MYP will have some of their books on hand, but if you’ve got previously purchased books, bring them in!
Both Amy & Ming have stories in Shattered: The Asian American Comics Anthology AND Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology edited by Jeff Yang
Amy Chu’s publications:
– “So Blue” in the CMYK Anthology Vertigo/DC Comics
– Girls Night Out and Other Stories anthology
– Girls Night Out: Tales of New York anthology
– The VIP Room with Anderson Cabral
– A Visit to the Museum of Chinese in America with Louie Chin
– Scam Fairy Tales with C.P. Wilson III
Ming Doyle’s publications:
-Quantum & Woody by James Asmus
-Mara by Brian Wood
-Guardians of the Galaxy by Brian Bendis
– Comic Book Tattoo (Anthology)
– Fantastic Four #600 by Jonathan Hickman
– Womanthology: Heroic (Anthology)
– Tantalize: Kieren’s Story by Cynthia Leitich Smith
– Girl Comics (Women of Marvel) by Trina Robbins
– How to Defeat Your Own Clone: And Other Tips for Surviving the Biotech Revolution by Kyle Kurpinski
– Jennifer’s Body by Rick Spears
– Outlaw Territory vol 01 TP by Michael Woods
Million Year Picnic
99 Mt Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
MING DOYLE, JOE QUINONES, and MARIS WICKS appear at The Big Bang on Friday, November 29, 2013 from 6:00pm until 8:00pm for a rare Irish signing!
Probably better known for her work on Brian Wood’s MARA and the artist in the new story arc of QUANTUM & WOODY, Ming also has done a ton of covers and a short story recently with Kelly Sue DeConnick for the WITCHING HOUR Vertigo anthology. (stil in stock, true believers!)
Joe has been around for the last couple of years, starting with TEEN TITANS GO and then GREEN LANTERN with Kurt Busiek and is of late a popular cover artist for DARK HORSE, DC and MARVEL (the last thing you’ll have seen him lately on would be the recent CAPTAIN MARVEL covers). He also has a BLACK CANARY/ZATANNA project coming out with Paul Dini soon, the lucky bastard.
Maris is the artist of (the really, really good) PRIMATES, which is currently sold out but due back in stock soon!
She is also a writer AND a colourist, so we’ll be seeing much more of her in the future.
The Big Bang
Pembroke District, Dundrum, Dublin Dublin 16, Ireland
Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo hosts its first two-day show on September 28-29, 2013 at in Porter Square, Cambridge, MA! The event is a joint project between the Boston Comics Roundtable, an independent arts collective, and the Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University; MICE puts a focus on the art of making comics and connects local creators with local audience. They will also run a number of workshops for children and adults, as well as panel discussions on the craft and relevance of the comics form. MICE is for anyone of any age who wants to discover new comics, learn more about the medium of comics, or is interested in making their own. Sunday is Kids Day, featuring workshops for the young cartoonist.
MICE 2013 is pleased to welcome eight comic creators to our show as our special guests: Chris Duffy, George O’Connor, Josh Neufeld, Lucy Knisley, Maris Wicks, Mike Cavallaro, Nick Abadzis, and R. Sikoryak. They will appear at their tables in the exhibition area, as well as at various panels and workshops over the weekend.
Plus MICE features 150 exhibitors including Alison Wilgus, Bob Flynn, Braden Lamb, Cathy Leamy, Colleen AF Venable, David Marshall, E. J. Barnes, Ellen Crenshaw, Emmy Cicierega, Jennie Wood, Ming Doyle, Nate Bellegarde, Renee Kurilla, Sean Wang, Shelli Paroline, Stephanie Yue, Tim Finn, Zack Giallongo, and many more!
View the exhibitor list and full schedule (TBA) at the website: www.micexpo.org
Next Saturday is July 20 and it’s a BIG day at Comicazi! Not only is it ArtBeat – the annual fair that celebrates local artisans and businesses – but we here at the shop are having our local artist/creator friends in-store to hawk their wares and press your flesh!!
In person at the shop are all great folks who have been mentioned here before and are good good friends. Let me present:
Max Wolman of the upcoming Red Menace comic
These ladies and gentlemen will be at the store from 12 to 4 on Saturday 7/20 so be sure to get here early. And remember that ArtBeat actually closes off all driving traffic in Davis Square. You’ll have to take the T into Davis or walk in.
These appearances will be followed up later in the evening by the Comicazi Couples Game at 8pm. You’ve heard me talk about it in last week’s issue, well now is your chance to get tickets to the event before they sell out!
