EJ Barnes, Kevin Church, Tim Finn, Erica Henderson, John Hilliard, Greg Moutafis, Liz Prince, Joe Quinones, and Maris Wicks appear at Comicazi to showcase Somerville’s talented artists and writers creating comics! Come meet them, buy books, and learn about amazing the comics scene happening right here in our town. It’s happening Saturday July 21 from 1-5 pm and it is absolutely free, so come support your local creators!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo has released the schedule for this weekend’s show!
Workshops & Artist Demos
- 12pm – Foldy Comics! – Jerel Dye presents an innovative way of making a your own comic book from a single sheet of paper. This is a kid-friendly workshop or for anyone just getting started in the comic craft.
- 1pm – Watercolor Demonstration with Ellen Crenshaw
- 2pm – Comic Lettering and Inking with David Marshall
- 3:15pm – Creating Digital Comics – Walkthrough the software and techniques with webcomic artist Andy Wong.
- 4:30pm – Coloring Comics with Braden Lamb
Comics & …! is a day-long program of panel discussions exploring diverse topics in independent comics. Each panel will take place in University Hall’s Amphitheater, 2nd Floor.
COMICS & TEACHING: Beyond Maus and Persepolis
11:00 AM - Comics such as Spiegelman’s Maus and Satrapi’s Persepolis have found a solid foothold as legitimate classroom texts. However, there are many other noteworthy graphic novels that could also find their way into the K-16 curriculum. This panel will explore specific strategies for teaching comics and teaching with comics, looking past the “canonical” texts noted above.
MODERATOR: David Marshall PANELISTS: Michael Gianfrancesco, Director, New England Comic Arts in the Classroom; Educator, North Providence High School; Maureen Bakis, author The Graphic Novel Classroom; Alexander Danner, instructor, Emerson College Graphic Novel Program; Robert Shreefter, Professor, Lesley University.
COMICS & CHILDREN’S LITERATURE: Smart Comics For Kids
12:15 PM – This panel of writers, artists, and reviewers will discuss today’s comics storytelling for kids, the challenges of appealing to different age groups, and the changing roles of such “gatekeepers” as librarians, comic shops, publishers, parents, and digital portals.
MODERATOR: J. L. Bell, Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators PANELISTS: Robin Brenner, creator of noflyingnotights.com, Jef Czekaj, author-illustrator. Gareth Hinds, author-illustrator, Shelli Paroline, artist, Colleen AF Venable, scripter and designer
COMICS & SOCIAL JUSTICE: Cartoons with a Cause
1:30 PM – Our panelists discuss ways in which the comics medium can be valuable in political discourse, and how independent comics can be an important focus of community activism as well as provide voices for — and representations of — minorities and other marginalized groups.
MODERATOR: Che Salazar PANELISTS: Rebecca Migdal, World War Three Illustrated; Colin Tedford, Trees & Hills Comics Group; Tak Toyoshima, creator Secret Asian Man; Anna Mudd, Harvard Center for Middle Eastern Studies
COMICS & FASHION : Project: Rooftop
2:45 PM – Since 2006 the Project : Rooftop website has examined the trend of independent illustrators redesigning superhero costumes, and now the discussion goes live at MICE! This panel will focus on a few comic book characters, looking at how they’ve been visually interpreted over the years by professionals and fans alike.
MODERATOR: Braden Lamb PANELISTS: Joe Quinones (Wednesday Comics, Amazing Spider-Man), Ming Doyle (Tantalize, The Loneliest Astronauts), and Jennifer Ngan (Instructor, Art Institute of Boston).
COMICS & COLLABORATION: Teamwork 101
4:00 PM – Many of the best comics and graphic novels are created through collaboration between a writer and artist. This panel will present several experienced teams of artists and writers, to share their insights on the pleasures and pitfalls of creative teamwork. How are comics partnerships formed and successfully maintained to produce the optimum results? What surprises have writers and artists encountered in the process of collaboration? What should less experienced creators seeking collaborators look for or be wary of?
