WonderCon officially kicks off in Anaheim, CA tomorrow!
If you’re heading to the pop culture event this weekend, stop by the DC Entertainment Booth (#401) to say hello! Be sure to attend the fantastic panels and creator signings we’ll be hosting throughout the weekend. And don’t forget to pick up some exclusives.
Take a look at the panel and signing schedule* below, so you don’t miss a thing. Or download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment happenings.
Hope to see you there!
Friday, April 18TH
12:30-1:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: TEEN TITANS GO! (Cast Signing)
1:00-2:00pm DC Entertainment – ALL ACCESS
Panelist(s): Mike Cotton, Shelly Bond, Jim Chadwick
Moderator(s): John Cunningham
Talent: Jim Lee
At DC Entertainment, there’s never been a better time to be a fan! Come by for unfiltered access to all things DC Entertainment! Find out what some of DC’s biggest names have to share from behind-the-scenes! Joining the All-Media party will be some of the industry’s top talents, so don’t miss out!
3:30-4:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: SON OF BATMAN (Cast Signing)
4:00-5:00pm DC COMICS – Batman
Moderator(s): Larry Ganem
Talent: Marc Andreyko, Brian Buccellato, Francis Manapul, Gail Simone
Batman’s crusade against the corrupt and evil has permeated across the DC Universe and beyond! Join some of the hottest creators who are behind the Dark Knight for an exclusive look at what’s in store for the World’s Greatest Detective! There has never been a better time to walk the streets of Gotham City!
5:00-6:00pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Tony Daniel, Cliff Chiang, Gail Simone
6:00-7:00pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Robert Venditti, Brett Booth
6:00-8:00pm World Premiere: SON OF BATMAN
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, DC Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Animation present the World Premiere of Son of Batman, the landmark 20th entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies. In the film, Batman learns he has a son, Damian-and to further complicate matters, the mother is Talia al Ghul, daughter of one of Batman’s most dreaded enemies, Ra’s al Ghul. When the odds quickly turn against Batman and Damian, Batman must become both father and mentor to the aggressive, agile new Robin. Together they form an uneasy alliance to try and thwart the criminal enterprise of Deathstroke and his army of ninja man-bats before there are international consequences. Be among the first to see this new film, then stay for a star-studded panel led by the voice of Batman, Jason O’Mara (Terra Nova, Life on Mars), producer James Tucker (Justice League: War), director Ethan Spaulding (The Simpsons, Avatar: The Last Airbender), dialogue director Andrea Romano (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns), character designer Phil Bourassa (Justice League: War), and some special guests. Based on Grant Morrison’s famed DC storyline, Son of Batman arrives May 6 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Digital HD.
Saturday, April 19th
10:30-11:30am – Creator Signing
Talent: Bernard Chang, Brett Booth
12:00-1:00pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato
1:30-2:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Cliff Chiang, Kyle Higgins
3:00-4:00pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Marv Wolfman, Yanick Paquette
3:00-4:00pm DC COMICS – THE NEW 52
Panelist(s): Mike Cotton
Moderator(s): John Cunningham
Talent: Brett Booth, Bernard Chang, Cliff Chiang, Tony Daniel, Francis Manapul, Robert Venditti
New and veteran fans alike are welcomed to be a part of history as the DC team and top-notch talent discuss the books that are shaping this new era of DC Comics! Don’t miss this exclusive look inside the hottest comic line in decades!
4:00-5:00pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Gail Simone
4:00-5:00pm Batman 75th Anniversary
Moderator(s): John Cunningham
Talent: Kevin Conroy, Ralph Garman, Peter Girardi, Jim Lee, Kevin Smith, Bruce Timm
Throughout his 75 year history, the Dark Knight has become one of the most popular and widely recognized super heroes in the world. From comics to TV to movies to video games, the World’s Greatest Detective has permeated all entertainment mediums and beyond. Come by for a look at Batman’s rich history and what the future holds this pop culture icon!
5:00-6:00pm DC Comics – Green Lantern: A Universe at War!
Moderator(s): Larry Ganem
Talent: Bernard Chang, Robert Venditti
The cosmic uprising has begun and it is the Green Lantern Corps vs the entire universe! Come by as the creators behind the Corps shed light on the events that have sent shock waves across the different Lantern Corps and beyond!
