2013 San Diego Comic-Con Events, Panels & Products
The Con is (almost) on, and this year we’ve got some pretty impressive events scheduled! To help you plan your moves at SDCC, check out this rundown of where to be and when. And when you’re ready for a break, don’t forget to snag a few treats for yourself from the selection of toys we’ll have available.
Thursday July 18, 10am – 11am Room 25ABC
Mattel Presents: How Toys Are Made
Join the Mattel Entertainment Brands Design Team for a journey through the history and evolution of Mattel action figures. From our earliest offerings through our latest brand launch of Max Steel®, we will take you through the last 35 years of our action figure portfolio, highlighting the significant advances and design innovations of our brands throughout the years. We also will have a Q+A with a panel of premier Mattel action figure designers and historians representing WWE®, MOTU, DCU, Max Steel®,Man of Steel™ and Batman™ that will take on any and all questions about our many action figure brands.
Thursday July 18, 1pm – 2pm Room 25ABC
Mattel and WWE®: Bring on the Action!
Here’s your chance to attend Miz TV with special guest Dolph Ziggler! The Miz will host as Mattel toy designer Bill Miekina and marketing manager Mitchell Camerondiscuss the latest in WWE® action figure news and give sneak peeks at upcoming product. You never know what surprises are in store! See you there!
Friday July 19, 11am – 12pm Room 25ABC
Mattel Presents: Mattypalooza 2013!
It’s that time again! Join us for the toy panel to beat all toy panels – Mattypalooza! Celebrating our 5th year at SDCC, come get the inside scoop on your favorite collectables from Mattel: Masters of the Universe® Classics, DC Comics™ Signature Series, Watchmen™, Ghostbusters™ and more! Plus as a special bonus attendees will have the opportunity to vote on an upcoming MOTUC monthly figure: Huntara vs. Lord Masque – you decide who gets made! Be there for a major announcement as Mattel partners with one of the biggest names in pop culture to bring you exciting new collectables you will have to see to believe! The panel will also include an insightful Q & A with Mattel toy designers, Mattel Marketing Manager Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlichand special guests The Four Horsemen. It’s the place to be for the world premiere of tons of new toys and collectibles! If you go to one Toy Panel at SDCC, make it Mattypalooza!
Friday July 19, 3pm – 4pm Room 25ABC
Mattel and DC Comics – A Celebration for Collectors of All Ages!
For fans of all ages, from kids to seasoned collectors, you won’t want to miss the exciting news, reveals, giveaways, and even the trivia game that this panel has to offer! Ruben Martinez and Bill Benecke (Mattel toy designers), Jessica Sikca andDanielle McLachlan (Mattel marketing team), Julian Montoya (VP, Warner Bros. Consumer Products), Kevin Kiniry (VP, Creative Services DC Entertainment), a member of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) team, members ofThe Four Horsemen Toy Design Studios, and other special guests will celebrate the BATMAN™ Classic TV Series and MAN OF STEEL™ product lines, announce ALL NEW product lines, reveal upcoming products, and give you a few special sneak peeks from the DC Comics™ and Batman™ toy lines. There will be a Q&A, a trivia game that you won’t want to miss and an exciting toy giveaway for everyone who attends! Join us for this celebration for collectors of all ages. TM & © DC Comics. (s13)
Saturday July 20, 11am – 12pm Room 25ABC
Mattel Presents: Monster High™ 2013: Where SCREAMS come true!
Celebrate the freaky fabulous year of 13 with the Monster High™ Team!
Get a freak peek at exclusive scenes from the newest Monster High™ DVD, 13 Wishes (this fall from Universal Studios Home Entertainment). The freaky talented Monster High™ voice actors, including: Erin Fitzgerald (voice of Abbey Bominable™, Spectra Vongergeist™, Scarah Screams™ & Rochelle Goyle™), Debi Derryberry(voice of Draculaura™) and America Young (voice of Howleen Wolf™& Toralei Stripe™) will discuss the making of the ghouls’ latest adventure. Moderated by Emmy-Award winning Executive Producer of Monster High™, Audu Paden.
But that’s not all… our Monster High® team is just DYING to share more secrets lurking the halls of Monster High®! Garrett Sander, Rebecca Shipman, Natalie Villegas and Javier Meabe (Monster High® Toy Designers), Roy Juarez (Monster High® Packaging Designer) and Eric Hardie (Monster High® Copywriter) will reveal uhhh-mazing new Monster High® ghouls and how they came to un-life!
