Comments Off on GA – MAD Artists Speak at SCAD
Al Jaffee, Sergio Aragones, Jack Davis, Paul Coker Jr, and more speak at SCAD on Saturday, November 12th, 2011 from 5:00PM – 6:30PM!
The Savannah College of Art and Design and the Southeast Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society will present “IT’S A SCAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WEEKEND,” a special weekend celebration of the enduring influence of MAD Magazine’s cartoonists from Nov.11–13 at locations throughout SCAD in Savannah, Georgia.
Highlighting this conference will be “A SCAD, MAD, MAD, MAD Discussion,” a panel discussion with some of the original artists from MAD on Saturday, Nov. 12 from 5–6:30 p.m. at the Trustees Theater, 216 E. Broughton St., Savannah, Georgia. This panel will be free and open to the public.
“SCAD and the sequential art department are both honored and excited about the historical significance of hosting MAD Magazine artists with the National Cartoonist Society, Southeastern Chapter,” said SCAD sequential art chair Anthony Fisher. “This is truly a unique opportunity for students to meet and learn form master artists who have contributed to the advancements in the art form of sequential art and defined cultural satire for nearly 60 years.”
Self-dubbed “The Usual Gang of Idiots,” the legendary cartoonists scheduled to appear on the panel include:
· Jack Davis. Davis was one of the original cartoonists for MAD in 1952. He illustrated the very first story in the very first issue of MAD.
· Al Jaffee. With his first piece in 1955, Savannah-born Jaffee is MAD’s longest-running freelance contributor. He is best known for creating one of the magazine’s trademark features, the MAD fold-in. Every issue since April of 1964 has featured a Jaffee fold-in.
· Paul Coker, Jr. Coker has been a contributor to MAD since 1962 and has appeared in over 300 issues.
· Nick Meglin. Meglin is a former editor of MAD Magazine, a position he held for over thirty years.
· ‘Duck’ Edwing. Edwing began his career with MAD in 1961 and wrote Spy vs. Spy for about 12 years, along with his own feature, Tales from the Duckside.
· Sergio Aragones. Aragones has been at MAD since 1963. He distinguished himself with his “Marginal Thinking” strips, which were printed up, down, across, and around the corners of comic panels to fill in the margins.
· Sam Viviano. Viviano began his MAD career as a freelance artist and while still illustrating articles also currently serves as MAD’s art director.
· Tom Richmond. Richmond has been a regular contributor to the magazine since 2000.
This esteemed group of artists will also be working with SCAD sequential art students in workshops and portfolio reviews.
MAD was created in 1952 by the brilliant artist and writer Harvey Kurtzman and maverick publisher William M. Gaines. The magazine quickly became known for its satirical look at all aspects of life and popular culture, politics, entertainment, and public figures. It’s been called revolutionary, subversive, surreal, hilarious, and a total waste of time. (The latter by its own editors).
