First Second Books has released a schedule of all the :01 programming at booth #1323, so you don’t have to miss a thing. Come by and say hello!
Thursday, July 21st
- 11:00 AM: In-Booth Signing, John Patrick Green, Hippopotamister
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: First Second 10th Anniversary Celebration featuring Mark Siegel and Ben Hatke, in Room 4
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Panel: We Need Diverse Comics featuring Ben Hatke in Room 9
- 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM: Panel: Make Your Own Story featuring John Patrick Green in Room 24ABC
- 5:00 PM: John Patrick Green Signing at AA09
Friday, July 22nd
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Spotlight on Ben Hatke in Room 4
- 12:00 PM – 1:00PM: Panel: Censorship and Kids Comics featuring First Second staff member Gina Gagliano in the Shiley Special Events Suite at the San Diego Library
- 12:30 PM: In-Booth Signing, Ben Hatke, Mighty Jack
- 12:45 PM: EW Con-X featuring Gene Luen Yang at the Embarcadero Marina Park North
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Panel: Kids Comics 2026 – What Publishers Project for the Future featuring First Second staff member Mark Siegel in the Shiley Special Events Suite at the San Diego Central Library
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM: Panel: How Comics are Created featuring Gene Luen Yang at the Shiley Special Events Suite in the San Diego Central Library
- 3:30 PM: In-Booth Signing, Gene Luen Yang, Paths & Portals
- 3:30 PM: EW Con-X featuring Ben Hatke, at the Embercadero Marina Park North
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Panel: Graphic Novel Publishing Diversity featuring First Second staff member Gina Gagliano in the Special Events Suite in the San Diego Central Library
- 5:00 PM: In-Booth Signing, MK Reed, Americus, Dinosaurs
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Panel: Graphic Novel Publishing: State of the Industry featuring First Second staff member Mark Siegel in the Shiley Special Events Suite at the San Diego Central Library
Saturday, July 23rd
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Panel: Once Upon a Time: Teaching Fables, Fairy Tales, and Myths with Comics and Graphic Novels featuring Ben Hatke in the Shiley Special Events Suite at the San Diego Central Library
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Panel: Dig Deep featuring MK Reed and Gene Luen Yang in Room 28DE
- 11:00 AM: In-Booth giveaway, Tetris, by Box Brown
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Panel: Reading Without Walls featuring Gene Luen Yang in conversation with Hank Green in Room 29AB
- 12:00 PM: In-Booth signing, Ben Hatke, Mighty Jack
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Panel: The Kids Comics Revolution featuring Gene Luen Yang and John Patrick Green
- 2:30 PM: In-Booth signing, Gene Luen Yang, Paths & Portals
Sunday, July 24th
- 11:00 AM: In-Booth Signing, John Patrick Green, Hippopotamister
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Panel: How (and Why) Kids Started Reading Comics Again featuring First Second staff member Gina Gagliano in Room 25ABC
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Panel: Leigh Bardugo and Gene Luen Yang In-Conversation in Room 29AB
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Panel: Racebending featuring Gene Luen Yang in Room 29AB
Meet cartoonist Maris Wicks (Primates, Human Body Theater) and learn about coral reefs at Barnes & Noble on Saturday May 14, 2016 at 2:00 PM! The ‘Science Comics’ series offers an illustrated introduction to a particular topic. Maris Wicks’ gorgeously illustrated graphic novel combines hardcore cuteness and in depth science to takes a look at the biology of coral reefs as well as their ecological importance.
Barnes & Noble – Prudential Center
800 Boylston Street Suite 179, Boston, MA 02199
Local Author/Illustrator Maris Wicks (Primates) appears at the Brookline Library on Tuesday October 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM to talk about her newest graphic novel: Human Body Theater!! Ages 8 and up are welcome to attend.
361 Washington Street Brookline, MA 02445
Zack Giallongo is a professional cartoonist, cheese enthusiast, and amateur banjo-ist. His first solo graphic novel, Broxo, is about teenage barbarians and was published in 2012. He presents his new book: Stratford Zoo Presents Macbeth.
The Stratford Zoo looks like a normal zoo… until the gates shut at night. That’s when the animals come out of their cages to stage elaborate performances of Shakespeare’s greatest works. They might not be the most accomplished thespians, but they’ve got what counts: heart. Also fangs, feathers, scales, and tails, in The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth.