MODERATOR: Alexander Danner PANELISTS: TBA
COMICS & TECHNOLOGY: Digital Comics
5:15 PM – Digital creation and distribution of comics are here to stay and will only get more important to the future of the medium. What are the best platforms – currently, or on the horizon — for the production and delivery of digital comics? How can artists and writers adapt themselves to new devices and software, and what improvements can be anticipated? What are the implications of these new technologies for the artist’s work and income?
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo, a show dedicated to independent, alternative, small-press and self-published comics, webcomics and ‘zines, returns for its second year September 24th, 2011 from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm! This year’s expo has been relocated to University Hall at Lesley University (Porter Campus: 1815 Massachusetts Avenue,Cambridge, MA) conveniently next to the Porter Square station. MICE welcomes independent comics artists, writers, publishers, distributors and dealers who serve the independent community; avid fans, casual readers, and those curious about the New England independent comics scene. Presented by The Boston Comics Roundtable and The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University.
2011 Exhibitors include:
- Donna Almendrala – http://donnaalmendrala.name/
- Art Institute of Boston – http://www.lesley.edu/aib/
- Awakening Comics – http://awakeningcomics.webs.com/
- E. J. Barnes – http://ejbarnes.com/
- Cara Bean – http://badgigi.com/
- Eric Boeker – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/eboeker/
- Garry-Paul Bonesteel – http://killerinkcomics.com/
- Boston Comics Roundtable – http://www.bostoncomicsroundtable.com/
- Boy Blue & Co. – http://www.underthehaystack.net/
- Box Brown – http://www.boxbrown.com
- Heather Bryant – www.heatherbryant.com
- Robyn Chapman – http://www.un-pop.com/
- Kevin Church – http://www.beaucoupkevin.com/blog/
- Barry Corbett & Brian Codagnone – http://www.corbettfeatures.com/
- Joshua Dahl – http://joshdahl.livejournal.com/
- Dandelion Studios – http://www.dandelionstudios.com/
- Alexander Danner – http://www.picturestorytheater.com/
- Ben Doane – http://thejamjarastronaut.blogspot.com/
- Allan Dorison – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/gascomic
- Ming Doyle – http://www.mingdoyle.com/
- Jerel Dye – http://jereldye.com/
- Marissa Falco – http://miss-sequential.blogspot.com/
- FatCat Funnies – http://fatcatfunnies.com/
- Bob Flynn – http://jinxthemonkey.com/
- Claire Folkman – http://clairefolkman.blogspot.com/
- Joel Christian Gill – http://www.joelchristiangill.com/
- Lawrence Gillette – http://mofragcomics.tumblr.com/
- Melanie Gillman – http://contriveathon.livejournal.com/
- Graphic Artists Guild – http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/
- Erica Henderson – http://failatlife.blogspot.com/
- Erik Heumiller – http://www.helmsmanpress.com/
- Gareth Hinds – http://www.thecomic.com/
- Patt Kelley – http://www.pattkelley.com/
- Nathan Kitler – http://nathankitler.blogspot.com/
- Braden Lamb – http://www.bradenlamb.com/
- Leann Leake – http://laughing-anima.livejournal.com/
- Cathy Leamy – http://www.metrokitty.com/
- Ron LeBrasseur – http://home.earthlink.net/~ronlebrasseur/
- Jesse Lonergan – http://jesselonergan.blogspot.com/
- Dave Mahan – http://davemahanart.blogspot.com/
- Maineland Studios – http://www.mainelandstudios.com/
- Clay McCormack – http://www.eatdeadmeat.com/
- Rebecca Migdal – http://www.rlmigdal.com/
- Lindsay Moore – http://boxybrown.etsy.com/
- Dan Moynihan – http://www.danmoynihan.com/
- New England Comics Arts in the Classroom – http://www.necac.net/
