Alex Ross will be signing and promoting his new book Rough Justice with Chicago Comics on June 5th from 3pm to 5pm.
From the sensational, award-winning artist of the bestselling Mythology: his never-before-seen DC Comics sketchbook.
Here is a behind-the-scenes look at the stunning black-and-white drawings of the DC characters you loved from Mythology: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Black Canary, and many more. All of Alex Ross’s extraordinary, hyper-realistic paintings start as pencil on paper, and some of them never get beyond that stage. None of these hundreds of graphite sketches has ever been published before, and most of them will make their only published appearance in Rough Justice.
In 2008 Ross became the first cover artist in DC history to work simultaneously on the monthly Superman and Batman titles. All of the designs he created for an entire year–even those that did not make the final cut–are included here. And in an interview with Chip Kidd, Ross reveals his process and how these drawings translate into the finished paintings.
Rough Justice reveals the brilliance and brawn of Alex Ross’s draftsmanship: the foundation of his dazzling images.
Chicago Comics, 3244 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60657-1602
Becky Cloonan (Demo, Pixu)!
Michael Kupperman (Tales Designed To Thrizzle)!
Jeffrey Brown (Clumsy, Mini-Sulk)!
THE BIGGEST EVENT YOU’VE EVER SEEN (on March 6th)!
Challengers and Chicago Comics are pleased to bring you STRANGE TALES SATURDAY: A full-day, two-store celebration of the new Strange Tales hardcover from Marvel. Your bestest day ever kicks off at Challengers at 1pm, with a one-hour Panel Q+A featuring all three creators. Then it’s a signing with Michael, Becky and Jeffrey at Challengers from 2pm-4pm. BUT IT DOESN’T STOP THERE! The fun moves over to Chicago Comics at 6pm, with another two-hour signing with Mr. Kupperman, Ms. Cloonan and Mr. Brown, followed by a “will wreck your Sunday” AFTERPARTY at 8pm.
Should be an amazing day of comics, conversation, celebration and commuting. One note, though. Purchase of a Strange Tales hardcover from EITHER store the week of signing (with receipt as proof) is required to attend the signing. You’re welcome to bring MORE items to get signed (and we’ll have other books if you need ‘em), but you will be required to purchase a copy of the STRANGE TALES hardcover at either Challengers or Chicago Comics, and if you get it before the event, just bring your receipt with you. Cool? Thanks!
THIS JUST IN: Paul Hornschemeier joins the signing!!
March 6, 2010 ~ 1:00 – 4:00pm
Challengers Comics + Conversation, 1845 N. Western Ave. 2R, Chicago, IL 60647
March 6, 2010 ~ 6:00 – 8:00pm
Chicago Comics – 3244 N. Clark St. Chicago, Il. 60657
C2E2 AND NYCC STAFF HIT THE ROAD FOR HOLIDAY TOUR!
Meet and Greet the C2E2 & NYCC Teams at Comic Shops in New York and Chicago
Norwalk, CT, December 8, 2009: Organizers of the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) and New York Comic Con (NYCC) have announced that they will be hitting the road this month to visit comic book retailers and fans in Chicago and New York to spread holiday cheer. The staff of C2E2 & NYCC will be taking to the streets, meeting, greeting, and giving away presents to fans at comic shops all month long. The tour begins in New York City tomorrow – Wednesday, December 9th – and will extend through Wednesday, December 23rd. Officials note that one big reason for the trip – aside from giving away presents – is to meet with fans in order to hear their ideas and to find out what fans want to see in 2010.
“We want to reach out to our community of supporters as much as possible to get the pulse of who and what they want to see at C2E2 and NYCC in 2010,” notes Lance Fensterman, Group Vice President and Show Manager for both C2E2 and NYCC. “At the same time, we want to have some fun, give out some presents, as well as spread the word about C2E2 and NYCC. This is a great way of accomplishing all these goals! We are looking forward to a great road trip.”
Staff officials note that the full C2E2 and NYCC teams will be participating in the events, with Show Manager Lance Fensterman joined by various faces from programming, marketing, and sales. Every stop will have different team members in attendance. In both New York and Chicago, the staff members will be giving away movies, posters, and soundtracks from Magnolia Pictures and Magnet Releasing, as well as raffling off toys from Diamond Select and Mezco. Of course, it wouldn’t be the holidays without candy canes and assorted stocking stuffers, which NYCC and C2E2 staff will be handing out at all their stops. Additionally, in Chicago, the shops the staff will visit will be the very first place to get physical C2E2 tickets and limited edition C2E2 Alex Ross posters. A twitter scavenger hunt will be organized through downtown Chicago, and the staff will also be raffling off a C2E2 VIP package.
