Writer Grant Morrison appears at Meltdown Comics on Wednesday, November 4th, from 7:00 till 9:00 PM!
Come meet, greet and get stuff signed by THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND, THE ONE AND ONLY, GRANT MORRISON. Grant will be launching his creator owned series KLAUS, Wednesday, November 4th, 7:00 PM at Meltdown Comics.
Grant Morrison is one of the most prolific and best-selling writers in comics, earning a reputation for his ability to effectively revamp superheroes like Animal Man, Batman, and the X-Men. His creator-owned titles are also highly praised, including The Invisibles, Nameless, We3, and Joe the Barbarian, because no one tells mythical stories better than him. In Klaus, Grant reimagines one of the biggest cultural myths in history, and we could not be more excited to pair him with one of our homegrown talents, Dan Mora (Hexed)!
ABOUT KLAUS: Set in a dark fantastic past of myth and magic, Klaus tells the story of how Santa Claus really came to be. Where did he begin? What was he like when he was young? Why does he do what he does? How does he do what he does? And what happens when he faces his greatest challenge? Drawing on Santa Claus’ wilder roots in Viking lore and Siberian shamanism – taking in the creepier side of Christmas, and characters like the sinister Krampus – Klaus is a “Santa Claus: Year One.”
7522 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
DC Entertainment Takes Center Stage at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2015
Something for Everyone: Top Industry Talent Showcases DC Comics’ Newly-Expanded Line
Vertigo and MAD Magazine to Make Big News at the Con
Special edition, exclusive variant comic books available only to fans at SDCC!
DC Entertainment (DCE), one of the world’s largest English language comic book publishers, will roll out the red carpet for its fans at Comic-Con International: San Diego. An impressive 19 panels will put the spotlight squarely on DC Comics’ broad range of titles and tonalities, Vertigo’s creator-driven, genre storytelling, and MAD’s comedic take on all things pop culture. Additionally, fans attending the show can purchase DCE’s highly-collectible, exclusive variant comic books.
Fans will get to hear directly from the best comic talent in the industry at a slate of panels over the four-day pop culture celebration. DCE panels include:
- From iconic characters to emerging heroes, the expansive DC Universe allows for a wide range of tonalities and a rich universe of stories, enabling readers of all ages and interests to find their favorite series. Meet the top talent behind some of the most celebrated series including SUPERMAN’s new, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang, BATGIRL artist Babs Tarr and writers Cameron Stewart and Brenden Fletcher, and BIZARRO writer Heath Corson, among others. Plus, get an advanced look at the highly-anticipated series CYBORG with writer David Walker ahead of its debut in July. Get ready for the New DC Universe with these panels: “Mysteries in Space” on Thursday, “Superman,” “Justice for All,” and “The Bad Guys” all on Friday, and on Saturday “The Lighter Side,” “Batman” featuring all-star creative team Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, and “The Upstarts” featuring the most cutting-edge writers and artists in the industry.
- Following the release of bestselling and Eisner-nominated mini-series THE MULTIVERSITY, writer Grant Morrison will explain how he redefined the DC Universe, giving fans a look back (and forward) to where the far-reaching effects of The Multiversity will be felt most. Don’t miss “DC Entertainment – Grant Morrison: The Multiversity.” DC Entertainment – Grant Morrison: The Multiversity and Beyond – Saturday
- Join superstar JUSTICE LEAGUE writer Geoff Johns for an all-access and in-depth discussion. From Earth One to Darkseid War to all things in between, be here for this exclusive panel that will give you insight into one of the genre’s most influential contributors. DC Entertainment – One-on-One with Geoff Johns – Friday
- Dive into DC Entertainment – Page to Screen, a can’t miss panel celebrating DCE’s film, TV, game, and animation slates. Join talent behind the inner-workings, including moderator and TV GUIDE reporter Damian Holbrook, DCE Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns, Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, The Flash) Heath Corson (Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis), and more! DC Entertainment – Page to Screen – Friday
- Find out where some of your favorite Vertigo titles are heading, and also be the first to hear about the new series on deck for the fall from comics’ most innovative imprint. Vertigo: What’s the Story – Thursday
- See what “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine are up to at the side-splitting, must-attend annual panel helmed by SVP and Executive Editor John Ficarra and a hilarious cast of characters. Mad about MAD – Thursday
- Check out the latest action figures, statues, props and more from the creative minds of DC Collectibles and get an exclusive sneak peek at upcoming releases. DC Collectibles –Thursday
Make sure to stop by DCE’s 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) – the hub for DCE talent signings, hands-on video gameplay, and artist demos, where attendees will have a chance to mingle with some of the best writers and artists in the business. Fans will also get a chance to take photos with their favorite characters with the DCE green screen.
