Please join Al Jaffee, whose inventive work has enlivened the pages of MAD magazine since 1955, and Westporter Mary-Lou Weisman for a talk and signing that has been described as a page-turner, Al Jaffee’s Mad Life: A Biography, on Tuesday December 07, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
Barnes & Noble – Westport
Post Plaza Shopping Center, 1076 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880
Sergio Aragones discusses and signs MAD’s Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones: Five Decades of His Finest Works on October 23rd at 5pm.
For over five decades, MAD Magazine has kept devoted audiences in stitches with its consistently excellent and surprisingly relevant satire. From the witty, shameless writing to the amusing, colorful comic illustrations, MAD is a timeless American classic. For the first time ever, here is a “greatest hits” collection of one of MAD’s most popular and prolific artists—Sergio Aragonés—hand-picked by the artist and featuring his greatest work from his debut with MAD in 1963 to the present. Assembled chronologically, it’s packed with memorable cartoons, insightful interviews, new cover artwork commissioned for this book, and a special pull-out poster of Sergio’s “Marginals,” the wildly popular mini-cartoons that have appeared in MAD’s margins for over 40 years.
8818 Sunset Blvd, W. Hollywood, CA 90069
Stars and Producers from Nikita, V, The Vampire Diaries, Young Justice, MAD, and Green Lantern: The Animated Series to Appear October 8–10 at New York Comic Con 2010.
Selected stars and producers from these programs will be on-hand for panel sessions, media appearances and autograph signings at the East Coast’s biggest and most exciting popular culture convention from Friday, October 8–Sunday, October 10.
• Three generations of V queens — series stars Morena Baccarin and Laura Vandervoort, and guest star Jane Badler (Diana on the original V) — discuss their epic power struggle over the future of humanity in the forthcoming season two
• The Vampire Diaries executive producers Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec join series stars Steven R. McQueen, Sara Canning, Katerina Graham and Zach Roerig for their first New York Comic Con appearance (Note: Attendees are subject to change.)
• Nikita stars Maggie Q., Shane West and Lyndsy Fonseca team up with executive producer Craig Silverstein to give fans a peek a what’s ahead in season one
• Warner Bros. Animation unveils exclusive new footage from the upcoming series Young Justice, and the creative team behind Green Lantern: The Animated Series talks about this new project
• The team behind DC Comics’ MAD Magazine and Warner Bros. Animation’s new MAD animated television series give fans a light-hearted look at the past, present and future of an American institution For continuing information about the Studio’s plans at New York Comic Con, please follow us on Twitter @TheWBdotcom or search for news using the #WBNYCC hashtag.
Here is the complete WBTV and WBA New York Comic Con schedule:
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8
• 3:15–4:15 p.m. Mad About MAD Presentation/Q&A — MAD Magazine has established itself as the original, most imitated and influential satirical publication across generations. Recently, MAD made a triumphant return to TV on Cartoon Network with an all-new animated series from Warner Bros. Animation to corrupt the minds of the next generation! Come join MAD Magazine editor John Ficarra, MAD art director Sam Viviano, legendary MAD artist Mort Drucker and MAD television program producer Mark Marek, plus a few surprise guests for a lighthearted look at the past, present and future of an American institution. Room 1A06-7
• 4:30–5:30 p.m. MAD Signing at the DC Comics booth #2243
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9
• 2:00–3:00 p.m. Young Justice Signing at the DC Comics booth #2243
• 2:30–3:30 p.m. Green Lantern: The Animated Series Presentation/Q&A — Saturday will be NYCC’s “brightest day” as Warner Bros. Animation proudly unveils this new series coming soon to Cartoon Network and based upon characters from DC Comics. Join series executive producer Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series), producer Giancarlo Volpe (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and producer/story editor Jim Krieg (Ben 10: Alien Swarm) as these creative forces reveal their plans for one of the most highly anticipated new animated series. Room 1A14
• 3:45–4:45 p.m. Young Justice Video Presentation and Q&A — Join the league! Fans were given their first glimpse of Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis this past July at Comic-Con International: San Diego. But this panel will offer far more than just a glimpse, as producers Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) answer questions from fans and show footage from this highly anticipated series. A one-hour special event of Young Justice will premiere in November 2010 on Cartoon Network, and the series begins in 2011. Young Justice is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and is based upon characters from DC Comics. Room 1A14