Sunday, July 21, 12pm – 1pm Room 7AB
Mattel Presents: Max Steel®: Rise of Elementor World Premiere Screening!
Be the FIRST to see Max and Steel team up to take on their biggest threat yet in Rise of Elementor. You will get to watch this exciting 2-part broadcast event for Max Steel® before it airs on Disney XD this fall! Will our heroes be able to defend Copper Canyon and rescue Ferrus™ from the evil Dredd™? Join us to find out, and receive a free toy giveaway!
Mattel Booth Events
All events take place at Mattel Booth #3029 unless noted.
- Thursday 7/18 10am – 12pm Autographs with Dirk Benedict. Meet Starbuck from the original “Battlestar Galactica” and Faceman from “The A-Team!”
- Thursday 7/18 1:30pm – 2:30pm MOTU Mini-Comic Signing Meet the creative team behind the 2013 MOTUC mini-comics and get your toys and comics signed! Free mini comic to the first 100 people in line. First come, first served.
- Thursday 7/18 3pm – 4pm WWE® Autograph Session. Come get your brawl on with WWE® Superstars The Miz and Dolph Ziggler. Stop by at 9:30am to get tickets, first come, first served.
- Thursday 7/18 5pm – 6:30pm Monster High® Talent Signing. Meet the “brains” behind Monster High® creative and entertainment teams and get your toys, comics and collectable cards signed! Stop by at 9:30am to get tickets – first come, first served.
- Friday 7/19 10am – 10:30am BATMAN™ Classic TV Series Product Raffle. BIF! BAM! KAPOW! If you’re a fan of the BATMAN™ Classic TV Series line, you won’t want to miss this opportunity to win free products!
- Friday 7/19 11am – 12pm WWE® Autograph Session. Bring on the action! Rey Mysterio, Mick Foley and Daniel Bryan will be on hand for autographs. Stop by at 9:30am to get tickets, first come, first served.
- Friday 7/19 12:30pm – 1pm Four Horsemen Autograph Signing. Come meet the fantastic sculptors of our flagship MOTU and DC 6” lines. They will be happy to sign any item you bring.
- Friday 7/19 2pm – 3pm Madison Beer Signing. Meet Madison Beer, the creepy cool singer of the new Monster High® song, “We are Monster High!” Meet Madison as she kicks off the green screen video event. First come, first served.
- Friday 7/19 2pm – 6pm Monster High® Green Screen Video Booth Event. Be a part of Monster High® through green screen technology, and enter for a chance to have your freaky fab moves in the next Monster High® music video! Show your school pride by singing and dancing your “guts” out to the new rally song, “We are Monster High!”
- Saturday 7/20 11am – 12pm WWE® Autograph Session. Come battle with the best! Sheamus and Ryback will be on hand for autographs. Stop by at 9:30am to get tickets, first come, first served.
- Saturday 7/20 12:30pm – 1:15pm Toy Hunter Autograph Session. Come meet Jordan Hembrough, the star of “Toy Hunter,” and take a look at some great vintage toys he’s found while traveling the country.
- Saturday 7/20 2pm – 6pm Monster High® Green Screen Video Booth Event.Be a part of Monster High® through green screen technology, and enter for a chance to have your freaky fab moves in the next Monster High™ music video! Show your school pride by singing and dancing your “guts” out to the new rally song, “We are Monster High.”
- Sunday 7/21 10am – 12pm Monster High® Talent Signing. Meet the “brains” behind Monster High creative and entertainment teams… and get your toys, comics and collectable cards signed!
- Sunday 7/21 2pm – 4pm Max Steel® Turbo Battlers™ Tournament. Test your turbo energy by battling and competing to be the clear winner of the Max Steel® Turbo Battlers™ Tournament. Please stop by prior to obtain your battle time!
In between attending all those events, don’t forget to pick up these awesome Mattel products:
- Masters of the Universe® Classics Mini He-Man® & Skeletor® Figures (Available for purchase at the show, then at MattyCollector.com on August 5, 2013.)
- Masters of the Universe® Classics Rokkon™ & Stonedar™ (Available for purchase at the show, then at MattyCollector.com on August 5, 2013.)
