July 28, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Gaming, Horror, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
Celebrity appearances, artist meet-and-greets, a film festival, a Cosplay costume contest, the first official after party and Cosplay Harbor Cruise are among many activities lined up for this year’s Boston Comic Con. Boston Comic Con will bring its first three-day convention to the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. In the seven years since its founding, Boston Comic Con has grown from a one-day show that attracted an estimated 900 comic book enthusiasts to last year’s record turnout of more than 23,000, which organizers expect to top this year.
“The community in Greater Boston that loves comic books and related television and film is tremendous and growing,” said Nick Kanieff, a founder of Boston Comic Con. “We are home to some of the industry’s most talented artists and devoted fans, all of which will join us in great numbers this August. Boston Comic Con has just enough of a celebrity touch to bring in ardent fans while still honoring the artists and writers who are the backbone of the industry.”
The 2014 Boston Comic Con will feature celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones”; John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and “Arrow”; Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy; James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel”; Katie Cassidy of “Arrow”; Eve Myles of “Torchwood”; Jewel Staite of “Firefly”; Sam Witwer of “Being Human”; and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC, one of the founding fathers of the hip hop and rap movement, who is producing his own comic about a rap superhero. Celebrities will also participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops, and signing autographs throughout the three-day convention.
Among the 200+ comic book creators taking part in the convention are well known artists such as artist Greg Capullo and writer Scott Snyder, who together produced legendary Batman story arcs as The Court of Owls, Death of the Family and Zero Year for DC Comics. Indie sensation Jeff Smith, creator of the fantasy epic Bone, makes rare appearance at this year’s convention. Also featured is artist Adam Kubert, best known for his work with Marvel Comics on Wolverine, Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and X-Men. He is both a graduate of and an instructor at the famed Kubert School, founded by his father, legendary artist Joe Kubert. Other creators include Skottie Young, whose current project, Rocket Raccoon ties in with Marvel’s summer blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy, fan-favorite Gail Simone, writer of Batgirl, Birds of Prey, and Wonder Woman, and Mark Waid who is the most prolific writer of popular characters such as Superman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
Participating Boston-area artists include husband and wife team Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb, Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Ming Doyle, Norman Lee, Sara Richard, and several others.
Boston Comic Con is especially proud of its showcase of 14 top women creators including: Christy Blanch, Danica Brine, Katie Cook, Danielle Corsetto, Ming Doyle, Dawn Griffin, Rebekah Isaacs, Shelli Paroline, Sara Richard, Gail Simone, Cat Staggs, Babs Tarr, Maris Wicks, and Chrissie Zullo.
“Boston Comic Con is at the forefront of supporting local artists, especially women creators. It is truly an organic, home-grown event that has gained popularity over the past few years,” said Kanieff, a Framingham resident who is also an avid collector. “We welcome everyone, from families with young children, to college students, to older comic book fans. There is something for everyone at Boston Comic Con.”
New This Year
The first Boston Comic Con Cosplay Harbor Cruise will take place on Saturday, August 9 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The cruise will be hosted by Ivy Doomkitty, international costume designer and cosplayer, and features noted cosplayers including Nicole Marie Jean, Destiny Nickelsen, and Bethany Maddock. After the harbor cruise, Boston Comic Con will host the official “after party” at Laugh Boston, at the Westin Waterfront Hotel. Also new this year, a limited number of tickets will be sold to allow early entry on the first day of Boston Comic Con, Friday, August 8 at 1 p.m., one hour before the general admission at 2 p.m.
Additionally, Marvel editor C.B. Cebulski will be on hand to provide portfolio reviews for aspiring comic artists. And this year’s exclusive t-shirt features Rocket Raccoon drawn by Guardians of the Galaxy artist Nick Bradshaw with colors by Rich Woodall.
“Not only is Boston Comic Con drawing interest from the area’s extensive comic book community, but it’s becoming a destination event that brings tourists to Boston,” said Kanieff. “The growing excitement around this convention demonstrates the strength and vibrancy of the creative community we have here in Boston and in the surrounding region.”
More information about events, artists and celebrity guests can be found on www.bostoncomiccon.com. General admission and VIP tickets are on sale now, as are tickets for celebrity photo ops. Boston Comic Con is also accepting entries for this year’s film festival.
For information on ticket sales please visit: www.bostoncomiccon.com.
