Awesome Con Announces Full Schedule of Events
Over 200 Hours of Diverse Panels, Talks, Screenings & Workshops Fill the Walter E. Washington Convention Center June 3-5
Washington DC (May 25, 2016) – Awesome Con, Washington DC’s Comic Con, is proud to announce its full lineup of programming, including talks from celebrity guests Peter Capaldi, Kevin Smith, John Barrowman, and the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; scientific lectures with engineers, experts, astronauts, and Bill Nye the Science Guy; family workshops covering arts, crafts, comics, and literacy; and interactive activities including Sci-Fi Speed Dating, costume contests, and tabletop gaming.
“I’m very excited by everything we’re showcasing this year,” shared Awesome Con founder Ben Penrod. “We’ve got over ten rooms running non-stop with panels and special events, covering everything from comics, video games, movies, and books, to anime, toys, and cosplay. No matter what makes you geek out, we’ve got it!”
Awesome Con takes place June 3-5 in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, with events running each day from morning to night. For Awesome Con’s full schedule, please visit awesome-con.com/schedule and see below for select highlights.
Celebrity & Comic Guests
Learn what makes Awesome Con’s biggest guests tick with talks from the stars behind fan-favorite TV shows, movies, and comic books.
- Peter Capaldi (2:30 PM – June 5 – Hall D) The current Doctor in Doctor Who comes to Awesome Con all the way from the UK to talk about his role in the iconic series.
- John Barrowman (3 PM – June 4 – Hall D) Whether he’s in BBC’s Torchwood, CW’s Arrow, or the British stage, Barrowman is a showstopper. Find out why at Awesome Con.
- Adam West & Burt Ward (1:15 PM – June 4 – Hall D) The stars of 1966’s Batman series speak about their careers and the classic series’ lengthy legacy.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (12:30 PM – June 4 – Room 146) Brett Dalton and Elizabeth Henstridge talk about their hit series, just after the shocking season finale.
- Karl Urban (5 PM – June 4 – Room 146) Urban plays McCoy in the upcoming Star Trek Beyond and was recently cast in Thor: Ragnarok. Learn what’s next for this rising star.
- Tom King (12:30 PM – June 5 – Room 152) Following a career in the CIA, King started penning comics – and is now writing Batman. Hear about his unique career firsthand.
- Paranormal Lockdown (1:30 PM – June 4 – Room 145B) Paranormal all-star Nick Groff and ghost hunter Katrina Weidman discuss their hit Destination America series.
- A Haunting (4 PM – June 4 – Room 145B) Tony Call goes behind the scenes of this Destination America series, shot entirely in DC, Virginia, and Maryland.
Stay up late at Awesome Con with two extra special evening events, and grab premium tickets including autographs with their stars.
- Kevin Smith (7 PM – June 3 – Hall D) The prolific, actor, comedian, comic writer, author, and podcaster comes to DC for an evening of candid stories and laughs.
- Eugene Mirman (8 PM – June 4 – Room 152) Brooklyn comedian and the voice of Gene in Bob’s Burgers, Eugene Mirman brings his unique comedy show to Awesome Con.
Awesome Con’s Science Fair presented by Science Channel features three days of lectures, workshops, and discussions with scientists from Science Channel, NASA, the Smithsonian, and more.
- StarTalk Live! (12 PM – June 5 – Hall D) Bill Nye and Eugene Mirman co-host StarTalk Live!, a talk show blending science and comedy with acclaimed special guests.
- Exoplanets: Stranger than Fiction (5 PM – June 3 – Room 145A) A panel of NASA scientists discuss planets depicted in science fiction and how our knowledge of planets in our solar system – and beyond – present a picture stranger than fiction.
- 3D Bioprinting: Moving Beyond Cyborgs (12:30 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) In this panel, organized by NationOfMakers.org, engineers explain the cutting-edge research that may someday replace mechanical implants with engineered human tissue.
- Mars: Past, Present, and Future (7 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) Scientists talk about searching the Martian surface for clues about the possibility of life and how astronauts might someday explore the Mars on foot.
- Outrageous Acts of Science (1:45 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) Join Science Channel as they celebrate their hit series Outrageous Acts of Science with some of the greatest (and most hilarious) scientific minds.
Check out the Kids Zone on the Awesome Con show floor, filled with events and activities for little ones. Admission for kids under 10 is free.
- Say Yes To Capes (6 PM – June 3 – Kids Zone) Personalize your own cape and mask and wear it around the con.
- Scribble Scramble (3 PM – June 4 – Kids Zone) Kids and artists compete in a series of rapid fire drawing challenges.
- Make Your Own Superhero Symbol (4 PM – June 4 – Kids Zone) Artist Carolyn Belefski helps kids create their own superhero symbols unique to their interests.
