WARNER BROS. TELEVISION GROUP AMPS UP THE ACTION AT COMIC-CON® 2014 WITH SUPER HEROES, SUPER-VILLAINS, SCIENTISTS, VAMPIRES, VIGILANTES AND A MASSIVE SATURDAY NIGHT EVENT WITH DC ENTERTAINMENT
Studio Brings 15 Series to Comic-Con from Top Producers Including Greg Berlanti, Bruno Heller, Greg Plageman, Julie Plec, Rob Thomas & Diane Ruggiero-Wright, Kevin Williamson and Many More
In Addition to a First Ever Saturday Night WBTV/DC Entertainment Event, Fans Won’t Want to Miss Panels and Signings with the Stars and Producers of Arrow, The Big Bang Theory, Childrens Hospital, Constantine, The Flash, The Following, Gotham, The 100, iZOMBIE, Mike Tyson Mysteries, The Originals, Person of Interest, Supernatural, Teen Titans Go! and The Vampire Diaries
BURBANK, Calif. (July 02, 2014) — It wouldn’t be summer without a sizzling, action-packed lineup from Warner Bros. Television Group at Comic-Con International: San Diego. The Studio returns to the world’s leading pop-culture convention in 2014 with 15 series, including 10 returning fan-favorite shows and five programs making their much-anticipated Comic-Con debut. Plus, for the first-time ever, Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment are joining forces for an epic special Saturday night event on July 26, as previously announced, featuring super heroes, Super-Villains, screenings and special appearances, including the world premiere of Gotham.
Participating in all the action are Comic-Con favorites and new additions including The Following’s Kevin Bacon; The Vampire Diaries’ Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder; Supernatural’s Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins; The Flash’s Grant Gustin (Arrow); Constantine’s Matt Ryan and Harold Perrineau (Lost); The Originals’ Joseph Morgan; Childrens Hospital’s Rob Corddry; Mike Tyson Mysteries’ Mike Tyson; and cast members from Gotham — to name just a few — who will join producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash), Greg Plageman (Person of Interest), Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries, The Originals), Jason Rothenberg (The 100), Rob Thomas & Diane Ruggiero-Wright (iZOMBIE, Veronica Mars), Kevin Williamson (The Following, The Vampire Diaries) and many more to deliver the ultimate experience for fans, with screenings, panel sessions, autograph signings and media appearances.
- Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment have your Saturday night all taken care of with a three-hour special event on July 26 featuring the world premiere of Gotham (the only time Gotham will screen during Comic-Con), a screening of The Flash pilot, and footage from the much-anticipated Constantine pilot and from the upcoming third season of Arrow.
- Comic-Con essentials Arrow, The Big Bang Theory, Childrens Hospital, The Following, The 100, The Originals, Person of Interest, Supernatural, Teen Titans Go! and The Vampire Diaries are all back in San Diego.
- World-premiere screenings of complete pilot episodes of highly anticipated new WBTV series The Flash, Constantine and iZOMBIE on Preview Night, plus an advance look at a new episode of Teen Titans Go!
- The Studio’s 2,400-square foot booth will once again be a must-visit destination on the convention floor
- For additional info on the Studio’s plans for Comic-Con and for real-time updates during the convention, please follow us on Twitter at @warnerbrostv — official hashtag #WBSDCC — and visit http://comiccon.thewb.com.
- To connect with WBTVG in the social space — including official Facebook pages and Twitter feeds for WBTVG series, talent and producers — check out the social media contacts page here: http://bit.ly/1mhkeCC
SPECIAL SNEAK PEEK PILOT SCREENINGS
WEDNESDAY, JULY 23
6:00 p.m. — It’s OK, you can peek — WBTV gets Comic-Con off to a dramatic start for the seventh year in a row by hosting a special sneak peek, world-premiere screening event on Preview Night, debuting some of the most hotly anticipated new series of the year. For 2014, WBTV will screen the complete pilot episodes of The Flash, Constantine and iZOMBIE. Additionally, Warner Bros. Animation will unveil a brand-new episode of Teen Titans Go! Ballroom 20
- The Flash: From the Arrow creative team of executive producers Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and director David Nutter, The Flash is a fast-paced super hero drama based upon the characters from DC Comics that follows the high-speed adventures of the Fastest Man Alive. With a pilot written by Berlanti, Kreisberg and DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, the action drama follows police scientist and everyday guy Barry Allen (Grant Gustin), who, after an unexpected Particle Accelerator accident, is suddenly charged with the ability to move at incredible speeds, which he uses to help the people of Central City.