• 4:00–5:00 p.m. Green Lantern: The Animated Series Signing at the DC Comics
• 5:15–6:15 p.m. V Special Video Presentation and Cast/Producer Q&A — In the first season of V, the Visitors arrived. In the second, coming in November to ABC, three generations of V queens — played by Morena Baccarin (Firefly), Laura Vandervoort (Smallville) and guest star Jane Badler (Diana on the original V) — will engage in an epic power struggle over the future of humanity. Join them and a V executive producer for a panel that will feature Q&A as well as footage from the new season. V is produced by HDFilms in association with Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/V. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. V Signing in Room 1C05
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10
• 10:30–11:30 a.m. Nikita Video Presentation and Q&A — Looks do kill! International action star Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III) plays Nikita, the former spy and assassin determined to destroy the secretive and corrupt government agency that trained her. Join Maggie, Shane West (ER), Lyndsy Fonseca (Kick-Ass) and executive producer Craig Silverstein (Bones) as they answer questions and provide a sneak peek at what fans can expect in upcoming episodes. From Wonderland Sound and Vision in association with Warner Bros. Television, Nikita airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Become a fan of the show on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nikita. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 1:00–1:45 p.m. Nikita Signing in Room 1C05
• 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. The Vampire Diaries Special Video Presentation and Select Cast/Producer Q&A — The Vampire Diaries sinks its teeth into the Big Apple today — a New York Comic Con first! Join series stars Steven R. McQueen (character name: Jeremy), Sara Canning (Jenna), Katerina Graham (Bonnie) and Zach Roerig (Matt), and executive producers Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec for a discussion of all things Mystic Falls! NOTE: Attendees are subject to change. From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thevampirediaries and follow the show on Twitter at ww.twitter.com/CW_VampDiaries. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 2:00–3:00 p.m. The Vampire Diaries Signing in Room 1C05
Come meet Sergio Aragones, a cartoonist and writer best known for his profuse contributions to MAD Magazine. Now you can enjoy his greatest work from his debut with MAD in 1963 to the present in his new book, MAD’s Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones: Five Decades of His Finest Works, and have him personally autograph it.
Friday October 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM
Barnes & Noble
Ventura Gateway, 4820 Telephone Road, Ventura, CA 93003, 805-339-0990
Al Jaffee signs on October 19th from 7:00PM – 8:00PM.
A MAD magazine contributor for 55 years-with work in more than 440 issues and counting!-iconic satiric cartoonist Al Jaffee has helped corrupt three generations of American adolescents with his ingenious and jaundiced humor. Now 89, the man who invented the magazine’s beloved “Fold-in” and provided countless “Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions” has rarely spoken about his own peculiar childhood-a story as off-kilter as anything he could have dreamed up for MAD.
In the authorized biography, Al Jaffee’s Mad Life, award-winning journalist Mary-Lou Weisman reconstructs Jaffee’s extraordinary life story with the help of more than 65 original 4-color illustrations drawn for the book by Jaffee himself.
Mary-Lou Weisman will interview Al Jaffee on the Strand Stage.
828 Broadway (at 12th St.), New York, NY 10003-4805
Al Jaffee & Mary Lou Weisman sign Al Jaffee’s Mad Life on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
A MAD Magazine contributor for 55 years, with work appearing in more than 440 issues and counting, iconic satiric cartoonist Al Jaffee has helped corrupt three generations of American adolescents with his ingenious and jaundiced humor. Now 89, the man who invented the magazine’s beloved Fold-in and provided countless Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions has rarely spoken about his own peculiar childhood until now.
Borders – Columbus Circle
10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019
Comics and comix collide as the funnies meet the funny in the sixth annual fundraiser and silent art auction for San Francisco’s Cartoon Art Museum. Join the Bay Area’s funniest folk for a night of food, drink, and entertainment, and bid on original art by some of today’s brightest stars in comics. This year Comics 4 Comix takes place on Tuesday, September 7th 2010, at San Francisco’s famed Punchline Comedy Club, 444 Battery Street. The doors open at 6:30pm, and the show starts at 8pm. General admission tickets for this benefit cost $20. Tickets may be purchased in advance from Livenation’s website (livenation.com) or at the door on the night of the event.
