Awesome Con Announces Full Schedule of Events
Over 200 Hours of Diverse Panels, Talks, Screenings & Workshops Fill the Walter E. Washington Convention Center June 3-5
Washington DC (May 25, 2016) – Awesome Con, Washington DC’s Comic Con, is proud to announce its full lineup of programming, including talks from celebrity guests Peter Capaldi, Kevin Smith, John Barrowman, and the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; scientific lectures with engineers, experts, astronauts, and Bill Nye the Science Guy; family workshops covering arts, crafts, comics, and literacy; and interactive activities including Sci-Fi Speed Dating, costume contests, and tabletop gaming.
“I’m very excited by everything we’re showcasing this year,” shared Awesome Con founder Ben Penrod. “We’ve got over ten rooms running non-stop with panels and special events, covering everything from comics, video games, movies, and books, to anime, toys, and cosplay. No matter what makes you geek out, we’ve got it!”
Awesome Con takes place June 3-5 in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, with events running each day from morning to night. For Awesome Con’s full schedule, please visit awesome-con.com/schedule and see below for select highlights.
Celebrity & Comic Guests
Learn what makes Awesome Con’s biggest guests tick with talks from the stars behind fan-favorite TV shows, movies, and comic books.
- Peter Capaldi (2:30 PM – June 5 – Hall D) The current Doctor in Doctor Who comes to Awesome Con all the way from the UK to talk about his role in the iconic series.
- John Barrowman (3 PM – June 4 – Hall D) Whether he’s in BBC’s Torchwood, CW’s Arrow, or the British stage, Barrowman is a showstopper. Find out why at Awesome Con.
- Adam West & Burt Ward (1:15 PM – June 4 – Hall D) The stars of 1966’s Batman series speak about their careers and the classic series’ lengthy legacy.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (12:30 PM – June 4 – Room 146) Brett Dalton and Elizabeth Henstridge talk about their hit series, just after the shocking season finale.
- Karl Urban (5 PM – June 4 – Room 146) Urban plays McCoy in the upcoming Star Trek Beyond and was recently cast in Thor: Ragnarok. Learn what’s next for this rising star.
- Tom King (12:30 PM – June 5 – Room 152) Following a career in the CIA, King started penning comics – and is now writing Batman. Hear about his unique career firsthand.
- Paranormal Lockdown (1:30 PM – June 4 – Room 145B) Paranormal all-star Nick Groff and ghost hunter Katrina Weidman discuss their hit Destination America series.
- A Haunting (4 PM – June 4 – Room 145B) Tony Call goes behind the scenes of this Destination America series, shot entirely in DC, Virginia, and Maryland.
Stay up late at Awesome Con with two extra special evening events, and grab premium tickets including autographs with their stars.
- Kevin Smith (7 PM – June 3 – Hall D) The prolific, actor, comedian, comic writer, author, and podcaster comes to DC for an evening of candid stories and laughs.
- Eugene Mirman (8 PM – June 4 – Room 152) Brooklyn comedian and the voice of Gene in Bob’s Burgers, Eugene Mirman brings his unique comedy show to Awesome Con.
Awesome Con’s Science Fair presented by Science Channel features three days of lectures, workshops, and discussions with scientists from Science Channel, NASA, the Smithsonian, and more.
- StarTalk Live! (12 PM – June 5 – Hall D) Bill Nye and Eugene Mirman co-host StarTalk Live!, a talk show blending science and comedy with acclaimed special guests.
- Exoplanets: Stranger than Fiction (5 PM – June 3 – Room 145A) A panel of NASA scientists discuss planets depicted in science fiction and how our knowledge of planets in our solar system – and beyond – present a picture stranger than fiction.
- 3D Bioprinting: Moving Beyond Cyborgs (12:30 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) In this panel, organized by NationOfMakers.org, engineers explain the cutting-edge research that may someday replace mechanical implants with engineered human tissue.
- Mars: Past, Present, and Future (7 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) Scientists talk about searching the Martian surface for clues about the possibility of life and how astronauts might someday explore the Mars on foot.
- Outrageous Acts of Science (1:45 PM – June 4 – Room 145A) Join Science Channel as they celebrate their hit series Outrageous Acts of Science with some of the greatest (and most hilarious) scientific minds.
Check out the Kids Zone on the Awesome Con show floor, filled with events and activities for little ones. Admission for kids under 10 is free.
- Say Yes To Capes (6 PM – June 3 – Kids Zone) Personalize your own cape and mask and wear it around the con.
- Scribble Scramble (3 PM – June 4 – Kids Zone) Kids and artists compete in a series of rapid fire drawing challenges.