- Constantine: Based upon the characters from DC Comics and executive produced by Daniel Cerone (Dexter) and David S. Goyer (Man of Steel, The Dark Knight films), Constantine reflects the lore of the fan-favorite comic, combining noirish storytelling with the evolving mythology of John Constantine (Matt Ryan), a morally challenged character who doesn’t come down on the side of either good or evil … but ultimately might be the only thing defending us against the dark forces from beyond.
- iZOMBIE: Co-created and executive produced by Rob Thomas & Diane Ruggiero-Wright (Veronica Mars), along with executive producers Danielle Stokdyk and Dan Etheridge (also of Veronica Mars), Rose McIver (Masters of Sex, Once Upon a Time) stars as Olivia “Liv” Moore, a 25-year-old medical resident on the fast track to a perfect life … until she’s turned into a zombie. Liv transfers her residency to the coroner’s office for access to the brains she must reluctantly eat, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she now solves homicides to quiet the voices in her head. iZOMBIE is based upon characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred for Vertigo.
- Teen Titans Go!: Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy and Raven continue the fun in Teen Titans Go! with all-new comedic adventures, giving viewers a look at what life is really like as a teen super hero … once the cape comes off.
WBTV/WBA SERIES SCHEDULE
PLEASE NOTE: Series stars and creative teams scheduled to attend are subject to change. Additional information on panel sessions, signings and other events will be provided as news breaks.
THURSDAY, JULY 24
- 6:00–7:00 p.m. — Childrens Hospital (New episodes in 2015, Adult Swim): Creator and star Rob Corddry will share an exclusive video sneak peek at season six and will be joined onstage by select members of the show’s cast for a lively — and medically accurate — Q&A. Room 25ABC
FRIDAY, JULY 25
- 10:00–11:00 a.m. — The Big Bang Theory (Mondays 8/7c CBS, season premiere September 22; Thursdays 8/7c CBS beginning October 30): Back by popular demand! The Big Bang Theory writers are back in San Diego and ready to share secrets behind TV’s #1 comedy. Ballroom 20
- 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. — iZOMBIE (Midseason on The CW): iZOMBIE makes its Comic-Con debut with a screening of the complete pilot episode, followed by a Q&A with series stars Rose McIver (Once Upon a Time), Malcolm Goodwin (Breakout Kings), newcomer Rahul Kohli and Robert Buckley (One Tree Hill), as well as executive producers Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars) and Diane Ruggiero-Wright (Veronica Mars). Room 6BCF
- 2:30–3:15 p.m. — Mike Tyson Mysteries (Premiering this fall, Adult Swim): In this new animated comedy series, Mike Tyson is taking the fight from the boxing ring to the streets … by solving mysteries! Join us for a first look at this new adult animated series and a can’t-miss panel featuring Mike Tyson, Rachel Ramras (MAD), Jim Rash (Community) and producer Hugh Davidson (The Looney Tunes Show). Indigo Ballroom
- 3:15–4:15 p.m. — The 100 (Wednesdays 9/8c The CW, season premiere October 22): After the stunning events in the season finale, join us for a special video presentation followed by a Q&A with series stars as well as executive producer Jason Rothenberg. Room 6BCF
- 4:15–5:15 p.m. — The Originals (Mondays 8/7c The CW, season premiere October 6): Last season’s top new series on The CW returns to Comic-Con! Join executive producer Julie Plec, co-executive producer Michael Narducci and series stars Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Leah Pipes and Danielle Campbell for a special video presentation followed by a Q&A. Ballroom 20
- 5:30–6:30 p.m. — Arrow (Wednesdays 8/7c The CW, season premiere October 8): Arrow series stars Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman — with executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg — will take aim at San Diego with a special video presentation and panel discussion previewing the show’s upcoming and highly-anticipated third season. Ballroom 20
SATURDAY, JULY 26
- 4:00–4:45 p.m. — The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays 8/7c The CW, season premiere October 2): The cast and creative team behind The Vampire Diaries return to San Diego for a sizzling sixth appearance at Comic-Con! Series stars Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham join executive producer/writer Julie Plec on stage for a video screening and Q&A session. Ballroom 20