5:30-6:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Jim Lee, Chris Conroy
Sunday, April 20th
11:30am-12:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Brian Buccellato, Francis Manapul
2:00-3:00pm DC ENTERTAINMENT 101: Essentials
Panelist(s): Mike Cotton
Moderator(s): John Cunningham
DC Comics’ backlist is full of the most exciting stories ever told! New fans and veteran fans alike are welcome for an in-depth tutorial on the essential stories and products that make up DC Entertainment’s rich history. Room 300AB
2:30-3:30pm – Creator Signing
Talent: Robert Venditti, Bernard Chang
3:30-4:30pm ART MASTERS: DRAWING DC
Moderator(s): Larry Ganem
Talent: Tony Daniel, Francis Manapul, Yanick Paquette
DC Entertainment is proud to have some of the most immensely talented artists working in comics today. Join us for a unique look into their visual approach in shaping some of your favorite books!
WonderCon takes place April 18-20 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
*Signing schedule and panelists are subject to change.
All-Star Batman 75th Anniversary Panel includes Jim Lee, Kevin Smith, Kevin Conroy,
Bruce Timm , Ralph Garman, and Peter Girardi
DC Entertainment (DCE) will mark the 75th anniversary of its iconic Batman character at WonderCon 2014 with an impressive line-up of can’t-miss reveals and exclusives sure to thrill fans of the world’s most popular Super Hero.
A special highlight of DCE’s WonderCon activities will be the Batman 75th Anniversary Panel scheduled for Saturday, April 19 at 4 pm. The exclusive event brings together a stunning collection of superstar talent heavily influenced by the legendary Dark Knight and his rich 75-year history. DCE co-publisher and renowned Batman artist Jim Lee will join the all-star celebrity duo and writers of the forthcoming BATMAN ’66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET mini-series Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats) and Ralph Garman (Family Guy, KROQ radio personality), the legendary voice of Batman Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Arkham Knight), Peter Girardi, SVP – Creative Affairs, Warner Bros Animation and groundbreaking Batman animator Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) in a fascinating discussion about the celebrated Super Hero. The must-see panel will also feature an exclusive premiere of an animated short from Darwyn Cooke, inspired by the Batman Beyond series.
In addition, DCE will join Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation for special events including:
- The world premiere of Son of Batman, the landmark 20th entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Taking place Friday at 6:00 pm, the screening precedes a star-studded panel including the voice of Batman, Jason O’Mara (Terra Nova, Life on Mars).
- A special screening of an all-new episode of Teen Titans Go! Scheduled for Friday at 2:00 pm, go behind the scenes of the fan-favorite series with a panel featuring the show’s producers and members of the voice cast.
- Son of Batman and Teen Titans Go! select voice cast signings will be held at the DCE booth (wristbands required). The Teen Titans Go! signing will take place on Friday at 1:30pm and signings for Son of Batman will take place on Friday at 3:30pm.
Fans attending WonderCon also have the chance to pick-up three exclusive variant comic books at the Graphitti Designs booth (#301) including:
- The debut issue of the new blockbuster weekly BATMAN: ETERNAL #1
- The latest “Riddler” themed cover of BATMAN #29 in a location-specific hue of blue from artist Greg Capullo
- The must-own debut issue of THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE #1 featuring an exclusive 3-D motion cover, never before seen and only available at the Con
Home to the most talented writers and artists in the business, DCE’s interactive 1200 square foot booth (#401) will serve as a hub for its stellar collection of appearances, announcements and events at WonderCon 2014.
Can’t make the Con? DC Entertainment’s website is the go-to place for behind the scenes coverage and in-depth interviews. Also, look out for a WonderCon 2014 special edition of DC All Access webseries premiering on Tuesday, April 22 at 10am PST.
Comics creator Jeff Lemire appears at Comics and More on SATURDAY, APRIL 26 from noon till 3:00 pm! He will be on hand to sign copies of the first issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, featuring a new Canadian version of the Justice League and the first appearance of the brand-new, teenage, Cree superhero EQUINOX!
Lemire says on his blog, “This will be my only Toronto-area signing for the comic. I will be signing and giving away 5 limited edition blank variant covers with sketches of Justice League characters by me! Copies of all of other books will be for sale, but stock is limited. I will also have original art form Trillium, Animal Man and Sweet Tooth available.”
Comics and More
1325 Danforth Ave, Toronto, ON M4J 1M8, Canada
A Super Hero For Every Generation
Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment Celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary
New Batman 75th Commemorative Logo Unveiled
To mark the milestone 75th anniversary of DC Comics’ Batman, Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have revealed plans for a year-long celebration befitting the world’s most popular Super Hero. Highlights of the anniversary program, which starts today, include a new commemorative 75th anniversary Batman logo and an exclusive “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit, featuring 20 contemporary artists’ interpretation of The Dark Knight’s iconic cowl headpiece and cape from the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight videogame. There will also be 75th anniversary-related activities across all of Warner Bros. Entertainment throughout the year.
