Comments Off on Scene on the Web Weekly: August 12-18, 2013
Florida Supercon adds John Romita Sr. and Tom DeFalco, New York Comic Con adds Ryan North and Kate Beaton, and Wizard World Chicago Comic Con and D23 Expo wrap up.
Comments Off on D23 Expo 2013 Plans Include Marvel’s First Appearance in the DCP Showcase
Disney Consumer Products Takes Fans on Journey from Sketch to Shelf at Disney’s D23 Expo 2013
Disney’s Ultimate Fans to Enjoy Access to Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Content and Merchandise
D23 Expo 2013
GLENDALE, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Disney Consumer Products (DCP) will give Disney’s most loyal fans an up close look at an extensive collection of interactive experiences and merchandise that celebrate Disney, Marvel and Star Wars timeless characters during the bi-annual D23 Expo, the ultimate Disney fan event. Held at the Anaheim Convention Center from Aug. 9-11, 2013, Disney fans will have the chance to follow their favorite products from “sketch to shelf” and learn how Disney Consumer Products extends storytelling from character and content extension to product development through featured discussions, art and sculptures and final product displays.
While at the D23 Expo fans will also be able to immerse themselves in exhibits, hands-on demonstrations, special signing opportunities and exclusive product offerings at the Disney Consumer Products Pavilion.
Disney Consumer Products’ exciting lineup of events and attractions includes:
Celebrating Disney, Marvel and Star Wars
- Disney Junior Fun Spot – Get a sneak peek of brand-new toys before they hit store shelves this fall and enjoy special giveaways while supplies last.
- Disney Princess Ariel-Themed Sephora Pop-up Shop – Sephora Pro artists and manicurists will give attendees the royal treatment with products from the Disney Ariel Collection by Sephora. The collection will be available for purchase along with an exclusive-to-D23 Expo-only Swarovski crystal-encrusted Ariel compact mirror. Attendees will receive starfish hair clips with every complimentary beauty service each day, while supplies last.
- The Mystical World of Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Frozen – See feature animation art concepts, storyboards, unreleased film clips, and products from the mystical world of Frozen, the daring comedy-adventure from Walt Disney Animation Studios releasing in November 2013.
- Steamboat Willie Redux – Celebrate the history and timelessness of your favorite character from the pioneering 1928 cartoon short,Steamboat Willie. Using the original story and characters as a template, each scene has been graphically re-interpreted by Disney artists and designers in a phenomenally fun mash-up tribute to Mickey Mouse.
- Spider-Man’s Ultimate Innovation – Come check out products on the cutting edge of product innovation and design featuring one of the most popular Super Heroes in the world, Spider-Man, in Marvel’s first-ever appearance in the DCP showcase at the D23 Expo.
- Star Wars at D23 Expo! – For the first time at the D23 Expo Star Wars fans can have access to experiences created for them by Lucasfilm and Disney. Darth Vader: The Evolution of a Villain, located in the DCP pavilion, showcases the development of the iconic villain from early concepts to striking realization. Crash Course in the Force: Star Wars Saga 101, presented by Lucasfilm’s resident authority Pablo Hidalgo in Stage 23, will give Star Wars newbies and experts alike a thorough grounding in all matters of the Force and the Star Wars legacy.
Fans will have the opportunity to participate in other immersive experiences, including: Find Your Voice with The Little Mermaid, a karaoke experience celebrating the music from the film; Journey through the Art of Tink, a gallery where Disney artists, designers, illustrators, and animators from around the world have re-imagined our magical, sassy and feisty fairy, Tinker Bell; What Makes a Puppet a Muppet?, which will help fans learn what it takes to create a Muppets “plush” and then create your own; Take a Ride with Disney•Pixar’s World of Cars and Disney’s Planes, which explains how the highly collectible diecast vehicles are made; Assembling The Avengers Franchise, an exclusive tour through the history of The Avengers and the chance to see the latest The Avengers products; and I heart Mickey & Minnie, a rarely seen collection of beloved Mickey Mouse toys, apparel, and accessories from past decades, along with a showcase of Minnie Mouse-inspired fashions from around the globe.