- 5:15–6:15 p.m. — Constantine (Fridays 10/9c NBC, series premiere October 24): Based upon the characters from DC Comics, Constantine reflects the lore of the fan-favorite comic, combining noirish storytelling with the evolving mythology of John Constantine, a morally challenged character who doesn’t come down on the side of either good or evil … but ultimately might be the only thing defending us against the dark forces from beyond. Attendees will see a screening of the complete pilot, followed by a Q&A with series stars Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior), Harold Perrineau (Lost) and Charles Halford (True Detective), along with executive producers Daniel Cerone (Dexter) and David S. Goyer (Man of Steel, The Dark Knight films). Room 6BCF
- 6:15–7:00 p.m. — Person of Interest (Tuesdays 10/9c CBS, season premiere September 23): The smash hit Person of Interest returns to San Diego for the fourth year! Join executive producer Greg Plageman along with series stars for a special video presentation and Q&A. Room 6BCF
- 8:00–11:00 p.m. — Warner Bros. Television & DC Entertainment Present: The Flash, Constantine, Arrow and the World Premiere of Gotham with Special Appearances by Casts and Producers: For the first time ever at Comic-Con, Warner Bros. Television presents an entire evening filled with some of DC Entertainment’s greatest characters, featuring the world premiere pilot screening — and only Comic-Con screening — of the highly anticipated new series Gotham (Mondays this fall, 8/7c on FOX). The much-buzzed about pilot of The Flash will also be screened — if you can catch it — along with exclusive video presentations of returning hit Arrow and new thriller Constantine. Cast members and producers from all four shows will make special appearances on stage throughout the night. Hall H
SUNDAY, JULY 27
- 10:00–11:00 a.m. — Supernatural (Tuesdays 9/8c The CW, Season Premiere October 7): Join series stars Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins and Mark A. Sheppard, along with executive producer Jeremy Carver as they answer questions from the audience about what’s in store for the tenth season of this exciting series, including its upcoming 200th episode! Fans will also be treated to an exclusive video presentation featuring series highlights, and special features from the upcoming Supernatural: The Complete Ninth Season DVD and Blu-ray™ release. Hall H
- 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m. — The Following (Midseason on FOX): Hit thriller The Following returns to Comic-Con for a third year! Series stars Kevin Bacon, Shawn Ashmore, Sam Underwood and Jessica Stroup will join creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson and executive producers Marcos Siega and Jennifer Johnson for an on-stage Q&A and special video presentation. Hall H
- 11:45 a.m.–12:45 p.m. — Teen Titans Go! (Thursdays 6/5c Cartoon Network): Find out what’s in store for Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, Cyborg and Raven — or just throw a meatball party with your friends! The Teen Titans are back at it again with all-new comedic adventures and, after screening a brand-new episode, there will be a Q&A with producers Michael Jelenic (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) and Aaron Horvath (MAD) and members of the voice cast. Plus, making a special appearance at the panel will be Puffy AmiYumi, the Japanese pop duo responsible for the iconic theme song from the original Teen Titans series. Room 6BCF
FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX! BOOM! BOX ANNOUNCES ‘LUMBERJANES’ SCOUT PATCHES
July 1, 2014 – Los Angeles, CA – By popular demand, BOOM! Box, the newest imprint of award-winning publisher BOOM! Studios, announced it will make available Lumberjanes Scout Patches for sale to fans, starting with an exclusive set available for purchase at the BOOM! Studios booth (#2229) at Comic-Con International, to be held at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA, July 24-27.
The patches are based on the unique badges that have been a prominent feature of the hit LUMBERJANES comic book series, in which the five main characters—Molly, Mal, April, Jo, and Ripley—earn them for their different achievements while away at Miss Quinzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for “Hardcore Lady Types.” LUMBERJANES was created by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, and Noelle Stevenson. It is written by Ellis and Stevenson, and illustrated by Brooke Allen.
In addition, as a testament to the growing popularity of the series since its launch in April, BOOM! Box revealed that pre-release orders for issue #4 (on sale July 9th in comic shops) have exceeded that of issue #1, a rare achievement for non-#1 issues.