Also checkout highly collectible, exclusive variant comic books available for SDCC attendees only through the Graphitti Designs booth #2314. Certain variants will only be available on specific days while others will be available throughout the convention. Variants include BLACK CANARY #1 (available Thursday, 7/9), BATMAN BEYOND #1 (available Friday, 7/10), MIDNIGHTER #1 (available Saturday, 7/11), BIZARRO #1 (available Sunday, 7/12), and variants available on all days include ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN #1, HARLEY QUINN #17, SUPERMAN #41, BATMAN #41, and JUSTICE LEAGUE #41. A special, rare, oversized gate-fold cover variant of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 will only be available Saturday, 7/11.
Visit DCComics.com for a complete list of panels, and behind-the-scenes coverage and in-depth interviews directly from DCE’s popular web series, DC ALL ACCESS. Download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment signings, panels and stage events at San Diego Comic-Con.
Comic writer extraordinaire Grant Morrison (JLA, Batman and Robin, New X-Men) appears at Meltdown Comics this Wednesday November 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Grant Morrison is highly regarded as one of the most original and inventive writers to work in the comic book industry. He is recognised as being one of the best-selling writers in the medium in the last 20 years.
His revisionist Batman book ARKHAM ASYLUM (with artist Dave McKean) has sold over 600,000 copies worldwide and won numerous awards, making it the most successful original graphic novel to be published in America. In 2009, Eidos released the best-selling video game BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM inspired by the book.
Morrison is renowned for his ability to revive and re-imagine established characters, and has been orchestral behind runs of popular stories for the major companies including DC Comics characters; BATMAN, SUPERMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, DOOM PATROL, ANIMAL MAN and for Marvel Comics the best-selling monthly, NEW X-MEN, MARVEL BOY and FANTASTIC FOUR.
In addition to his work with established brands he has created a number of revolutionary original series including We3, THE INVISIBLES, THE FILTH, FLEX MENTALLO, ZENITH, SEBASTIAN O, MARVEL BOY, and the cult classics KILL YOUR BOYFRIEND, THE MYSTERY PLAY, SEAGUY and JOE THE BARBARIAN.
His Graphic Novels and Comic Book collections have been translated into twenty languages and are sold worldwide to international acclaim.
In the last 5 years, his books have won multiple major industry awards, including The Eisner Award for best series three times for ALL STAR SUPERMAN and best limited series SEVEN SOLDIERS. Morrison has also won several Harvey Awards including Best Writer in 2009, a Scream Award, and attained Lifetime Achievement status at the British Eagle Awards. In 2011, he received five awards from Kapow! Stan Lee to Eagle’s including Best Writer at each, and Best Comic for Batman and Robin.
In 2008, Grant wrote the two top selling DC Comics titles FINAL CRISIS, and BATMAN. The controversial BATMAN R.I.P. storyline which has revolutionised the character was caught in a worldwide press storm with reports of Grant ‘killing Batman’ in every major newspaper and on TV. In 2013, he completed a seven year run on the BATMAN franchise having created the best-selling BATMAN & ROBIN. In 2009, he brought Bruce Wayne back into comic continuity in the series, BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE, and wrapped up the saga in BATMAN INCORPORATED: LEVIATHAN.
In September 2011 as part of the new 52 re-launch at DC Comics, Grant began writing Superman again in the best-selling ACTION COMICS franchise, as the cornerstone book of the line.
In 2014, work at DC Comics includes a revisionist take on Wonder Woman for the Earth One Graphic Novel, WONDER WOMAN: THE TRIAL OF DIANA PRINCE. The epic, long-awaited maxi series, MULTIVERSITY, is due for release in June 2014.