Savannah College of Art and Design
216 E. Broughton Street, Savannah, GA 31401
Comments Off on DC Comics Panel Schedule for NYCC 2011
Friday, October 14
DC: Talent Search
Join DCE’s Editorial Art Director, Mark Chiarello, for an informative orientation session that will explain how DCE’s Talent Search works and discuss the different needs of the DC Comics, Vertigo, and MAD Magazine brands. If you want to learn what DCE looks for in artists and how to improve your chances of becoming a working professional, then this is the panel for you! In order to have your work reviewed, attendance at this orientation session is mandatory. (Please note: Not all attendees are guaranteed a one-on-one review.) Room 1B01
DC ALL ACCESS: Batman
Find out everything you need to know about the Dark Knight Detective and his cohorts in the new DC universe—from Batwoman to Batgirl to Robin, the Boy Wonder! Explore the streets of Gotham City with all-star creators such as Lee Bermejo (Batman: Noel), Chris Burnham (Batman Inc.), Tony Daniel (Detective Comics), Greg Capullo (Batman), David Finch (Batman: The Dark Knight), Kyle Higgins (Nightwing), Amy Reeder (Batwoman), Scott Snyder (Batman), and Peter J. Tomasi (Batman and Robin)! Room 1A10
Join the writers and artists behind the acclaimed and award-winning brand for a panel about the weird, the wild and the always unexpected with all-star talent including Jason Aaron (Scalped), Brian Azzarello (Spaceman, 100 Bullets), Rebecca Guay (A Flight of Angels), Phil Jimenez (Fairest), Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth), Chris Roberson (iZOMBIE), Douglas Rushkoff (A.D.D.), Marzena Sowa (Marzi), Sylvain Savoia (Marzi) and Scott Snyder (American Vampire)! And introducing some new Vertigo blood! Room 1A22
DC ALL ACCESS: Green Lantern
In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night, the minds behind the Green Lantern franchise take flight—onto the stage to shed some light on the Emerald Warriors! Join the Corps with DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer and Green Lantern writer Geoff Johns, along with Tony Bedard (Green Lantern: New Guardians), Doug Mahnke (Green Lantern), Ivan Reis (Blackest Night), writer Peter Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps) and more! Room 1A10
Saturday, October 15
DC: Talent Search
Join DCE’s Editorial Art Director, Mark Chiarello, for an informative orientation session that will explain how DCE’s Talent Search works and discuss the different needs of the DC Comics, Vertigo and MAD Magazine brands. If you want to learn what DCE looks for in artists and how to improve your chances of becoming a working professional, then this is the panel for you! In order to have your work reviewed, attendance at this orientation session is mandatory. (Please note: Not all attendees are guaranteed a one-on-one review.) Room 1A15
VERTIGO: Scary S**T!
Join Vertigo’s monthly writers as they discuss vampires, zombies, the apocalypse and more, with top creators including Brian Azzarello (Spaceman), Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth), Chris Roberson (iZOMBIE) and Scott Snyder (American Vampire)! And introducing some new Vertigo blood! Room 1A22
DC ALL ACCESS: Justice League
Before they were the World’s Greatest Superheroes, they were considered the world’s most feared vigilantes. Join some of the creators of the new DC universe in a panel discussion headlined by the creative team behind the flagship title of DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 — DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee. Including all-star creators such as Brian Azzarello (Wonder Woman), Brian Buccellato (The Flash), Cliff Chiang (Wonder Woman), Yildiray Cinar (The Fury of Firestorm), Tony Daniel (Detective Comics, The Savage Hawkman), Francis Manapul (The Flash), Joe Prado (Aquaman), Ivan Reis (Aquaman), Philip Tan (The Savage Hawkman), and Eric Wallace (Mr. Terrific). Room 1A10
DC ALL ACCESS: Superman
With the launch of DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, a new era for Superman begins! Find out what’s in the works for the Man of Tomorrow as we look at his upcoming exploits in ACTION COMICS, SUPERMAN and more! Don’t miss this panel featuring Mahmud Asrar (Supergirl), Shane Davis (Superman: Earth One) and others! Room 1A10
DC ALL ACCESS: The Edge/ The Dark
The DC universe is home to all kinds of heroes – including some who barely fit that name! Hear what’s coming up in the pages of titles like JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, SWAMP THING, O.M.A.C., ALL-STAR WESTERN and more, with top talent including Ivan Brandon (Men of War), Paul Cornell (Stormwatch, Demon Knights), Josh Fialkov (I, Vampire), Keith Giffen (O.M.A.C.), Adam Glass (Suicide Squad), Viktor Kalvachev (Men of War), Andy Lanning (Resurrection Man), Jeff Lemire (Animal Man, Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.), Justin Norman (All-Star Western), Jimmy Palmiotti (All-Star Western), and Scott Snyder (Swamp Thing)! Room 1A22
Sunday, October 16
12:15pm – 1:15pm
MAD is more than just the best-selling humor magazine in the nation – it’s also the inspiration for the hit animated series on Cartoon Network, now in its second season! Find out what’s happening with the Usual Gang of Idiots in this panel featuring MAD Magazine editor John Ficarra, art director Sam Viviano and TV producer Kevin Schinick! Room 1A24
DC ALL ACCESS: Meet the Publishers
As Co-Publishers of DC Entertainment, Jim Lee and Dan DiDio are the driving forces behind DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, DC’s digital initiative, and much more, as well as being the artist of JUSTICE LEAGUE and writer of O.M.A.C.! This up-close-and-personal panel gives you a chance to step up and ask questions! Room 1A06
DC ALL ACCESS: Young Justice
They may be young – but they’re still heroes! Find out what’s happening for THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, TEEN TITANS and more as DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 unfolds in this panel featuring Franco Aureliani (Tiny Titans), Art Baltazar (Tiny Titans), Tony Bedard (Blue Beetle), Sterling Gates (Hawk and Dove), Jonathan Glapion (Static Shock), Paul Levitz (Legion of Super-Heroes), and Francis Portela (Legion of Super-Heroes)! Room 1A22
Eric Powell, Chris Ryall, Matt Frank, and Dirk Wood appear on Saturday, April 9, 2011 from 1-5pm!