Each iron-on patch is a perfect embroidered replica of the badges featured in the book, which were designed by artist Kate Leth (BRAVEST WARRIORS, ADVENTURE TIME: SEEING RED). The set will include the following patches:
Naval Gauging Badge – Awarded for proficiency in canoeing…and of course, for successfully navigating monster-infested waters
Pungeon Master Badge – Awarded for being exceptionally pun-ny
Up All Night Badge – Awarded for staying awake all night and up out of your bed after lights out
Exclusive San Diego Comic-Con Badge – To be revealed!
The Lumberjanes Scout Patches Set will retail for $20 and will be available for sale at BOOM! Studios’ San Diego Comic-Con booth (#2229), while supplies last. Subsequent badges will be available in the coming months on a unit basis from the BOOM! Studios webstore for $6 each, which includes a $1 shipping charge.
LUMBERJANES #4 arrives in comic shops on July 9th with a cover price of $3.99 under Diamond Order Code MAY141177. It features a main cover illustrated by Noelle Stevenson and a retailer incentive cover by Kris Anka. Not sure where to find your nearest comic retailer? Use comicshoplocator.com or findacomicshop.com to find one! It’s also available for order directly from boom-studios.com.
ABOUT BOOM! STUDIOS
Founded by Ross Richie in 2005, Diamond Gem Award-winning “Best Publisher” BOOM! Studios (boom-studios.com) generates a constellation of best-selling Eisner and Harvey Award-winning original and licensed comic books and graphic novels with the industry’s top talent. BOOM! Studios is the home of Mike Carey’s SUICIDE RISK, Clive Barker’s NEXT TESTAMENT and HELLRAISER, Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos’ FAIRY QUEST, PLANET OF THE APES, Max Bemis’ POLARITY and Mark Waid’s IRREDEEMABLE. Steven Grant’s graphic novel 2 GUNS was recently released as a feature film from Universal Pictures, starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. BOOM!’s all-ages imprint KaBOOM! publishes Charles Schulz’ PEANUTS, Jim Davis’ GARFIELD, Cartoon Network’s ADVENTURE TIME and REGULAR SHOW, Mike Kunkel’s HEROBEAR AND THE KID, and Roger Langridge’s Eisner Award-winning SNARKED. In June 2013, BOOM! acquired Archaia Entertainment (archaia.com). Archaia is the Eisner and Harvey Award-winning graphic novel publisher of MOUSE GUARD, COW BOY, GUNNERKRIGG COURT, RUST, SPERA, JIM HENSON’S TALE OF SAND, and many other great titles. In October 2013, BOOM! Studios entered into a unique first-look relationship with 20th Century Fox, giving the studio access to its library of titles and giving the publisher access to Fox’s vast catalog of films.
WARNER BROS. TELEVISION AND DC ENTERTAINMENT JOIN FORCES TO PRESENT THE FIRST EVER WBTV/DC ENTERTAINMENT SATURDAY NIGHT, FEATURING THE WORLD PREMIERE OF GOTHAM AND MUCH MORE ON SATURDAY, JULY 26 AT COMIC-CON 2014
DC Comics Fans Get Ready for the Only Comic-Con Screening of Gotham, a Complete Pilot Screening of The Flash, Plus Exclusive Footage From Constantine and Season Three of Arrow
BURBANK, Calif. (June 30, 2014) — Get ready for a spectacular Saturday night at Comic-Con 2014, courtesy of Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) and DC Entertainment (DCE). For the first time ever at SDCC, WBTV and DCE will present a three-hour special event on Saturday night, July 26, designed specifically for DC Comics fans and featuring some of DC Comics’ greatest characters. Kicking off the exclusive evening is the world premiere public screening of the highly anticipated new drama series Gotham (the only screening of Gotham at this year’s Comic-Con), followed by a screening of the complete pilot of new action-drama The Flash, and exclusive video presentations from returning hit Arrow and new thriller Constantine. Cast members and producers from all four shows will make special appearances throughout the night.
- Gotham World Premiere: For the first time ever, DC Comics fans will enter the dangerous and compelling world of Gotham with a screening of the pilot episode, followed by an appearance by the cast and producers.
- The Flash Pilot Screening: Following a full-length screening of The Flash pilot, cast and producers will stop running long enough to take the stage.
- Constantine Exclusive Footage: The enigmatic John Constantine makes his television debut at Comic-Con with footage from the upcoming series, and fans will be treated to a visit from the cast and creative team.