There are also a number of new creator works in production, from the psychedelic Hollywood noir of ANNIHILATOR at Legendary, to the ultimate horror of NAMELESS at Image, via the last chapter of the Seaguy trilogy, SEAGUY: ETERNAL at DC/Vertigo.
As part of his remit at DC Comics, Morrison has also acted as a Consultant, developing updated approaches on minor characters and recreating them as springboards for other writers. He has also had award winning and critical success using this revival method for his own maxi-series, SEVEN SOLDIERS in 2006. His take on Superman for ALL-STAR SUPERMAN cements his ability to breathe life into old franchises and his four year story run on Batman has woven a complex and intriguing best-selling tale the likes of which has not been seen in decades.
Never shy of courting controversy, many of Morrison’s titles other than BATMAN, have made headlines. ST.SWITHIN’S DAY – a story about a young man from the North attempting to assassinate Margaret Thatcher – had questions raised in the House of Commons, as did THE INVISIBLES, Morrison’s highly-influential six-year long series about a group of occult terrorists (which has been said to have partly inspired the film THE MATRIX). Seen as cutting-edge and subversive, THE INVISIBLES and other series, such as THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HITLER, BIG DAVE and DOOM PATROL, have been the subjects of both academic discussion and popular media interest.
In 1997, Grant was the first comic book writer to be included as one of Entertainment Weekly’s top 100 creative people in America.
7522 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Comments Off on DC Announces Panel and Major Signings Details for SDCC 2014
DC Entertainment to Present Ultimate Collection of Panels and Signing Events from Comic Industry’s Biggest Stars at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014
Superstar Creative Team Geoff Johns and John Romita, Jr. Harness Their Talents For SUPERMAN
Grant Morrison To Unleash Brilliant, Highly Anticipated THE MULTIVERSITY Limited Series
Spotlight Shines On New Husband/Wife WONDER WOMAN Creative Team David and Meredith Finch
Comic book fans will cheer for DC Entertainment’s (DCE) list of all-star comic talent and must-attend panels scheduled for Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014. The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DCE’s impressive slate of events, announcements and giveaways is sure to thrill fans.
In addition to the milestone 75th anniversary of Batman, DCE will present an all-star line-up of industry icons who will reveal details on highly-anticipated new projects. The 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will serve as the hub for both signings and artist demos, and will be the go-to place for fans to interact with some of the best writers and artists in the business. For fans who can’t make the Con DCComics.com is the go-to place for behind the scenes coverage and in-depth interviews.
DCE has created a schedule filled with top panels giving fans an array of guest appearances, announcements, and exclusives.
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow – DCE Chief Creative Officer and groundbreaking comic writer Geoff Johns and acclaimed artist John Romita, Jr. will combine their luminary talents to present an all new era for SUPERMAN. Joined by Aaron Kuder (ACTION COMICS), Charles Soule (SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN) Ken Lashley (SUPERMAN DOOMED) and others, this exciting panel will explore what’s in store for the Man of Steel. Plus, don’t miss Johns, Romita Jr. and SUPERMAN inker Klaus Janson’s signing on Thursday from 6-7pm at the DCE booth (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). PanelSaturday 11:15am Room 6DE
- The Multiversity Enrollment – After months of anticipation, creative genius Grant Morrison will unveil his brilliantly intricate limited series THE MULTIVERSITY. Bringing together characters from 52 alternate Earths of the DC Multiverse, fans will finally get their chance to preview the groundbreaking series from one of the biggest names in the industry. Morrison will signing in the DCE booth on Thursday from 2-3pm (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). Panel Friday 3pm Room 6DE
- Champions Of Justice – The fate of DC Comics’ most famous heroine, WONDER WOMAN, will now rest with the real-life husband and wife creative team of writer Meredith Finch and artist David Finch. Take a look at their plans for the thrilling, action-packed series in this special, star–studded panel. An absolute highlight for comic fans, the event also features Geoff Johns (SUPERMAN) Jeff Lemire (FUTURES END), Charles Soule, Robert Venditti (THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN), and Van Jensen (GREEN LANTERN CORPS). PanelFriday 11:15am Room 6DE
