DC Entertainment is pulling out all the stops in 2016 to make Comic-Con International: San Diego an event to remember for the multitude of fans attending July 20-24. The greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains in comics and pop culture, the hottest artists and writers, exciting events and panels along with some of the most popular movie stars in Hollywood will all combine to make the DC booth (#1915) the place to be every day of the convention.
Comic-Con International: San Diego 2016 will be the launch pad for a yearlong celebration of DC’s famed Amazonian Super Hero. DC celebrates the 75th anniversary of Wonder Woman with a variety of activities commemorating her iconic evolution on and off the page. On Saturday, July 23 from 3:00 – 4:00pm in Room 6DE, fans will be treated to some of the creative talent at the heart of Wonder Woman’s past, present and future, along with a few surprise guests at the “Wonder Woman 75” panel.
Rare Wonder Woman costumes and props will be on display in the booth, including the original costume worn by Lynda Carter in the 1970s “Wonder Woman” television series as well as the costume donned by star Gal Gadot in the upcoming “Wonder Woman” 2017 feature film. Wonder Woman herself, Gal Gadot, will accompany her co-stars Chris Pine (Capt. Steve Trevor) and Connie Nielsen (Queen Hippolyta) to the DC booth for an autograph session, Saturday from 12:15 to 1:00pm. Wristbands for the Wonder Woman cast signing will be extremely limited and will be distributed beginning at 6am Saturday morning at the Sails Pavilion with the WB queue via lottery.
The excitement surrounding Wonder Woman’s 75th isn’t just limited to the show floor. Beginning Wednesday evening, fans will also have a one-of-a-kind opportunity to take a photo in the cockpit of Wonder Woman’s iconic invisible jet, located on the corner of Island and 6th, just outside the San Diego Convention Center in the Gaslamp district. Illuminating at night, this unique experience will also feature larger-than-life Wonder Woman art pieces being created live onsite, with art inspired by her history and upcoming film, by female artists throughout the weekend.
For fans that like to root for the bad guys, the “Worst Heroes Ever” will be in full effect at Comic-Con with a host of “Suicide Squad”-related activities. Throughout the weekend, the DC booth will feature costumes and props from the movie, in theaters August 5th. Comic fans will get a big dose of Suicide Squad, courtesy of the DC – Suicide Squad: Most Wanted panel on Friday from 11:15am-12:15pm in Room 6DE. The Harley Quinn team of Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner will be joined by artist Mauricet (HARLEY AND HER GANG OF HARLEYS), along with writer Rob Williams and legendary artist Jim Lee, the team bringing fans new adventures of these villains-turned-heroes in SUICIDE SQUAD: REBIRTH, on sale August 3rd.
On Saturday, fans will be lining up early to make sure they meet and get autographs from the cast of “Suicide Squad” when they make their appearance at the DC booth from 1:15 – 2:00pm. Cast members will include: Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Will Smith (Deadshot), Jared Leto (The Joker), Joel Kinnaman (Col. Rick Flag), Viola Davis (Amanda Waller), Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang), Jay Hernandez (El Diablo), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc), Scott Eastwood (Lieutenant GQ Edwards), Cara Delvingne (Enchantress), Adam Beach (Slipknot) and Karen Fukuhara (Katana). As with the “Wonder Woman” cast signing, wristbands will be extremely limited; they will be distributed Saturday morning beginning at 6am at the Sails Pavilion with the WB queue via lottery system.
Scheduled nearly every hour of the Con, the DC booth will also host an array of appearances and autograph sessions for some of the best artists and writers in comics including, but not limited to, Scott Snyder (ALL STAR BATMAN, AMERICAN VAMPIRE), Tom King (BATMAN, SHERIFF OF BABYLON), Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott (WONDER WOMAN), Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason (SUPERMAN), Hope Larson and Rafael Albuquerque (BATGIRL), Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti (HARLEY QUINN), Julie and Shawna Benson (BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY) and Dan Jurgens (ACTION COMICS, BATMAN BEYOND).