- Making Mini-Comics (3 PM – June 5 – Kids Zone) Comic creator Laura Lee Gulledge helps kids write and draw their very own comic books.
Interactive & Nerdy
Beyond talks from celebrities and scientists, Awesome Con offers a wealth of interactive entertainment connecting fans with fellow fans.
- Sci-Fi Speed Dating (Multiple Times – June 3-5 – Room 140) Looking for that special someone to spend New Comic Book Day with? Grab a spot at Sci-Fi Speed Dating.
- The Backlot (All Day – June 3-5 – Exhibit Hall) Hold Captain America’s actual shield, snap a photo with a reproduction Batmobile, and check out larger than life props.
- Tabletop Gaming (All Day – June 3-5 – Salons A-C) From Magic: The Gathering to Cards Against Humanity, play non-stop in the Foam Brain Games Tabletop Room.
- Artemis Bridge (All Day – June 3-5 – Salon F) Ever fancied yourself a Starfleet commander? Live the dream in the live-action starship roleplaying experience.
- Costume Contests (Multiple Times – June 4-5 – Hall D) Awesome Con offers attendees two chances to strut their stuff on stage, with prizes from Cosplay by McCall’s, Capture Me in 3D, Funimation, HERO HAIR: Cosplay Wigs for the Serious Adventurer, and Kotobukiya.
About Awesome Con
Awesome Con is the biggest annual comic and pop culture convention in Washington DC and welcomed over 40,000 attendees in 2015. Awesome Con celebrates all aspects of geekdom and pop culture, with a wide assortment of engaging events, comic books, collectibles, toys, games, original art, cosplay, and more. 2016 marks Awesome Con’s first year in partnership with LeftField Media, an event organizer developed by the founder of New York Comic Con.
Boston Comic Con is excited to announce that KARL URBAN, star of Star Trek, Dredd and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will join us this summer at Boston Comic Con on August 13th and 14th!
Karl Urban is a New Zealand born actor with prolific credits in the comic book, science fiction, and fantasy film genres. He is best known for his roles as Eomer of the Riders of Rohan in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of The Rings, the lead role of lawman Judge Dredd in the 2012 reboot Dredd, Agent Cooper in the film adaptation of Warren Ellis’ comic book limited series, RED. In addition to his film roles Karl has been seen on television as both Cupid and Julius Caesar on cult classic Xena: Warrior Princess, Woodrow F. Call in the western miniseries Comanche Moon, and in the lead role of John Kennex on the sci-fi series Almost Human. Marvel just announced he will appear in Thor: Ragnarok as the villainous Skurge the Executioner!
Most recently Karl plays Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy in the new Star Trek film series, a role he actively pursued as a Star Trek fan and has been embraced by fans as faithful to DeForrest Kelley’s original performance. This summer Karl will be seen as Dr. McCoy in Star Trek Beyond releasing on July 22, 2016 and will be featured in the upcoming Pete’s Dragon remake.
Details on signing times and Photo Ops will be released closer to the convention.
Previously announced guest include comic creators Greg Capullo, Jae Lee, Erik Larsen, Terry Dodson, Mike Allred, Arthur Adams, Amanda Conner, Jim Cheung, Jimmy Palmiotti, Phil Jimenez and many more! Media guests include William Shatner (Star Trek), Karen Gillan (Guardians of the Galaxy), and Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who). Check the website for full details on exciting events!
About Boston Comic Con:
The Boston Comic Con is a 100% independently run comic book show committed to bringing the biggest and best comic creators to New England. Run by fans for fans, Boston Comic Con is not affiliated with any other convention tour or corporate interests. Hosting over 120,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia, this is a destination event for geeks of any stripe. This year’s convention will be held Friday August 12th, Saturday August 13th, and Sunday August 14th at the Seaport World Trade Center, 200 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210. For more information please go to our website at www.bostoncomiccon.com and follow us on Twitter (@BostonComicCon) and Facebook!
WWE’s The Wyatt Family and Stars from The Walking Dead to Appear at Wizard World Ohio Comic Con 2014
WWE® Superstars The Wyatt Family™, Sean Astin, Giancarlo Esposito, ‘The Walking Dead’ Stars Alanna Masterson, Andrew J. West, Jon Bernthal, Top Comics Creators At Pop Culture Festival At Greater Columbus Convention Center.
COLUMBUS, Ohio, August 28, 2014 – Steven Yeun, Norman Reedus, Emily Kinney, Alanna Masterson, Andrew J. West and Jon Bernthal of “The Walking Dead,” Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy), Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street) and WWE® Superstars The Wyatt Family™ are among the celebrities scheduled to attend Wizard World Ohio Comic Con, October 31-November 2 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. It is the 14th of 16 events scheduled in the 2014 series produced by Wizard World, Inc. (OTCBB: WIZD) and will also feature a top-drawer collection of well-known comics artists and writers and a variety of activities, exhibitors and special attractions.
