Comments Off on OR – Ladies Night at TFAW
Joëlle Jones, Rachel Edidin, Dylan Meconis, and Leia Weathington sign at Things From Another World on Friday June 7th from 8:00 till 10:00 p.m.
A women-only event! Meet and mingle with your local female comics community at Ladies Night June 7 at the Portland Things From Another World. Bring your questions for a Q&A with local women of comics Joëlle Jones (Helheim), Rachel Edidin (Wired.com), Dylan Meconis (Family Man), and Leia Weathington (The Legend of Bold Riley) from 7 to 8 p.m., then participate in a Drink & Draw and t-shirt “remodeling” demonstration from 8 to 10 p.m. Complimentary snacks and beer/wine provided (for those 21+ with valid ID).
“Portland has an incredible network of women connected to the comics community–whether they create comics, write about them, or read them,” said TFAW Public Relations Manager Elisabeth Allie. “We’ve had two previous Ladies Nights, and there’s just nothing like seeing an entire store filled with women who love comics–they’re very special events.”
In addition to the Q&A and Drink & Draw, Dark Horse Comics’ Events and Community Manager Kari Yadro will lead a demonstration of how to transform men’s t-shirts into cool, stylish tops for women. Bring your own t-shirt (or purchase one at TFAW) to join in!
Do you make comics, love comics, or just want to learn more about them? Mark your calendars for Ladies Night at the Portland TFAW June 7, and make sure to spread the word!
Things From Another World
2916 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232
Comments Off on OR – Last Day in Vietnam Reading
In honor of Will Eisner Week, Dark Horse Editor Diana Schutz hand-picked a lineup of some of the best comics creators in the country to share stories from Will Eisner’s Last Day in Vietnam.
Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, Michael Avon Oeming, Dylan Meconis, and Kelly Sue DeConnick will be reading, and Erik Nebel will be accompanying a wordless story on violin. Basically, it’s a lineup that shouldn’t be allowed to get on an airplane together, because if that plane crashed, so would like 80 percent of the comics industry.
Here’s a bit more info on the participants. LIKE YOU NEED MORE INFO, C’MON.
• MATT FRACTION, architect of the Marvel Universe, writer of The Invincible Iron Man, and creator of the beloved high-concept spy comic Casanova.
• BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS, yet another architect of the Marvel Universe, writer of Ultimate Spider-Man and creator of the beloved superhero noir comic Alias.
• MICHAEL AVON OEMING, a creator and artist on numerous projects including the Eisner-winning series Powers.
• DYLAN MECONIS, creator of the brainy historical graphic novel Family Man and the vampire-themed spoof Bite Me.
• KELLY SUE DECONNICK, writer of a number of Marvel Comics titles, including the well-received Osborn miniseries and Avengers Assemble.
• ERIK NEBEL, creator of War and Peace: The Comic, which is just what it says it is.
It all goes down at 8 pm on Thursday, March 7, at the Jack London (529 SW 4th, Portland, Oregon). Admission’s $3-5. Yes, it’s going to be as good as it sounds. See you there.