- DC Man of Steel™ Movie Masters® Superman™ vs. General Zod Movie Pack (Available for purchase at the show, then at MattyCollector.com on August 5, 2013.)
- DCU Club Infinite Earths “Shazam!” New 52 (Available for purchase at the show, then at MattyCollector.com on August 5, 2013.)
- Back to the Future™ Hover Board
- BATMAN™ Classic TV Series Batman™ Batusi Batman™ (Available for purchase at the show, then at MattyCollector.com on August 5, 2013.)
- Catwoman Barbie® Doll
- Hot Wheels® Atari® Beach Bomb™ Pickup
- Hot Wheels® A-Team™ Custom GMC® Panel Van
- Hot Wheels® Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider
- Hot Wheels® Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper Mark II
- Monster High® Webarella™ Doll
NYCC Fan Panels & Events Schedule 10/12-10/14
It’s almost time for New York Comic Con to unleash its power in the Big Apple, and Mattel is ready! We’ll be right there at Javits Center when the show opens Friday, October 12th until closing on Sunday, October 14th. We’ve got great fan panels and events planned, packed with awesome guests and information…
Mattel Presents: Mattypalooza in New York 2012 – Masters of the Universe Classics
Saturday, 10/13 at 12:15 – 1:15 pm, Rm 1A14
This year’s Mattypalooza will be bigger and better than ever with all the latest on Masters of the Universe® Classics… including the world premiere of the art for the long-awaited Castle Grayskull! You’ll see early design renderings for this 2013 release and get all the details on the upcoming product pre-order. Don’t miss the live Q & A with Mattel toy designers and marketing manager Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlichand Jim Preziosi, Eric “Cornboy” Mayse, Chris Dahlberg and Eric Treadaway, aka The Four Horsemen.
VOLTRON®: Form Blazing Fun!
Sunday, 10/14 at 2:45 – 3:45 pm, Rm 1A21
The Defender of the Universe returns to New York Comic Con! “Head Geek” Jeremy Corray hosts a panel including Bob Koplar from World Event Productions and Traci Todd from VIZ Media. Writer Brian “Smitty” Smith joins artist Jacob Chabot talking about their Voltron Force comics, and writer Brandon Thomas and artists N. Steven Harris and Craig Cermak preview new issues of the Voltron comic lines based on the classic series. Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich will hold a drawing for a giant Voltron Classics Black Lion, and there will be updates on the live action movie produced by Atlas Entertainment (The Dark Knight Rises), Relativity (Cowboys and Aliens, Immortals) and Kickstart Productions (Wanted).
MATTEL BOOTH EVENTS
MOTU Mini-Comic Signing: Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich & Tim Seeley
Friday, 10/11 at 11:00 – 12:00 pm
Our own Scott Neitlich, Mattel marketing manager (AKA “Toy Guru” from MattyCollector.com) and Tim Seely will be at the Mattel booth to hand out and personally sign copies of MOTU mini-comics for fans!
WWE® Autograph Signing: Dolph Ziggler™
Saturday, 10/13 at 2:00 – 3:00 pm
WWE® Superstar Dolph Ziggler™ will be at the Mattel booth to greet fans and sign autographs! Stop by for a chance to meet the bleached blond Superstar who battled seven other Superstars to capture the coveted Money in the Bank briefcase and the opportunity to score an illustrious WWE® title.
Temple of DarknessSorceress®
Here’s your chance to purchase the Temple of Darkness Sorceress® figure for $22! This special traveling figure has a new look that reflects her appearance in the vintage mini-comics featuring all white/silver deco and opening wings, and comes with the Zoar staff and a power orb holder. This figure is not included in any sub, and sold out at Power-Con. After NYCC the only opportunity to purchase this figure will be on MattyCollector.com. If you want this figure, make sure you head to the Mattel booth the minute you arrive at the show!
“There is no Dana, only Zuul!” It wouldn’t be New York without one of those pesky paranormals from Ghostbusters™ butting in, so we’ll have our 6” figure of Dana Barrett as Zuul available for $25. This figure features authentic, film-accurate sculpting right down to her golden gown, plus two interchangeable lower bodies so she can stand or, when she tires of waiting for the coming of Gozer, sit on the included bench display.
That’s it for now, but there’s going to be a ton going on at NYCC, and we’re ready to get our toy action on. See you at the Javits Center!