Comments Off on CA – Scott Pilgrim Reunion
Director Edgar Wright appears with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jason Schwartzman, and Scott Pilgrim creator Bryan Lee O’Malley at the Egyptian Theatre on Wednesday May 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm for a screening of Scott Pilgrim vs the World as part of Entertainment Weekly’s Cape Town Film Festival. Get tickets ($11)
Wright also hosts a screening of Shaun of the Dead at 7:30 pm. Get tickets ($11)
6712 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028
Comments Off on TCAF 2013 Announces New Featured Guests + More
TCAF, The Toronto Comic Arts Festival, has already got fans around the world buzzing in anticipation of the Festival’s 10th Anniversary, this May 11th and 12th! The announcement of exhibitors, guests, and programming was met with widespread excitement as TCAF will play host to some of the greatest comics creators working in the medium today, including Pulitzer Prize winner Art Spiegelman, and internationally acclaimed comics auteurs Taiyo Matsumoto (Japan) and Blutch (France) amongst many others!
TCAF 2013 today officially announces additional acclaimed authors from across Canada and around the world, important new graphic novels debuting at the festival, and the continuation of outreach programs designed to educate and inform about the medium of comics art.
First, TCAF is proud to welcome new Featured Guests:
- Bill Amend: Creator of the widely syndicated Foxtrot comic strip, and the new AAAAA! Foxtrot graphic novel collections from Andrews McMeel. (USA)
- David B.: Author of Epileptic, co-founder of L’Association. Attending in support of Black Paths from publisher SelfMadeHero. (France)
- Chihoi: Exciting, young talent from Hong Kong. Debuting his first the first ever English version of his work, The Library from publisher Conundrum Press. (Hong Kong)
- Glyn Dillon: Appearing in support of the critically-acclaimed The Nao of Brown,from publisher SelfMadeHero. (UK)
- Michael Kupperman: Hilarious surrealist cartoonist, creator of Snake’n’Bacon. Touring in support of Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol 2 from publisher Fantagraphics Books. (USA)
- Bryan Lee O’Malley: Creator of the Scott Pilgrim series, will be debuting Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness Hardcover Color Edition from publisher Oni Press (Canada)
- Michel Rabagliati: Acclaimed Quebec author of the semi-autobiographical and bestselling Paul series. Debuting Paul Joins the Scouts from Conundrum Press. (Canada)
- Judith Vanistendael: Author of Dance by the Light of the Moon. Debuting When David Lost his Voice from publisher SelfMadeHero. (Belgium)
These eight cartoonists join a fantastic and diverse array of Canadian and international cartoonists who will make up the 2013 Festival.
Joining our previously announced, stellar roster of exhibitors are Scott Chantler (Canada), Murilo Martins (Brazil), Inés Estrada (Mexico), Josh Neufeld (USA), Francisco López (Argentina), Kevin Cannon (USA), and Tim Sievert (USA). A full list of exhibitors can be found at http://torontocomics.com/
UK publisher SelfMadeHero will be making some North American debuts at the festival, with English translations of Black Paths by David B., and When David Lost His Voice byJudith Vanistendael.
Conundrum Press is debuting the English translation of Michel Rabagliati’s Paul Joins the Scouts, and announcing the launch of their Conundrum International Imprint withChihoi’s The Library.
Oni Press has chosen to debut the new color hardcover edition of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim Volume 3: Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness at TCAF 2013.
Koyama Press’ recently announced Spring/Summer lineup features some impressive TCAF debuts: Very Casual by Michael Deforge, Journal by Julie Delporte, andEverything Takes Forever by Victor Kerlow
All debut books can be found at http://torontocomics.com/
Librarian and Educator Day: TCAF will be holding a full-day of programming geared towards librarians and educators on Friday, May 10th, from 8:30am to 5pm at Toronto Reference Library, in The Bram and Bluma Appel Salon. This follows a successful trial run of this date in 2012, and will feature librarians, publishers, and authors, sharing information and developing skills related to comics in public, academic, and school libraries and classrooms. More information will be released the second week of March.