DC Entertainment to Present Ultimate Collection of Panels and Signing Events from Comic Industry’s Biggest Stars at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014
Superstar Creative Team Geoff Johns and John Romita, Jr. Harness Their Talents For SUPERMAN
Grant Morrison To Unleash Brilliant, Highly Anticipated THE MULTIVERSITY Limited Series
Spotlight Shines On New Husband/Wife WONDER WOMAN Creative Team David and Meredith Finch
Comic book fans will cheer for DC Entertainment’s (DCE) list of all-star comic talent and must-attend panels scheduled for Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014. The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DCE’s impressive slate of events, announcements and giveaways is sure to thrill fans.
In addition to the milestone 75th anniversary of Batman, DCE will present an all-star line-up of industry icons who will reveal details on highly-anticipated new projects. The 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will serve as the hub for both signings and artist demos, and will be the go-to place for fans to interact with some of the best writers and artists in the business. For fans who can’t make the Con DCComics.com is the go-to place for behind the scenes coverage and in-depth interviews.
DCE has created a schedule filled with top panels giving fans an array of guest appearances, announcements, and exclusives.
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow – DCE Chief Creative Officer and groundbreaking comic writer Geoff Johns and acclaimed artist John Romita, Jr. will combine their luminary talents to present an all new era for SUPERMAN. Joined by Aaron Kuder (ACTION COMICS), Charles Soule (SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN) Ken Lashley (SUPERMAN DOOMED) and others, this exciting panel will explore what’s in store for the Man of Steel. Plus, don’t miss Johns, Romita Jr. and SUPERMAN inker Klaus Janson’s signing on Thursday from 6-7pm at the DCE booth (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). PanelSaturday 11:15am Room 6DE
- The Multiversity Enrollment – After months of anticipation, creative genius Grant Morrison will unveil his brilliantly intricate limited series THE MULTIVERSITY. Bringing together characters from 52 alternate Earths of the DC Multiverse, fans will finally get their chance to preview the groundbreaking series from one of the biggest names in the industry. Morrison will signing in the DCE booth on Thursday from 2-3pm (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). Panel Friday 3pm Room 6DE
- Champions Of Justice – The fate of DC Comics’ most famous heroine, WONDER WOMAN, will now rest with the real-life husband and wife creative team of writer Meredith Finch and artist David Finch. Take a look at their plans for the thrilling, action-packed series in this special, star–studded panel. An absolute highlight for comic fans, the event also features Geoff Johns (SUPERMAN) Jeff Lemire (FUTURES END), Charles Soule, Robert Venditti (THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN), and Van Jensen (GREEN LANTERN CORPS). PanelFriday 11:15am Room 6DE
- Vertigo: Defy Conventions – Dive into the genre-defying titles from Vertigo with Mark Buckingham on the final storyline of the long-running, fan-favorite series FABLES, the next installment in Neil Gaiman’s celebrated THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, Scott Snyder’s plans for the hugely popular AMERICAN VAMPIRE series, Tula Lotay on the newly announced, mind-bending mystery BODIES, and Lee Bermejo on his upcoming series SUICIDERS. Panel Thursday 6pm Room 5AB
- DC Digital: Download This! – An industry leader in digital comics, join some of the stars of DC Digital’s hottest series including director Kevin Smith and KROQ radio personality Ralph Garman on their new BATMAN ’66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET series, Marc Guggenheim on his smash hit ARROW: SEASON 2.5 series based on the fan-favorite TV show, Kyle Higgins on BATMAN BEYOND 2.0, Cat Staggs on the exciting SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN anthology, info on what’s to come within INFINITE CRISIS, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR 2, and more! Panel Thursday 2pm Room 6DE
- DC Comics – No Boundaries! – Brought to you by the superstar team of Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, HARLEY QUINN is set to be the belle of the Con with their special one-shot HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON. Plus, dive into the exciting adventures of NEW SUICIDE SQUAD with Sean Ryan, learn more about mysterious GRAYSON with Tim Seeley and Tom King, and find out what’s in store for TEEN TITANS.Panel Friday 4:15pm Room 6DE
- Mad About MAD – Meet the Usual Gang Of Idiots as MAD Magazine presents their latest spoofs that are sure to keep the crowds laughing! Panel Thursday 5:30pm Room 4
- Major signings – throughout the Con, DC Entertainment’s booth will host dozens of signings with key talent, including:
- Jim Lee (Thursday 10-11am, Friday 11-12pm, Saturday 6-7pm, Sunday 1-2pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Thursday 12:30-1:30pm, Friday 12:30-1:30pm, Saturday 11-12pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- And many more! Visit DCComics.com or download the DCE events app for a full panel schedule.