- Vertigo: Defy Conventions – Dive into the genre-defying titles from Vertigo with Mark Buckingham on the final storyline of the long-running, fan-favorite series FABLES, the next installment in Neil Gaiman’s celebrated THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, Scott Snyder’s plans for the hugely popular AMERICAN VAMPIRE series, Tula Lotay on the newly announced, mind-bending mystery BODIES, and Lee Bermejo on his upcoming series SUICIDERS. Panel Thursday 6pm Room 5AB
- DC Digital: Download This! – An industry leader in digital comics, join some of the stars of DC Digital’s hottest series including director Kevin Smith and KROQ radio personality Ralph Garman on their new BATMAN ’66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET series, Marc Guggenheim on his smash hit ARROW: SEASON 2.5 series based on the fan-favorite TV show, Kyle Higgins on BATMAN BEYOND 2.0, Cat Staggs on the exciting SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN anthology, info on what’s to come within INFINITE CRISIS, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR 2, and more! Panel Thursday 2pm Room 6DE
- DC Comics – No Boundaries! – Brought to you by the superstar team of Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, HARLEY QUINN is set to be the belle of the Con with their special one-shot HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON. Plus, dive into the exciting adventures of NEW SUICIDE SQUAD with Sean Ryan, learn more about mysterious GRAYSON with Tim Seeley and Tom King, and find out what’s in store for TEEN TITANS.Panel Friday 4:15pm Room 6DE
- Mad About MAD – Meet the Usual Gang Of Idiots as MAD Magazine presents their latest spoofs that are sure to keep the crowds laughing! Panel Thursday 5:30pm Room 4
- Major signings – throughout the Con, DC Entertainment’s booth will host dozens of signings with key talent, including:
- Jim Lee (Thursday 10-11am, Friday 11-12pm, Saturday 6-7pm, Sunday 1-2pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Thursday 12:30-1:30pm, Friday 12:30-1:30pm, Saturday 11-12pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- And many more! Visit DCComics.com or download the DCE events app for a full panel schedule.
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide variety of items exclusively available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series. The Graphitti Designs booth (#2314) will feature variant editions of BATMAN #32, GRAYSON #1, SUPERMAN #32, and two versions of HARLEY QUINN INVADES COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL #1, as well as a JOKER: DEATH OF THE FAMILY mask and a Harley Quinn cross-body purse. DCE will also offer exclusive variants for the first time ever at Diamond retailers with a SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #47 comic and DC Collectibles’ BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY Harley Quinn statue.
Download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment signings, panels and stage events at San Diego Comic-Con.
Comments Off on DC Entertainment Celebrates Superman’s 75th Anniversary and More at SDCC 2013
DC ENTERTAINMENT UNLEASHES IMPRESSIVE SLATE OF STELLAR EVENTS AT COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO 2013
Superman 75th Anniversary Celebration of World’s Greatest Super Hero Continues
Neil Gaiman Awakens THE SANDMAN For All-New Series
Journey To The Dark Side As Villains Take Over DC COMICS – THE NEW 52
DC Entertainment, home to the World’s Greatest Super Heroes and the most talented writers and artists in the business, announced today it will storm Comic-Con International: San Diego 2013 with an impressive line-up of events, announcements and giveaways that promise to amaze fans and continue to cement its position as a leader in the comic book industry.
The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DC Entertainment will conquer Comic-Con with a selection of can’t-miss events. Fans can look forward to an unprecedented celebration of the greatest and most iconic hero in history, Superman – including a look at the best-selling new series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED and the return of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed Vertigo series with THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, featuring the breathtaking artwork of J.H. Williams III. But the San Diego fireworks don’t end there, as DC Entertainment will be giving fans a sneak peek at the dark future within DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 and unveiling the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA car featuring custom artwork from DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign, and more.
DC Entertainment’s interactive 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will take flight this year with a staggering collection of Superman costumes highlighting the Super Hero’s various eras and donned by actors including Henry Cavill, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Tom Welling. The costume gallery anchors a booth that also boasts video game demos, creator signings, a special fan green-screen photo area, giveaways and exclusive video footage.