The location and dates for the Holiday Tour are:
NEW YORK CITY
Wednesday, Dec 9th:
New York, NY 10003
3 PM to 6 PM
Thursday, Dec 17th:
Midtown Comics – Times Square
200 W 40th St
New York, NY 10018
12 PM to 3 PM
Wednesday, Dec 23rd:
Jim Hanley’s Universe
325 New Dorp Lane
Staten Island, NY
12 PM to 4 PM
Tuesday, Dec 15th:
1845 N Western Ave 2R
Chicago, IL 60647
4 PM to 6 PM
Wednesday, Dec 16th:
Graham Crackers – Chicago Loop
77 E. Madison St
Chicago, IL 60602
12 PM to 2 PM
3244 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60657
4 PM to 6 PM
606 Davis St
Evanston, IL 60546
4 PM to 6 PM
ABOUT REED EXHIBITIONS POP CULTURE GROUP:
The Pop Culture Group at Reed Exhibitions owns and operates the New York Comic Con (NYCC), the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), and the New York Anime Festival (NYAF). New York Comic Con was launched in 2006 and quickly became a dominant presence in the pop culture world of public events. In 2009, 452 companies exhibited at NYCC for a total of 84,000 square feet of paid exhibit space, and it has been ranked by Crain’s New York Business as the second-largest annual event in NYC. C2E2, which will debut April 16 – 18 at Chicago’s McCormick Place Convention Center, is modeled after NYCC and will provide fans the opportunity to meet and greet their favorite writers, creators, and artists, as well as to see, hear and learn about the latest and greatest in comics, graphic novels, anime, manga, video games, toys, movies, and television. The Pop Culture Group also operates the recently-launched UFC Fan Expo in partnership with the UFC – the world’s leading professional mixed martial arts organization – and it formed a strategic partnership with Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) in 2008 and will work closely with PAX on the launch of PAX East in Boston in 2010.
Josh Neufeld has announced an extensive book tour for his graphic novel A.D.: After the Deluge.
- Wednesday, August 19: I commemorate A.D.’s hardcover release with a presentation and signing in Austin, Texas, @ BookPeople. 603 N. Lamar, Austin, 7pm.
- Thursday, August 20: A.D. presentation & signing @ Domy Books in Houston, Texas. 1709 Westheimer, Houston, 7:00 pm. This event will be taped by Book TV!
- Friday, August 21: A.D. hits New Orleans. Release party with me and some of the book’s subjects, live and in person! Plus an art show, music, and refreshments. The Canary Collective, 329 Julia Street, New Orleans, 6pm.
- Saturday, August 22: Signing @ Maple Street Book Shop, 7523 Maple Street, New Orleans. 1pm.
- Saturday, August 22: Signing @ Octavia Books, 513 Octavia Street, New Orleans. 3:30 pm.
- Sunday, August 23: Signing @ Beth’s Books, 2700 Chartres Street, New Orleans, 1pm.
- Tuesday, August 25: A.D.’s New York release party @ Idlewild Books, co-sponsored by SMITH magazine and Teachers & Writers Collaborative. Live music by Mary McBride, refreshments, and an art auction to benefit New Orleans relief organizations. 12 West 19th St., New York City, 7pm.
- Friday, August 28: A.D. presentation and signing @ The Book Cellar, in Chicago. 4736-38 North Lincoln Ave., Chicago, 7pm.
- Saturday, August 29: Katrina’s fourth anniversary. I will be doing an author coffee @ Writers Workspace Chicago. 5443 N. Broadway St., Chicago, 11am.
- Saturday, August 29: Signing @ Chicago Comics, 3244 N Clark Street, Chicago, 3 pm.
- Tuesday, September 8: Presentation & signing @ Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline, Massachusetts, 7pm.
- Wednesday, September 9: Signing @ Million Year Picnic, 99 Mt. Auburn Street, Cambridge, Mass., 1 pm.
- Wednesday, September 16: Pantheon editor Lisa Weinert, SMITH comics editor Jeff Newelt, and I discuss the evolution of A.D. from web to print. McNally Jackson Books, 52 Prince Street, New York City, 7pm.
- September 24: Presentation & signing @ Bergen Street Comics, 470 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, 7pm.
- September 26–27: A.D. hits D.C. for the annual Small Press Expo (SPX). Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, 5701 Marinelli Road, North Bethesda, Maryland.
- October 8–11: I will be a guest of Portland’s Wordstock Literary Festival, “the largest celebration of literature and literacy in the Pacific Northwest.” Oregon Convention Center, Portland, Oregon.
- November 14–15: A.D. heads south again for The Miami Book Fair International.
Chicago Comics, 3244 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60657
Chicago Comics, 3244 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60657