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide variety of items exclusively available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series. The Graphitti Designs booth (#2314) will feature variant editions of BATMAN #32, GRAYSON #1, SUPERMAN #32, and two versions of HARLEY QUINN INVADES COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL #1, as well as a JOKER: DEATH OF THE FAMILY mask and a Harley Quinn cross-body purse. DCE will also offer exclusive variants for the first time ever at Diamond retailers with a SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #47 comic and DC Collectibles’ BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY Harley Quinn statue.
Download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment signings, panels and stage events at San Diego Comic-Con.
J.H. Williams III appears at Barnes & Noble on Wednesday July 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM for Batman Day! The plan is to have some time for a Q and A along with the signing meet and greet.
Banres & Noble – Merced Marketplace
1720 West Olive Ave, Merced, CA 95348
Meet author Tom King at Friendly Neighborhood Comics on Saturday July 12th, 2014 from noon – 4:00 pm!
Tom King is the author of A Once Crowded Sky, a postmodern super hero novel named by USA Today as one of the best Graphic Novels of 2012. Prior to becoming a novelist, King served in the CIA as an operation officer in the Counterterrorism Center. While in college at Columbia University, King interned at Marvel and DC Comics. He lives in Washington DC with his wife and two children.
Friendly Neighborhood Comics
191 Mechanic Street (Route 140), Bellingham, MA 02019
WARNER BROS. TELEVISION AND DC ENTERTAINMENT JOIN FORCES TO PRESENT THE FIRST EVER WBTV/DC ENTERTAINMENT SATURDAY NIGHT, FEATURING THE WORLD PREMIERE OF GOTHAM AND MUCH MORE ON SATURDAY, JULY 26 AT COMIC-CON 2014
DC Comics Fans Get Ready for the Only Comic-Con Screening of Gotham, a Complete Pilot Screening of The Flash, Plus Exclusive Footage From Constantine and Season Three of Arrow
BURBANK, Calif. (June 30, 2014) — Get ready for a spectacular Saturday night at Comic-Con 2014, courtesy of Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) and DC Entertainment (DCE). For the first time ever at SDCC, WBTV and DCE will present a three-hour special event on Saturday night, July 26, designed specifically for DC Comics fans and featuring some of DC Comics’ greatest characters. Kicking off the exclusive evening is the world premiere public screening of the highly anticipated new drama series Gotham (the only screening of Gotham at this year’s Comic-Con), followed by a screening of the complete pilot of new action-drama The Flash, and exclusive video presentations from returning hit Arrow and new thriller Constantine. Cast members and producers from all four shows will make special appearances throughout the night.
- Gotham World Premiere: For the first time ever, DC Comics fans will enter the dangerous and compelling world of Gotham with a screening of the pilot episode, followed by an appearance by the cast and producers.
- The Flash Pilot Screening: Following a full-length screening of The Flash pilot, cast and producers will stop running long enough to take the stage.
- Constantine Exclusive Footage: The enigmatic John Constantine makes his television debut at Comic-Con with footage from the upcoming series, and fans will be treated to a visit from the cast and creative team.
- Arrow Season Three: Arrow returns to Comic-Con with never-before-seen teaser footage from the upcoming third season followed by cast and producers taking on fans’ most pointed questions.
Additional WBTV Comic-Con 2014 panels will be announced in the near future. For additional information about WBTV activities at Comic-Con, please follow us on Twitter at @warnerbrostv and join in the conversation by using hashtag #WBSDCC, or visit http://comiccon.thewb.com.
Before there was Batman, there was Gotham. The origin story of some of DC Comics greatest Super-Villains and vigilantes, this one hour drama follows Detective Jim Gordon’s rise to power in a dangerously corrupt city that would spawn iconic characters such as The Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler and a young Bruce Wayne. Airing Mondays at 8/7c this fall on FOX, Gotham stars Ben McKenzie (Southland), Donal Logue (Vikings), Sean Pertwee (Elementary), Robin Lord Taylor (The Walking Dead), Erin Richards (Being Human), David Mazouz (Touch), Camren Bicondova, Zabryna Guevara (Burn Notice), Cory Michael Smith (Camp X-Ray), Victoria Cartagena (The Good Wife), Andrew Stewart-Jones (Person of Interest) and Jada Pinkett Smith (The Matrix films). Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome) wrote the Gotham pilot, which was directed by Danny Cannon (Nikita). Heller, Cannon and John Stephens (Gossip Girl) are executive producers of the series, which is based on the characters from DC Comics and is a production of Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GOTHAMonFOX, and follow the show on Twitter at @Gotham.