Yeun, Reedus, Kinney, Masterson, West, Urban and Englund will appear on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 1-2; the WWE stars (Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, Luke Harper) will attend on Saturday only; Bernthal is scheduled for all three days.
Other notables scheduled include Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Rudy), Giancarlo Esposito (“Once Upon a Time,” “Breaking Bad”), the “Charmed” trio of Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs and Brian Krause, Manu Bennett (The Hobbit; An Unexpected Journey, “Arrow”), Eric Roberts (“Doctor Who,” The Dark Knight), Jason David Frank (“Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers”), Josh Gates (“Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter”), Verne Troyer (Austin Powers, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) and Steve Gonsalves (“Ghost Hunters”).
Superstar comics creators scheduled to attend include Patrick and Shelly Block (“Donald Duck,” “Uncle Scrooge”), Michael Golden (“Hulk,” “Star Wars”), Kevin Maguire (“Justice League,” “Batman Confidential”), James O’Barr (“The Crow”), Barry Kitson (“Thor,” “Spider-Man”), Joanna Estep (“The Fantastic Four,” “Bravest Warriors”), Renee Witterstaetter (“She Hulk,” “Avengers”) and Rob Prior (“Heavy Metal,” “Spawn the Impaler”).
Wizard World Comic Con events bring together thousands of fans of all ages to celebrate the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, graphic novels, cosplay, comics, toys, video gaming, television, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more. Wizard World Ohio Comic Con show hours are Friday, Oct. 31, 3-8 p.m.; Saturday, Nov. 1, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 2, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
A first-class lineup of topical programming takes place all three days at the event, with celebrity Q&A’s, the Wizard World Film Festival, comics-themed sessions, costume contest, movie screenings, evening parties and more. Sunday, Nov. 2, is also Kids Day, with an array of activities and programming specially designed for the younger Wizard World fans.
Ohio Comic Con is also the place for cosplay, with fans young and old showing off their best costumes throughout the event. Fans dressed as every imaginable character – and some never before dreamed – will roam the convention floor, often stopping by the Show Stage, the ideal place to see and be seen.
For more on the 2014 Wizard World Ohio Comic Con, visit http://wizd.me/OhioPR.
About Wizard World:
Wizard World (OTCBB: WIZD) produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate graphic novels, comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, technology, toys and social networking. The events often feature celebrities from movies and TV, artists and writers, and events such as premieres, gaming tournaments, panels, and costume contests.
The full event schedule can be found at http://www.wizd.me/PR.
Comments Off on FAN EXPO Vancouver™ 2014 Gathers Geeks and Superheroes
FAN EXPO VANCOUVER™ GATHERS GEEKS AND SUPERHEROES
Freddy Krueger to The Walking Dead alum added to the star-studded line-up
Vancouver, BC (March 19, 2014) – FAN EXPO Vancouver™ will mark its third year by delivering a fan-tastic Easter Break escape for geeks and superheroes of all ages. The celebration of comics, sci-fi, horror, anime, and gaming returns April 18-20, 2014 at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
In the wise words of Jedi Master Yoda “Do or do not, there is no try.” At FAN EXPO Vancouver™ fans can ‘do’ it all: Q&A’s with celebrities and industry pros, sketch duels, photos opportunities with the entire Star Wars 501st Legion crew, retail and exhibitor areas bursting with rare comics and collectibles to the latest nerd-wear and tech-gear, and gatherings of fellow minded superheroes in and out of disguise (Batman or Bunny costume optional).
“FAN EXPO is the perfect playground for pop culture fans of all ages and this year we made it bigger for Vancouver fans,” says FAN EXPO HQ President, Steve Menzie. “We added 50% more space and a third day so our fans can enjoy even more of the fandom they are so passionate about.”
FAN EXPO VANCOUVER™ GUESTS INCLUDE:
- KARL URBAN (Almost Human; Star Trek)
- STEVEN YEUN (The Walking Dead)
- BRUCE CAMPBELL (Army of Darkness; Evil Dead)
- ROBERT ENGLUND (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
- STEPHEN AMELL (Star of Arrow)
- ELIZA DUSHKU (Angel; Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Dollhouse)
- GIANCARLO ESPOSITO (Breaking Bad; Revolution)
- RAY PARK (G.I. Joe; Star Wars Episode I)
- CHARISMA CARPENTER (Angel; Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- JON HEDER (Napoleon Dynamite; Blades of Glory)
- MICHAEL ROSENBAUM (Smallville)
- BRUCE BOXLEITNER (Babylon 5; Tron)
- JOHN DE LANCIE (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
- MORENA BACCARIN (Serenity/Firefly; Homeland)
- TOM FELTON (Harry Potter)
- BILLY BOYD (Lord of the Rings)
For the complete list of guests, info and tickets, visit our website at http://jivecommunications.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2f3e3a68691554962f3e63fb8&id=d9ccc6a1d5&e=28ad5431a1
FAN EXPO Vancouver™ is a comics, sci-fi, horror, anime, and gaming event featuring exciting family-friendly activities. 2014 Celebrity Guests include Karl Urban (Star Trek), Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead), Bruce Campbell (Army of Darkness), Stephen Amell (Arrow), Robert Englund (Nightmare on Elm Street), and Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), and more! FAN EXPO Vancouver™ is now a three-day pop culture extravaganza April 18-20, 2014 at the Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, BC.
