BOOM! Studios Announces Exclusive ‘Protocol: Orphans’ Variant For Long Beach Comic and Horror Con 2013
BOOM! STUDIOS ANNOUNCES BOOTH, TALENT, PANEL, AND EXCLUSIVE ‘PROTOCOL: ORPHANS’ VARIANT FOR LONG BEACH COMIC & HORROR CON
Nov. 21st, 2013 – Los Angeles, CA – Award-winning publisher BOOM! Studios announced today it will exhibit at the 5th Annual Long Beach Comic & Horror Con, to be held during the weekend of Nov. 23-24 at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, Calif.
BOOM! can be found at booth #201 and will host creators Caleb Monroe (STEED AND MRS. PEEL, ICE AGE) and Eric M. Esquivel (FREELANCERS, the upcoming LOKI: RAGNAROK AND ROLL), plus sketch artists Hannah Nance Partlow and Travis Hill. In addition, a special LBCHC variant cover for newly launched series PROTOCOL: ORPHANS (created by Peter Facinelli and Rob DeFranco, written by Michael Alan Nelson, and illustrated by Mariano Navarro) will be available for purchase.
BOOM! will also put on the following panel on Saturday:
BOOM! Studios Presents: We Are BOOM!, Sat., Nov. 23, 1 p.m., Room 102C
You will not want to miss this jam-packed, inspiring hour as BOOM! Studios VP of Marketing and Publishing Filip Sablik reintroduces BOOM! to the world of comics. This won’t be your average publisher panel droning on and on through a series of press releases and stale cover images. Find out what makes BOOM! Studios different than every other comic publisher in the market and why 2013 has been a transformative year for us. We are BOOM! Come Innovate With Us.
At the booth, BOOM! will have a selection of titles for sale, including books from its imprints, KaBOOM! and Archaia.
ABOUT BOOM! STUDIOS
Founded by Ross Richie in 2005, Diamond Gem Award-winning “Best Publisher” BOOM! Studios (boom-studios.com) generates a constellation of best-selling Eisner and Harvey Award-winning original and licensed comic books and graphic novels with the industry’s top talent. BOOM! Studios is the home of Mike Carey’s SUICIDE RISK, Clive Barker’s NEXT TESTAMENT and HELLRAISER, Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos’ FAIRY QUEST, PLANET OF THE APES, Max Bemis’ POLARITY and Mark Waid’s IRREDEEMABLE. Steven Grant’s graphic novel 2 GUNS was recently released as a feature film from Universal Pictures, starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. BOOM!’s all-ages imprint KaBOOM! publishes Charles Schulz’ PEANUTS, Jim Davis’ GARFIELD, Cartoon Network’s ADVENTURE TIME and REGULAR SHOW, Mike Kunkel’s HEROBEAR AND THE KID, and Roger Langridge’s Eisner Award-winning SNARKED. In June 2013, BOOM! acquired Archaia Entertainment (archaia.com. Archaia is the Eisner and Harvey Award-winning graphic novel publisher of MOUSE GUARD, COW BOY, GUNNERKRIGG COURT, RUST, SPERA, JIM HENSON’S TALE OF SAND, RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN, and many other great titles. In October 2013, BOOM! Studios entered into a unique first-look relationship with 20th Century Fox, giving the studio access to its library of titles and giving the publisher access to Fox’s vast catalog of films.
Premiere Props and their Hollywood Extravaganza XII will be an amazing part of the 5th Anniversary Long Beach Comic & Horror Con! Premier Props will auction over 1,000 movie props and costumes at their Hollywood Auction Extravaganza XII on Saturday, November 23 and Sunday, November 24 at the Con.
“We are so excited this year to be doing a Live Auction that will go worldwide. We think the fans will be excited to see the amount of items from various films and TV shows that will be up for auction! As well as the cool Vintage Hollywood Posters that will go up for auction on Sunday,” says Phil Lawrence, Co-Founder and Sales Director.
