Paul Pope, Jason Aaron, Dean Haspiel, Frank J. Barbiere, Joe Harris, David Rodriguez, and Mike DeVito appear at Third Eye Comics on Saturday May 3rd for Free Comic Book Day!
Third Eye Faithful — come and join us for the 6th incredible year of THIRD EYE COMICS on Saturday May 3rd, 2014. Oh, and did we mention: IT’S ALSO FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!
FREE COMIC BOOKS ALL DAY LONG!
Featuring Special Guests…
(Signings taking place from 9AM-4PM, unless otherwise noted)
PAUL POPE (Battling Boy, Batman Year 100, Escapo, Heavy Liquid)
JASON AARON (Scalped, Wolverine & the X-Men, Thor God of Thunder, Southern Bastards, Original Sin)
FRANK BARBIERE (Five Ghosts, White Suits, Solar)
DEAN HASPIEL (American Splendor, The Quitter, The Alcoholic, The Fox)
JOE HARRIS (X-Files Season 10, Great Pacific, Ghost Projekt)
David Rodriguez (Finding Gossamyr)
Mike DeVito (Stuff of Legend)
AWESOME ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING
Get your picture taken with Doctor Who & the TARDIS Photo Booth!
Get your picture taken with the Imperial Stormtroopers of the 501st Legion (9AM-1PM)
Bring the Kids & visit our Kids Comics Tent for face-painting, costumed heroes, and staff designated to help guide you towards great all ages reads for your young readers!
SPECIAL 1 DAY ONLY ANNIVERSARY SALE
20% OFF ALL Graphic Novels (excluding new releases from 4/1-5/4)
20% OFF ALL Statues & Toys (excluding new releases from 4/1-5/4)
20% OFF ALL Games (excluding new releases from 4/1-5/4)
50% OFF SELECT Trade Paperbacks & Hardcovers
50% OFF SELECT Toys & Statues
$1.00 Back Issue Bins or Fill A Short Box for $50.00
Line Up Early & Score Swag!
FIRST 25 IN LINE GET A FCBD PRIZE BAG LOADED WITH SWEET SWAG!
FIRST 50 IN LINE GET A FREE THIRD EYE SUMMER 2014 T-SHIRT!
FIRST 100 IN LINE GET A FREE THIRD EYE X WALKING DEAD FREE COMIC BOOK DAY COMMEMORATIVE PATCH!
FIRST 200 IN LINE GET A THIRD EYE X FCBD BUTTON!
CAMPING OUT? WIN DOOR PRIZES, TOYS & MORE!
COME IN COSPLAY & BE ENTERED TO WIN A $200 GIFT CARD!
Third Eye Comics
2027-A West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Yale Stewart, Jacob Chabot, Erica Henderson, and many more sign at Acme Comics on Saturday May 3, 2014 for Free Comic Book Day!
The countdown is on as Acme steps into the next age of the Triad’s oldest & largest comic book store, consolidating their creative power back into the Lawndale Shopping Center and strengthening it’s partnership with Geeksboro Coffeehouse Cinema to bring you the best Free Comic Book Day ever!
–57 different comic offerings, up from last year’s 52, PLUS whatever other promo books we find around the shop to add to the mix! The first 50 people in line are guaranteed a copy of each book, an offer so appealing it pushes the physical boundaries of the official Free Comic Book Day bags!
–The air-conditioned and waterproofed Sketch Pavilion in Acme Comics Presents will be streamlined to get you through the line faster than ever before while ensuring all attendees that would like to have the opportunity to get their books signed and get a one of kind commission can do so for FREE!
–Geeksboro’s main floor will also play host to even more artists with which to visit!
–Discover more about one of our favorite publishers as we screen Sequart’s Image Revolution featuring length documentary in the 48 seat theatre downstairs in Geeksboro!
–Get to know renowned local cosplayers like Ed “Static Shock” Newsome, Caitlin “Robin” Rhyne, Ian “War Machine” Raulston, and many, MANY more on the sidewalks of the Lawndale Shopping Center!
–FREE face-painting by Munchie & Me!