First appearing in the comic book Detective Comics #27, which hit newsstands on March 30, 1939, featuring artwork by Bob Kane and a script by Bill Finger, Batman emerged from the shadows to become the world’s most popular Super Hero and dominate all media. In feature films, TV shows, radio, video games, publishing and merchandise, this most human of Super Heroes has battled some of fiction’s greatest villains using his intellect, cunning and an arsenal of gadgets to further his quest for justice.
“Batman is an incredibly important property with multi-generational appeal across all of the Studio’s businesses, and we’re proud to celebrate this milestone anniversary,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “From billion-dollar blockbuster films to TV, home entertainment, video games and consumer products, The Dark Knight continues to resonate with audiences worldwide and rightfully deserves his place as a global pop culture icon for the ages.”
Batman is the single most successful Super Hero film franchise in history and there have been more theatrical movies released based on Batman than any other comic book character. In video games, the Batman Arkham franchise is also the most successful Super Hero game concept ever. Batman consistently breaks records in every incarnation of his character and remains the gold standard by which all other comic book sales are measured.
“Batman is one of the greatest characters ever created, in comics or elsewhere, and even after 75 years he continues to wildly fascinate fans. He is an integral part of pop culture and has successfully captured the imagination of the entire world,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment and President & Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The origin of Batman, Bruce Wayne and the famous citizens of Gotham are legendary and likely a story you know inside out, even if you’ve never picked up a comic book in your life, and that speaks volumes to the character’s immense popularity and the constructs of the original mythology.”
The first published adventure of The Bat-Man (as he was then known) was in the May 1939 issue of Detective Comics #27, conceived of and drawn by a 22-year-old Kane with his frequent collaborator, Bill Finger, scripting the story. The character was so successful, that one year later the first comic book devoted exclusively to the Caped Crusader’s adventures, Batman #1, hit newsstands. In that issue, Batman battled The Joker and Catwoman for the first time.
Now, DC Entertainment and the Studio’s various divisions, including Pictures, Television, Animation, Interactive Entertainment, Home Entertainment and Consumer Products, will mark this extraordinary 75th anniversary with a range of highly anticipated events and products.
The new commemorative logo, also released today across social media and websites, takes its cue from the famed Bat symbol, and features block-style lettering of “75 Years.” The mark will be rolled out on Batman-related promotions, products and initiatives.
Key activities planned for the Batman 75th anniversary celebration include:
- DC Entertainment – DC Entertainment has an action-packed year filled with new Batman titles, commemorative issues and variant covers, including the recently released special edition of Detective Comics #27 commemorating Batman’s first appearance in the book in 1939, the new weekly series Batman Eternal launching April 9, and upcoming exclusive Batman variant covers planned for San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Batman Day – DC Entertainment is also partnering with thousands of comic retailers, book stores and libraries for “Batman Day” on Wednesday, July 23. Each location will host a Batman 75th anniversary celebration and offer fans a free, special edition Batman comic.
- Interactive Entertainment – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has invited celebrated fashion designer Asher Levine to create a cape and cowl based on the Batsuit of the recently announced Batman: Arkham Knight videogame developed by Rocksteady Studios. Favorite contemporary artists will have the opportunity to use the replicas as a blank canvas to produce their own, original interpretations of Batman’s iconic attire for an all new “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit that will be showcased at San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Home Entertainment – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will bring fans an array of new Batman titles throughout the year, including the highly anticipated release of the Batman ’66 TV series for the first time ever. Other new releases include animated films Son of Batman (May 6) and Assault on Arkham (summer 2014). Additionally, a 25th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman feature film will be released in the fall.
- Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.
- Television –Warner Bros. Television is in production on the pilot episode of the highly anticipated Gotham, a new one-hour drama for FOX which explores the origin stories of eventual police commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Detective Gordon (Ben McKenzie – Southland) will encounter a familiar cast of characters – including a young Bruce Wayne – as he fights to keep the city safe. Executive producer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome) wrote the pilot, which is being directed by executive producer Danny Cannon (CSI series, Nikita)
- Pictures – As Batman’s 75th anniversary is celebrated in 2014, Warner Bros. Pictures will begin production of Zack Snyder’s untitled Superman/Batman film starring Henry Cavill, who reprises his role as Superman/Clark Kent, and Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film, slated for release summer 2016, will bring the two most iconic Super Heroes of all time together for the first time on the big screen.
