BOOM! STUDIOS GOES COAST-TO-COAST WITH AWESOME CON AND WONDERCON, APRIL 18-20, 2014
April 9, 2014 – Los Angeles, CA – Award-winning comic book publisher BOOM! Studios announced today it will exhibit at both Awesome Con in Washington, D.C. and WonderCon in Anaheim, California, during the weekend of April 18-20, 2014.
At Awesome Con, which will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., BOOM! can be found at booth number 421. They will host the following creators all weekend:
Brooke Allen (LUMBERJANES)
Ian McGinty (ADVENTURE TIME: CANDY CAPERS)
Jerry Gaylord (LOKI: RAGNAROK & ROLL, FANBOYS VS. ZOMBIES)
In addition, an Awesome Con exclusive variant cover of ADVENTURE TIME 2014 ANNUAL #1 illustrated by Ian McGinty will be sold through the convention. Starring baby versions of Fionna and Cake, this is the first-ever horizontal ADVENTURE TIME issue!
For tickets and more information on Awesome Con, visit awesomecondc.com.
At WonderCon, which will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California, BOOM! Studios can be found at booth number 319. They will host the following creators at the booth all weekend:
Eric M. Esquivel (LOKI: RAGNAROK AND ROLL, BRAVEST WARRIORS, FREELANCERS)
Megan Hutchison (AN AURORA GRIMEON STORY: WILL O’ THE WISP)
Michael Alan Nelson (DAY MEN, 28 DAYS LATER, PROTOCOL: ORPHANS)
Mike Kunkel (HEROBEAR AND THE KID)
Noelle Stevenson (LUMBERJANES, ADVENTURE TIME)
In addition, signings with the following creators are scheduled:
FRIDAY, April 18
2-3 p.m. R.J. Ryan (THE JOYNERS IN 3D)
5-6 p.m. Claudio Sanchez and Chondra Echert (TRANSLUCID, AMORY WARS, KEY OF Z, KILL AUDIO) – This is a ticketed signing. Tickets are only available at the BOOM! Studios booth whille supplies last on the day of the specified signing.
SATURDAY, April 19
1-2 p.m. Steven Grant (2 GUNS, 3 GUNS, ROBOCOP, DECEIVERS)
3-4 p.m. Claudio Sanchez and Chondra Echert (TRANSLUCID, AMORY WARS, KEY OF Z, KILL AUDIO) – This is a ticketed signing. Tickets are only available at the BOOM! Studios booth whille supplies last on the day of the specified signing.
5-6 p.m. R.J. Ryan (THE JOYNERS IN 3D)
SUNDAY, April 20
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. R.J. Ryan (THE JOYNERS IN 3D)
1-2 p.m. Claudio Sanchez and Chondra Echert (TRANSLUCID, AMORY WARS, KEY OF Z, KILL AUDIO) – This is a ticketed signing. Tickets are only available at the BOOM! Studios booth whille supplies last on the day of the specified signing.)
3:30-4:30 p.m. Natasha Allegri (ADVENTURE TIME: FIONNA & CAKE, BEE AND PUPPYCAT)
In addition, the BOOM! Studios booth will host sketch artists all weekend, including:
Hannah Nance Partlow (ADVENTURE TIME: CANDY CAPERS)
Kassandra Heller (ADVENTURE TIME)
For $20, fans can request and purchase custom sketches to be drawn on blank ADVENTURE TIME Get-A-Sketch covers.
Special WonderCon exclusive variants will be available for purchase for:
BRAVEST WARRIORS 2014 ANNUAL #1 (cover by Sam Lavagnino, the voice of CatBug on the “Bravest Warriors” show!)
HEROBEAR AND THE KID: SAVING TIME #1 (cover by Mike Kunkel)
LUMBERJANES #1 (cover by Jess Fink)
TRANSLUCID #1 (cover by Dan Duncan)
BOOM! will present the following panels at WonderCon:
We Are BOOM!
Sat., April 19, 3:30 p.m., Room 208
Last year was a banner year for BOOM! highlighted by the release of our first feature 2 GUNS (starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg) and new first-look deal with 20th Century Fox. Archaia joined us as a new imprint, we expanded the all-ages KaBOOM! lineup, and launched our newest imprint, BOOM! Box. Join BOOM! Studios VP of Publishing and Marketing Filip Sablik and Editor-In-Chief Matt Gagnon as we share our mission to create the future of comics…now. We are BOOM! Come Innovate With Us.