Have your Portfolio Reviewed by Chris Ryall, Editor-in-Chief of IDW Publishing
Schmooze with Eric Powell, Eisner Award-Winning Artist and Writer
Get your awesome TATE’S Godzilla Variant Cover signed by artist Matt Frank!
Pick the brain of Dirk Wood, IDW’s Director of Marketing, on the direction of IDW titles future, present and past.
About IDW Publishing: Founded in 1999 and recognized as the #4 comic book publisher in the U.S. They currently publish a wide range of comic books and graphic novels.
Chris Ryall: Chief Creative Officer and Editor-in-Chief of IDW Publishing. Chris is also an Eagle & Eisner Award-nominated editor and comic book writer, having written over three dozen comics.
Eric Powell: Writer and artist creator of critically acclaimed dark comedy series The Goon. He has also contributed work to comic titles Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, MAD Magazine, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, Action Comics, and Creepy.
Matt Frank: Comic artist best known for his rampages through the worlds of giant monsters. Contributing work to IDW’s Transformers series and Wrath of the Titans: Cyclops. Matt was most recently the lead artist for IDW’s Godzilla Store-Crushing Cover project, as well as subsequent incentive covers for Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters. Matt is also currently working on a web comic series titled Giant Monster Zak!
Dirk Wood: Director of Retailer Marketing at IDW, Dirk Wood has over 17 years of experience in the comic industry, including a long stint as Marketing Director for Dark Horse Comics, after starting his career in retail as Operations Manager for Things From Another World. Currently best known as the comic narrator of IDW’s section in Diamond Previews.
TATE’S Comics, Inc.
4566 N. University Drive, Lauderhill, FL 33351
Comments Off on NYC – Al Jaffee Retrospective
Al Jaffee, Peter Kuper, John Bunk and Danny Fingeroth appear at MoCCA on Dec. 9th.
To celebrate the awe-inspiring event that is the “IS THIS THE AL JAFFEE ART EXHIBIT?” exhibit, we’ve assembled an “unusual gang of idiots” including AL JAFFEE himself, plus two of Al’s fellow MAD magazine creators whose work has been greatly influenced by Jaffee—PETER KUPER and TOM BUNK—as well as, playing moderator, the co-curator of the Jaffee exhibit and MoCCA SVP of Education, DANNY FINGEROTH! Would you be mad to miss this amazing panel? At $5 cheap (and FREE for MoCCA members), you sure would be—not to mention crazy, insane, and fershlugginer!
Thursday, December 9, 7 PM
IS THIS AN AL JAFFEE MOCCA THURSDAY PANEL?