D23 Members attending the Expo are invited to attend the Disney Store signature store opening ceremony to “Unlock Imagination”, each morning at 9 a.m. at the Convention Center, when the D23 Expo floor opens for members. The 1,800-square-foot Disney Store retail space will be packed with the latest D23 Expo merchandise created by Disney Store and will feature guest artist signings. In addition, guests will find an array of products not yet available to the public, including a Disney∙Pixar capsule collection, which will bring together multiple characters from Disney∙Pixar’s cherished portfolio of films for the first time ever.
Presentations from Disney Store on the Disney Consumer Products Workshop Stage include:
- Disney Fairytale Designer Collection – Guest artist signing with Gerald Mendez and Jessica Fuchs (Friday, Aug. 9 – 10:15-11:15 a.m.)
- The Art of Ariel – Special guest artist signing with Gerald Mendez, Enrique Pita, Quincy Sutton, and Steve Thompson (Saturday, Aug. 10 – 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Artist Series Two – On Sunday, Disney Store will launch Artist Series Two, a collection of merchandise with artwork created by Disney Store artists and will host a guest artist signing on stage with Robert Farrell, John T. Quinn III, Jeff Shelly, and Becky Wong (Saturday, Aug. 10 – 2 p.m.-3 p.m.)
Disney Publishing will take fans into the world of books, apps and everything in between by showcasing how artists, storytelling and innovative content combined creates stories full of magic and adventure. Guests can participate in live readings with Fairy Godmother on Friday, watch artists behind popular Disney stories sketch live on Saturday and get their hair styled like a Disney Princess by Sephora on Sunday with the help of the Disney Princess Royal Salon app. New books and never-before-seen lithographs featuring Peter Pan, Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty will be available for sale inside the booth.
Disney Publishing’s Stage 28 presentations and signings include:
- Ridley Pearson and The Kingdom Keepers Insider App Quest – New York Times best-selling author Ridley Pearson embarks on a journey to write the seventh and final book in the Kingdom Keepers series—only this time, his readers are helping him write it! Join the author as he reveals how deception and betrayal rock the Kingdom Keepers’ world as the merciless group of Overtakers (Disney villains) stage an unexpected comeback (Presentation: Friday, Aug. 9 – 12 p.m.-1 p.m. Signing: 1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m., Talent Round Up).
- Dave Bossert Remembers Roy E. Disney with special guest Roy P. Disney – Dave Bossert and Roy P. Disney will share stories, drawings and candid photos found in Bossert’s new book Remembering Roy E. Disney: Memories and Photos of a Storied Life(Presentation: Friday, Aug. 9 – 1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Signing: 2:45 – 3:45, The Dream Store).
- Disney Imagineering Legend Marty Sklar Presents…Dream It! Do It!: My Half-Century Creating Disney’s Magic Kingdoms – Disney Legend Marty Sklar will take guests through a presentation based on his new memoir—one that recounts his epic Disney adventure, including working as Walt’s literary right-hand man for the Disney Parks, writing a film expressing Walt’s philosophy for the Walt Disney World project and Epcot and opening nine of the 11 Disney parks around the world (Presentation: Friday, Aug. 9 – 3 p.m.-4 p.m. Signing: 4:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Talent Round Up).
- The Evolution of Tinker Bell with Author Mindy Johnson – Join author, Mindy Johnson, for a sneak-peek into some of the never-before-seen images behind the development of everyone’s favorite fairy, Tinker Bell. Following this appearance Mindy will be signing her new book, Tinker Bell: An Evolution, at The Dream Store (Center Stage Presentation: Saturday, August 10 – 11:00-11:20 a.m. Signing: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., The Dream Store).
Tickets and pricing information for D23 Expo 2013 are available at D23Expo.com. Admission includes access to all experiences and entertainment at the D23 Expo and can be purchased for single days or for the full three days of festivities. Members of D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans will receive a discount on admission, as well as early entry to each day of the D23 Expo for themselves and their guests. More details about D23 Expo entertainment, events, and special guests will be announced in the coming weeks. Fans can keep up with all the news by visiting D23Expo.com or by following “DisneyD23″ on Twitter and Facebook.
About D23 Expo 2013
The D23 Expo—The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—brings the entire world of Disney under one roof, providing attendees with unprecedented access to Disney films, television, and theme parks. For the latest D23 Expo 2013 news, visit www.D23Expo.com. To be part of the D23 Expo conversation, make sure to follow @DisneyD23 and tag your tweets with #D23Expo.