Redefining All-Ages Comics
Sun., April 20, 11:30 a.m., Room 203
Join KaBOOM! Editor Shannon Watters as she moderates a lively discussion about the importance of all-ages comics in today’s market and teases what’s in store from the BOOM! Studios imprint in 2014. We’re not just talking about “kids” comics, we’re talking about amazing comics that can be enjoyed by young, old, and everyone in between! Adding to the discussion are all-ages creators Mike Kunkel (HEROBEAR AND THE KID), Natasha Allegri (ADVENTURE TIME: FIONNA AND CAKE), and Noelle Stevenson (ADVENTURE TIME)! Bring the whole family and discover comics to share!
For aspiring artists, BOOM! will participate in the following portfolio reviews at WonderCon:
Sat., April 19, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Room 206 B
With Assistant Editor Whitney Leopard and Editor Rebecca Taylor.
Sun., April 20, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Room 206 B
With Editor Shannon Watters.
For tickets and information for WonderCon, visit comic-con.org/wca.
ABOUT BOOM! STUDIOS
Founded by Ross Richie in 2005, Diamond Gem Award-winning “Best Publisher” BOOM! Studios (boom-studios.com) generates a constellation of best-selling Eisner and Harvey Award-winning original and licensed comic books and graphic novels with the industry’s top talent. BOOM! Studios is the home of Mike Carey’s SUICIDE RISK, Clive Barker’s NEXT TESTAMENT and HELLRAISER, Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos’ FAIRY QUEST, PLANET OF THE APES, Max Bemis’ POLARITY and Mark Waid’s IRREDEEMABLE. Steven Grant’s graphic novel 2 GUNS was recently released as a feature film from Universal Pictures, starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. BOOM!’s all-ages imprint KaBOOM! publishes Charles Schulz’ PEANUTS, Jim Davis’ GARFIELD, Cartoon Network’s ADVENTURE TIME and REGULAR SHOW, Mike Kunkel’s HEROBEAR AND THE KID, and Roger Langridge’s Eisner Award-winning SNARKED. In June 2013, BOOM! acquired Archaia Entertainment (archaia.com). Archaia is the Eisner and Harvey Award-winning graphic novel publisher of MOUSE GUARD, COW BOY, GUNNERKRIGG COURT, RUST, SPERA, JIM HENSON’S TALE OF SAND, and many other great titles. In October 2013, BOOM! Studios entered into a unique first-look relationship with 20th Century Fox, giving the studio access to its library of titles and giving the publisher access to Fox’s vast catalog of films.
ARCHAIA EXHIBITING AT C2E2 THIS WEEKEND!
New Titles! A panel on 3D comics! And, contests to win great Archaia Books at our booth through Twitter, Instagram, FourSquare, and more!
CHICAGO, IL (April 25, 2013) – Award-winning graphic novel publisher Archaia Entertainment is excited to announce it will exhibit at booth #1019 at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) for a fourth straight year since the event’s inception! C2E2 is one of the Midwest’s biggest celebrations of comics and pop culture, taking place during the weekend of April 26-28, 2013 in the West Hall of McCormick Place in Chicago, Illinois. Archaia’s corporate headquarters is based in Chicago.
“We love making C2E2 one of our biggest events of the year. Nearly our entire management team is from Chicago, the Chicago fans are great, and our creators really make it a special show for us,” raved Chicago native, Jack Cummins, President & COO of Archaia. “We have great new titles like Strange Attractors, Mumbai Confidential, and HAWKEN: GENESIS, as well as Rust Vol. 2: Secrets of the Cell, Jim Henson’s The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 2, and Pantalones, TX: Don’t Chicken Out. We are excited for our fans to see these new books and find out about the new upcoming Mouse Guard books directly from Eisner Award winner David Petersen.”
Creators and contributors scheduled to appear at the Archaia booth include:
Andrew E. C. Gaska (writer: Space: 1999: Aftershock and Awe, Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes, Critical Millennium: The Dark Frontier, the upcoming Classic Space: 1999)
Andrew Rostan (writer; An Elegy for Amelia Johnson)
Brent Schoonover (artist, Mr. Murder Is Dead)
Chandra Free (writer/artist: The God Machine, Fraggle Rock)
Charles Soule (writer: Strange Attractors)
Cory Godbey (artist: Fraggle Rock, the upcoming Jim Henson’s Labyrinth and Spera Vol. 3)
David Marquez (artist: Syndrome, the upcoming The Joyners in 3D)
David Petersen (writer/artist: Mouse Guard)
Janet Lee (artist: Return of the Dapper Men)
Jeremy Bastian (writer/artist: Cursed Pirate Girl)
Jim McCann (writer: Return of the Dapper Men)
Ramón Pérez (artist: Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand)
R. J. Ryan (writer: Syndrome, the upcoming The Joyners in 3D)
Royden Lepp (writer/artist: The Rust)
Tom Pinchuk (writer: Hybrid Bastards!)