Admission: $5|Free for MoCCA Members
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art
594 Broadway, Suite 401, New York, NY 10012
(btwn. Houston and Prince)
Please join Al Jaffee, whose inventive work has enlivened the pages of MAD magazine since 1955, and Westporter Mary-Lou Weisman for a talk and signing that has been described as a page-turner, Al Jaffee’s Mad Life: A Biography, on Tuesday December 07, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
Barnes & Noble – Westport
Post Plaza Shopping Center, 1076 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880
Comments Off on CA – MAD’s Greatest Artists
Sergio Aragones discusses and signs MAD’s Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones: Five Decades of His Finest Works on October 23rd at 5pm.
For over five decades, MAD Magazine has kept devoted audiences in stitches with its consistently excellent and surprisingly relevant satire. From the witty, shameless writing to the amusing, colorful comic illustrations, MAD is a timeless American classic. For the first time ever, here is a “greatest hits” collection of one of MAD’s most popular and prolific artists—Sergio Aragonés—hand-picked by the artist and featuring his greatest work from his debut with MAD in 1963 to the present. Assembled chronologically, it’s packed with memorable cartoons, insightful interviews, new cover artwork commissioned for this book, and a special pull-out poster of Sergio’s “Marginals,” the wildly popular mini-cartoons that have appeared in MAD’s margins for over 40 years.
8818 Sunset Blvd, W. Hollywood, CA 90069
Comments Off on Warner Bros. Showcases Television Stars at NYCC 2010
Stars and Producers from Nikita, V, The Vampire Diaries, Young Justice, MAD, and Green Lantern: The Animated Series to Appear October 8–10 at New York Comic Con 2010.
Selected stars and producers from these programs will be on-hand for panel sessions, media appearances and autograph signings at the East Coast’s biggest and most exciting popular culture convention from Friday, October 8–Sunday, October 10.
• Three generations of V queens — series stars Morena Baccarin and Laura Vandervoort, and guest star Jane Badler (Diana on the original V) — discuss their epic power struggle over the future of humanity in the forthcoming season two
• The Vampire Diaries executive producers Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec join series stars Steven R. McQueen, Sara Canning, Katerina Graham and Zach Roerig for their first New York Comic Con appearance (Note: Attendees are subject to change.)
• Nikita stars Maggie Q., Shane West and Lyndsy Fonseca team up with executive producer Craig Silverstein to give fans a peek a what’s ahead in season one
• Warner Bros. Animation unveils exclusive new footage from the upcoming series Young Justice, and the creative team behind Green Lantern: The Animated Series talks about this new project
• The team behind DC Comics’ MAD Magazine and Warner Bros. Animation’s new MAD animated television series give fans a light-hearted look at the past, present and future of an American institution For continuing information about the Studio’s plans at New York Comic Con, please follow us on Twitter @TheWBdotcom or search for news using the #WBNYCC hashtag.
Here is the complete WBTV and WBA New York Comic Con schedule:
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8
• 3:15–4:15 p.m. Mad About MAD Presentation/Q&A — MAD Magazine has established itself as the original, most imitated and influential satirical publication across generations. Recently, MAD made a triumphant return to TV on Cartoon Network with an all-new animated series from Warner Bros. Animation to corrupt the minds of the next generation! Come join MAD Magazine editor John Ficarra, MAD art director Sam Viviano, legendary MAD artist Mort Drucker and MAD television program producer Mark Marek, plus a few surprise guests for a lighthearted look at the past, present and future of an American institution. Room 1A06-7
• 4:30–5:30 p.m. MAD Signing at the DC Comics booth #2243
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9
• 2:00–3:00 p.m. Young Justice Signing at the DC Comics booth #2243
• 2:30–3:30 p.m. Green Lantern: The Animated Series Presentation/Q&A — Saturday will be NYCC’s “brightest day” as Warner Bros. Animation proudly unveils this new series coming soon to Cartoon Network and based upon characters from DC Comics. Join series executive producer Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series), producer Giancarlo Volpe (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and producer/story editor Jim Krieg (Ben 10: Alien Swarm) as these creative forces reveal their plans for one of the most highly anticipated new animated series. Room 1A14