- Arrow Season Three: Arrow returns to Comic-Con with never-before-seen teaser footage from the upcoming third season followed by cast and producers taking on fans’ most pointed questions.
Additional WBTV Comic-Con 2014 panels will be announced in the near future. For additional information about WBTV activities at Comic-Con, please follow us on Twitter at @warnerbrostv and join in the conversation by using hashtag #WBSDCC, or visit http://comiccon.thewb.com.
Before there was Batman, there was Gotham. The origin story of some of DC Comics greatest Super-Villains and vigilantes, this one hour drama follows Detective Jim Gordon’s rise to power in a dangerously corrupt city that would spawn iconic characters such as The Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler and a young Bruce Wayne. Airing Mondays at 8/7c this fall on FOX, Gotham stars Ben McKenzie (Southland), Donal Logue (Vikings), Sean Pertwee (Elementary), Robin Lord Taylor (The Walking Dead), Erin Richards (Being Human), David Mazouz (Touch), Camren Bicondova, Zabryna Guevara (Burn Notice), Cory Michael Smith (Camp X-Ray), Victoria Cartagena (The Good Wife), Andrew Stewart-Jones (Person of Interest) and Jada Pinkett Smith (The Matrix films). Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome) wrote the Gotham pilot, which was directed by Danny Cannon (Nikita). Heller, Cannon and John Stephens (Gossip Girl) are executive producers of the series, which is based on the characters from DC Comics and is a production of Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GOTHAMonFOX, and follow the show on Twitter at @Gotham.
About The Flash
This lightning-paced super hero drama follows the high-speed adventures of the Fastest Man Alive. After an unexpected accident with a Particle Accelerator, police scientist and everyday guy Barry Allen finds himself suddenly charged with the ability to move at incredible speeds, which he uses to help the people of Central City. Premiering October 7 and airing Tuesdays at 8/7c on The CW, The Flash stars Grant Gustin (Arrow, Glee), Candice Patton (The Game), Rick Cosnett (The Vampire Diaries), Danielle Panabaker (Friday the 13th), Carlos Valdes, with Tom Cavanagh (Ed, Scrubs) and Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order). John Wesley Shipp (The Flash ) guest stars. Greg Berlanti (Arrow, Green Lantern), Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow, Fringe) and DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns wrote The Flash pilot, which was directed by David Nutter (Arrow, Game of Thrones, Smallville). Berlanti, Kreisberg, Nutter and Sarah Schechter (upcoming Peter Pan feature film) are executive producers of The Flash, which is based upon the characters from DC Comics and is produced by Bonanza Productions, Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of The Flash on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CWTheFlash, and follow the show on Twitter at @CW_TheFlash.
John Constantine is a man waging war against the forces of darkness — from both within himself and the outside world. An irreverent con-man and occult expert, he doesn’t come down on the side of either good or evil…but ultimately might be the only thing defending us against the dark forces from beyond. Premiering October 24, Constantine will air Fridays at 10/9c on NBC and stars Matt Ryan (The Tudors) as John Constantine, Charles Halford (True Detective) as Chas and Harold Perrineau (Lost) as Manny. Based on the characters from DC Comics and produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television, Constantine is executive produced by Daniel Cerone (Dexter, The Mentalist) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight trilogy). Neil Marshall (The Descent) directed the pilot from a teleplay by Cerone and story by Cerone & Goyer. Become a fan of Constantine at www.facebook.com/Constantine and follow the show on Twitter at @NBCConstantine.
After being gone for five years, during which time he suffered unimaginable ordeals, billionaire Oliver Queen returned home to Starling City with a mysterious agenda and a new set of skills that he uses in a war on crime in this hard-hitting action series. Returning for its third season October 8, Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW. Starring Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, with John Barrowman and Paul Blackthorne, Arrow was developed and is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg. Based upon the characters from DC Comics, Arrow is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CWArrow, and follow the show on Twitter at @CW_Arrow.
VALIANT Heads South for FLORIDA SUPERCON – This Weekend in Miami!
From Thursday, July 3rd through Sunday, July 6th, join Valiant for a holiday weekend packed with signings, special guests, and convention-only exclusives, only at Florida Supercon – Miami’s largest comic book and pop culture convention!