Yehudi Mercado (writer/artist: Pantalones, TX: Don’t Chicken Out)
Check the signing schedule at Archaia.com for your favorite creator’s availability. Here’s what else is going on at the Archaia booth during C2E2 weekend:
• We will present a panel on Sunday! Archaia Entertainment Presents: Comics Storytelling and the Lost Art of 3D, 1:30-2:30pm, Room W471. Join us for an uncensored discussion of the medium’s benefits and drawbacks, as well as a wide-ranging survey of the highs and lows of 60 years of 3D comics, only at C2E2 2013! We will preview the 2013 release of the ambitious, all-3D graphic novel The Joyners in 3D from Archaia, writer R.J. Ryan (Syndrome), New York Times best-selling illustrator David Marquez (All-New X-Men, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Syndrome), and Archaia Editor-in-Chief Stephen Christy have invited a panel of creatives from across comics to dig deep into both the highs and lows of using 3D as a storytelling tool. The multimedia presentation will include big-screen glimpses of comics’ most famous—and most forgettable—3D projects, as well as a brief, exclusive sneak peek at Ryan & Marquez’s epic 3D melodrama, The Joyners in 3D. Moderated by Word Balloon podcast host John Siuntres, every panel attendee receives a free pair of 3D glasses and a coupon to receive a copy of the 2012 Free Comic Book Day hardcover at the Archaia booth (while supplies last)!
• Mouse Guard creator David Petersen and Rust creator Royden Lepp are among the guests on the Imaginative Sci-Fi Authors of C2E2panel! Saturday, 12:45-1:45pm, Room W475B. They will join other science fiction and fantasy authors like E.B. Hudspeth (The Resurrectionist, published by Quirk), Jeffrey Brown (Darth Vader and Son, Top Shelf), Brandon Easton (Roboy, Lion Forge), and Rachel Rawlings (The Maurin Kincaide Series) to talk about their imaginative Sci-Fi and Fantasy graphic novels!
• Meteor Entertainment is bringing the experience of their smash hit, online, free-to-play, giant-mech video game HAWKEN to C2E2 with two play-test kiosks set up at the Archaia booth! Copies of the accompanying graphic novel, HAWKEN: GENESIS, will be on hand for purchase, and each copy comes with a scratch-off card with a code that can be redeemed for 10,000 HAWKEN Credits for use in the game!
• Charles Soule, the new writer of DC’s Swamp Thing, will be on hand to autograph advance copies of his new Archaia graphic novel, Strange Attractors, which is the fascinating sci-fi story of how a professor uses mathematics to help keep New York City from destroying itself! Check for his signing schedule at the booth (#1019) or on Archaia.com.
• Fans who purchase copies of Hopeless, Maine will receive a free, handmade postcard created by authors Tom and Nimue Brown. Quantities are limited!
• Using Foursquare, fans have a chance to win an all-ages prize pack containing copies of: Mouse Guard Vol. 1: Fall 1152; Rust Vol. 1; Pantalones, TX; and Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse. To enter, simply check in to “Archaia Entertainment: Booth #1019” (http://4sq.com/12FDU7y) through the Foursquare app on your iOS or Android phone and tweet your check-in using #ArchaiaC2E2. Winners will be contacted to receive their prize. More info: http://on.fb.me/12G8IFk .
• Using Instagram, fans have a chance to win a Henson/Archaia graphic novel prize pack containing copies of: Fraggle Rock Vol. 1, Fraggle Rock Vol. 2: Tails and Tales, The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1, and The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 2. To enter, take creative photos of the Archaia booth at C2E2 (#1019), upload it using the Instagram app on your iOS or Android phone, and use the hashtag #ArchaiaC2E2. Archaia will choose the best photo and contact the winner to receive their prize! Photos will be posted on the Archaia Facebook page! More info: http://on.fb.me/11idRR2.
• Archaia Entertainment will be hosting a Retweet to Win contest through Twitter for fans who can’t make it to C2E2! Retweeting starts Friday, April 26th at 10am CST! This contest will run thru Sunday, April 28th. To enter, you must follow Archaia on Twitter, look for the special “RT to Win” tweet from our account (@Archaia) which will be sent out several times each day throughout C2E2 weekend (April 26-28). Multiple winners will be selected each day. Prizes include copies of: Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse; The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1; Fraggle Rock Vol. 1; Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 1; HAWKEN: GENESIS; Mouse Guard Vol. 1: Fall 1152; Pantalones, TX; Return of the Dapper Men; andRust Vol. 1. More info: https://www.facebook.com/
See you at C2E2! Visit c2e2.com for information on how to buy tickets!
