic Con Announces Guests of Honor & New Initiatives and Teases Programming for September 27-28, 2014
Long Beach, CA (September 9, 2014) – To celebrate its sixth year, Long Beach Comic Con is unveiling new initiatives including the show’s first ever Guests of Honor, this year’s official sponsors including media sponsor the Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex and programming devoted to a broad range of attendees — from cosplay enthusiasts to young adult readers. Long Beach Comic Con will be held on September 27 and 28, 2014 at the Long Beach Convention Center, where exhibiting publishers will include Archie Comics, Aspen Comics, Bottled Lightning, PaperFilms, Skybound Entertainment, Storm King Productions, Top Cow, and Valiant Entertainment, among others.
For the first time in its history, Long Beach Comic Con is announcing guests of honor for this fall’s show:
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Archie Comics’ AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE)
Mike Allred (Marvel Comics’ SILVER SURFER)
Laura Allred (Marvel Comics’ SILVER SURFER
Sandy King Carpenter (Storm King Production’s ASYLUM)
Joe Casey (Man of Action)
Amanda Conner (DC Entertainment’s HARLEY QUINN)
Chris Dingess (Skybound Entertainment’s MANIFEST DESTINY)
David Gallaher (Bottled Lightning’s THE ONLY LIVING BOY)
Joe Kelly (Man of Action)
JT Krul (Aspen’s JIRNI)
Mike Mignola (Dark Horse Comics’ HELLBOY)
James O’Barr (THE CROW)
Jimmy Palmiotti (PaperFilms’ SEX & VIOLENCE)
Jamie S. Rich (Oni Press’ Archer Coe and the Thousand Natural Shocks)
Duncan Rouleau (Man of Action)
Steve Seagle (Man of Action)
Marc Silvestri (Top Cow)
Richard Starking (Image Comic’s ELEPHANTMEN)
Babs Tarr (DC Entertainment’s BATGIRL)
“We’re thrilled to have more guests at this year’s show than we’ve ever had before,” said Martha Donato, Long Beach Comic Con Executive Director and Co-Founder. “We recognize that attending conventions is a major commitment for comic book creators and we want to honor and celebrate some of the people who’ve joined us for six years running, as well as the writers and artists who are traveling across the country to attend our convention for the first time.”
As in past years, attendees will be treated to a wide array of programming. Highlights include:
* Panels devoted to fan favorite comic book characters including Batman, the Crow and Hellboy.
* Comic Book Publisher Spotlights moderated by BLOODY DISGUSTING, COMICVINE, IGN, THE NERDIST and others.
* Hero Complex moderated panels of pop culture, running the gamut from Robot Chicken to Young Justice to Women in Comics.
* A Young Adult panel featuring best-selling novelists Leigh Bardugo, Robin Benway, Cecil Castellucci, Melissa de la Cruz, Michael Johnston, and Margaret Stohl
* A Banned Books Week discussion led by the Newport Beach Branch Library
* Cosplay panels.
* Horror programming with guests like Dan Brereton (NOCTURNALS) and Mike Huddleston (THE STRAIN).
* Kids programming with KaBOOM! and creators like Eric Esquivel (BRAVEST WARRIORS), Travis Hanson (TANNER JONES AND THE QUEST FOR THE MONKEY STONE), Mike Kunkel (HEROBEAR) and Hannah Nance Partlow (ADVENTURE TIME). There will also be interactive panels where Tone Rodriguez will teach kids how to draw the Simpsons and Futurama characters and Peter Paul will teach “how to draw your dragon.”
* Animation panels dedicated to popular cartoons like GARGOYLES, SPECTACULAR SPIDER MAN, YOUNG JUSTICE, X-MEN and DISNEY AFTERNOON, and appearances by Greg Weisman and the Man of Action Studio.
* Screen Junkies Presents: Honest Trailers The Panel
* #MakeComics workshops where aspiring writers and artists can learn from comic book greats including Jon Bogdanove (POWER PACK), Tim Bradstreet (HELLBLAZER), Brian Buccellato (DETECTIVE COMICS), Joshua Fialkov (THE BUNKER) and Whilce Portacio (THE PUNISHER). Over two days, workshops will walk through the entire #makecomics process: from writing and drawing to running a Kickstarter and even publicizing the comic.
“Our programming has been a huge growth area for us this year,” said Phil Lawrence, Co-founder and Sales Director of Long Beach Comic Con. “We’re running more than 80 high quality panels over two days. There’s something for every fan, whether you want to hear about the latest from Image Comics or need tips for designing and building your first cosplay.”
Growth also extends to the show’s official sponsors. The CW’s The Flash, GenZe by Mahindra, the Laugh Factory, SGX Print, and the SUN NEWS have already signed on as official sponsors, and additional announcements are expected to follow in the coming weeks.
Enjoy an exciting weekend full of exceptional guests and exhibitors, and engaging panels, at Long Beach Comic Con, Saturday, September 27 from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm and Sunday, September 28 from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm at the Long Beach Convention Center. Tickets are available now through the website: www.longbeachcomiccon.com.
“Our ticket sales are significantly up from last year at this same time,” said Donato. “If you’re thinking about attending this year’s show, I recommend buying your tickets in advance before we sell out and arriving both days before the show opens.”
About Long Beach Comic Con
Long Beach Comic Con is an annual event held at the Long Beach Convention Center that celebrates comic books and pop culture and showcases the exceptional works of talented writers, artists, illustrators and creators of all types of pop culture. At Long Beach Comic Con, you’ll find exhibitors promoting and selling all types of related products, as well as entertaining and educational programs for all ages, guest signings and meet & greet sessions with celebrities. Long Beach Comic Con is a MAD Event Management, LLC production. To learn more and purchase tickets, please visit www.longbeachcomiccon.com.
Writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa appears at Golden Apple Comics on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 from 7:00pm until 9:00pm!
You are invited to a FREE PARTY at Golden Apple Comics to celebrate the release of Issue #2 of AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE…One of the biggest hits of the year. The first issue sold out nationwide and we have the WRITER: ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA joining us on the day of release WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 20TH from 7-9pm.
-FREE WINE TASTING (21+)
Roberto has worked on many other comics projects such as: Stephen King’s The Stand, Amazing Spider-Man & more. Also, he works on Broadway, TV & Film. Most recently he works on the hit TV show GLEE & wrote the CARRIE movie.
We will have Issue #1 (2nd prints) on sale at the event as well as Issue #2!
Golden Apple Comics
7018 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038
Meet Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (writer/producer on GLEE) on Wednesday March 6th from 5:00 – 6:00 pm and get your copy of Archie Meets GLEE Part 1 signed in person! The Archie gang mixes it up with the kids from GLEE from the hit FOX TV series in the comic book/pop culture crossover event of 2013. A purchase of Archie Meets GLEE is your ticket in.
7522 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046