DC Entertainment Takes Center Stage at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2015
Something for Everyone: Top Industry Talent Showcases DC Comics’ Newly-Expanded Line
Vertigo and MAD Magazine to Make Big News at the Con
Special edition, exclusive variant comic books available only to fans at SDCC!
DC Entertainment (DCE), one of the world’s largest English language comic book publishers, will roll out the red carpet for its fans at Comic-Con International: San Diego. An impressive 19 panels will put the spotlight squarely on DC Comics’ broad range of titles and tonalities, Vertigo’s creator-driven, genre storytelling, and MAD’s comedic take on all things pop culture. Additionally, fans attending the show can purchase DCE’s highly-collectible, exclusive variant comic books.
Fans will get to hear directly from the best comic talent in the industry at a slate of panels over the four-day pop culture celebration. DCE panels include:
- From iconic characters to emerging heroes, the expansive DC Universe allows for a wide range of tonalities and a rich universe of stories, enabling readers of all ages and interests to find their favorite series. Meet the top talent behind some of the most celebrated series including SUPERMAN’s new, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang, BATGIRL artist Babs Tarr and writers Cameron Stewart and Brenden Fletcher, and BIZARRO writer Heath Corson, among others. Plus, get an advanced look at the highly-anticipated series CYBORG with writer David Walker ahead of its debut in July. Get ready for the New DC Universe with these panels: “Mysteries in Space” on Thursday, “Superman,” “Justice for All,” and “The Bad Guys” all on Friday, and on Saturday “The Lighter Side,” “Batman” featuring all-star creative team Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, and “The Upstarts” featuring the most cutting-edge writers and artists in the industry.
- Following the release of bestselling and Eisner-nominated mini-series THE MULTIVERSITY, writer Grant Morrison will explain how he redefined the DC Universe, giving fans a look back (and forward) to where the far-reaching effects of The Multiversity will be felt most. Don’t miss “DC Entertainment – Grant Morrison: The Multiversity.” DC Entertainment – Grant Morrison: The Multiversity and Beyond – Saturday
- Join superstar JUSTICE LEAGUE writer Geoff Johns for an all-access and in-depth discussion. From Earth One to Darkseid War to all things in between, be here for this exclusive panel that will give you insight into one of the genre’s most influential contributors. DC Entertainment – One-on-One with Geoff Johns – Friday
- Dive into DC Entertainment – Page to Screen, a can’t miss panel celebrating DCE’s film, TV, game, and animation slates. Join talent behind the inner-workings, including moderator and TV GUIDE reporter Damian Holbrook, DCE Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns, Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, The Flash) Heath Corson (Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis), and more! DC Entertainment – Page to Screen – Friday
- Find out where some of your favorite Vertigo titles are heading, and also be the first to hear about the new series on deck for the fall from comics’ most innovative imprint. Vertigo: What’s the Story – Thursday
- See what “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine are up to at the side-splitting, must-attend annual panel helmed by SVP and Executive Editor John Ficarra and a hilarious cast of characters. Mad about MAD – Thursday
- Check out the latest action figures, statues, props and more from the creative minds of DC Collectibles and get an exclusive sneak peek at upcoming releases. DC Collectibles –Thursday
Make sure to stop by DCE’s 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) – the hub for DCE talent signings, hands-on video gameplay, and artist demos, where attendees will have a chance to mingle with some of the best writers and artists in the business. Fans will also get a chance to take photos with their favorite characters with the DCE green screen.
Also checkout highly collectible, exclusive variant comic books available for SDCC attendees only through the Graphitti Designs booth #2314. Certain variants will only be available on specific days while others will be available throughout the convention. Variants include BLACK CANARY #1 (available Thursday, 7/9), BATMAN BEYOND #1 (available Friday, 7/10), MIDNIGHTER #1 (available Saturday, 7/11), BIZARRO #1 (available Sunday, 7/12), and variants available on all days include ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN #1, HARLEY QUINN #17, SUPERMAN #41, BATMAN #41, and JUSTICE LEAGUE #41. A special, rare, oversized gate-fold cover variant of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 will only be available Saturday, 7/11.
Visit DCComics.com for a complete list of panels, and behind-the-scenes coverage and in-depth interviews directly from DCE’s popular web series, DC ALL ACCESS. Download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment signings, panels and stage events at San Diego Comic-Con.
Babs Tarr, Eisner-nominated artist of Batgirl, appears at Hub Comics in Union Square for a signing on Wednesday May 9, 2015 from 6:00 till 8:00 PM! If you can’t make it to this signing she’ll be back this summer for Boston Comic Con (July 31 – August 2).
Hub Comics – Union Square
19 Bow Street, Somerville, MA 02143
Babs Tarr, current artist of Batgirl, appears at Twilite Zone Comics on Saturday
May 9th JUNE 6TH for a signing!