You can also check it out on the Facebook page
Starting on Wednesday July 17 and going until Sunday July 21 Comicazi is having a 50% off sale. Bam!!
On those days you get 50% off your purchase of new comics excluding that week’s new delivery of books and what’s in subscription boxes. But the new books from the past several months that are up on the wall, yes.
All back issues, $2 and premium both
All used gaming:
PokemonGet your shekels ready my friends! It’s going to be a bigger blast than Krypton!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
101 Independence Mall Way, Kingston, MA 02364
Ming Doyle, comics artist extraordinaire, signs at Comicazi on Saturday, January 19, 2013 from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. Her most recent work is on the hot new title Mara, but she’s also done work for Womanthology, Fantastic Four, and more! Come meet and support a local artist – the event is absolutely free, though we encourage you mightily to purchase some of Ming’s work!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo has released their Panel and Workshop Schedule for 2012
12:00PM – 12:50PM
2:30PM – 3:20PM
3:30PM – 4:20PM
11:00AM – 11:50AM
Health, illness, and the physical body are major themes in many graphic novels (such as Cancer Vixen, Epileptic, and Stitches). Doctors, patients, and health educators are getting involved with comics as teaching tools and as a method of self-expression and exploring physical and mental conditions.
Moderator: Cathy Leamy Panelists: Kriota Willberg, LB Lee, Paige Warren.
12:00PM – 12:50PM
You have your first paid drawing gig … now what? A panel of working cartoonists discuss the challenges and rewards of drawing for a living in the fields of comics, illustration and animation. Topics will include how to balance creativity and professionalism, what to expect in various fields of employment, and some helpful anecdotes from the artists’ careers.
Moderator: Zack Giallongo Panelists: Shelli Paroline (artist, Kaboom! Studios), Keith Zulawnik (artist, Fablevision), Renee Kurilla (artist, Fablevision, Simon & Schuster), Ming Doyle (artist, Marvel, IDW)
1:00PM – 2:15PM
For twenty years, stylistic chameleon R. Sikoryak has been producing literary adaptations in comics form that parody the tics and tropes of classic cartoons; these are collected in Masterpiece Comics (Drawn and Quarterly). He will discuss his work and process, as well as his varied freelance career for Nickelodeon, The New Yorker, The Daily Show, and much more, in a special slideshow presentation.
2:30PM – 3:20PM
3:30PM – 4:20PM
Religion intersects comics and comics intersect religion in a multitude of ways. Enter into a discussion with regional comics creators and scholars on the promise and the peril of these engagements. Moderator A. David Lewis asks the panel whether comics is just another medium and religion just another topic — or whether the two are innately bound to each other.
Moderator: A. David Lewis Panelists: Charles Schneeflock Snow, Box Brown, David Wolkin
4:30PM – 5:20PM
Artists who use “fine arts” techniques to make comics… artists who use comics techniques to make “fine art” …an art gallery director who hangs comic art on her gallery’s walls… What are the boundaries between fine arts and comics? Are there any? Should there be any? Whatever the answers may be, we’ll look at and discuss some fine comics art and some comical fine art.
Moderator: Tim Finn Panelists: Doug De Rocher, EJ Barnes, Adrienne Nunez, Ansis Purins, Raul Gonzalez, Cathi Chang
The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo, a show dedicated to independent, alternative, small-press and self-published comics, webcomics and ‘zines, returns for its second year September 24th, 2011 from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm! This year’s expo has been relocated to University Hall at Lesley University (Porter Campus: 1815 Massachusetts Avenue,Cambridge, MA) conveniently next to the Porter Square station. MICE welcomes independent comics artists, writers, publishers, distributors and dealers who serve the independent community; avid fans, casual readers, and those curious about the New England independent comics scene. Presented by The Boston Comics Roundtable and The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University.