Join Valiant all weekend long at Booth #736 inside the Miami Beach Convention Center for signings from New York Times best-selling artist and creator Clayton Henry (Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong)! Plus, stop by to shop a complete collection of hardcover and trade paperback collections, Valiant merchandise, and convention-only exclusives that can’t be found anywhere else!
Then, round out the weekend with the VALIANT FIRST AND BEYOND panel presentation on Saturday, July 5th at 4:15 PM in the Flamingo 3 Ballroom! As Valiant steamrolls into yet another super-summer, find out what the future holds for the publisher’s power-packed VALIANT FIRST line-up of new series – including RAI, ARMOR HUNTERS, THE DELINQUENTS, THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE, and more – with an all-star panel including Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani and special surprise guests!
We’ll see you in Miami!
For tickets, programming information, and more, visit FloridaSuperCon.com.
ToyConNJ will premiere on June 28 & 29th in 2014 and be hosted at the Parsippany P.A.L. Building on 33 Baldwin Road, Parsippany, NJ 07054. There will be over 170+ tables of Celebrity Guests, Comic & Graphic Artists, Exhibitors, Current & Vintage –Toys, Comics, Movie Memorabilia and collectibles all for a regular admission price of $5.00 and children under 12 free. There is a full access weekend pass available for $20 on the website.
Anyone attending in full costume will be admitted free and will be eligible to enter the cash prize costume contest on Saturday Evening from 4 to 5 PM. Attendees are also welcome to bring their Toy & Collectible items that they can enter into the live auction, also on Saturday Evening from 5 to 8 PM. There will be door prizes given away every hour on the hour.
This show is being brought to you by the same promoter, that has for over 23+ years,’ brought full family fun Toy & Collectibles Shows to NJ.
Information can be found on the show website at www.toyconnj.com or by calling 973-726-9897. ToyConNJ will be back again at the same location on October 18 & 19 / 2014.
ConCarolinas is a general sci-fi and fantasy convention held annually in Charlotte, NC. Attendance was 300 in the inaugural year, 2002, and the guests were small potatoes, but those days are done. Well over 2,000 people (my estimate) showed up this year, and the guest of honor was a bona fide celeb: George R. R. Martin, creator of Game of Thrones. Other guests included Anthony Montgomery from Star Trek: Enterprise and Laura Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott from the original Dark Shadows.
Sounds accomplished, right? GRRM was announced over a year ago—not even Comic Con International is that foregoing—so I expected the con to run like a thoroughly Penzoiled Sprint Cup chassis. In some areas, it did. Events started and stopped on time, and they were easy to find, for the most part. One exception was the ballroom divided into three smaller rooms that the schedule called, noninformatively, “Main,” “Programming 2,” and “Programming 3.” I missed the start of one panel because it was scheduled for Programming 3 but took place in Main, and each time I passed these rooms, the only sign I saw bore the Hilton’s name for the room: Lakeshore.
This plaint is piddling, however. The real mess came with Saturday’s GRRM autograph session. It was scheduled for 3:00, and by 12:15, a line was evident. “You should get in line now,” my wife said, to which I replied, “But the sign says the line will start forming at 2:00.” A woman of few words when she’s right, thank God, she pointed to the dozen or so people standing there. Just then, another two or three walked up. I assumed the position.
A few minutes later, a con staffer—I’ll call her “Bee”—came over to wrecking-ball the line. “We’ll start the line at 2:00,” she announced. Until then, we should “go enjoy the rest of the con.” Instead, the now-twenty of us moved six feet away to flank the concrete steps that led from the hotel entrance to a duck pond. Unsatisfied, Bee told us to move on, saying she had to “keep the steps clear.” They were currently so clear that piano movers could have carried a Steinway up them.
A guy who looked like Robert Downey, Jr. tried to tell Bee she was being unreasonable. We had paid for admission, he argued, and it was our prerogative to waste three hours in line—a line that had formed against the fence surrounding the patio, well out of the way. Someone else offered that there was “nothing else to do,” which hurt Downey, Jr.’s case. He wanted to negotiate, not inflame.
Bee was having none of it. She walked away and returned with con security, one of whom asked us nicely, in contrast to his Ghiscari Legion cosplay, to disperse. Downey, Jr. stood up defeatedly. “It’s a little unnecessary,” he said, more soliloquy than direct address, “but whatever.” And we moved away.