Twilite Zone Comics
18 Crain Hwy N, Glen Burnie, MD 21061
April 7, 2015 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Collectibles, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Horror, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
Boston Comic Con has added several guest comic creators, both returning friends and brand new additions, for the 2015 convention! Come meet them at the Seaport World Trade Center on July 31 – August 2. Joining us are:
- Nick Bradshaw: Guardians of the Galaxy, Wolverine and the X-Men
- Eric Canete: Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin, Amazing Spider-Man, Tron: Legacy
- Erica Henderson: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, The Best Thing
- Phil Noto: Black Widow, Uncanny X-Force, Thunderbolts
- Dan Panosian: Conan/Red Sonja, G.I. Combat, X-Factor Forever
- Andrew C. Robinson: The Fifth Beatle, Justice League United, Hawkman
- Tim Sale: Captain America: White, Daredevil: Yellow, Batman: The Long Halloween
- Babs Tarr: Batgirl
Previously announced guests include: Stan Lee, Hayley Atwell, Robin Lord Taylor, Eduardo Risso, Humberto Ramos, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Tony Moore, Jason Latour, Joelle Jones, Steve Lieber, Annie Wu, Franco Aureliani, J. Bone, Frank Brunner, Michael Cho, Jeff Dekal, Evan Dorkin, Sara Dyer, Gerry Duggan, Mike Henderson, Mike Kunkel, John Layman, Stacey Lee, Laura Martin, Yanick Paquette, Jeff Parker, Kurtis J. Wiebe, Joshua Williamson, Brian Azzarello, Frank Cho, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Andy Belanger, Stephanie Buscema, Dave Johnson, Joe Prado, Amy Reeder, Stephane Roux, Don Rosa, Frank Tieri, and more!
*Please note Sean G. Murphy will not be appearing as previously announced. Boston Comic Con apologizes for the error and any confusion.
**Our condolences to the family and friends of Herb Trimpe on his untimely passing.
Tickets are now available for purchase. Please note that this year tickets will be sold ONLINE ONLY, there will not be any on-site ticket sales.
About Boston Comic Con:
The Boston Comic Con is a 100% independently run comic book show committed to bringing the biggest and best comic creators to New England. Run by fans for fans, Boston Comic Con is not affiliated with any other convention tour or corporate interests. Hosting over 120,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, trading cards, and other pop culture memorabilia, this is a destination event for geeks of any stripe. This year’s convention will be held Friday July 31st, Saturday August 1st, and Sunday August 2nd at the Seaport World Trade Center, 200 Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210. For more information please go to our website at www.bostoncomiccon.com and follow us on Twitter (@BostonComicCon) and Facebook!
Babs Tarr, Katie Cook, and many more appear at Double Midnight Comics on Saturday, May 2, 2015 for Free Comic Book Day!
Double Midnight Comics
245 Maple Street, Manchester, NH 03103
Artist Babs Tarr appears at Escapist Comics to sign BATGIRL on Saturday, December 13th at 1:00PM!
3090 Claremont Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705
HeroesCon 2015 takes place June 19-21, 2015!
HEROES CONVENTION was founded in 1982 by Shelton Drum, owner of Charlotte’s Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find comics shop. Since then the convention has become famous for its comics-first and family-friendly atmosphere, where fans can mingle directly with professionals and exhibitors. Boasting an incredible guest list built mainly on reputation and goodwill, HeroesCon is known nationwide as a “must” on the summer schedule, drawing fans, exhibitors, and creators from all over the world to the Charlotte Convention Center.
2015 Guests include:
KELLY SUE DECONNICK
& MANY MORE!
BUYING AN ADVANCE PASS MEANS YOU’LL GET ANY ADVANCE INCENTIVES WE OFFER,FREE!
ENTRY WILL BE $20: FRI $20: SAT $15: SUN / AT THE SHOW ITSELF, SO YOU SAVE AS MUCH AS $15 BY PURCHASING ADVANCE PASSES TODAY!
Babs Tarr, the sensational new Batgirl artist, appears at Mission: Comics & Art on Wednesday, October 15th at 5:00 pm!
Mission: Comics & Art
3520 20th St. Suite B, San Francisco, CA 94110
EXCLUSIVE: Long Beach Comic Con 2014 Announces Guests of Honor and New Initiatives, Teases Programming
Long Beach Comic Con Announces Guests of Honor & New Initiatives and Teases Programming for September 27-28, 2014
Long Beach, CA (September 9, 2014) – To celebrate its sixth year, Long Beach Comic Con is unveiling new initiatives including the show’s first ever Guests of Honor, this year’s official sponsors including media sponsor the Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex and programming devoted to a broad range of attendees — from cosplay enthusiasts to young adult readers. Long Beach Comic Con will be held on September 27 and 28, 2014 at the Long Beach Convention Center, where exhibiting publishers will include Archie Comics, Aspen Comics, Bottled Lightning, PaperFilms, Skybound Entertainment, Storm King Productions, Top Cow, and Valiant Entertainment, among others.