Comics Creator Skills and Development Day: TCAF will be holding a full day of skills-building workshops for comics creators on Friday, May 10th. As most comics creators exhibiting at TCAF do not get the opportunity to attend festival panels and other programming, this will offer a rare opportunity for creators to share and develop skills related to their profession. More information will be released at the beginning of April.
Over the next several months, TCAF will announce additional Featured Guests from Canada and around the world, details of programming and related events, and a full run-down of all that’s in store at the 2013 Festival. We will be sending PR for all events, but be sure to check the TCAF Website and social media for up-to-the-minute updates!
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival would not be possible without the assistance of our sponsors and partners, including presenting sponsor Toronto Public Library and retail sponsor The Beguiling Books & Art.
TCAF would like to recognize the efforts of the following organization in planning TCAF on an ongoing basis: The French Consulate in Toronto, The Japan Foundation, The Italian Cultural Institute, NORLA (Norwegian Literature Abroad), The Flemish Literature Fund, and the Australia Council for the Arts
In addition, TCAF would like to thank publishers Drawn & Quarterly, VIZ Media LLC., OWLkids, Conundrum Press, Fantagraphics, Oni Press, Picturebox Inc., Random House Canada, SelfMade Hero, Scholastic Canada, Topatoco, and First Second for their assistance.
Lastly, TCAF is grateful for the financial support of the Toronto Arts Council.
Sponsorship opportunities for TCAF 2013 are still available, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
All general press inquiries, interview and press accreditation requests should be submitted to: email@example.com.
FEATURED GUEST BIOGRAPHIES:
Bill Amend is the cartoonist behind the comic strip FoxTrot, and has been at it for almost 25 years. He was named Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year by the National Cartoonists Society in 2007.
David B. is a French comic book artist and writer, widely regarded for the book Epileptic. In 1990, he co-founded the independent publisher L’Association, which became a major force in French small-press comics. (France)
Chihoi is a self-taught artist who has been releasing comics since 1996. His work has been translated into Italian, French, and now English with the debut of The Library. This works also marks the beginning of the Conundrum International Imprint. (Hong Kong)
Glyn Dillon has returned to comics after a lengthy hiatus from comics with the critically-acclaimed graphic novel The Nao of Brown. His work has appeared in Deadline Magazine, Shade the Changing Man, and an episode of Sandman. He is attending TCAF with his publisher, SelfMadeHero. (UK)
Michael Kupperman is an American comic artist and humorist whose words and pictures have appeared in places ranging from the New Yorker to Saturday Night Live. He has written four books and illustrated many more. He is touring in support of Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol 2. (USA)
Bryan Lee O’Malley, is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling, hometown hero and creator of the Scott Pilgrim series of comics, which has been adapted into both a video game and a movie. He will be debuting Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness Hardcover Color Edition (Canada)
Michel Rabagliati is the award-winning artist and author of the semi-autobiographicalPaul series (Paul in the Country, Paul Moves Out, Paul Has a Summer Job, Paul Goes Fishing, The Song of Roland), depicting life in Quebec. Rabagliati will be debuting the latest in the series, Pauls Joins the Scouts. (Canada)
Judith Vanistendael will be debuting When David Lost his Voice with UK publisher SelfMadeHero. She holds several art degrees. Her semi-autobiographical book, Dance by the Light of the Moon was nominated for two awards at Angouleme, including the grand prize. (Belgium)
For a full, up-to date exhibitor list including full biographies and artwork, please visithttp://torontocomics.com/
Comments Off on TX – Scott Pilgrim vs Texas
Bryan Lee O’Malley’s first-ever Texas signing takes place at on Friday, February 15th! Time and details are still TBA. There will be a costume contest.
Also, each person is limited to one signed item. There will be no exceptions to this because of time constraints. If you’re bringing an item from home, it MUST be checked in with an Austin Books employee as you enter the store.
Comments Off on UK – Scott Pilgrim vs London
Bryan Lee O’Malley and Hope Larson sign at Gosh! Comics on Friday December 7, 2012 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm!