Ever wanted to “Be The Batman?” Then come to the DC booth for a hands-on demo of “Batman: Arkham VR,” the first virtual reality experience that allows players to put on the cape and cowl of Gotham’s Dark Knight like never before. From Rocksteady Studios, “Batman: Arkham VR” immerses players into the gritty world of Gotham City through the eyes of the World’s Greatest Detective. And if that’s not enough Batman, the booth with also feature a life-sized LEGO Batman statue. Demos for Batman: Arkham VR will also require wristbands, available at the Sails Pavilion beginning Thursday at 6am.
For fans of DC Super Hero Girls, it’s time once again to “Get Your Cape On” and mingle with the young heroes from “Super Hero High” in real life! The DC Super Hero Girls will be on hand to pose for pictures and give autographs to fans throughout the weekend. DC Super Hero Girls character Katana will also dazzle fans in the booth with her exhibitions of expert swordplay. Following the success of the New York Times best-selling original graphic novel DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: FINALS CRISIS, the heroes return in the upcoming original graphic novel DC SUPER HERO GIRLS Vol. 2: HITS & MYTHS and the original animated direct-to-DVD movie DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: HERO OF THE YEAR.
Any self respecting fan knows that no comic book convention is complete without cosplay, and the DC booth is the go-to spot for some awesome cosplay get-togethers every single day:
- Thursday, July 21, 2:30pm – DC Comics Bombshells cosplay celebration
- Friday, July 22, 5pm – Suicide Squad “Squad Up” cosplay celebration
- Location: Island and 6th Avenue, near Invisible Jet display
- Saturday, July 23, 5:00pm – Wonder Woman cosplay contest
- Sunday, July 24, 2:30pm – DC Super Hero Girls cosplay contest
All cosplayers who attend will be awarded a special custom DC Fans medal for participating (while supplies last).
The DC booth will also include a green screen where fans pose in backgrounds from their favorite DC comic characters, films and games, including the Suicide Squad movie, the Wonder Woman comic, DC REBIRTH, DC Super Hero Girls and the Injustice video game.
Fans will also be treated to a series of must-attend panels spotlighting DC’s iconic characters, and sneak peeks of yet-to-be released series. Highlights include:
- Fans jaws are still agape and minds blown from the biggest comics event of 2016: DC’s linewide REBIRTH relaunch! Join moderators Dan DiDio and Jim Lee along with some of the industry’s most creative talent to see what’s to come! (Saturday – 5:30, Room 6DE).
- Presented as “Comics for Dangerous Humans,” dive into the disruptive new pop-up imprint from My Chemical Romance front man and Eisner Award-winning writer Gerard Way, DC’s YOUNG ANIMAL. Joined by an experimental group of collaborators, Way will unleash a collection of bold new stories that will take the medium to places never before seen (Friday – 5:30, Room 5AB).
- After more than 75 years of stories, the Batman family of comics has never been hotter! Join the DC talent behind your favorite Dark Knight tales for an exclusive look at what’s next for the World’s Greatest Detective and his crime fighting colleagues! With Tom King (BATMAN), Scott Snyder (ALL STAR BATMAN), Julie and Shawna Benson (BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY) and James Tynion IV (DETECTIVE COMICS) among others, this is the best time to explore the gritty streets of Gotham City! Room: 6DE
- Be there as top talent from the genre-defying Vertigo imprint such as SUICIDERS: KINGS OF HELL.A. writer/artist Lee Bermejo, LUCIFER artist Lee Garbett and SHERIFF OF BABYLON writer Tom King discuss what’s to come in their current series (Thursday – 4:30, Room 8).
- Always the most hilarious panel at the Con, the MAD Magazine panel led by longtime editor John Ficarra and his “Usual Gang Of Idiots” including longtime artist Sergio Aragones and GOODNIGHT BATCAVE artist Tom Richmond will be one not to miss (Thursday – 6:00, Room 5AB).
- Highlighted by stunning new Wonder Woman 75th anniversary figures, the DC Collectibles panel will unveil their latest line of action figures, statues, props and more (Thursday – 10:00, Room 9).