For the first time in its history, Long Beach Comic Con is announcing guests of honor for this fall’s show:
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Archie Comics’ AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE)
Mike Allred (Marvel Comics’ SILVER SURFER)
Laura Allred (Marvel Comics’ SILVER SURFER
Sandy King Carpenter (Storm King Production’s ASYLUM)
Joe Casey (Man of Action)
Amanda Conner (DC Entertainment’s HARLEY QUINN)
Chris Dingess (Skybound Entertainment’s MANIFEST DESTINY)
David Gallaher (Bottled Lightning’s THE ONLY LIVING BOY)
Joe Kelly (Man of Action)
JT Krul (Aspen’s JIRNI)
Mike Mignola (Dark Horse Comics’ HELLBOY)
James O’Barr (THE CROW)
Jimmy Palmiotti (PaperFilms’ SEX & VIOLENCE)
Jamie S. Rich (Oni Press’ Archer Coe and the Thousand Natural Shocks)
Duncan Rouleau (Man of Action)
Steve Seagle (Man of Action)
Marc Silvestri (Top Cow)
Richard Starking (Image Comic’s ELEPHANTMEN)
Babs Tarr (DC Entertainment’s BATGIRL)
“We’re thrilled to have more guests at this year’s show than we’ve ever had before,” said Martha Donato, Long Beach Comic Con Executive Director and Co-Founder. “We recognize that attending conventions is a major commitment for comic book creators and we want to honor and celebrate some of the people who’ve joined us for six years running, as well as the writers and artists who are traveling across the country to attend our convention for the first time.”
As in past years, attendees will be treated to a wide array of programming. Highlights include:
* Panels devoted to fan favorite comic book characters including Batman, the Crow and Hellboy.
* Comic Book Publisher Spotlights moderated by BLOODY DISGUSTING, COMICVINE, IGN, THE NERDIST and others.
* Hero Complex moderated panels of pop culture, running the gamut from Robot Chicken to Young Justice to Women in Comics.
* A Young Adult panel featuring best-selling novelists Leigh Bardugo, Robin Benway, Cecil Castellucci, Melissa de la Cruz, Michael Johnston, and Margaret Stohl
* A Banned Books Week discussion led by the Newport Beach Branch Library
* Cosplay panels.
* Horror programming with guests like Dan Brereton (NOCTURNALS) and Mike Huddleston (THE STRAIN).
* Kids programming with KaBOOM! and creators like Eric Esquivel (BRAVEST WARRIORS), Travis Hanson (TANNER JONES AND THE QUEST FOR THE MONKEY STONE), Mike Kunkel (HEROBEAR) and Hannah Nance Partlow (ADVENTURE TIME). There will also be interactive panels where Tone Rodriguez will teach kids how to draw the Simpsons and Futurama characters and Peter Paul will teach “how to draw your dragon.”
* Animation panels dedicated to popular cartoons like GARGOYLES, SPECTACULAR SPIDER MAN, YOUNG JUSTICE, X-MEN and DISNEY AFTERNOON, and appearances by Greg Weisman and the Man of Action Studio.
* Screen Junkies Presents: Honest Trailers The Panel
* #MakeComics workshops where aspiring writers and artists can learn from comic book greats including Jon Bogdanove (POWER PACK), Tim Bradstreet (HELLBLAZER), Brian Buccellato (DETECTIVE COMICS), Joshua Fialkov (THE BUNKER) and Whilce Portacio (THE PUNISHER). Over two days, workshops will walk through the entire #makecomics process: from writing and drawing to running a Kickstarter and even publicizing the comic.
“Our programming has been a huge growth area for us this year,” said Phil Lawrence, Co-founder and Sales Director of Long Beach Comic Con. “We’re running more than 80 high quality panels over two days. There’s something for every fan, whether you want to hear about the latest from Image Comics or need tips for designing and building your first cosplay.”
Growth also extends to the show’s official sponsors. The CW’s The Flash, GenZe by Mahindra, the Laugh Factory, SGX Print, and the SUN NEWS have already signed on as official sponsors, and additional announcements are expected to follow in the coming weeks.
Enjoy an exciting weekend full of exceptional guests and exhibitors, and engaging panels, at Long Beach Comic Con, Saturday, September 27 from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm and Sunday, September 28 from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm at the Long Beach Convention Center. Tickets are available now through the website: www.longbeachcomiccon.com.
“Our ticket sales are significantly up from last year at this same time,” said Donato. “If you’re thinking about attending this year’s show, I recommend buying your tickets in advance before we sell out and arriving both days before the show opens.”