The Cartoon Art Museum will host an all-star cast of stand-up comics for this event, featuring headliner comedian and Simpsons writer Dana Gould, as well as local comedians Joe Klocek, Mike Meehan, and host Michael Capozzola, comedian and creator of the comic strip Surveillance Caricatures in the San Francisco Chronicle’s 96 hours section. Accommodations for our headliner are being provided by the InterContinental San Francisco. Performances will begin at 8 pm. In addition to getting a dose of high comedy, attendees will have the opportunity to bid on and peruse original comic strip art from popular local and national cartoonists, including Dan Piraro (Bizarro), Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse), Michael Jantze (The Norm), Jack Davis (Mad Magazine), Keith Knight (The K Chronicles), and much, much more.
Meet Cartoonist Duck Edwing (Mad Magazine and illustrator for the gaming industry)
Saturday, May 1
2:30 p.m – 4:30 p.m.
Downtown Library Auditorium
Watch a super-hero movie
(PG 13 starts at 2:30 p.m.)
Wear a costume
Check out books, DVDs, graphic novels and Manga
Swap comic books (bring one take one)
Bring snacks and drinks to share
Free Comics (while supplies last)
With less than a month to go before the convention, Boston Comic Con is happy to announce more guest appearances! It is our privilege to bring to New England a legend of comics, the fastest cartoonist alive, Sergio AragonÃ©s! A mainstay of MAD Magazine for nearly 50 years Sergio’s cartoons have appeared in almost every issue. He is also the creator of Groo the Wanderer, one of the longest-running creator-owned comic book properties, which has outlasted many of the companies that published it.
We are also excited to welcome our very first media guest Amber Benson. Best known for her role as Tara Maclay, Willow’s ill-fated girlfriend on the hit television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Amber also co-wrote the Willow & Tara limited series with fellow guest Christopher Golden for Dark Horse Comics. Currently Amber is directing, producing, and starring in the upcoming film Drones and recently published Cat’s Claw, her second novel in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series.
Previously announced guests include Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Eric Powell, JH Williams III, Joseph M. Linsner, Ben Templesmith, Bill Sienkiewicz, Billy Tan, Cameron Stewart, Christopher Golden, Craig Rousseau, Eva Hopkins, Jim Mahfood, Jim Starlin, Joe Jusko, Joe Quinones, Mark Chiarello, Michael Golden, Norman Lee, Skottie Young, Steve Rude, Pat Broderick, and many more! Tell your friends!!
The Boston Comic Con is in its fourth year of producing independent comic book shows and is committed to bringing the biggest and best comic book show to New England. The Boston Comic Con hosts over 22,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia. The event will be held Saturday April 10th and Sunday April 11th at the Westin Waterfront, 425 Summer Street, Boston, MA from 10am to 5pm. Admission is $15 each day. For more information please go to our website.
Peter Kuper signs on Thursday, March 18, 7pm-8:30pm.
We are very proud to announce that Peter Kuper, one of the modern giants of comics and illustration, appears at Chapel Hill Comics on Thursday, March 18, from 7pm until 8:30pm! Check it out:
Peter Kuper Is the co-founder of the political zine World War 3 illustrated and has been drawing Spy vs Spy for Mad Magazine since 1997. He has produced over twenty books including The System and an adaptaion of Kafka’s The Metamorphosis. His latest book Diario de Oaxaca is a sketchbook journal of two years he spent in Oaxaca, Mexico. He has just completed illustrating a Spanish language version of Alice in Wonderland. More of his work can be found at www.peterkuper.com
We’ll have copies of Diario de Oaxaca and Spy vs Spy: The Joke and Dagger Files on hand for folks to purchase and have signed.
Peter will also be appearing earlier that evening at the Nasher Museum at Duke University and is appearing at Chapel Hill Comics with their cooperation!
Chapel Hill Comics, 316 W Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27516