The last time we had Bryan Lee O’Malley in our shop was just before he got all gussied up for the red carpet premiere of Scott Pilgrim. That was two years ago so it’s about time we had him back — he still hasn’t seen our fancy new shop! This time he’s joined at the signing table by his phenomenally talented wife, Hope Larson, so you’re getting two great creators for the price of one signing line. It’s all happening on Friday the 7th of December, from 5pm to 7pm and you are invited. Find out who borrowed your Scott Pilgrims, ring them up and demand them back. You need to bring these tea-spattered and much-loved volumes along to Gosh! Comics and you can tell them we said so. But! If you’re new to the world of Larson and O’Malley and have no need to make demanding phonecalls, perhaps you would like to purchase some of these on the day instead:
From the Larson shelf you can have Gray Horses, her first book after the web-syndicated Salamander Dream (which is sadly unavailable), Chiggers, and it’s spiritual successor Mercury. Her latest book is a comics adaptaion of Madeline L’Engle‘s 1962 science-fiction novel, A Wrinkle in Time.
And from O’Malley you can have Lost at Sea, a road trip story from 2003, and all six Scott Pilgrim volumes. And! If you already own all the Scott Pilgrim volumes you might also be tempted at the last minute when you see the new colour hardcover editions — volumes 1 and 2 for £18.99 a pop.
If you can’t make it on the day and would like to request a signed book then send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll sort it out for you.
1 Berwick Street, SoHo, London W1F0DR
Comments Off on UK – Scott Pilgrim vs Nottingham
Bryan Lee O’Malley and Hope Larson sign at Page 45 on Sunday 9th December from 1:00 pm till 4:00 pm! Details at the link!
9 Market Street, Nottingham NG1 6HY
Comments Off on CA – The Fogelnest Files LIVE
Jake Fogelnest hosts a live podcast with special guests Bryan Lee O’Malley, James Urbaniak, and Jonah Ray at Meltdown Comics on Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 7:00pm!
Tickets: $8 in advance, $10 at the door Tickets available -> HERE
7522 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
The Beguiling Books & Art is pleased to announce that it will once again be returning to The San Diego Comic-Con to sell a truly outstanding collection of illustrations and original comic book artwork on behalf of its represented artists. The Beguiling’s Peter Birkemoe will be on hand and exhibiting in a small corner of booth #1629, owned by venerable Canadian publisher Drawn & Quarterly, from Preview Night, Wednesday July 11th, through Sunday, July 15th.
The Beguiling represents original art by some of art comics’ greatest names at their online art store, including D&Q cartoonists Kevin Huizenga (Gloriana), Anders Nilsen (Big Questions), and Seth (Palookaville), and comics superstars Jeff Lemire (Essex County), Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba (Casanova), and Bryan Lee O’Malley (Scott Pilgrim). The Beguiling will have over 400 pieces of original art on hand by 26 different artists at San Diego this year. Previews of most pages available online now at http://www.
Highlights of this year’s mix of comics art and illustration include:
– The Beguiling proudly announces that it will begin selling original art work from creators Pascal Girard, Matt Kindt, and Shintaro Kago! Girard is the author of the recently released graphic novel The Reunion from Drawn & Quarterly, and pages from that work and other illustrations will be on hand. Matt Kindt is the author of the graphic novels Super Spy, The Tooth, and 3:Story. His current series is MIND MGMT, an ongoing comic from Dark Horse, and art will be on hand from these and other series’! Kago is a renowned Ero-guro manga artist in Japan, and his work includes truly unique formalist experiments (and some very disturbing imagery), and has been praised by sources as diverse as Scott McCloud and Vice Magazine.
– A selection of pages from recent Drawn & Quarterly graphic novel releases, including pages from Kevin Huizenga’s Gloriana HC and The Wild Kingdom HC, Brian Ralph’s Cave-In, and Anders Nilsen’s Eisner Award nominated graphic novel Big Questions.
– Dozens of new, never-before offered pages by artist Farel Dalrymple. Including new pages from Dalrymple’s work on the series’ Prophet, Fantastic Four, Omega The Unknown, Vice Magazine, and more! So new these aren’t even on our website yet!
– Dozens of new pages by Norwegian artist Jason, from across his many popular graphic novels.
– All of the “new-since-last-Comic-Con” artwork by artists Gabriel Ba, Jeffrey Brown, Sammy Harkham, Jeff Lemire, Kagan McLeod, Fabio Moon, Marco Rudy, Maurice Vellekoop, and Zach Worton. All of these fine cartoonists have provided The Beguiling with new artwork since exhibiting at Comic-Con 2011, from across their many projects. Highlights include Jeff Lemire’s Sweeth Tooth, and the complete artwork (!) for Maurice Vellekoop’s The World of Gloria Badcock.