About Long Beach Comic Con
Long Beach Comic Con is an annual event held at the Long Beach Convention Center that celebrates comic books and pop culture and showcases the exceptional works of talented writers, artists, illustrators and creators of all types of pop culture. At Long Beach Comic Con, you’ll find exhibitors promoting and selling all types of related products, as well as entertaining and educational programs for all ages, guest signings and meet & greet sessions with celebrities. Long Beach Comic Con is a MAD Event Management, LLC production. To learn more and purchase tickets, please visit www.longbeachcomiccon.com.
July 28, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Gaming, Horror, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
Celebrity appearances, artist meet-and-greets, a film festival, a Cosplay costume contest, the first official after party and Cosplay Harbor Cruise are among many activities lined up for this year’s Boston Comic Con. Boston Comic Con will bring its first three-day convention to the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. In the seven years since its founding, Boston Comic Con has grown from a one-day show that attracted an estimated 900 comic book enthusiasts to last year’s record turnout of more than 23,000, which organizers expect to top this year.
“The community in Greater Boston that loves comic books and related television and film is tremendous and growing,” said Nick Kanieff, a founder of Boston Comic Con. “We are home to some of the industry’s most talented artists and devoted fans, all of which will join us in great numbers this August. Boston Comic Con has just enough of a celebrity touch to bring in ardent fans while still honoring the artists and writers who are the backbone of the industry.”
The 2014 Boston Comic Con will feature celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones”; John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and “Arrow”; Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy; James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel”; Katie Cassidy of “Arrow”; Eve Myles of “Torchwood”; Jewel Staite of “Firefly”; Sam Witwer of “Being Human”; and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC, one of the founding fathers of the hip hop and rap movement, who is producing his own comic about a rap superhero. Celebrities will also participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops, and signing autographs throughout the three-day convention.
Among the 200+ comic book creators taking part in the convention are well known artists such as artist Greg Capullo and writer Scott Snyder, who together produced legendary Batman story arcs as The Court of Owls, Death of the Family and Zero Year for DC Comics. Indie sensation Jeff Smith, creator of the fantasy epic Bone, makes rare appearance at this year’s convention. Also featured is artist Adam Kubert, best known for his work with Marvel Comics on Wolverine, Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and X-Men. He is both a graduate of and an instructor at the famed Kubert School, founded by his father, legendary artist Joe Kubert. Other creators include Skottie Young, whose current project, Rocket Raccoon ties in with Marvel’s summer blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy, fan-favorite Gail Simone, writer of Batgirl, Birds of Prey, and Wonder Woman, and Mark Waid who is the most prolific writer of popular characters such as Superman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
Participating Boston-area artists include husband and wife team Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb, Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Ming Doyle, Norman Lee, Sara Richard, and several others.
Boston Comic Con is especially proud of its showcase of 14 top women creators including: Christy Blanch, Danica Brine, Katie Cook, Danielle Corsetto, Ming Doyle, Dawn Griffin, Rebekah Isaacs, Shelli Paroline, Sara Richard, Gail Simone, Cat Staggs, Babs Tarr, Maris Wicks, and Chrissie Zullo.
“Boston Comic Con is at the forefront of supporting local artists, especially women creators. It is truly an organic, home-grown event that has gained popularity over the past few years,” said Kanieff, a Framingham resident who is also an avid collector. “We welcome everyone, from families with young children, to college students, to older comic book fans. There is something for everyone at Boston Comic Con.”
New This Year
The first Boston Comic Con Cosplay Harbor Cruise will take place on Saturday, August 9 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The cruise will be hosted by Ivy Doomkitty, international costume designer and cosplayer, and features noted cosplayers including Nicole Marie Jean, Destiny Nickelsen, and Bethany Maddock. After the harbor cruise, Boston Comic Con will host the official “after party” at Laugh Boston, at the Westin Waterfront Hotel. Also new this year, a limited number of tickets will be sold to allow early entry on the first day of Boston Comic Con, Friday, August 8 at 1 p.m., one hour before the general admission at 2 p.m.
Additionally, Marvel editor C.B. Cebulski will be on hand to provide portfolio reviews for aspiring comic artists. And this year’s exclusive t-shirt features Rocket Raccoon drawn by Guardians of the Galaxy artist Nick Bradshaw with colors by Rich Woodall.
“Not only is Boston Comic Con drawing interest from the area’s extensive comic book community, but it’s becoming a destination event that brings tourists to Boston,” said Kanieff. “The growing excitement around this convention demonstrates the strength and vibrancy of the creative community we have here in Boston and in the surrounding region.”
More information about events, artists and celebrity guests can be found on www.bostoncomiccon.com. General admission and VIP tickets are on sale now, as are tickets for celebrity photo ops. Boston Comic Con is also accepting entries for this year’s film festival.
For information on ticket sales please visit: www.bostoncomiccon.com.