• 3:45–4:45 p.m. Young Justice Video Presentation and Q&A — Join the league! Fans were given their first glimpse of Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis this past July at Comic-Con International: San Diego. But this panel will offer far more than just a glimpse, as producers Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) answer questions from fans and show footage from this highly anticipated series. A one-hour special event of Young Justice will premiere in November 2010 on Cartoon Network, and the series begins in 2011. Young Justice is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and is based upon characters from DC Comics. Room 1A14
• 4:00–5:00 p.m. Green Lantern: The Animated Series Signing at the DC Comics
• 5:15–6:15 p.m. V Special Video Presentation and Cast/Producer Q&A — In the first season of V, the Visitors arrived. In the second, coming in November to ABC, three generations of V queens — played by Morena Baccarin (Firefly), Laura Vandervoort (Smallville) and guest star Jane Badler (Diana on the original V) — will engage in an epic power struggle over the future of humanity. Join them and a V executive producer for a panel that will feature Q&A as well as footage from the new season. V is produced by HDFilms in association with Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/V. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. V Signing in Room 1C05
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10
• 10:30–11:30 a.m. Nikita Video Presentation and Q&A — Looks do kill! International action star Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III) plays Nikita, the former spy and assassin determined to destroy the secretive and corrupt government agency that trained her. Join Maggie, Shane West (ER), Lyndsy Fonseca (Kick-Ass) and executive producer Craig Silverstein (Bones) as they answer questions and provide a sneak peek at what fans can expect in upcoming episodes. From Wonderland Sound and Vision in association with Warner Bros. Television, Nikita airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Become a fan of the show on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nikita. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 1:00–1:45 p.m. Nikita Signing in Room 1C05
• 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. The Vampire Diaries Special Video Presentation and Select Cast/Producer Q&A — The Vampire Diaries sinks its teeth into the Big Apple today — a New York Comic Con first! Join series stars Steven R. McQueen (character name: Jeremy), Sara Canning (Jenna), Katerina Graham (Bonnie) and Zach Roerig (Matt), and executive producers Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec for a discussion of all things Mystic Falls! NOTE: Attendees are subject to change. From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thevampirediaries and follow the show on Twitter at ww.twitter.com/CW_VampDiaries. IGN Theater/Special Events Hall
• 2:00–3:00 p.m. The Vampire Diaries Signing in Room 1C05
Come meet Sergio Aragones, a cartoonist and writer best known for his profuse contributions to MAD Magazine. Now you can enjoy his greatest work from his debut with MAD in 1963 to the present in his new book, MAD’s Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones: Five Decades of His Finest Works, and have him personally autograph it.
Friday October 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM
Barnes & Noble
Ventura Gateway, 4820 Telephone Road, Ventura, CA 93003, 805-339-0990
Comments Off on NYC – Al Jaffee’s Mad Life Signing
Al Jaffee signs on October 19th from 7:00PM – 8:00PM.
A MAD magazine contributor for 55 years-with work in more than 440 issues and counting!-iconic satiric cartoonist Al Jaffee has helped corrupt three generations of American adolescents with his ingenious and jaundiced humor. Now 89, the man who invented the magazine’s beloved “Fold-in” and provided countless “Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions” has rarely spoken about his own peculiar childhood-a story as off-kilter as anything he could have dreamed up for MAD.
In the authorized biography, Al Jaffee’s Mad Life, award-winning journalist Mary-Lou Weisman reconstructs Jaffee’s extraordinary life story with the help of more than 65 original 4-color illustrations drawn for the book by Jaffee himself.
Mary-Lou Weisman will interview Al Jaffee on the Strand Stage.
828 Broadway (at 12th St.), New York, NY 10003-4805
Al Jaffee & Mary Lou Weisman sign Al Jaffee’s Mad Life on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
A MAD Magazine contributor for 55 years, with work appearing in more than 440 issues and counting, iconic satiric cartoonist Al Jaffee has helped corrupt three generations of American adolescents with his ingenious and jaundiced humor. Now 89, the man who invented the magazine’s beloved Fold-in and provided countless Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions has rarely spoken about his own peculiar childhood until now.
Borders – Columbus Circle
10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019