TCAF, The Toronto Comic Arts Festival, has already got fans around the world buzzing in anticipation of the Festival’s 10th Anniversary, this May 11th and 12th! The announcement of exhibitors, guests, and programming was met with widespread excitement as TCAF will play host to some of the greatest comics creators working in the medium today, including Pulitzer Prize winner Art Spiegelman, and internationally acclaimed comics auteurs Taiyo Matsumoto (Japan) and Blutch (France) amongst many others!
TCAF 2013 today officially announces additional acclaimed authors from across Canada and around the world, important new graphic novels debuting at the festival, and the continuation of outreach programs designed to educate and inform about the medium of comics art.
First, TCAF is proud to welcome new Featured Guests:
- Bill Amend: Creator of the widely syndicated Foxtrot comic strip, and the new AAAAA! Foxtrot graphic novel collections from Andrews McMeel. (USA)
- David B.: Author of Epileptic, co-founder of L’Association. Attending in support of Black Paths from publisher SelfMadeHero. (France)
- Chihoi: Exciting, young talent from Hong Kong. Debuting his first the first ever English version of his work, The Library from publisher Conundrum Press. (Hong Kong)
- Glyn Dillon: Appearing in support of the critically-acclaimed The Nao of Brown,from publisher SelfMadeHero. (UK)
- Michael Kupperman: Hilarious surrealist cartoonist, creator of Snake’n’Bacon. Touring in support of Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol 2 from publisher Fantagraphics Books. (USA)
- Bryan Lee O’Malley: Creator of the Scott Pilgrim series, will be debuting Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness Hardcover Color Edition from publisher Oni Press (Canada)
- Michel Rabagliati: Acclaimed Quebec author of the semi-autobiographical and bestselling Paul series. Debuting Paul Joins the Scouts from Conundrum Press. (Canada)
- Judith Vanistendael: Author of Dance by the Light of the Moon. Debuting When David Lost his Voice from publisher SelfMadeHero. (Belgium)
These eight cartoonists join a fantastic and diverse array of Canadian and international cartoonists who will make up the 2013 Festival.
Joining our previously announced, stellar roster of exhibitors are Scott Chantler (Canada), Murilo Martins (Brazil), Inés Estrada (Mexico), Josh Neufeld (USA), Francisco López (Argentina), Kevin Cannon (USA), and Tim Sievert (USA). A full list of exhibitors can be found at http://torontocomics.com/
UK publisher SelfMadeHero will be making some North American debuts at the festival, with English translations of Black Paths by David B., and When David Lost His Voice byJudith Vanistendael.
Conundrum Press is debuting the English translation of Michel Rabagliati’s Paul Joins the Scouts, and announcing the launch of their Conundrum International Imprint withChihoi’s The Library.
Oni Press has chosen to debut the new color hardcover edition of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim Volume 3: Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness at TCAF 2013.
Koyama Press’ recently announced Spring/Summer lineup features some impressive TCAF debuts: Very Casual by Michael Deforge, Journal by Julie Delporte, andEverything Takes Forever by Victor Kerlow
All debut books can be found at http://torontocomics.com/
Librarian and Educator Day: TCAF will be holding a full-day of programming geared towards librarians and educators on Friday, May 10th, from 8:30am to 5pm at Toronto Reference Library, in The Bram and Bluma Appel Salon. This follows a successful trial run of this date in 2012, and will feature librarians, publishers, and authors, sharing information and developing skills related to comics in public, academic, and school libraries and classrooms. More information will be released the second week of March.
Comics Creator Skills and Development Day: TCAF will be holding a full day of skills-building workshops for comics creators on Friday, May 10th. As most comics creators exhibiting at TCAF do not get the opportunity to attend festival panels and other programming, this will offer a rare opportunity for creators to share and develop skills related to their profession. More information will be released at the beginning of April.
Over the next several months, TCAF will announce additional Featured Guests from Canada and around the world, details of programming and related events, and a full run-down of all that’s in store at the 2013 Festival. We will be sending PR for all events, but be sure to check the TCAF Website and social media for up-to-the-minute updates!
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival would not be possible without the assistance of our sponsors and partners, including presenting sponsor Toronto Public Library and retail sponsor The Beguiling Books & Art.
TCAF would like to recognize the efforts of the following organization in planning TCAF on an ongoing basis: The French Consulate in Toronto, The Japan Foundation, The Italian Cultural Institute, NORLA (Norwegian Literature Abroad), The Flemish Literature Fund, and the Australia Council for the Arts
In addition, TCAF would like to thank publishers Drawn & Quarterly, VIZ Media LLC., OWLkids, Conundrum Press, Fantagraphics, Oni Press, Picturebox Inc., Random House Canada, SelfMade Hero, Scholastic Canada, Topatoco, and First Second for their assistance.
Lastly, TCAF is grateful for the financial support of the Toronto Arts Council.
Sponsorship opportunities for TCAF 2013 are still available, please contact us at: email@example.com for more info.
All general press inquiries, interview and press accreditation requests should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEATURED GUEST BIOGRAPHIES:
Bill Amend is the cartoonist behind the comic strip FoxTrot, and has been at it for almost 25 years. He was named Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year by the National Cartoonists Society in 2007.