FAN EXPO HQ is the largest entertainment convention group in the country and one of the largest in the world. Collectively it hosts almost 250,000 fans annually at FAN EXPO Canada™, FAN EXPO Vancouver™, FAN EXPO Regina™; Toronto ComiCon, Dallas Comic Con, Dallas Sci-Fi Expo, and Dallas Fan Days presented by FAN EXPO.
Comments Off on 2014 Emerald City Comicon Cinema Series
Four nights! Four movies! 4 actors! Emerald City Comicon is proud to partner with the Seattle Cinerama for our 2014 ECCC Cinema Series: a showing of each film and a Q&A with one of our celebrity guests. Admission for each film is $25/person (an ECCC badge does not provide entry to this event.)
Thursday March 27 brings you a screening of the fan-favorite The Princess Bride movie with the Dread Pirate Roberts himself, Cary Elwes!
On the following evening, Friday March 28, it’s a showing of Serenity with Alan Tudyk (Wash)!
On Saturday March 29, Dredd comes to town with star Karl Urban, production designer Jock, and the writer of the official comic sequel, Arthur Wyatt!
And finally, The Terminator is back with star Michael Biehn (Kyle Reese)!
Doors open at 7:45PM, and the Q&As start at 8:30PM. Buy tickets at the link!
Poster art by Justin “Moritat” Norman.
2100 4th Ave Seattle, WA 98121
Stop by the Lionsgate Comic-Con booth at 11am today to meet Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey from #Dredd3D!
— LIONSGATE MOVIES (@lionsgatemovies) July 13, 2012
SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT TO PRESENT EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE OF ITS TWO HIGHLY ANTICIPATED ACTION FILMS OVER TWO DAYS DURING COMIC-CON 2010 IN SAN DIEGO
Studio will Showcase Cast and Filmmakers AND Debut Footage from its Upcoming Movies including RED and DRIVE ANGRY 3D
Los Angeles, CA July 7, 2010 – Summit Entertainment, which impacted Comic-Con for the past two years when it introduced thousands to THE TWLIGHT SAGA cast in San Diego, will be doing it again by bringing two of the most anticipated actions films, RED and DRIVE ANGRY 3D, to this year’s convention. Summit will provide a first ever look at exclusive footage as well as cast and filmmaker during panels on Thursday, July 22nd and Friday, July 23rd in Hall H.
Details of the panels are as follows:
Thursday, July 22, 2010 – 2:15pm – 3:15pm – Hall H:
RED – Stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban, and Mary Louise Parker join director Robert Schwentke and Red’s graphic novel writer Warren Ellis as they debut the final trailer exclusively to Comic-Con 2010, before it’s ever in theaters, and answer questions about bringing this well known D.C. Comics graphic novel to the big screen. Based on the graphic novel by Ellis, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren star in this explosive action-comedy in which former CIA top agents become the Agency’s top targets because of the secrets they know.
Friday, July 23, 2010 – 10:30am – 11:00am – Hall H:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D – In a Comic-Con exclusive, stars of the film including Nicolas Cage and Amber Heard as well as director Patrick Lussier will debut footage from the high-octane, blood-spattered road trip through hell. In this newest action horror shot in 3D, a vengeful father hunts down the people who brutally killed his daughter and kidnapped her baby.
In addition to the exciting panels, Summit Entertainment will once again have a booth set up in the Grand Hall at Comic-Con where the studio will showcase titles from its upcoming slate. Those who stop by will be able to answer a call at the Summit phone booth to speak live with Summit filmmakers and talent or customize a t-shirt at the live t-shirt press. In addition, the prize wheel never stops spinning with thousands of promotional giveaways and exclusive prizes to win throughout the convention!
About Summit Entertainment LLC
Summit Entertainment is a worldwide theatrical motion picture development, financing, production and distribution studio. The studio handles all aspects of marketing and distribution for both its own internally developed motion pictures as well as acquired pictures. Summit Entertainment, LLC also represents international sales for both its own slate and third party product. Summit Entertainment, LLC releases 10 to 12 films on average annually.