The name “D23” pays homage to the exciting journey that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood. D23 is the first official club for fans in Disney’s nearly 90-year history. D23 gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication Disney twenty-three; a rich website at D23.com; and member-exclusive discounts and special events for D23 Members throughout the year, highlighted by the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California, August 9–11, 2013.
For logos, imagery and credential information, please visit www.D23MediaNet.com.
About Disney Consumer Products
Disney Consumer Products (DCP) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) that delivers innovative and engaging product experiences across thousands of categories from toys and apparel to books and fine art. As the world’s largest licensor, DCP inspires the imaginations of people around the world by bringing the magic of Disney into consumers’ homes with products they can enjoy year-round. DCP is comprised of three business units: Licensing, Publishing and Disney Store. The Licensing business is aligned around five strategic brand priorities: Disney Media, Classics & Entertainment, Disney & Pixar Animation Studios, Disney Princess & Disney Fairies, Lucasfilm and Marvel. Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) is the world’s largest publisher of children’s books, magazines, and digital products and also includes an English language learning business, consisting of more than 40 Disney English learning centers across China and a supplemental learning book program. DPW’s growing library of digital products includes best-selling eBook titles and original apps that leverage Disney content in innovative ways. The Disney Store retail chain operates across North America, Europe, and Japan with more than 350 stores worldwide and is known for providing consumers with high-quality, unique products. Disney’s official shopping portals online are www.DisneyStore.com and www.DisneyStore.co.uk. For more information, please visit Disney Consumer Products www.DisneyConsumerProducts.com or follow us at www.YouTube.com/DisneyLiving, www.Facebook.com/DisneyLiving,www.Twitter.com/DisneyLiving and http://www.Pinterest.com/DisneyLiving.
April 18, 2013 by Brian Pate
Filed under California, Collectibles, Comic Books, Comic-Con International, Convention News, Movies, New York, New York Comic Con, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Top Stories
Comments Off on Hallmark Announces Ornaments for SDCC, NYCC, and the D23 Expo 2013
Hallmark Introduces 2013 Event-Exclusive Keepsake Ornaments
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (March 27, 2013) — Hallmark continues its participation at the nation’s largest pop culture fan conventions with four Keepsake Ornaments exclusively developed for 2013 events.
Three ornament designs will be sold in limited quantities at Comic-Con International, to be held July 18-21 in San Diego, Calif., and at New York Comic Con, set for October 10-13 in New York City:
- Wrath of the Rancor™ – Created especially for event sales, this ornament captures Luke Skywalker’s struggle with the savage creature dwelling below Jabba the Hutt’s palace as seen in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi™.
- U.S.S. Kelvin™ – As featured in the 2009 Star Trek movie, this Federation starship exclusive is a “battle-scarred” variant of the same Keepsake Ornament available starting in July in Hallmark Gold Crown® stores.
- Man of Steel – Inspired by this summer’s big-screen adventure of the same name, Superman is the subject of this event-exclusive Keepsake Ornament. Details and images of this ornament will be announced later this year.
At the D23 Expo 2013, slated for Aug. 9-11 in Anaheim, Calif., Hallmark will offer limited quantities of one design:
- Cinderella’s Castle – Featuring battery-operated light and sound, this exclusive Keepsake Ornament will boast a different look from the ornament available starting in July in Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
More information about Hallmark’s plans for these fan events will be announced closer to the respective dates.
Starting April 15, the 2013 Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Dream Book showing this year’s entire line of Keepsake Ornaments will be available in Hallmark Gold Crown® stores and online at Hallmark.com.
About Hallmark Cards, Inc.
Hallmark makes the world a more caring place by helping people express what’s in their hearts and spend time together – a privilege few other companies in the world enjoy. Hallmark greeting cards and other products are found in more than 39,000 retail outlets in the United States, including the network of flagship Hallmark Gold Crown® stores. The brand also reaches people online at Hallmark.com and on television through Hallmark Hall of Fame original movies and cable’s top-rated Hallmark Channel. Worldwide, Hallmark offers products in more than 30 languages available in 100 countries. This privately held company is based in Kansas City, Mo., and is led by the third generation of the founding Hall family. Visit http://corporate.hallmark.com for more details.
Comments Off on Marvel at SDCC 2013 with Captain America 2, Thor 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy?