David B. is a French comic book artist and writer, widely regarded for the book Epileptic. In 1990, he co-founded the independent publisher L’Association, which became a major force in French small-press comics. (France)
Chihoi is a self-taught artist who has been releasing comics since 1996. His work has been translated into Italian, French, and now English with the debut of The Library. This works also marks the beginning of the Conundrum International Imprint. (Hong Kong)
Glyn Dillon has returned to comics after a lengthy hiatus from comics with the critically-acclaimed graphic novel The Nao of Brown. His work has appeared in Deadline Magazine, Shade the Changing Man, and an episode of Sandman. He is attending TCAF with his publisher, SelfMadeHero. (UK)
Michael Kupperman is an American comic artist and humorist whose words and pictures have appeared in places ranging from the New Yorker to Saturday Night Live. He has written four books and illustrated many more. He is touring in support of Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol 2. (USA)
Bryan Lee O’Malley, is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling, hometown hero and creator of the Scott Pilgrim series of comics, which has been adapted into both a video game and a movie. He will be debuting Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness Hardcover Color Edition (Canada)
Michel Rabagliati is the award-winning artist and author of the semi-autobiographicalPaul series (Paul in the Country, Paul Moves Out, Paul Has a Summer Job, Paul Goes Fishing, The Song of Roland), depicting life in Quebec. Rabagliati will be debuting the latest in the series, Pauls Joins the Scouts. (Canada)
Judith Vanistendael will be debuting When David Lost his Voice with UK publisher SelfMadeHero. She holds several art degrees. Her semi-autobiographical book, Dance by the Light of the Moon was nominated for two awards at Angouleme, including the grand prize. (Belgium)
For a full, up-to date exhibitor list including full biographies and artwork, please visithttp://torontocomics.com/
The Beguiling Books & Art is pleased to announce that it will once again be returning to The San Diego Comic-Con to sell a truly outstanding collection of illustrations and original comic book artwork on behalf of its represented artists. The Beguiling’s Peter Birkemoe will be on hand and exhibiting in a small corner of booth #1629, owned by venerable Canadian publisher Drawn & Quarterly, from Preview Night, Wednesday July 11th, through Sunday, July 15th.
The Beguiling represents original art by some of art comics’ greatest names at their online art store, including D&Q cartoonists Kevin Huizenga (Gloriana), Anders Nilsen (Big Questions), and Seth (Palookaville), and comics superstars Jeff Lemire (Essex County), Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba (Casanova), and Bryan Lee O’Malley (Scott Pilgrim). The Beguiling will have over 400 pieces of original art on hand by 26 different artists at San Diego this year. Previews of most pages available online now at http://www.
Highlights of this year’s mix of comics art and illustration include:
- The Beguiling proudly announces that it will begin selling original art work from creators Pascal Girard, Matt Kindt, and Shintaro Kago! Girard is the author of the recently released graphic novel The Reunion from Drawn & Quarterly, and pages from that work and other illustrations will be on hand. Matt Kindt is the author of the graphic novels Super Spy, The Tooth, and 3:Story. His current series is MIND MGMT, an ongoing comic from Dark Horse, and art will be on hand from these and other series’! Kago is a renowned Ero-guro manga artist in Japan, and his work includes truly unique formalist experiments (and some very disturbing imagery), and has been praised by sources as diverse as Scott McCloud and Vice Magazine.
- A selection of pages from recent Drawn & Quarterly graphic novel releases, including pages from Kevin Huizenga’s Gloriana HC and The Wild Kingdom HC, Brian Ralph’s Cave-In, and Anders Nilsen’s Eisner Award nominated graphic novel Big Questions.
- Dozens of new, never-before offered pages by artist Farel Dalrymple. Including new pages from Dalrymple’s work on the series’ Prophet, Fantastic Four, Omega The Unknown, Vice Magazine, and more! So new these aren’t even on our website yet!
- Dozens of new pages by Norwegian artist Jason, from across his many popular graphic novels.
- All of the “new-since-last-Comic-Con” artwork by artists Gabriel Ba, Jeffrey Brown, Sammy Harkham, Jeff Lemire, Kagan McLeod, Fabio Moon, Marco Rudy, Maurice Vellekoop, and Zach Worton. All of these fine cartoonists have provided The Beguiling with new artwork since exhibiting at Comic-Con 2011, from across their many projects. Highlights include Jeff Lemire’s Sweeth Tooth, and the complete artwork (!) for Maurice Vellekoop’s The World of Gloria Badcock.
- A selection of quality originals by Rafael Albuquerque, Becky Cloonan, Jordan Crane, David Heatley, Miriam Katin, Jason Lutes, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Paul Pope, Michel Rabagliati, Seth, Jay Stephens, and Chip Zdarsky. With over 5,000 pieces of original art represented by The Beguiling, a selection of the best and most interesting pieces by these creators will be available for sale in San Diego.
Hate paying for shipping? If you will be at the San Diego Comic-Con and are interested in purchasing a specific piece of art from our website, we will happily bring it to the show for you. If you’d like us to bring a specific piece from our website to take a look at, please contact us at mail at beguiling dot com. Unfortunately we are not “holding” art for people unless they have purchased it outright, but we will try to accommodate all requests.
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, The Beguiling is a book store and original art dealer in Toronto, Canada. We represent original art sales from over three dozen comics creators and illustrators from around the world. Almost all of the original art that The Beguiling represents is consigned by the artists, ensuring we are able to offer the widest possible selection of material and that the artists get the largest possible chunk of the proceeds. To see our collection of original art, visit us online at http://www.