– A selection of quality originals by Rafael Albuquerque, Becky Cloonan, Jordan Crane, David Heatley, Miriam Katin, Jason Lutes, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Paul Pope, Michel Rabagliati, Seth, Jay Stephens, and Chip Zdarsky. With over 5,000 pieces of original art represented by The Beguiling, a selection of the best and most interesting pieces by these creators will be available for sale in San Diego.
Hate paying for shipping? If you will be at the San Diego Comic-Con and are interested in purchasing a specific piece of art from our website, we will happily bring it to the show for you. If you’d like us to bring a specific piece from our website to take a look at, please contact us at mail at beguiling dot com. Unfortunately we are not “holding” art for people unless they have purchased it outright, but we will try to accommodate all requests.
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, The Beguiling is a book store and original art dealer in Toronto, Canada. We represent original art sales from over three dozen comics creators and illustrators from around the world. Almost all of the original art that The Beguiling represents is consigned by the artists, ensuring we are able to offer the widest possible selection of material and that the artists get the largest possible chunk of the proceeds. To see our collection of original art, visit us online at http://www.
The 2012 Toronto Comic Arts Festival announces its first guests, including Alison Bechdel, Jeff Smith, Kate Beaton, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Jason, Gabriel Bá & Fábio Moon, and more! They’ve also unveiled this year’s poster illustrated by Ba & Moon.
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival is back for another triumphant year on the first weekend in May, returning to the Toronto Reference Library & The Appel Salon for its fourth consecutive year. Last year TCAF (as it is affectionately known) welcomed more than 15,000 patrons at its various venues and events around Toronto during the festival weekend, and 2012 is expected to be TCAF’s biggest and best edition yet. Over 300 international cartoonists are on the schedule, representing more than a dozen countries, confirming TCAF as the preeminent celebration of comics and graphic novels in Canada, and one of the most celebrated literary comics events in the world.
TCAF 2012 will include a who’s-who of comics and graphic novels, including headline guests Jeff Smith (Bone), Alison Bechdel (Fun Home), and Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon (Daytripper). In addition TCAF 2012 will see the debut of many new milestone graphic novels from our guests, including Bechdel’s Are You My Mother?, and Derf’s My Friend Dahmer amongst countless others!
Jeff Smith returns to TCAF to celebrate a major milestone: the 20th Anniversary of his landmark creation Bone, the beloved Young Adult fantasy epic with more than 1 million copies in print. Smith is also near the conclusion of his newest work, RASL, a sci-fi noir series currently in development as a feature film by “Sherlock Holmes” producer Lionel Wigram.
Alison Bechdel brings her eagerly-anticipated new Are You My Mother? to her TCAF debut; the new graphic novel is the follow-up to her 2006 New York Times bestseller Fun Home. Bechdel is one of the premiere graphic memoirists of our time, with Fun Home named the Best Book of 2006 by Time Magazine—a first for a graphic novel. Bechdel’s follow-up will debut the week of TCAF, and her Toronto appearance will be one of her first book tour stops in support of the new work.
Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon are twin brothers who hail from Brazil, and whose writing and illustration talents have graced countless major comics properties as Hellboy/BPRD, The Umbrella Academy (with Gerard Way of ‘My Chemical Romance’), and Sugar Shock (with Buffy‘s Joss Whedon). Their most recent collaborative work is the Eisner-award winning original graphic novel, Daytripper. TCAF marks their first Canadian public appearance (the duo also illustrated TCAF’s striking new 2012 poster).
These five cartoonists join a strong and diverse array of national and international cartoonists who make up the 2012 Festival, across a number of spotlights, including the following highlights:
– Oh Canada!: Canada makes a strong representation at TCAF 2012 with over 100 Canadian comics creators, including the much-celebrated Kate Beaton (Hark A Vagrant), the return of Scott Pilgrim creator Bryan Lee O’Malley, and acclaimed Quebecois cartoonist Michel Rabagliati, who will debut his new English-language graphic novel The Song of Roland.