Ian Lendler’s hilarious tale of after-hours animal stagecraft is perfectly paired with the adorable, accessible artwork of Zack Giallongo (Broxo, Ewoks). And with Romeo and Juliet coming in book two, this is a promising new series of graphic novels for young readers.
Ben Hatke has published comic stories in the Flight series as well as Flight Explorer. In addition to writing and drawing comics, he also paints in the naturalist tradition and, occasionally, performs one-man fire shows. He lives and works in the Shenandoah Valley with his wife and a boisterous pack of daughters. He is thr author of the Zita The Spacegirl Series.
Zita The Spacegirl
Zita’s life took a cosmic left turn in the blink of an eye.
When her best friend is abducted by an alien doomsday cult, Zita leaps to the rescue and finds herself a stranger on a strange planet. Humanoid chickens and neurotic robots are shocking enough as new experiences go, but Zita is even more surprised to find herself taking on the role of intergalactic hero. Before long, aliens in all shapes and sizes don’t even phase her. Neither do ancient prophecies, doomed planets, or even a friendly con man who takes a mysterious interest in Zita’s quest.
Zita the Spacegirl is a fun, captivating tale of friendship and redemption from Flight veteran Ben Hatke. It also has more whimsical, eye-catching, Miyazaki-esque monsters than you can shake a stick at.
9 College Street, South Hadley, MA 01075
Comments Off on OR – The Wrenchies Signing
Farel Dalrymple appears at Powell’s Books on Thursday, October 2nd at 6:30 pm to sign THE WRENCHIES!
Comics legend Farel Dalrymple brings his literary and artistic powers to bear in The Wrenchies (First Second), a sprawling science-fiction graphic novel about regret, obsession, and the uncertainty of growing up. Dalrymple’s artwork will be featured in our Basil Hallward Gallery throughout October.
Powell’s City of Books
1005 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209-3114
503 228 4651
Comments Off on NYC – The Wrenchies Signing
Farel Dalrymple appears at Forbidden Planet on Friday September 19th at 6:00 p.m. to sign copies of his brand new (and long awaited) new graphic novel from First Second.
832 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
Comments Off on DC – 3rd Annual Graphic Novel Panel
Mark Siegel, Jim Rugg, Gareth Hinds, and Farel Dalrymple appear at Politics & Prose on Sunday September 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM for a graphic novel panel!
Politics & Prose
5015 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008
Comments Off on MA – The Wrenchies Signing
Farel Dalrymple appears at Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square for a signing of his new First Second graphic novel The Wrenchies on Thursday, September 18th, 2014 from 5:00 till 7:00 pm!
Million Year Picnic
99 Mt Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Comments Off on CA – The Shadow Hero Signing
Gene Luen Yang (Boxers & Saints, American Born Chinese) appears at Eastwind Books on Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 3:00 pm to present his latest graphic novel The Shadow Hero!
In the comics boom of the 1940s, a legend was born: the Green Turtle. But this mysterious masked crusader was hiding something more than your run-of-the-mill secret . . . The Green Turtle was the first Asian American superhero.
The original Green Turtle comic only had a short run, but now Gene Luen Yang has revived the character, creating an origin story for a forgotten hero.
Hank just wants to enjoy his quiet life running the family grocery store with his father, but his mother wants him to become a superhero, and to clean up their Chinatown neighborhood! Can he find a way to live the life he wants and not disappoint his mother?
With artwork by Sonny Lieu, this dazzling, funny comics adventure for teens is a new spin on the long, rich tradition of American comics lore.
2066 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704
Comments Off on MN – The Shadow Hero Signing
Gene Luen Yang appears at Wild Rumpus Books in Minneapolis Friday July 18, 2014 at 7:00 pm! He will be talking about his and Sonny Liew’s latest graphic novel The Shadow Hero!
Artist, author, educator, trailblazer! Gene Luen Yang is all of these and more. That’s why we’re so very excited to meet him.
His book American Born Chinese was the first graphic novel to earn a National Book Award nomination and the first to win the American Library Association’s Prinz Award.
His most recent works, Boxers and Saints, are a diptich, with the stories of the two books intertwining. Not surprisingly, the diptich is another National Book Award nominee.
Wild Rumpus Books
2720 West 43rd Street, Minneapolis, MN 55410