About Archaia Entertainment, LLC
Archaia is a multi-award-winning graphic novel publisher with more than 75 renowned publishing brands, including such domestic and international hits as Mouse Guard, Rust, Cow Boy, Cursed Pirate Girl, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Artesia. Archaia has also published an entire line of graphic novels in partnership with The Jim Henson Company, including the multiple award-winning Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand and such beloved tales as The Dark Crystal, The Storyteller, and Fraggle Rock. Alongside these celebrated titles, Archaia has released English translations of numerous renowned foreign titles to much fanfare, including The Killer, Sergio Toppi’s Sharaz-De, and The Secret History.
This year, Archaia was honored with two Eisner nominations, and in 2012, Archaia was honored with six Harvey Award nominations, two Harvey Awards, six Eisner nominations, and three Eisner Awards (Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand won for Best Graphic Album–New, Best Penciller/Inker, and Best Publication Design). Also in 2012, Archaia earned both Gold and Silver awards from ForeWord Reviews. Archaia was honored with nine 2011 Eisner Awards nominations and two Eisner Awards for Best Graphic Album and Best Anthology.
In addition to its partnership with The Jim Henson Company, Archaia has forged creative partnerships with storytellers in all facets of the entertainment industry, resulting in print and digital expansions of such noted properties as Bleedout and HAWKEN (video games), Immortalsand Planet of the Apes (film), and Space: 1999 (television).
Archaia has built an unparalleled reputation within the creator community for producing meaningful, transformative content, building one of the industry’s most visually stunning and eclectic slates of graphic novels.
Archaia will be exhibiting at WonderCon Anaheim 2013 in Anaheim, Calif. during the weekend of March 29-31. You can find us at Booth 609! Confirmed Archaia creators in attendance include:
Chris Northrop (writer: the upcoming The Reason for Dragons)
F.J. DeSanto (writer: Immortals: Gods and Heroes, the upcoming Cyborg 009)
Khang Le (creator and story: HAWKEN: GENESIS)
Moro Rogers (writer/artist: City in the Desert)
R.J. Ryan (writer: Syndrome, the upcoming The Joyners in 3D)
Saurav Mohapatra (writer: the upcoming Mumbai Confidential)
Tom Pinchuk (writer: Hybrid Bastards!)
John Chandler (writer/artist: The Skrumps)
Sam Humphries (writer: Fraggle Rock)
Paul Morrissey (writer: Fraggle Rock)
Heather Nuhfer (writer: Fraggle Rock)
We will also be presenting a panel during WonderCon. Please join us!
Saturday, March 30, 11:30a.m. – 12:30p.m., Room 208AB Archaia Presents: Writing for Comics – Writing a script for comic books and graphic novels is not unlike writing one for a film or TV show, but there are marked differences. Telling an artist to “go crazy” on a panel isn’t always the best option. What are some of the things aspiring comic book writers should know, and what are some resources they have available to them? Join a lively discussion with Archaia graphic novelists R.J. Ryan (Syndrome, The Joyners in 3D), Chris Northrop (The Reason for Dragons), Saurav Mohapatra (Mumbai Confidential, Devi), F.J. DeSanto (Immortals: Gods and Heroes, Cyborg 009), Mike Kennedy (Bleedout, Star Wars), and Tom Pinchuk (Hybrid Bastards!) as they talk about their experiences and give their advice on how you can write a really great comic script!
Signing Schedule at the Archaia Booth (#609) (Signing times are subject to change. Please check the Archaia booth for updates.)
FRIDAY, March 29 12-1pm Paul Morrissey and Heather Nuhfer (Fraggle Rock) 1-2pm John Chandler (The Skrumps) 2-3pm Moro Rogers (City in the Desert) 3-4pm R.J. Ryan (Syndrome, The Joyners in 3D) 4-5pm Saurav Mohapatra (Mumbai Confidential) 5-6pm Tom Pinchuk (Hybrid Bastards!) 6-7pm John Chandler (The Skrumps)
SATURDAY, March 30 11am-12pm Moro Rogers (City in the Desert) 12-1pm John Chandler (The Skrumps) 1-2pm Khang Le (HAWKEN: GENESIS) 2-3pm Chris Northrop (The Reason for Dragons) 3-4pm Saurav Mohapatra (Mumbai Confidential) 4-5pm F.J. DeSanto (Immortals: Gods and Heroes, Cyborg oo9) 5-6pm Sam Humphries, Fraggle Rock 6-7pm Tom Pinchuk (Hybrid Bastards!)
SUNDAY, March 31 12-1pm Paul Morrissey and Heather Nuhfer (Fraggle Rock) 3-4pm Moro Rogers (City in the Desert) 4-5pm Paul Morrissey and Heather Nuhfer (Fraggle Rock)