2011 Exhibitors include:
- Donna Almendrala – http://donnaalmendrala.name/
- Art Institute of Boston – http://www.lesley.edu/aib/
- Awakening Comics – http://awakeningcomics.webs.com/
- E. J. Barnes – http://ejbarnes.com/
- Cara Bean – http://badgigi.com/
- Eric Boeker – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/eboeker/
- Garry-Paul Bonesteel – http://killerinkcomics.com/
- Boston Comics Roundtable – http://www.bostoncomicsroundtable.com/
- Boy Blue & Co. – http://www.underthehaystack.net/
- Box Brown – http://www.boxbrown.com
- Heather Bryant – www.heatherbryant.com
- Robyn Chapman – http://www.un-pop.com/
- Kevin Church – http://www.beaucoupkevin.com/blog/
- Barry Corbett & Brian Codagnone – http://www.corbettfeatures.com/
- Joshua Dahl – http://joshdahl.livejournal.com/
- Dandelion Studios – http://www.dandelionstudios.com/
- Alexander Danner – http://www.picturestorytheater.com/
- Ben Doane – http://thejamjarastronaut.blogspot.com/
- Allan Dorison – http://www.webcomicsnation.com/gascomic
- Ming Doyle – http://www.mingdoyle.com/
- Jerel Dye – http://jereldye.com/
- Marissa Falco – http://miss-sequential.blogspot.com/
- FatCat Funnies – http://fatcatfunnies.com/
- Bob Flynn – http://jinxthemonkey.com/
- Claire Folkman – http://clairefolkman.blogspot.com/
- Joel Christian Gill – http://www.joelchristiangill.com/
- Lawrence Gillette – http://mofragcomics.tumblr.com/
- Melanie Gillman – http://contriveathon.livejournal.com/
- Graphic Artists Guild – http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/
- Erica Henderson – http://failatlife.blogspot.com/
- Erik Heumiller – http://www.helmsmanpress.com/
- Gareth Hinds – http://www.thecomic.com/
- Patt Kelley – http://www.pattkelley.com/
- Nathan Kitler – http://nathankitler.blogspot.com/
- Braden Lamb – http://www.bradenlamb.com/
- Leann Leake – http://laughing-anima.livejournal.com/
- Cathy Leamy – http://www.metrokitty.com/
- Ron LeBrasseur – http://home.earthlink.net/~ronlebrasseur/
- Jesse Lonergan – http://jesselonergan.blogspot.com/
- Dave Mahan – http://davemahanart.blogspot.com/
- Maineland Studios – http://www.mainelandstudios.com/
- Clay McCormack – http://www.eatdeadmeat.com/
- Rebecca Migdal – http://www.rlmigdal.com/
- Lindsay Moore – http://boxybrown.etsy.com/
- Dan Moynihan – http://www.danmoynihan.com/
- New England Comics Arts in the Classroom – http://www.necac.net/
- Adrienne Nunez – http://www.adriennenunez.net/
- Line O – http://outoflinecomics.blogspot.com/
- George O’Connor – http://www.homelesscomics.com/
- Tom Pappalardo – http://blog.tompappalardo.com/
- Shelli Paroline – http://http://shelliparoline.com/
- Joey Peters – http://tacolicious.net/
- Kelly Phillips – http://www.kellyphillips.net/
- Morgan Pielli – http://www.morganpielli.com/
- Chris Pittas – http://www.tipscomix.com/
- Ansis Purins – http://www.ansis.tv
- Joe Quinones – http://joequinones.blogspot.com/
- Michael Rapa – http://michaelrapa.com
- ROHO – http://riverbirdstudios.blogspot.com/
- Aya Rothwell – http://www.ayarothwell.com/
- Bill Roundy – http://billroundy.com/
- Che Salazar – http://production3c.com/
- Steve Seck – http://www.secktacular.com/
- Matt Smith – http://www.matt-illustrations.com/
- Charles Schneeflock Snow – http://www.sordidcityblues.com/
- Susan and Everett Soares – www.skypiratesofvalendor.com/
- Karl Stevens – http://www.karlstevensart.com/
- Kristilyn Stevenson – http://zombie-romance.com/
- Rio Aubry Taylor – http://lightriot.com/
- Three J Productions, LLC – http://www.threejproductions.com/
- Dirk Tiede Cartoons & Illustration – http://www.dirktiede.com/
- Elenore Toczynski – http://ghostlytoast.blogspot.com/
- The Topato Corporation – http://topatoco.com/
- Trees and Hills – http://www.treesandhills.org/
- Jen Vaughn – http://www.mermaidhostel.com/
- Jason Viola – http://www.manateepower.com/
- Bill Volk – http://billvolk.com/
- Weekly Dig – http://digboston.com/
- Maris Wicks – http://dotsforeyes.blogspot.com/
- Andy Wong – http://www.alacritystudios.com/
- Ken Wong – http://mysite.verizon.net/vzey5cnm/
- Jennie Wood – http://www.nayslayer.com/
- Yeah Dude Comics – http://www.patmakesdrawings.com/