–Once again, hang out all night and all day and all night again at Geeksboro as our pals down the sidewalk will be open straight through on Friday for the food, beverages, and facility conveniences for anyone camping out over night, all day Saturday to provide refreshments and entertainment to event-goers, and until 2 AM Saturday night for the after-party to beat all after-parties!
–Pub-style Superhero Trivia on Saturday night complete with cash & comic prizes!
–Have small children and want to avoid some of the crowds? Stop by to pick up a bag of books and visit with creators at the Greensboro Children’s Museum (6 books, 3 artists) and the Windsor Recreation Center (4 books, 4 artists) from 10 AM – 1 PM!
Creators Appearing at Acme Comics & Geeksboro Coffeehouse Cinema:
–Thomas Boatwright – Orc Girl, Cemetery Blues, Halloween Legion, Surreal Adventures of Edgar Allan Poo
–Jacob Chabot – Mighty Skullboy Army, Hello Kitty, Voltron Force, SpongeBob
–Casey Coller – Transformers Robots in Disguise, Transformers More than Meets the Eye
–Chris Giarrusso – G-Man, Aw Yeah Comics, Mini Marvels, Bullpen Bits
–Erica Henderson – Subatomic Party Girls, Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures
–Sandy Jarrell - Batman ’66, Meteor Men, Wasteland
–Tracy Lee Quinn – freelance illustrator, Free Comic Book Day poster
–Joe Quinones – Ultimate Comics Survive, FF, Batman Black & White, Batman ’66
–Amanda Rachels – Flesh of White, Arcana’s the Book, Clown Town
–Gregg Schigiel – Pix Teenage American Fairy, SpongeBob Comics, X-Babies
–Brian Smith – Stuff of Legend, Intrepid EscapeGoat, Uncle Ant
–Yale Stewart – JL8 (Little League), Nova
–Randall Trang – Roller Girl & the Flying Sidekick
–Michael Watkins – Sonic the Hedgehog, Transformers
–Maris Wicks – Primates, Yes, Let’s, Batman Black & White
–Kelly Yates – MonstHer, Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Doctor Who: Fairytale
2150 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC 27408
Hartford Comic Con is proud to announce the addition of Manu Bennett from Arrow (Slade Wilson/Deathstroke), Spartacus (Crixus), and The Hobbit (Azog). He joins an already A-list line up of celebrity guests to join our show including cast mate Katrina Law (“Mira” from Spartacus), Chandler Riggs (“Carl Grimes” from The Walking Dead), Giancarlo Esposito (“Gus” from Breaking Bad), and more!
Please join us at the fastest growing comic con in New England! With appearance by over 150 of the industry’s top artists including special guests Ed McGuinness (Amazing X-Men, Nova), Tim Sale (Captain America, Batman), Jim Cheung (Infinity, Young Avengers), Dave Johnson (Deadpool, 100 Bullets), and so many more.
Hartford Comic Con will take place on May 31 – June 1, 2014 at the XL Center in Hartford, CT. For more information, tickets, registration, and the complete list of guests please check out the website: www.hartfordcomiccon.com and follow them on Twitter (@ HartfordCon) and Facebook!
Holy Cross College invites you to attend its annual Arts Day: a public lecture and exhibition which celebrates the spirit of the creative arts. The event will be held on Friday, April 11 from 3:00 – 5:00 PM in Driscoll Auditorium, Vincent Gallery, and Vincent Atrium at Holy Cross College.
This year’s event will highlight lectures by Carol Tilley, an Assistant Professor of Library and Information Science from the University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana and Gene Ha, a professional comic artist, illustrator and writer.
Carol Tilley will present “When Comics Almost Died: Readers, Censors, and Innovation.” Tilley teaches courses in media literacy and youth services librarianship. Part of her scholarship focuses on the intersection of young people, comics and libraries, particularly in the United States during the mid-twentieth century. Her research has been published in journals including the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) and Children’s Literature in Education. Tilley’s research on anti-comics advocate Fredric Wertham was featured in the New York Times and other media outlets.