Plus, with a schedule packed with over 15 panels, DC Entertainment is set to deliver to fans a stellar collection of appearances, announcements and events.
- All hail the world’s first Super Hero as Superman celebrates 75 years! DC Entertainment will join its partners across Warner Bros. Entertainment to salute the most revered and influential comic book character of all time with a slew of must-see events in celebration of both the Man of Steel’s history – including a special Superman 75 panel featuring an all-star roster of guests, including Jack Larson (the original Jimmy Olsen from Adventures of Superman), first-time Comic-Con panelist Tim Daly (Superman: The Animated Series) and reigning animated Supergirl Molly Quinn (Castle) to comics luminaries Paul Levitz, Grant Morrison and Dan Jurgens plus talent from the current blockbuster, “Man of Steel,” and a first look at the animated short chronicling the character’s rich history, produced by “Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder – plus more information on the powerhouse comic book series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED from acclaimed artist Jim Lee and writer Scott Snyder.
- Be there as the legendary Neil Gaiman offers fans a first look at his return to the comic book series that launched his career with Vertigo’s THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE. Brought to life by renowned artist J.H. Williams III, the new 6-issue miniseries set for release on October 30, will also be the subject of an all-star panel featuring Gaiman, Williams and artists Dave McKean and Sam Kieth.
- Dive into Vertigo’s upcoming slate of genre-defying titles – including the dark fantasy COFFIN HILL, the epic adventure HINTERKIND, the post-apocalyptic SUICIDERS, THE SANDMAN spin-off THE DEAD BOY DETECTIVES, and the erotic thriller THE DISCIPLINE, along with the return of the fan-favorite series from Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque, AMERICAN VAMPIRE.
- Terror takes over when Villains Month hits in September. Get an inside look at the shocking events facing our heroes as the first DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 universe-wide event is unleashed. The event, spearheaded by the 7-issue FOREVER EVIL series by superstar writer Geoff Johns with art by the incredibly talented David Finch will also feature 52 jaw-dropping villain-centric titles boasting 3-D Motion covers. Fans will also be able to delve into the structure of this summer’s Justice League event Trinity War with a whiteboard animation video narrated by Johns, which will be showcased at the DC Entertainment booth. Plus, fans can get an early look at “Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics,” an all-new documentary to be teased along with a panel headed by Johns, Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken), Andrea Romano (Batman: The Animated Series) and Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights).
- Don’t miss DC Entertainment’s display of seven Justice League-inspired KIA cars (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg) featuring custom automobile detailing and artwork by legendary artist Jim Lee at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park, Official Comic-Con Partner. Comic-Con will mark the unveiling of the centerpiece to the collection – the JUSTICE LEAGUE KIA – to be auctioned off to benefit the WE CAN BE HEROES giving campaign to help fight the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa.
- DC Entertainment, firmly established as the industry leader in digital comics, will debut its first-ever panel dedicated to the space – slated to reveal new art, innovations and an all-star cast behind some of DC Comics Digital’s most popular releases including BATMAN ’66, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM, and BATMAN BEYOND!
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide offering of exclusive items only available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series JUSTICE LEAGUE, BATMAN, SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, and BATMAN ’66, along with five new DC Collectibles items like the Aardman: Superman Action Figure, a three-pack of Super Best Friends Forever Action Figures, Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange, a “Man of Steel” 1:6 scale Icon Statue black costume variant and DC Comics’ Super Heroes of Green Lantern four-pack.
- Superman gets an altogether different take in the fractured alternate universe of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the highly anticipated DC Universe Animated Original Movie to premiere Friday at Comic-Con.
- Get an inside look at INSIDE MAD, the hugely anticipated forthcoming collection from “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine and get a dose of the magazine’s wit and snark at the annual MAD panel – orchestrated by Editor John Ficarra and a side-splitting cast of characters.