– Comics For Kids: TCAF 2012 will focus more strongly on comics for children than ever before, thanks to partnerships with venerable Canadian magazine publisher Owlkids, Toronto’s new children’s comic book store Little Island Comics as well as support from several publishers. Headlining the children’s programming will be the aforementioned Jeff Smith (Bone), alongside NYT Bestselling children’s comic authors Jennifer Holm and Matt Holm (Babymouse, Squish), Kazu Kibuishi (Amulet) and Andy Runton (Owly). In fact, TCAF 2012 will feature almost 50 creators who work specifically on comics for children and young adults.
– Cartoonists from 15 Countries: TCAF 2012 will see a stunning array of international cartoonists, including Arne Bellstorf (Germany, Baby’s In Black), Tom Gauld (U.K., Goliath), Gabriella Giandelli (Italy, Interiorae), Jason (Norway, Hey, Wait), Gary Panter(USA, JIMBO), Olivier Schrauwen (Belgium, The Man Who Grew His Beard), and Adam Warren (USA, Empowered). They will be joined by special envoys of cartoonists from Australia and England, as well as representative cartoonists from China, France, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Mozambique, New Zealand, and Spain! For Toronto’s literary community, TCAF 2012 is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet many of these creators!
And everything you love – and more! TCAF 2012 will reprise the most popular programming since its 2003 launch, including the popular “Webcomics Pavilion,” Dedicated OWLkids Kids Area, Wowee Zonk Small-Press Area, panel discussions and interviews, workshops, readings and art installations. Not only that, but all of these components will be expanded and increased, occupying four additional physical locations in the Yonge & Bloor neighbourhood around the Toronto Reference Library TCAF hub. We’re taking comics to the streets in 2012!
Over the next several months TCAF will announce additional featured guests from around the world, related events including film screenings, art installations, gallery showing and a full detailed schedule of the programming around our most popular guests. While we will be sending press updates for all key guest and event additions, be sure to visit the TCAF website regularly for up-to-the-moment updates: http://torontocomics.com.
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival would not be possible without the assistance of our sponsors and partners, including presenting sponsor Toronto Public Library and retail sponsor The Beguiling Books & Art.
TCAF would like to recognize the efforts of the following organization in planning TCAF 2012: OWLkids, NOW Magazine, The Italian Cultural Institute, NORLA (Norwegian Literature Abroad), The Flemish Literature Fund, The Japan Foundation and The French Consulate in Toronto.
In addition, TCAF would like to thank publishers Drawn & Quarterly, VIZ Media LLC., Fantagraphics, Houghton Mifflin, Thomas Allen, Scholastic Canada, and First Second for their assistance.
Sponsorship opportunities for TCAF 2011 are still available, please contact us at: email@example.com for more info.
Comments Off on CA – Scott Pilgrim Screening
Edgar Wright and Bryan Lee O’Malley host a screening at the New Beverly Cinema on Friday, Dec. 9, 2011, at midnight!
New Beverly Cinema
7165 W. Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Comments Off on ON – Scott Pilgrim Signing
Bryan Lee O’Malley signs on July 9th from 2-4pm at The Beguilling!
COME ONE, COME ALL! Our very good friend Bryan Lee O’Malley, creator of the international bestselling graphic novel series SCOTT PILGRIM, makes his triumphant return to Toronto, a year since the awesome midnight release party for Scott Pilgrim volume 6!
The Scott Pilgrim Midnight Release Party drew 2,000 fans to normally quiet and quaint Markham Street last July to grab a copy of the new graphic novel and meet the creator of this epic series of epicness. O’Malley hasn’t been back to Toronto since then, and this Saturday, July 9th, he returns to meet and greet fans, sign books, and hang out in the neighbourhood that inspired that graphic novels and the cult-classic movie!
This event will feature an exclusive and limited-edition print designed by O’Malley featuring Ramona Flowers, and will be made available for sale for just $5! But all Scott Pilgrim fans are invited to show up in costume, and if they do they get a copy of the print for free!
Scott Pilgrim graphic novels, box sets, action figures, t-shirts, and other posters will be made available for sale at the event courtesy of The Beguiling.
601 Markham Street, Toronto, ON