Gene Ha will talk about his artistic career and the comic book industry. He has been a professional artist drawing images for comic books for over twenty years. Ha’s drawings have filled the pages of graphic works published by DC Comics, Malibu Comics, Wildstorm, Vertigo and Marvel Comics. A sampling of Ha’s character renderings encompass work on Batman, Captain America, Superman, Green Lantern, X-Men, and the Justice League of America as well as many others. Ha has won four Eisner Awards for his work on Top Ten with Alan Moore and Zander Cannon and with Brad Meltzer on Justice League of America #11 for DC Comics. Ha grew up in South Bend, Indiana, attended Clay High School, and received a BFA from the Center for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan.
In addition to these lectures, the Vincent Gallery will feature an exhibition of student art and a reception with light refreshments will be held in the Vincent Atrium, adjacent to the gallery and auditorium. These events are free and open to the public. All are welcome to visit Holy Cross campus and celebrate the arts!
For further information about the events or directions, please contact William Tourtillotte by email at wtourtillotte[at]hcc-nd.edu or by phone at 574-239-8304.
Holy Cross College
54515 State Road 933 North, Notre Dame, IN 46556
Don Rosa, Todd Dezago, Craig Rousseau, Steve Conley, and John Gallagher sign at Cards Comics & Collectibles on Saturday May 3rd for Free Comic Book Day!
Cards Comics and Collectibles
100 A Chartley Drive, Reisterstown, MD 21136
Neil Gaiman appears at Carnegie Hall on Friday, June 27, 2014 at 8 PM!
Presenting a synchronized multimedia storytelling event, Neil Gaiman reads his story The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains. Illustrations are provided by renowned artist Eddie Campbell, with a live underscore by the FourPlay String Quartet. Originally commissioned by the Sydney Opera House for its GRAPHIC Festival, the story will be published on June 17, 2014, by William Morrow, a HarperCollins imprint. Neil Gaiman is a bestselling writer, his work spanning from the Sandman comics to award-winning novels and major feature films.
881 7th Ave, New York, NY 10019
A Super Hero For Every Generation
Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment Celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary
New Batman 75th Commemorative Logo Unveiled
To mark the milestone 75th anniversary of DC Comics’ Batman, Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have revealed plans for a year-long celebration befitting the world’s most popular Super Hero. Highlights of the anniversary program, which starts today, include a new commemorative 75th anniversary Batman logo and an exclusive “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit, featuring 20 contemporary artists’ interpretation of The Dark Knight’s iconic cowl headpiece and cape from the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight videogame. There will also be 75th anniversary-related activities across all of Warner Bros. Entertainment throughout the year.
First appearing in the comic book Detective Comics #27, which hit newsstands on March 30, 1939, featuring artwork by Bob Kane and a script by Bill Finger, Batman emerged from the shadows to become the world’s most popular Super Hero and dominate all media. In feature films, TV shows, radio, video games, publishing and merchandise, this most human of Super Heroes has battled some of fiction’s greatest villains using his intellect, cunning and an arsenal of gadgets to further his quest for justice.
“Batman is an incredibly important property with multi-generational appeal across all of the Studio’s businesses, and we’re proud to celebrate this milestone anniversary,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “From billion-dollar blockbuster films to TV, home entertainment, video games and consumer products, The Dark Knight continues to resonate with audiences worldwide and rightfully deserves his place as a global pop culture icon for the ages.”
Batman is the single most successful Super Hero film franchise in history and there have been more theatrical movies released based on Batman than any other comic book character. In video games, the Batman Arkham franchise is also the most successful Super Hero game concept ever. Batman consistently breaks records in every incarnation of his character and remains the gold standard by which all other comic book sales are measured.
“Batman is one of the greatest characters ever created, in comics or elsewhere, and even after 75 years he continues to wildly fascinate fans. He is an integral part of pop culture and has successfully captured the imagination of the entire world,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment and President & Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The origin of Batman, Bruce Wayne and the famous citizens of Gotham are legendary and likely a story you know inside out, even if you’ve never picked up a comic book in your life, and that speaks volumes to the character’s immense popularity and the constructs of the original mythology.”
The first published adventure of The Bat-Man (as he was then known) was in the May 1939 issue of Detective Comics #27, conceived of and drawn by a 22-year-old Kane with his frequent collaborator, Bill Finger, scripting the story. The character was so successful, that one year later the first comic book devoted exclusively to the Caped Crusader’s adventures, Batman #1, hit newsstands. In that issue, Batman battled The Joker and Catwoman for the first time.