About The Flash
This lightning-paced super hero drama follows the high-speed adventures of the Fastest Man Alive. After an unexpected accident with a Particle Accelerator, police scientist and everyday guy Barry Allen finds himself suddenly charged with the ability to move at incredible speeds, which he uses to help the people of Central City. Premiering October 7 and airing Tuesdays at 8/7c on The CW, The Flash stars Grant Gustin (Arrow, Glee), Candice Patton (The Game), Rick Cosnett (The Vampire Diaries), Danielle Panabaker (Friday the 13th), Carlos Valdes, with Tom Cavanagh (Ed, Scrubs) and Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order). John Wesley Shipp (The Flash ) guest stars. Greg Berlanti (Arrow, Green Lantern), Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, Fringe) and DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns wrote The Flash pilot, which was directed by David Nutter (Arrow, Game of Thrones, Smallville). Berlanti, Kreisberg, Nutter and Sarah Schechter (upcoming Peter Pan feature film) are executive producers of The Flash, which is based upon the characters from DC Comics and is produced by Bonanza Productions, Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of The Flash on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CWTheFlash, and follow the show on Twitter at @CW_TheFlash.
John Constantine is a man waging war against the forces of darkness — from both within himself and the outside world. An irreverent con-man and occult expert, he doesn’t come down on the side of either good or evil…but ultimately might be the only thing defending us against the dark forces from beyond. Premiering October 24, Constantine will air Fridays at 10/9c on NBC and stars Matt Ryan (The Tudors) as John Constantine, Charles Halford (True Detective) as Chas and Harold Perrineau (Lost) as Manny. Based on the characters from DC Comics and produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television, Constantine is executive produced by Daniel Cerone (Dexter, The Mentalist) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight trilogy). Neil Marshall (The Descent) directed the pilot from a teleplay by Cerone and story by Cerone & Goyer. Become a fan of Constantine at www.facebook.com/Constantine and follow the show on Twitter at @NBCConstantine.
After being gone for five years, during which time he suffered unimaginable ordeals, billionaire Oliver Queen returned home to Starling City with a mysterious agenda and a new set of skills that he uses in a war on crime in this hard-hitting action series. Returning for its third season October 8, Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW. Starring Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, with John Barrowman and Paul Blackthorne, Arrow was developed and is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg. Based upon the characters from DC Comics, Arrow is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CWArrow, and follow the show on Twitter at @CW_Arrow.
Artist John Romita Jr. and *just added* inker Klaus Janson appears at Midtown Comics Downtown on Thursday July 17th from 6:00 – 8:00 pm to celebrate his first-ever work for DC Comics, SUPERMAN #32! Midtown Comics will also be selling a number of incentive covers on the day of the signing!
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
Writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Amanda Conner appear at Yancy Street Comics from 6pm-8pm on Wednesday July 16th!
Harley Quinn Invades SDCC #1! The title says it all! Our favorite little troublemaker, Harley Quinn, takes on Comic-Con International: San Diego in this over the top issue! She’ll have to battle long lines, crazy crowds and the dread con crud, all in the quest to get her own comic book published!
Yancy Street Comics
9409 US 19 (inside Gulfview Square Mall), Port Richey, FL 34668
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED
Writer Tom King (Nightwing, A Once Crowded Sky) appear at Third Eye Comics on Saturday, July 5th from 11:00am – 1:00pm to celebrate the launch of Grayson #1!
Third Eye Comics
2027-A West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
Peter Tomasi appears at Barnes & Noble to sign Batman and Robin Vol. 4: Requiem for Damian (The New 52) on Saturday June 28, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
Rainbow Promenade, 2191 N Rainbow Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89108
Celebrate 75 years of Batman with over 20 artists’ interpretations of Bob Kane and Bill Finger’s legendary creation as well as his infamous Rogues Gallery.
OPENING PARTY WILL BE FRIDAY MAY 23 from 8-10pm
Art on view from May 23rd – end of June
auction to follow in July
Ramona Fradon (Batman, Aquaman)
Christos Gage (yep, the writer) (Buffy, The Hulk)
Tim Bradstreet (Punisher, Vertigo)
Bob McCleod (DC, Marvel)
a limited edition Berni Wrightson print
Mark Grammel (Kolchak the Night Stalker, Moonstone)
Lindsay & Alex (Baman Piderman)
Veronica Fish (Pirates of Mars)
Andy Fish (Dracula)
Andy Hirsch (Regular Show, Darn Varmints)
and lots more!
Friendly Neighborhood Comics
191 Mechanic Street (Route 140), Bellingham, MA 02019