Although there has been speculation as to whether or not Marvel Studios will participate in this year’s Comic-Con International in San Diego with parent company Disney’s D23 Expo set for August this year, elmayimbe from Latino Review says they will indeed be putting on a presentation in Hall H come July 20:
— elmayimbe (@elmayimbe) March 19, 2013
— elmayimbe (@elmayimbe) March 19, 2013
— elmayimbe (@elmayimbe) March 19, 2013
— elmayimbe (@elmayimbe) March 19, 2013
Comments Off on Scene on Video: The Avengers Assemble at the D23 Expo 2011
Marvel brought out most of the Avengers cast to appear at parent company Disney’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, California.
Comments Off on Marvel to Assemble the Avengers at Disney’s 2011 D23 Expo
Marvel and The Avengers Assemble at D23 2011
Marvel Studios Pres Kevin Feige assembles Avengers cast members and Marvel CCO Joe Quesada holds special panel
Disney’s D23 Expo, the company’s epic fan event, will be held from August 19-21 at the Anaheim Convention Center, and this year looks to be simply Marvelous with the House of Ideas featuring prominently during two major Expo events.
On Saturday, August 20, Marvel Studios President, Production, Kevin Feige joins Rich Ross, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios; Sean Bailey, President, production, The Walt Disney Studios; and John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios on stage at the D23 Arena for the Expo’s Walt Disney Studios presentation. Feige, will be on hand along with an awesome assemblage of cast members from “Marvel’s The Avengers.”
But that’s not all, True Believers! On Sunday, August 21, Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada brings you inside the House of Ideas with a very special Marvel presentation and Q&A that provides a behind-the-scenes look at Marvel and its iconic super heroes. Join him for an exclusive and unprecedented experience that will take you through the evolution of Marvel from its first comic book in 1939 to its current position as one of the most important creative forces in the world.
D23 will be an amazing experience and we hope you can attend! But if you can’t, don’t worry–we’ll bring the Marvel events directly to you! Marvel.com Editorial Director Agent M will be there, posting tweets and photos, and hosting liveblogs of both Marvel sessions! Sign up for both liveblogs below or on Marvel’s Facebook page, and follow both @Marvel and @Agent_M on Twitter for all the action!
Comments Off on D23 Guest Announcements for 2011
Coolwaters Productions has announced they are bringing a series of celebrity guests to the 2011 Disney D23 Expo, with a changing line-up for fans to meet each day, August 19-21, 2011 in Anaheim, Calif.
Celebrities will sign autographs and take pictures (for a fee) and share event-exclusive photos from the Disney Archives. In attendance will be stars from TRON, Tron Legacy, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Star Wars, and more.
Friday, Aug. 19 – “Star Wars” and “MARVEL” Day
In celebration of the re-opening of Star Tours 3D, Star Wars actor Billy Dee Williams – aka Lando Calrissian – will make an appearance. He’ll be signing from 2-4 pm only.
Friday at the D23 Expo will also be “MARVEL” Day featuring Doug Jones (The Silver Surfer, Billy from Hocus Pocus) & Matthew Wolf (voice of THOR in the cartoon series). Both will be signing from 10 – 4pm.
Saturday, Aug. 20 – “TRON” Day
Saturday will feature cast members from both “Tron” films. From the original TRON, Bruce Boxleitner (TRON himself) will be signing from 11 – 1pm only. Also appearing will be Cindy Morgan (Yori) and Jackson Bostwick (Lead Sentry Guard) will be signing from 10 – 4pm. From the new Tron: Legacy Anis Cheurfa (Rinzler) and Rob Daly (Lead Sentry Guard) will be appearing and signing from 10-4pm as well.
Sunday, Aug. 21 – “Pirates of the Caribbean” Day
Sunday will feature cast members from from “Curse of the Black Pearl” and “At World’s End” signing from 10-4pm. The “Pirates” celebrities in attendance will be Isaac Singleton Jr. (Bo’sun from “Black Pearl”), Treva Etienne (Koehler from “Black Pearl”), Vince Lozano (Jacoby from “Black Pearl”) and Tyler Tuione (Boiler Room Attendant from “World’s End”).
Celebrities will appear at Coolwaters Productions‘ booth at the Disney D23 Expo, where the company will also be selling D23 Club Member Exclusives available only at the event and limited in edition size.