– See more at: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/07/02/dc-entertainment-unleashes-impressive-slate-of-stellar-events-at-comic-con#sthash.WzD2hyiR.dpuf
The Hard Rock casino in Las Vegas was home to the inaugural MorrisonCon on September 29-30, 2012. Going in, I had no idea what to expect from this show. I knew that 10 of the biggest names were special guests, including Grant Morrison, frequent collaborators Frank Quitely, Darick Robertson, and Chris Burnham, along with comic superstars Robert Kirkman, Jim Lee, Jason Aaron, Jonathan Hickman, and Gerard Way. Also invited were Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, Chronicle writer Max Landis, and musical guests Jimmy Urine and Akira the Don.
The energy of the crowd was palpable the minute I set foot in the main room. James Sime, the founder of Isotope Comics, stirred up the crowd with frenetic energy, setting up an introduction to Grant Morrison, who immediately proceeded to introduce Chris Burnham and Frank Quitely, and went straight into talking about upcoming artwork with their respective projects. It was fascinating to see the thought processes of the artists, and how they each interpreted Grant’s scripts and how it translated on to a page. Shortly after, Darick Robertson also joined the trio, and gave his take on working with Grant.
The next panel involved Jonathan Hickman (Fantastic Four), JH Williams (Batwoman), Jason Aaron (Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers vs. X-Men), Robert Kirkman (Walking Dead, Invincible), and Grant Morrison talking about the comic book writing process. From talking about approach to plotting out storylines, to being aware of page turns for reader shock value, to working with different artists and how they might interact with different story tellers, it was a fantastic panel to gain insight from 5 of the biggest writers in comics today.
And since you can’t have comics without art, the following panel featured Chris Burnham, Frank Quitely, JH Williams III, Darick Robertson, and Jim Lee. The artists talked about influences, how they go about laying out pages, to new artists in comics that they personally enjoy. And of course, you can’t have an artist panel without art. Each artist chose a random guest’s sketchbook to draw in, and it was awesome to see them sketch away.
After an hour lunch break, the show continued with a musical based panel, featuring Akira the Don, Gerard Way, Darick Robertson, Grant Morrison, JH Williams III, and Jimmy Urine. It was awesome to see the panelists talk about how music was so intertwined in to their comics, from Gerard Way talking about listening to Tarantula by the Smashing Pumpkins while scripting an entire issue of Umbrella Academy, to the first concerts they’ve all attended, to an improptu performance of I Wanna Hold Your Hand by Darick, Grant and Akira which brought the crowd to their feet.
The last panel of the show for me was the movie panel, featuring Max Landis, James Gunn, Darick Robertson, and Grant Morrison. Although the panel did get sidetracked at times, it was awesome to see James Gunn and Max Landis debating whether Chronicle was a superhero film and what defines a super hero, as well as Landis arguing with Darick Robertson on what he felt was a huge flaw of The Boys.
On top of these amazing panels, there was also creator signings, where you actually had a reserved spot for a specific writer or artist, and you actually got to talk with them for more than the 10 seconds you’re usually alotted at usual cons. That to me was one THE highlight of the show, and I felt it was completely awesome that the artists and writers would embrace the idea, and enjoyed interacting with fans in a more intimate setting.
This show was definitely a one of a kind experience, and I believe is something all comic fans should definitely try attending once in their lifetime. If you ever wanted an comics show that was purely comics based, this is it. With rumors that this show could come back in the future, I’d definitely keep my eye out when tickets go on sale.
Comments Off on Image Comics Panel & Signing Schedule for NYCC 2012
Image Comics’ complete signing schedule for New York Comic Con is now available! The schedule includes signings by top creators every day of the convention, October 11-14 in New York City’s Javits Center. Signings will take place at the Image Comics booth, #1229.
Several creators will also be signing convention exclusives, which Image unveiled on September 19. Details on the exclusives, as well as the panel schedule, can be found at Image Comics’ website.