- The Graphitti Designs booth #2314 will also once again carry highly collectible, exclusive variant comic books available for SDCC attendees only. All titles will be on sale beginning Wednesday Preview Night, July 20. DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #5 features an exclusive cover from BATGIRL artist Rafael Albuquerque and sells for $15 and is limited to two (2) copies per customer. Additional variants include BATMAN #1, WONDER WOMAN #1, and SUPERMAN #1 featuring art by Jim Lee and imprinted on silver foil, each selling for $10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 also receives the exclusive convention variant treatment, featuring cover art by Tony Daniel imprinted on silver foil and selling for $10.
Download the new DC All Access mobile app for a complete list of panels, behind-the-scenes coverage and in-depth interviews directly from DC’s web series, “DC All Access.” The app is available for free at the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
Artist Philip Tan (Batman and Robin, Green Lantern, Phantom Stranger) appears at Collector’s Paradise on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 from 6:00 till 8:00 PM to celebrate the release of SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1 from DC Comics!
319 S Arroyo Pkwy, Ste 4, Pasadena, California 91105
PalmCon has teamed up with the Muvico Parisian 20 & IMAX to give away TWO sets of FREE tickets to their screening of Batman: The Killing Joke! Head over to the #PalmCon site and enter to win your tickets!
This will be a one night only event at the Carmike Muvico Parisian 20 in City Place (downtown West Palm Beach) at 7:30 PM on July 25th! The Theater is located at 545 Hibiscus Street, West Palm Beach FL 33401.
As part of a special one-night-only deal, you can get a small popcorn and fountain soda for just $7.50 with your ticket. This event includes a special introduction from Mark Hamill, a never-before-seen documentary about his role, and a special behind-the-scenes look at how the Joker’s song and dance number was recreated for the film. The Killing Joke is based on the acclaimed DC graphic novel and includes the Joker’s origin story as a humble comedian, his fateful first encounter with Batman, and a prologue with Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. The movie stays true to the authentic tale that has held fans’ imaginations for nearly three decades.
Be among the first in the world to see the epic #1 New York Times best-selling graphic novel come alive on the big screen!
Galaxy of Comics proudly presents writer Lisa Yee signing her new book, Supergirl at Super Hero High, Saturday, July 9th, 2016 from 5:00 till 7:00 PM!
* Get your cape on with the DC Super Hero Girls—the unprecedented new Super Hero universe especially for girls! Supergirl is the new girl in school—and she just also happens to be the most powerful teenager in the galaxy! After losing her home planet of Krypton and everyone she knows, Supergirl has made a new home on Earth, but she’s isn’t so sure that Super Hero High School is the right place for her. Wonder Woman, other new friends, and a kindly librarian make her feel welcome, but breached inter-dimensional portals, invading alien armies, and bad dreams shake her confidence. It’s not easy being a superhero and a high school student all at once! Readers of all ages can fly high with the all-new adventures of Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, and some of the world’s most iconic female super heroes as high schoolers!
LISA YEE is the author of many popular middle grade books, including Wonder Woman at Super Hero High, Warp Speed, Millicent Min: Girl Genius as well as several American Girl books for young readers, and the YA novel The Kidney Hypothetical! Lisa has also hosted the 2013 Children’s Choice Book Awards and she has promised to stick around for the Girls’ Night Out we will be holding immediately after the signing!
Galaxy of Comics
17306 Saticoy Street, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Writer Tim Seeley (Suicide Squad, Grayson) appears at Aw Yeah Comics on Saturday, July 30, 2016 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM to sign DC Comics’ NIGHTWING #1!
Aw Yeah Comics
4933 Oakton Street, Skokie, IL 60077
Writer/artist Phil Hester appears at Kowabunga Comics on Saturday, July 2nd at 1:00 PM to celebrate the release of Deathstroke Annual #2!