The event will feature items from THE GODFATHER, TRANSFORMERS, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, CITIZEN KANE, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, FANTASIA, PLANET OF THE APES, STAR WARS and more! There will be a preview from 9-11am PT with the live auction beginning at 11am PT.
- THE GODFATHER – Horse Head – You can’t refuse this one! This is the rehearsal prop that Don Corleone (Marlon Brando) uses to force studio head Jack Woltz (John Marley) to put his friend, singer Johnny Fontane (Al Martino) in his next major movie. **please note that for the actual scene in the film, they used a real horse’s head.
TRANSFORMERS – Bumblebee Head – one of the (massive) full size Bumblebee Heads used in the film
- E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL – Miniature Bike Wheels – from the most iconic image in sci-fi history, the flying of the boys on his BMX Dirt Bike across the moon over the forest at the end of the film.
CITIZEN KANE – Shipping Crate – widely considered one of the greatest films of all-time, a rare crate prop that was used in the Kane’s warehouse scene with “CHARLES FOSTER KANE – XANADU FLORIDA” stenciled on it.
- THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
- Jack’s Sled – this is the sled that was used when Santa Jack is shot down out of the sky by artillery shells. It includes the “horror gifts” storage trashcan caboose that was lashed to the back of the sled.
- Mayor’s Megaphone – used throughout the film by “The Mayor” of Halloween town.
- PLANET OF THE APES – Female Monkey Tunic – from the original classic (1968) a tunic worn by one of the rare female monkeys.STAR WARS – Lightsabre Effect Filters – from the personal collection of special effects wizard Kim Knowlton, these are the actual green Kodak Wratten filters Knowlton used to create the three-layered famous effects to create the lightsabre.
- BATTLESTAR GALACTICA – Viper Helmet – from the original 1978 hit television series, a hero screen used helmet with the infamous light border around the faceplate, which still lights up.
- KIM NOVAK – 1989 Academy Awards Gown – Novak and Jimmy Stewart were reunited as presenters (they co-starred in VERTIGO and BELL BOOK AND CANDLE in 1958) and Novak stunned in a gold and black gown.
“With the holidays almost upon us, this auction offers movie and television fans a chance to treat themselves to an early holiday present,” said Dan Levin, Vice President of Premiere Props. “Memorabilia makes a terrific gift, as it is something that will be treasured for years to come.”
Fans can start bidding now by placing bids online at http://www.icollector.com and http://www.liveauctioneers.com or calling to set up phone bidding with a Premiere Props representative. Collectors can place proxy bids until the Hollywood Extravaganza Auction goes LIVE at 11am PT on Saturday, November 23. For more information, please visit http://www.premiereprops.com or http://www.hollywoodliveauctions.com or call (310) 322-PROP / (888) 761-PROP.
Celebrating the 5th anniversary with a weekend full of special guests and exhibitors, and engaging panels, Long Beach Comic & Horror Con will be open on Saturday, November 23 from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm, and from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Sunday, November 24 at the Long Beach Convention Center. Advanced ticket holders gain early admission, starting at 9:30 am each day. Tickets are available now at your local SoCal comic book shop or online.
See you in Long Beach!
On November 3-4, 2012, the 4th annual Long Beach Comic and Horror Con took place at the Long Beach Convention Center. In the 3 shows prior to this one, fans usually had a star studded line up or Halloween to coincide with the show. However, with the show taking place the weekend after Halloween, and with the guest list nearly identical to last year sans two of its biggest stars in David Finch and Brandon Peterson, this year’s show lacked the flair of the previous 3. In spite of this, the attendees of the show did have a good time, with a lot of families showing up to partake in the festivities, as well a lot of cosplayers recycling their Halloween costumes. While it may not have been as strong as in years past, I’m confident the show will rebound next year, and will finish the comic convention season strong. But for now, here was my view of this year’s show.
And now, onto the cosplayers: