Dark Horse Announces Exclusive Emerald City Comicon Variants!
MILWAUKIE, OR, MARCH 13—As the pop culture world gears up for Seattle’s Emerald City Comicon, Dark Horse announces not one, not two, not even three, but four variant covers for this year’s show!
The first few months of 2014 will see some of Dark Horse’s biggest launches of the year, and we have chosen to celebrate with Emerald City variants for Serenity #1, Buffy #1, Veil #1, and a very special variant of Witcher #1.
First up is Veil, the much-talked-about new, original series by Greg Rucka and Toni Fejzula. For this year’s show, Dark Horse has tapped J. H. Williams III to create the variant cover. Limited to 500 copies, Veil #1 is sure to go quickly, especially with writer Greg Rucka in attendance!
Next, we have the hotly anticipated Season 10 premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with a variant cover by Season 9 cover artist Phil Noto, limited to 1,000 copies. Look for interior artist Rebekah Isaacs at this year’s show!
Another one for Joss Whedon fans: Dark Horse brings Jenny Frison on for a special cover of Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1, featuring none other than the lovely Inara! A few lucky fans may even get actress Morena Baccarin herself to sign their copies!
Last, and certainly not least, legendary artist Stan Sakai has done a special cover of the upcoming tie-in series The Witcher, a canonical entry in the world of the Witcher video games, which have collectively won over 250 awards and sold more than 5.5 million copies worldwide! All proceeds from the sale of this limited edition variant will benefit Stan and Sharon Sakai. Stan will be attending the show, in celebration of the thirtieth anniversary of his landmark series, Usagi Yojimbo!
Each variant-cover issue will cost five dollars and will be limited to ten copies per person, per day! A set quantity will be available at the show opening each day.
Hope to see you at this year’s Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, WA, on March 28–30!
About Emerald City Comicon
With a record-breaking attendance of over 64,000 attendees in 2013, Emerald City Comicon has established itself as one of North America’s largest and most respected conventions of its kind anywhere in the world and has become the premier comic event in the Pacific Northwest. Founded in 2003, ECCC is highly regarded in both national and international circles as one of the most fan- and family-friendly shows in existence. More information about ECCC is available at: www.emeraldcitycomicon.com
About Dark Horse
Founded in 1986 by Mike Richardson, Dark Horse Comics has proven to be a solid example of how integrity and innovation can help broaden a unique storytelling medium and establish a small, homegrown company as an industry giant. The company is known for the progressive and creator-friendly atmosphere it provides for writers and artists. In addition to publishing comics from top talent such as Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, Brian Wood, Gerard Way, Geof Darrow, and Guillermo del Toro, and comics legends such as Will Eisner, Neal Adams, and Jim Steranko, Dark Horse has developed its own successful properties, including The Mask, Ghost, Timecop, and SpyBoy. Its successful line of comics and products based on popular properties includes Star Wars, Mass Effect, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aliens, Conan, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Halo, Serenity, The Legend of Zelda, Game of Thrones, and Domo. Today Dark Horse Comics is the largest independent comic book publisher in the US and is recognized as one of the world’s leading publishers of both creator-owned content and licensed comics material.
Comments Off on DC Entertainment Celebrates Superman’s 75th Anniversary and More at SDCC 2013
DC ENTERTAINMENT UNLEASHES IMPRESSIVE SLATE OF STELLAR EVENTS AT COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO 2013
Superman 75th Anniversary Celebration of World’s Greatest Super Hero Continues
Neil Gaiman Awakens THE SANDMAN For All-New Series
Journey To The Dark Side As Villains Take Over DC COMICS – THE NEW 52
DC Entertainment, home to the World’s Greatest Super Heroes and the most talented writers and artists in the business, announced today it will storm Comic-Con International: San Diego 2013 with an impressive line-up of events, announcements and giveaways that promise to amaze fans and continue to cement its position as a leader in the comic book industry.
The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DC Entertainment will conquer Comic-Con with a selection of can’t-miss events. Fans can look forward to an unprecedented celebration of the greatest and most iconic hero in history, Superman – including a look at the best-selling new series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED and the return of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed Vertigo series with THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, featuring the breathtaking artwork of J.H. Williams III. But the San Diego fireworks don’t end there, as DC Entertainment will be giving fans a sneak peek at the dark future within DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 and unveiling the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA car featuring custom artwork from DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign, and more.
DC Entertainment’s interactive 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will take flight this year with a staggering collection of Superman costumes highlighting the Super Hero’s various eras and donned by actors including Henry Cavill, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Tom Welling. The costume gallery anchors a booth that also boasts video game demos, creator signings, a special fan green-screen photo area, giveaways and exclusive video footage.
Plus, with a schedule packed with over 15 panels, DC Entertainment is set to deliver to fans a stellar collection of appearances, announcements and events.
- All hail the world’s first Super Hero as Superman celebrates 75 years! DC Entertainment will join its partners across Warner Bros. Entertainment to salute the most revered and influential comic book character of all time with a slew of must-see events in celebration of both the Man of Steel’s history – including a special Superman 75 panel featuring an all-star roster of guests, including Jack Larson (the original Jimmy Olsen from Adventures of Superman), first-time Comic-Con panelist Tim Daly (Superman: The Animated Series) and reigning animated Supergirl Molly Quinn (Castle) to comics luminaries Paul Levitz, Grant Morrison and Dan Jurgens plus talent from the current blockbuster, “Man of Steel,” and a first look at the animated short chronicling the character’s rich history, produced by “Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder – plus more information on the powerhouse comic book series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED from acclaimed artist Jim Lee and writer Scott Snyder.
- Be there as the legendary Neil Gaiman offers fans a first look at his return to the comic book series that launched his career with Vertigo’s THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE. Brought to life by renowned artist J.H. Williams III, the new 6-issue miniseries set for release on October 30, will also be the subject of an all-star panel featuring Gaiman, Williams and artists Dave McKean and Sam Kieth.
- Dive into Vertigo’s upcoming slate of genre-defying titles – including the dark fantasy COFFIN HILL, the epic adventure HINTERKIND, the post-apocalyptic SUICIDERS, THE SANDMAN spin-off THE DEAD BOY DETECTIVES, and the erotic thriller THE DISCIPLINE, along with the return of the fan-favorite series from Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque, AMERICAN VAMPIRE.
- Terror takes over when Villains Month hits in September. Get an inside look at the shocking events facing our heroes as the first DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 universe-wide event is unleashed. The event, spearheaded by the 7-issue FOREVER EVIL series by superstar writer Geoff Johns with art by the incredibly talented David Finch will also feature 52 jaw-dropping villain-centric titles boasting 3-D Motion covers. Fans will also be able to delve into the structure of this summer’s Justice League event Trinity War with a whiteboard animation video narrated by Johns, which will be showcased at the DC Entertainment booth. Plus, fans can get an early look at “Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics,” an all-new documentary to be teased along with a panel headed by Johns, Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken), Andrea Romano (Batman: The Animated Series) and Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights).
- Don’t miss DC Entertainment’s display of seven Justice League-inspired KIA cars (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg) featuring custom automobile detailing and artwork by legendary artist Jim Lee at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park, Official Comic-Con Partner. Comic-Con will mark the unveiling of the centerpiece to the collection – the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA – to be auctioned off to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign to help fight the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa.
- DC Entertainment, firmly established as the industry leader in digital comics, will debut its first-ever panel dedicated to the space – slated to reveal new art, innovations and an all-star cast behind some of DC Comics Digital’s most popular releases including BATMAN ’66, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM, and BATMAN BEYOND!
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide offering of exclusive items only available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series JUSTICE LEAGUE, BATMAN, SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, and BATMAN ’66, along with five new DC Collectibles items like the Aardman: Superman Action Figure, a three-pack of Super Best Friends Forever Action Figures, Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange, a “Man of Steel” 1:6 scale Icon Statue black costume variant and DC Comics’ Super Heroes of Green Lantern four-pack.
- Superman gets an altogether different take in the fractured alternate universe of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the highly anticipated DC Universe Animated Original Movie to premiere Friday at Comic-Con.
- Get an inside look at INSIDE MAD, the hugely anticipated forthcoming collection from “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine and get a dose of the magazine’s wit and snark at the annual MAD panel – orchestrated by Editor John Ficarra and a side-splitting cast of characters.
– See more at: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/07/02/dc-entertainment-unleashes-impressive-slate-of-stellar-events-at-comic-con#sthash.WzD2hyiR.dpuf
Comments Off on SDCC 2013 Adds 13 More Including Wendy and Richard Pini, J.H. Williams, Etc.
