The Beguiling Books & Art is pleased to announce that it will once again be returning to The San Diego Comic-Con to sell a truly outstanding collection of illustrations and original comic book artwork on behalf of its represented artists. The Beguiling’s Peter Birkemoe will be on hand and exhibiting in a small corner of booth #1629, owned by venerable Canadian publisher Drawn & Quarterly, from Preview Night, Wednesday July 11th, through Sunday, July 15th.
The Beguiling represents original art by some of art comics’ greatest names at their online art store, including D&Q cartoonists Kevin Huizenga (Gloriana), Anders Nilsen (Big Questions), and Seth (Palookaville), and comics superstars Jeff Lemire (Essex County), Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba (Casanova), and Bryan Lee O’Malley (Scott Pilgrim). The Beguiling will have over 400 pieces of original art on hand by 26 different artists at San Diego this year. Previews of most pages available online now at http://www.
Highlights of this year’s mix of comics art and illustration include:
- The Beguiling proudly announces that it will begin selling original art work from creators Pascal Girard, Matt Kindt, and Shintaro Kago! Girard is the author of the recently released graphic novel The Reunion from Drawn & Quarterly, and pages from that work and other illustrations will be on hand. Matt Kindt is the author of the graphic novels Super Spy, The Tooth, and 3:Story. His current series is MIND MGMT, an ongoing comic from Dark Horse, and art will be on hand from these and other series’! Kago is a renowned Ero-guro manga artist in Japan, and his work includes truly unique formalist experiments (and some very disturbing imagery), and has been praised by sources as diverse as Scott McCloud and Vice Magazine.
- A selection of pages from recent Drawn & Quarterly graphic novel releases, including pages from Kevin Huizenga’s Gloriana HC and The Wild Kingdom HC, Brian Ralph’s Cave-In, and Anders Nilsen’s Eisner Award nominated graphic novel Big Questions.
- Dozens of new, never-before offered pages by artist Farel Dalrymple. Including new pages from Dalrymple’s work on the series’ Prophet, Fantastic Four, Omega The Unknown, Vice Magazine, and more! So new these aren’t even on our website yet!
- Dozens of new pages by Norwegian artist Jason, from across his many popular graphic novels.
- All of the “new-since-last-Comic-Con” artwork by artists Gabriel Ba, Jeffrey Brown, Sammy Harkham, Jeff Lemire, Kagan McLeod, Fabio Moon, Marco Rudy, Maurice Vellekoop, and Zach Worton. All of these fine cartoonists have provided The Beguiling with new artwork since exhibiting at Comic-Con 2011, from across their many projects. Highlights include Jeff Lemire’s Sweeth Tooth, and the complete artwork (!) for Maurice Vellekoop’s The World of Gloria Badcock.
- A selection of quality originals by Rafael Albuquerque, Becky Cloonan, Jordan Crane, David Heatley, Miriam Katin, Jason Lutes, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Paul Pope, Michel Rabagliati, Seth, Jay Stephens, and Chip Zdarsky. With over 5,000 pieces of original art represented by The Beguiling, a selection of the best and most interesting pieces by these creators will be available for sale in San Diego.
Hate paying for shipping? If you will be at the San Diego Comic-Con and are interested in purchasing a specific piece of art from our website, we will happily bring it to the show for you. If you’d like us to bring a specific piece from our website to take a look at, please contact us at mail at beguiling dot com. Unfortunately we are not “holding” art for people unless they have purchased it outright, but we will try to accommodate all requests.
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, The Beguiling is a book store and original art dealer in Toronto, Canada. We represent original art sales from over three dozen comics creators and illustrators from around the world. Almost all of the original art that The Beguiling represents is consigned by the artists, ensuring we are able to offer the widest possible selection of material and that the artists get the largest possible chunk of the proceeds. To see our collection of original art, visit us online at http://www.
Kagan McLeod signs at Vault of Midnight on Saturday, January 7th, 2012!
Vault of Midnight
219 S. Main Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Kagan McLeod signs on Friday September 2nd, 2011 at Revival Bar – Featuring Hop Fu!
Doors open at 8:30 – Presentations start at 9pm!
$5 or free admission with book purchase.
RSVP on Facebook!
Presented by The Beguilling, Top Shelf Books, and Revival Bar
THE LONG-AWAITED DEBUT! It’s the official book launch for Kagan McLeod’s INFINITE KUNG FU, a massive 464-page graphic novel by Kagan McLeod. Serialized in comics, serialized on the internet, with short stories in jams across the world, the whole story is now complete and ready for you to put in your hot little hands!
FEATURING HEADLINERS HOP FU – New York-based scratch champions DJ 1XL and DJ Excess perform as Hop Fu, providing a live remixed score to a screening of the Shaw Brothers classic kung fu film “Super Ninjas.” Must be seen to be believed!
CHIP ZDARSKY hosts the evening and interviews Kagan about the book!
KAGAN McLEOD signs copies for fans!
TBA DJS keep the evening lively and fun, dance if you wanna!
THE BEGUILING will be on hand selling books and prints
This will be the biggest book launch of 2011, don’t miss out!
8:30pm: Doors Open
9:00pm: Q&A with Kagan McLeod, followed by book signing
11:00pm: Hop Fu performance…!
783 College Street, Toronto, ON
Meet creators Connor McCreery, Anthony Del Col, Andy Belanger, and Kagan McLeod this Friday as they sign the brand-new first issue of their comic series KILL SHAKESPEARE, on the very anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth…! All 4 of these fine gents will be on hand to sign, sketch, and talk about the bard (and their new book), because the entire creative team hails from right here in Toronto! (Though it is published by the fine folks at IDW in California).
Here’s a little bit about the book:
“In this dark tale, the Bard’s most famous heroes embark upon a journey to discover a long-lost soul. Hamlet, Juliet, Othello, Falstaff, Romeo and Puck search for a reclusive wizard who may have the ability to assist them in their battle against the evil forces led by the villains Richard III, Lady Macbeth and Iago. That reclusive wizard? William Shakespeare.
“A combination of Fables, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Lord of the Rings, Kill Shakespeare offers a remixed re-envisioning of the greatest characters of all-time, featuring action, romance, comedy, lust, drama and bloody violence. It is an adventure of Shakespearean proportions.”
Come on our and support a neat project and some great folks!
KILL SHAKESPEARE #1: Book Signing
Friday, April 23rd, 5pm-7pm
@ The Beguiling, 601 Markham Street, Toronto, ON
RSVP on Facebook