- Consumer Products – Warner Bros. Consumer Products has partnered with an array of licensees to celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary through special edition and limited-release products. From the classic 1960s TV series to modern day comics, Batman’s presence will be larger than ever in celebration of his legacy through everything from toys to t-shirts.
- DCComics.com – For the latest information and exclusive content celebrating Batman’s 75th anniversary, visit www.Batman75.com. The dedicated section on DC Comics’ website launches today with the Batman 75 Sweepstakes which offers one lucky fan a one-of-a-kind prize package.
Brian Azzarello, the incredible scribe of such comics as 100 BULLETS, LOVELESS, BATMAN, SUPERMAN, JOKER, and LUTHOR original graphic novels, as well as the current WONDER WOMAN and upcoming FUTURE’S END titles, appears at Aw Yeah Comics for a signing on Saturday, March 29th from noon till 2:00 pm!
Aw Yeah Comics
4933 Oakton Street, Skokie, IL 60077
Writers Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV appear at Midtown Comics Downtown on Friday April 11th at 6:00 pm for a special signing of Batman Eternal #1!
Purchase of Batman Eternal #1 is required. Limit of two items signed per customer.
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
*UPDATE* Super Exciting News! Declan Shalvey & Jordie Bellaire of the new Moon Knight are going to Join Jeff Parker and Jonathan Case for next Wednesday’s Batman 66 signing. That’s Batman and Moon Knight together under one roof!!!
Cosmic Monkey Comics
5335 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213
According to The Hollywood Reporter, regular writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti will write the one-shot, but no artist has been announced.
HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON!
Fan-favorite Harley Quinn might have launched a new monthly series and become a best seller since that debut, but now she’s got her sights on something bigger—San Diego’s famed Comic Convention!
Today, at DCE’s Retailer Roadshow in Florida, the writers behind the fun and humorous series, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, were on hand to announce an exciting new HARLEY QUINN one-shot.
Scheduled for release in July, HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON arrives just in time for SDCC!
Writer/artist Francis Manapul (The Flash, Legion of Super-Heroes) appears at The Silver Snail on Wednesday April 2nd from noon till 2:00 pm to sign DETECTIVE COMICS #30!
The Silver Snail
329 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1R7
The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum unveiled a special new display of rare Superman artwork created by legendary comic book artist Al Plastino featuring President John F. Kennedy. The story, told in ten hand-drawn story boards, was written in collaboration with the Kennedy White House in an effort to promote the President’s initiative encouraging physical fitness. The never-before-displayed original artwork will be shown in the Library’s museum through June 2014 with potential to be extended.
In 1963, the Kennedy White House launched a highly innovative marketing effort in collaboration with DC Comics (then called National Periodical Publications), the publisher of Superman, to create a story that would promote the President’s Council on Physical Fitness. A hallmark of the Kennedy Administration, the Council established physical fitness curriculum for the country and initiated a national publicity campaign on the topic. In “Superman’s Mission for President Kennedy” JFK calls upon Superman to help inspire the nation to exercise, eat better, and get stronger.
“The alliance between the Kennedy White House and the Superman comic strip designed to promote President Kennedy’s physical fitness initiative demonstrates how innovative the administration was in communicating and advancing key initiatives,” said Tom Putnam, Director of the Presidential Library. “Thanks to the Superman artist, Al Plastino, and the generous donation of DC Comics, we are pleased that this artwork will be available for the public to view for the very first time.”
The Superman piece was in production when President Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963, and the project was set aside. Eight months later, with the encouragement of President Lyndon Johnson, the story was published as a special tribute to President Kennedy. The final page of the published version states that the story’s original artwork would be donated to the Kennedy Library, which was then in the planning stages.
Al Plastino, who drew Superman for 20 years, took special pride in his drawings for this story. In late 2013, nearly a half a century later, when the artist learned that his original artwork was slated for auction, his family contacted the Kennedy Library to see if it had any record of the material ever being part of its holdings. A thorough search showed no evidence that the artwork had ever been offered to the Library or was ever a part of its collections.
In December 2013, just a month after Mr. Plastino passed away, DC Comics acquired the original drawings and offered them to the Kennedy Library, where they have become part of the permanent collection.
Upon securing the artwork, DC Comics issued a statement saying, “As a tribute to honor him and preserve his artistic legacy, DC Entertainment is pleased to confirm that we have acquired the art and will be donating it to the JFK Library, fulfilling Plastino’s longtime hope for the story, which he often pointed to as one of his most important artistic contributions.”
For more information, please contact the JFK Library at their website: www.jfklibrary.org
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
Columbia Point, Boston, MA 02125
Toll free (866) JFK-1960