13 More Guests Added to the Comic-Con Line-up!
Comic-Con 2013 is less than three short months away, and 13 more great special guests have been added to the already-stellar line-up! Part of this group highlights some of our anniversary celebrations, including the 35th anniversary of Elfquest, the 25th anniversary of Sandman, and the 20th anniversary of Milestone Media.
You can’t celebrate any anniversary of Elfquest without, or course,Wendy and Richard Pini. One of the first self-publishers, the Pinis began their epic tale in 1978, it and quickly grew in popularity, spawning numerous collections, prose novels, and an ongoing and vibrant fan community. Wendy is also known for her work on a series of Beauty and the Beast graphic novels (based on the original TV series starring Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton). More recently, Wendy completed a reimagining of Edgar Allan Poe’s Masque of the Red Death.
Neil Gaiman’s Sandman celebrates its 25th anniversary this year with a new series and an appearance by Gaiman at Comic-Con. Award-winning artist J.H. Williams III is the artist on that new series. Famous for his recent run onBatwoman (and nominated once again, as Best Cover Artist in this year’s Eisner Awards), Williams is also known forPromethea and Chase. And speaking of covers, artist/filmmaker Dave McKean comes to Comic-Con to help celebrate Dream’s 25th. McKean’s evocative covers were an important part of Sandman’s success and his art graced each issue of the original series. Artist Sam Kieth, who illustrated the first five issues of Sandman when it debuted in 1988, is also known for his work on his own creations, The Maxx and Zero Girl, plus a run of memorable Batman tales at DC. (Sam Kieth’s appearance is co-sponsored by IDW Publishing.)
The 20th anniversary of Milestone Media is another of our celebrations this year, and co-founders Denys Cowan (The Question, Batman, Hardware), Derek T. Dingle, and Michael Davis join previously announced guest Charlotte Fullerton (the widow of Milestone co-founder Dwayne McDuffie) as special guests. Milestone focused on minorities in comics—as both creators and characters—forging a fan-favorite universe. One of their titles, Static Shock, went on to become an animated hit on television.
Other added special guests include:
Ellen Forney, the Eisner Award-nominated (for Best Reality-Based Work) writer/artist of Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo & Me. Forney’s other work includes I Love Led Zeppelin and Monkey Food.
Russ Heath, the legendary artist best known for his work on war titles for DC Comics, such as The Haunted Tank. Heath also did the memorable 1960s series Sea Devils. He is a member of the Will Eisner Hall of Fame.
Georges Jeanty, the artist behind the popular Dark Horse series Joss Whedon’s Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Jeanty has drawn both Season 8 and Season 9 of the award-winning, New York Times bestselling series.
Rep. John Lewis from Georgia’s 5th District, who comes to Comic-Con with his new graphic novel, MARCH, co-written by Andrew Advin and drawn by Nate Powell. The book chronicles his years in the Civil Rights movement. (Rep. Lewis’s appearance is courtesy Top Shelf Productions.)
Fred Perry, the writer/artist behind the popular Gold Digger series published by Antarctic Press. Perry has produced over 5,000 pages in 22 years since the series began, with a consecutive run of over 200 issues of his American manga series.
For a complete list of special guests appearing at Comic-Con International 2013, please click here.
J.H. Williams III & Haden Blackman sign at Blue Moon Comics on Saturday December 11 from 1-4 pm.
J.H. Williams has been one of the foremost comics illustrators of the last 20 years. Whether its reinventing how we see the universe with Alan Moore in the instant classic Promethea, or redefining our visuals about the Batman Family in Dectective Comics: Batwoman, here is your chance to meet the man in person!
Haden Blackman, Writer, has written great stories in many mediums! Working at LucasArts he wrote/produced Star Wars Galaxies & Force Unleashed among others. He’s also written multiple Star Wars comics and Grapic Novels and is Co-President/Founder of Fearless Studios. Haden turns his considerable skills now to Batwoman with Williams to rock Gotham in amazing new ways!
New copies of Batwoman #0 will be available to sign, a limited number of sketches can be bought, and of course there will be original art for sale! Don’t miss your chance to meet two guys making what are sure to be legendary comics!
Blue Moon Comics
1555 South Novato Blvd, Novato, CA 94947