Thursday 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM
3:00-4:00 Haunt signing: Joe Casey and Nathan Fox
4:00-5:00 Not My Bag signing: Sina Grace
4:00-6:00 Think Tank signing/Talent Hunt: Matt Hawkins (Top Cow)
5:00-6:00 Mind The Gap signing: Jim McCann & Rodin Esquejo
5:00-6:00 Robert Kirkman signing (Skybound) (ticketed)*
6:00-7:00 Halloween Eve signing: Brandon Montclare & Amy Reeder
6:00-7:00 The Darkness and The Bulletproof Coffin signing: David Hine
7:00-8:00 Comeback signing: Ed Brisson & Michael Walsh
8:00-9:00 Great Pacific signing: Joe Harris
Friday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
10:00-11:00 Pigs and Choker signing: Ben McCool & Ben Templesmith
11:00-12:00 Point of Impact signing: Jay Faerber
12:00-1:30 Mind the Gap signing: Jim McCann & Rodin Esquejo
1:00-2:00 Thief of Thieves signing: Nick Spencer, James Asmus, Shawn Martinbrough & Felix Serrano (Skybound)
1:30-3:00 Luther Strode signing: Justin Jordan & Tradd Moore (ticketed)*
3:00-4:00 Non-Humans signing: Glen Brunswick & Whilce Portacio
3:30-5:30 Think Tank signing/Talent Hunt: Matt Hawkins (Top Cow)
4:00-5:00 MacGyver signing: Lee David Zlotoff & Will Sliney
4:00-5:00 The Darkness and The Bulletproof Coffin signing: David Hine
4:00-5:30 Robert Kirkman signing (Skybound) (ticketed)*
5:00-6:00 D.O.G.s of Mars signing: Christian Weiser, Tony Trov & Johnny Zito
5:00-6:00 Artifacts signing: Ron Marz (Top Cow)
6:00-7:00 The Manhattan Projects signing: Jonathan Hickman & Jordie Bellaire (ticketed)*
Saturday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
10:00-11:00 Point of Impact signing: Jay Faerber
11:00-12:00 Halloween Eve signing: Brandon Montclare & Amy Reeder
11:00-12:30 Think Tank signing/Talent Hunt: Matt Hawkins (Top Cow)
12:15-2:00 Saga signing: Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples (ticketed)*
1:00-2:00 Witch Doctor signing: Brandon Seifert & Lukas Ketner (Skybound)
2:00-3:00 Severed signing: Scott Snyder, Scott Tuft, & Attilla Futaki (ticketed)*
3:00-4:00 Top Cow Universe signing: Jeremy Haun, Nelson Blake II, David Hine, Tim Seeley, & Ron Marz
4:00-5:00 Bedlam and Morning Glories signing: Nick Spencer & Rodin Esquejo (ticketed)*
4:00-5:30 Teen Wolf signing: Tyler Posey, Jeff Davis & David Tischman (ticketed)*
5:00-6:00 Great Pacific signing: Joe Harris
5:00-6:00 Thief of Thieves signing: Nick Spencer, James Asmus, Shawn Martinbrough & Felix Serrano (Skybound)
6:00-7:00 The Manhattan Projects signing: Jonathan Hickman & Jordie Bellaire (ticketed)*
Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
10:15-12:00 Happy! signing: Grant Morrison (ticketed)*
11:00-12:00 Super Dinosaur signing: Jason Howard (Skybound)
12:00-1:00 Black Kiss 2 signing: Howard Chaykin
1:00-3:00 Saga signing: Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples (ticketed)*
3:00-4:00 Great Pacific signing: Joe Harris (writer/artist)
3:30-5:00 Robert Kirkman signing (Skybound) (ticketed)*
4:00-5:00 Valentine signing: Alex de Campi & Christine Larsen
*Tickets will be available at the Image Comics booth (#1229) on the day of the signing. One ticket per person will be available for each ticketed signing beginning at the start of the show each day and only while supplies last. No purchase necessary.
All signings are subject to change. Check at the Image Comics booth for up-to-date signing schedules. Keep up with what’s happening at the Image Comics booth by following us on Twitter (@ImageComics)!
Comments Off on Scene on the Web: MorrisonCon
A look back at MorrisonCon, featuring Grant Morrison and friends. More videos and reports to be added later so check back.
MorrisonCon takes place on September 28-30, 2012 at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas. MorrisonCon Packages go on sale to the public on May 9, 2012 at 3 PM ET / 12 Noon PT. The full details can be found on MorrisonCon.com. Follow MorrisonCon on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news.