- Adrienne Nunez – http://www.adriennenunez.net/
- Line O – http://outoflinecomics.blogspot.com/
- George O’Connor – http://www.homelesscomics.com/
- Tom Pappalardo – http://blog.tompappalardo.com/
- Shelli Paroline – http://http://shelliparoline.com/
- Joey Peters – http://tacolicious.net/
- Kelly Phillips – http://www.kellyphillips.net/
- Morgan Pielli – http://www.morganpielli.com/
- Chris Pittas – http://www.tipscomix.com/
- Ansis Purins – http://www.ansis.tv
- Joe Quinones – http://joequinones.blogspot.com/
- Michael Rapa – http://michaelrapa.com
- ROHO – http://riverbirdstudios.blogspot.com/
- Aya Rothwell – http://www.ayarothwell.com/
- Bill Roundy – http://billroundy.com/
- Che Salazar – http://production3c.com/
- Steve Seck – http://www.secktacular.com/
- Matt Smith – http://www.matt-illustrations.com/
- Charles Schneeflock Snow – http://www.sordidcityblues.com/
- Susan and Everett Soares – www.skypiratesofvalendor.com/
- Karl Stevens – http://www.karlstevensart.com/
- Kristilyn Stevenson – http://zombie-romance.com/
- Rio Aubry Taylor – http://lightriot.com/
- Three J Productions, LLC – http://www.threejproductions.com/
- Dirk Tiede Cartoons & Illustration – http://www.dirktiede.com/
- Elenore Toczynski – http://ghostlytoast.blogspot.com/
- The Topato Corporation – http://topatoco.com/
- Trees and Hills – http://www.treesandhills.org/
- Jen Vaughn – http://www.mermaidhostel.com/
- Jason Viola – http://www.manateepower.com/
- Bill Volk – http://billvolk.com/
- Weekly Dig – http://digboston.com/
- Maris Wicks – http://dotsforeyes.blogspot.com/
- Andy Wong – http://www.alacritystudios.com/
- Ken Wong – http://mysite.verizon.net/vzey5cnm/
- Jennie Wood – http://www.nayslayer.com/
- Yeah Dude Comics – http://www.patmakesdrawings.com/
Ming Doyle and Kevin Church (creators of The Loneliest Astronauts) return to sign at Comicopia on Saturday May 7, 2011 for Free Comic Book Day! Joining them is Cathy Leamy of Greenblooded and Geraniums and Bacon.
464 Commonwealth Ave #13, Boston, MA 02215-2734
Season’s Greetings and welcome to the 2nd annual COMICAZI Con!! What is COMICAZI Con, you’re asking? Why its only the most awesome event to hit Davis Square since the last time Comicazi had an event! We ARE humble. Thank you.
COMICAZI Con is a combination comic convention and craft fair. There will be comics retailers, local comics artists, Boston Comics Roundtable, and local artisans with their wares like jewelry and knit products. Lots of cool stuff!! Also, there will be food and coffee and ROCK BAND! Yep you can play Rock Band and maybe even win the game!
It will be an excellent opportunity to pick up gifts for lots of different friends and family on your lists and it will be great fun!!
There promises to be all sorts of fun on Saturday! Here’s just a few of the vendors waiting for you!
Boston Comics Roundtable – a fantastic sampling of local comics writers and artists!
Kevin Church and Ming Doyle – from Agreeable Comics and The Loneliest Astronauts fame!
Owen Linders – local artist
BandBCards – non-sport trading cards
Dirk Tiede – creator of Paradigm Shift
Larry’s Wonderful World Of Comics – he’s crazy!
Boston Independent Film Festival
Paul Conrad – local comics dealer with all kinds of good stuff!
Everett & Susan Soares – The Sky Pirates Of Valendor!
Karl Stevens – great local comics artist
Lindsay Moore – cool decoupage boxes!
Jenny Page – artist selling prints, drawings and ceramics
Ethan Gilsdorf – author of Fantasy Freaks And Gaming Geeks
Admission is $4 and there’s a FREE gift for all attendees!!
Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009
Time: 10:00am – 4:00pm
Location: George Dilboy VFW Post, 371 Summer Street, Somerville, MA