Phillip Hester has been writing and drawing comics for nearly three decades, beginning while still a student at the University of Iowa. After a toiling in the world of black and white indie comics, he broke into the mainstream with a long run as artist of DC’s Swamp Thing with writer Mark Millar. At nearly the same time he wrote and drew the Eisner Award nominated series The Wretch. In 2001 Phil drew Kevin Smith’s revival of Green Arrow with long time inker Ande Parks, also for DC. He wrote the original graphic novel The Coffin with artist Mike Huddleston, which was optioned for a feature film by James Cameron. At Image Comics he created Firebreather with artist Andy Kuhn, which became an Emmy-winning animated television feature for Cartoon Network.
His work, as both artist and writer, has been featured in hundreds of comics from nearly every major American publisher and includes runs on such titles as The Darkness, Wonder Woman, Ant-Man, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Nightwing, Invincible Universe, Batman Beyond, The Flash: Season Zero, The Thrilling Adventure Hour: Beyond Belief, Deathstroke, and his current Image project Mythic with artist John McCrea. Phil lives in rural Iowa with his family.
102 N Main St, Oconomowoc, WI 53066
Annual Celebration for World’s Most Popular Super Hero Slated for September 17
DC Entertainment will join millions of fans in celebration of the pop culture phenomenon as Saturday, September 17th is officially announced as BATMAN DAY 2016.
Celebrating Batman’s endearing legacy with generations of fans, DC Entertainment will once again fete the iconic legend with festivities at thousands of comic book retailers, bookstores, schools and libraries across the country. Retail activities include free comic book giveaways and talent signings. Confirmed signing events feature blockbuster talent like Frank Miller, Scott Snyder, Tom King, James Tynion IV, and Greg Capullo with many more to be announced.
In addition to DC Entertainment, BATMAN DAY participating partners include many Warner Bros. divisions, as well as Warner Bros. Consumer Products licensees — Capstone Young Readers, Penguin Random House, Scholastic, DK Licensing, Bendon, and HarperCollins. These partnerships provide the unique opportunity for retail and digital promotion across various media in celebration of the Dark Knight.
The annual fan-favorite event, now in its third year, was first introduced to honor the iconic character’s 75th anniversary. Continuing the BATMAN DAY tradition, DC Entertainment will present Bat-centric promotions, fan giveaways and more, all to honor the character that has become a Super Hero to many generations and continues to inspire fans across the globe.
The official BATMAN DAY event kit will include activity sheets, trivia, and games and will be available for download on www.dccomics.com/batmandaykit.
Artist Liam Sharp appears at Escapist Comics on Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM to sign the first issue of the DC Rebirth’s WONDER WOMAN!
Liam Sharp is a British artist, writer and publisher. He made his debut in the late 1980s drawing Judge Dredd for 2000ad. He later moved to Marvel UK, where he drew the best-selling Marvel UK title ever, Death’s Head II. Thereafter he began working mainly in the United States on books as diverse as the X-Men, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Venom, Man-Thing (for Marvel Comics), Superman, Batman, and The Possessed (for DC Comics and Wildstorm), Spawn: The Dark Ages (for Todd McFarlane and Image) and Red Sonja for Dynamite comics.
3090 Claremont Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705
Artist Ethan Van Sciver will visit Midtown Comics Downtown to sign copies of DC Comics’ Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1 on Friday, July 15th at 6:30 PM!
“Superstar artist Ethan Van Sciver returns to the world of Green Lantern! In the absence of the Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro and his fear-inducing Yellow Lantern Corps patrol the universe as its sole protectors-but deep in space, a green light still burns. Harnessing the remainder of his will, Hal Jordan must become a one-man GL Corps to defeat his greatest foe and restore freedom to the cosmos.”
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
In celebration of the release of DARK NIGHT: A TRUE BATMAN STORY, Paul Dini (Co-Creator of Harley Quinn, Producer and writer of the Batman: The Animated Series) will appear in person for a public event at Comix Experience on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM.
This public event will be followed with an exclusive Q&A for the Graphic Novel Club (for members only!) where Paul will discuss the book, and his work with us. If you would like to participate in the meeting you can join at www.graphicnovelclub.com before 7/1/16.
305 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94117