Now, DC Entertainment and the Studio’s various divisions, including Pictures, Television, Animation, Interactive Entertainment, Home Entertainment and Consumer Products, will mark this extraordinary 75th anniversary with a range of highly anticipated events and products.
The new commemorative logo, also released today across social media and websites, takes its cue from the famed Bat symbol, and features block-style lettering of “75 Years.” The mark will be rolled out on Batman-related promotions, products and initiatives.
Key activities planned for the Batman 75th anniversary celebration include:
- DC Entertainment – DC Entertainment has an action-packed year filled with new Batman titles, commemorative issues and variant covers, including the recently released special edition of Detective Comics #27 commemorating Batman’s first appearance in the book in 1939, the new weekly series Batman Eternal launching April 9, and upcoming exclusive Batman variant covers planned for San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Batman Day – DC Entertainment is also partnering with thousands of comic retailers, book stores and libraries for “Batman Day” on Wednesday, July 23. Each location will host a Batman 75th anniversary celebration and offer fans a free, special edition Batman comic.
- Interactive Entertainment – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has invited celebrated fashion designer Asher Levine to create a cape and cowl based on the Batsuit of the recently announced Batman: Arkham Knight videogame developed by Rocksteady Studios. Favorite contemporary artists will have the opportunity to use the replicas as a blank canvas to produce their own, original interpretations of Batman’s iconic attire for an all new “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit that will be showcased at San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Home Entertainment – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will bring fans an array of new Batman titles throughout the year, including the highly anticipated release of the Batman ’66 TV series for the first time ever. Other new releases include animated films Son of Batman (May 6) and Assault on Arkham (summer 2014). Additionally, a 25th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman feature film will be released in the fall.
- Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.
- Television –Warner Bros. Television is in production on the pilot episode of the highly anticipated Gotham, a new one-hour drama for FOX which explores the origin stories of eventual police commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Detective Gordon (Ben McKenzie – Southland) will encounter a familiar cast of characters – including a young Bruce Wayne – as he fights to keep the city safe. Executive producer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome) wrote the pilot, which is being directed by executive producer Danny Cannon (CSI series, Nikita)
- Pictures – As Batman’s 75th anniversary is celebrated in 2014, Warner Bros. Pictures will begin production of Zack Snyder’s untitled Superman/Batman film starring Henry Cavill, who reprises his role as Superman/Clark Kent, and Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film, slated for release summer 2016, will bring the two most iconic Super Heroes of all time together for the first time on the big screen.
- Consumer Products – Warner Bros. Consumer Products has partnered with an array of licensees to celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary through special edition and limited-release products. From the classic 1960s TV series to modern day comics, Batman’s presence will be larger than ever in celebration of his legacy through everything from toys to t-shirts.
- DCComics.com – For the latest information and exclusive content celebrating Batman’s 75th anniversary, visit www.Batman75.com. The dedicated section on DC Comics’ website launches today with the Batman 75 Sweepstakes which offers one lucky fan a one-of-a-kind prize package.
Brian Azzarello, the incredible scribe of such comics as 100 BULLETS, LOVELESS, BATMAN, SUPERMAN, JOKER, and LUTHOR original graphic novels, as well as the current WONDER WOMAN and upcoming FUTURE’S END titles, appears at Aw Yeah Comics for a signing on Saturday, March 29th from noon till 2:00 pm!
Aw Yeah Comics
4933 Oakton Street, Skokie, IL 60077
Writers Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV appear at Midtown Comics Downtown on Friday April 11th at 6:00 pm for a special signing of Batman Eternal #1!
Purchase of Batman Eternal #1 is required. Limit of two items signed per customer.
Midtown Comics Downtown
64 Fulton Street, New York, New York 10038
*UPDATE* Super Exciting News! Declan Shalvey & Jordie Bellaire of the new Moon Knight are going to Join Jeff Parker and Jonathan Case for next Wednesday’s Batman 66 signing. That’s Batman and Moon Knight together under one roof!!!
Cosmic Monkey Comics
5335 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213