Special guests include:
Gerard Way began his artistic career after graduating from New York’s School of Visual Arts with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1999. He is the front man and a founding member of the heralded rock band MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE. Way is also the creator and author of the 2008 Eisner Award Winning graphic novel series, THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY, published by Dark Horse and recently optioned by Universal Pictures.
Comics futurist, author, artist and designer Jonathan Hickman detonated on the comics scene with THE NIGHTLY NEWS in 2006. Quickly becoming one of the most celebrated science fiction authors in the medium, Hickman followed with SECRET WARRIORS, TRANSHUMAN, PAX ROMANA and made history as an architect of the Marvel Universe on FANTASTIC FOUR and AVENGERS VS. X-MEN. Recently Hickman launched two new ongoing creator owned series, THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS and SECRET at Image Comics.
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely have been called the Lennon and McCartney of comics and have metamorphized the modern comics era with their award-winning collaborations on ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, WE3, NEW X-MEN, the recently released lost classic FLEX MENTALLO, and the re-envisioning of two of America’s greatest pop culture icons with BATMAN & ROBIN. Quitely’s stunning visual overload has also graced album covers for indie rockers THE PHANTOM BAND and a promotional tarot card deck for singer/songwriter ROBBIE WILLIAMS. His future projects include the comic series MULTIVERSITY and JUPITER’S CHILDREN.
J.H. Williams III
Multi-award winning artist whose hypnotically gorgeous artwork graces the pages of BATWOMAN, DESOLATION JONES, SEVEN SOLDIERS, CHASE, one of the most celebrated runs on DETECTIVE COMICS in the last two decades, and the stunning comics tour-de-force PROMETHEA. Williams is also the future cover artist of the forthcoming album by new wave pop supergroup BLONDIE. The only thing more gorgeous than Williams’ printed work is witnessing his original art pages with your own eyes.
Up and coming superstar artist, Chris Burnham rose to popularity through his work on THE AMORY WARS with Claudio Sanchez of COHEED AND CAMBRIA. Partnering with Joe Casey, Burnham tore up the comic world with the graphic novels NIXON’S PALS and OFFICER DOWNE. Collaborating with Grant Morrison on the New York Times Bestselling BATMAN, INCORPORATED, Burnham returns to the Batcave with the launch of BATMAN INCORPORATED VOLUME 2.
MorrisonCon is a comic convention curated by Grant Morrison and Ignition Sequence, an intimate gathering featuring a hand-picked selection of some of the industry’s most exciting comic creators. Join us during this weekend long celebration of comics and their inspirational creators, get involved in a way unlike any other comic event, and shape treasured memories with us. MorrisonCon aims to change the way comics conventions are experienced.
Take part in innovative conversations with some of the most brilliant minds in sequential arts, informative comic workshops, personalized signing sessions, original art gallery showings, intimate mixers for fans and special guests alike, after hours parties with DJ Grant Morrison and featured guests in the Hard Rock Nightclub, and surprises around every corner.
Full mad details to be revealed.
“Expect maximum rock ‘n’ roll, chaos magic, mind-bending esoterica, sharp suits, surprise guests, and once-in-a-lifetime performances, all wrapped up in the glory that is comics, comics, and more comics.” – Grant Morrison
About Grant Morrison:
Rockstar author and cosmic visionary behind some of comics’ greatest works, including ALL- STAR SUPERMAN, THE INVISIBLES, SEVEN SOLDIERS, NEW X-MEN, ARKHAM ASLYLUM, FLEX MENTALLO, and BATMAN & ROBIN as well as the national bestseller SUPERGODS, a philosophical analysis of superhero comics and personal memoir. Grant’s up-coming works include his psychedelic revenge film SINATORO, the blockbuster DOMINION with Barry Sonnenfeld, and the forthcoming comic series BATMAN INCORPORATED, MULTIVERSITY and HAPPY!
Well, recently it was announced that Image Comics would be putting on their convention this year. Now “The people behind Isotope Comics and iFanboy, along with Grant Morrison are excited to announce an innovative new approach to comic conventions.”
According to their website, they will present in the fall “A once in a lifetime opportunity to see Grant Morrison and 9 hand picked comic creator superstars, all together for one weekend, one time only.”
More details to come.