- Make Your Own Superhero Symbol (4 PM – June 4 – Kids Zone) Artist Carolyn Belefski helps kids create their own superhero symbols unique to their interests.
- Making Mini-Comics (3 PM – June 5 – Kids Zone) Comic creator Laura Lee Gulledge helps kids write and draw their very own comic books.
Interactive & Nerdy
Beyond talks from celebrities and scientists, Awesome Con offers a wealth of interactive entertainment connecting fans with fellow fans.
- Sci-Fi Speed Dating (Multiple Times – June 3-5 – Room 140) Looking for that special someone to spend New Comic Book Day with? Grab a spot at Sci-Fi Speed Dating.
- The Backlot (All Day – June 3-5 – Exhibit Hall) Hold Captain America’s actual shield, snap a photo with a reproduction Batmobile, and check out larger than life props.
- Tabletop Gaming (All Day – June 3-5 – Salons A-C) From Magic: The Gathering to Cards Against Humanity, play non-stop in the Foam Brain Games Tabletop Room.
- Artemis Bridge (All Day – June 3-5 – Salon F) Ever fancied yourself a Starfleet commander? Live the dream in the live-action starship roleplaying experience.
- Costume Contests (Multiple Times – June 4-5 – Hall D) Awesome Con offers attendees two chances to strut their stuff on stage, with prizes from Cosplay by McCall’s, Capture Me in 3D, Funimation, HERO HAIR: Cosplay Wigs for the Serious Adventurer, and Kotobukiya.
About Awesome Con
Awesome Con is the biggest annual comic and pop culture convention in Washington DC and welcomed over 40,000 attendees in 2015. Awesome Con celebrates all aspects of geekdom and pop culture, with a wide assortment of engaging events, comic books, collectibles, toys, games, original art, cosplay, and more. 2016 marks Awesome Con’s first year in partnership with LeftField Media, an event organizer developed by the founder of New York Comic Con.
Boston Comic Con 2016 has a marvelous new addition to our celebrity guest lineup! Elizabeth Henstridge is an English actress best known for her role as Agent Jemma Simmons on ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. She has also appeared in the feature films The Thompsons, Gangs of Tooting Broadway, and Reach Me and on the British soap opera Hollyoaks as Emily Alexander in 2011. Elizabeth will appear to meet fans, sign autographs, and pose for photos on Saturday August 13 and Sunday August 14!
About Boston Comic Con:
The Boston Comic Con is a 100% independently run comic book show committed to bringing the biggest and best comic creators to New England. Run by fans for fans, Boston Comic Con is not affiliated with any other convention tour or corporate interests. Hosting over 120,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia, this is a destination event for geeks of any stripe. This year’s convention will be held Friday August 12th, Saturday August 13th, and Sunday August 14th at the Seaport World Trade Center, 200 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210. For more information please go to our website at www.bostoncomiccon.com and follow us on Twitter (@BostonComicCon) and Facebook!
Marvel TV Comes to San Diego Comic-Con
Learn where to find ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ & ‘Marvel’s Agent Carter’ at SDCC!
Wondering what “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” have been up to all summer? To prepare for its fall return at the new time of 9:00 p.m. ET Tuesday nights, Comic-Con International will be hosting a panel with all your favorite agents to talk about “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “Marvel’s Agent Carter”!
On Friday, July 25, prepare yourselves for the Marvel Television Presents panel, moderated by Jeph Loeb, Marvel’s Head of Television, which promises exciting news and fun surprises for fans! Join Jeph and “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Executive Producers Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jeffrey Bell, along with cast members Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson), Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May), Brett Dalton (Grant Ward), Chloe Bennet (Skye), Iain de Caestecker (Leo Fitz) and Elizabeth Henstridge (Jemma Simmons).
Plus, learn more about midseason series “Marvel’s Agent Carter” with Executive Producers Tara Butters, Michele Fazekas, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely and Louis D’Esposito and series star Hayley Atwell (“Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger”), in this can’t miss Q&A panel that will take you behind the scenes and into the future of Marvel’s live action television series.
Be in Ballroom 20 from 3:00-4:00 p.m. PT Friday, July 25, and check out an autograph session for “Marvel’s Agent Carter” preceding the panel from 1:00-2:00 p.m. PT at the Marvel Booth (#2329) on the Convention Floor. Plus, on Saturday, July 26, meet the “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” cast and Executive Producers for an autograph session from 10:00-11:00am at the Marvel Booth (#2329).
And don’t forget to check out Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at its new time of 9:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday nights this fall to find out who you can trust, who you can’t, and more on just what’s going on with Coulson!