Things were tense after that. People arrived by the minute, and because we couldn’t form a line, we had to hang around pretending that we weren’t forming one. Annoyance passed from one person to the next, growing with each utterance as in the telephone game. “This is literally why we bought tickets,” one person said. “I don’t think they were ready for this kind of crowd,” said another. I took a philosophical tack. The con staff had taken an orderly line that had arisen spontaneously and, through human agency, made it into a mob. Maybe they were anarchists.
At 1:16, Bee pulled out a megaphone and announced, “If you are gathered here in order to rush the line, your badge will be taken, and you will be escorted off.” All 100 of us? 200? Versus her little honor guard? We didn’t move. When a Canada goose wandered off the pond, Bee walked up to it and blared through her megaphone, “This is a goose-free zone.” She said it to be funny, but nobody laughed. Too much had passed between her and us.
By 1:45, at least 400 people had gathered. The original group was still camped on the concrete steps, with newcomers forming parallel lines that stretched alongside the duck pond toward the hotel parking lot. About every thirty minutes, a con employee walked between the lines, urging us to keep the sidewalk clear because “the fire marshal is here,” though I never saw anyone official-looking. One person dubbed our station “the line to get into the line,” and we laughed—finally.
At 2:00, Bee started assembling the line. She did it fairly, calling ten people at a time from different spots, starting with the ur-group on the steps. I got in with the seventh summoning. My reward was to wait another hour before the 3:00 start, though this was better: Revolution had been averted, and I was now guaranteed an autograph. GRRM was scheduled to sign for only an hour, and those who didn’t reach him during that time might be turned away. (When someone griped about this, Bee said simply, “He is not a machine.”)
In all, I waited from 12:15 to nearly 4:00 to meet George R. R. Martin, and it was over with a few strokes of his pen. But it was worth it. The writer was gracious, even charming, and he signed two books for me. Autographs are my favorite part of conventions, and Downey, Jr. was right: You can have fun just sitting and waiting. Looking at cosplays. Writing a story (I got most of this done during the downtime). My wife and I rounded out the day with a couple of panels and that evening’s charity auction, hosted by podcaster and voice actor Rich Sigfrit, who also moderated a sci-fi-centric Whose Line Is It Anyway? starring the improv comedy group Pineapple-Shaped Lamps.
So that was it from Charlotte and the 13th ConCarolinas. Next year is already shaping up to be a good one with writer John Scalzi as the guest of honor. My next stop: Charlotte again for Heroes Convention on June 19. Maybe I’ll see you there!
Indication #1 you are at a sci-fi convention.
Indication # you are at a sci-fi convention.
Guys, no need to fight. There are enough tickets for everyone.
I would have seen GRRM sooner if it weren’t for those meddling kids!
Inside the dealer room.
People came from all over for this convention. Even Golgotha.
No, Johnny Depp was not there. Would have been awesome, though.
GRRM signing line: the Haves . . .
. . . and the Have-Nots
I’m not sure why I bought so much stuff at the auction. Any ideas?
GRRM addresses fans during one of his readings.
Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott pose for a picture.
DARK HORSE ANNOUNCES PHOENIX COMICON 2014 SCHEDULE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | MILWAUKIE, OR - Join Dark Horse Comics for our first visit to Phoenix Comicon! We’ll be at booth #535—handing out giveaways and offering free signings with comics creators! Come check out our comics, books, and products for sale—including an exclusive Phoenix Comicon comic!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Certain restrictions may apply. All events are subject to change.
Thursday, June 5
Star Wars: Rebel Heist #1 Phoenix Comicon Exclusive Adam Hughes Cover Variant goes on sale!
Total quantity available for sale at the show: 1,000
Limit: 10 copies per person, per day
Note: Most copies will be released for sale on Thursday, but a set quantity will be set aside for sale on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings.
Below are featured comics and the writers and/or artists who will be signing them. Free comics, prints, or posters will be available at each signing while supplies last. Comics will also be available for sale, availability pending.
Friday, June 6
11:00 a.m. ELFQUEST Richard Pini (writer) and Wendy Pini (writer/artist)
12:00 p.m. CRIMINAL MACABRE Christopher Mitten (artist)
1:00 p.m. MASS EFFECT: FOUNDATION, X Tony Parker (artist)
STAR WARS: REBEL HEIST, STAR WARS: DAWN OF THE JEDI, GHOST Dan Parsons (artist)
2:00 p.m. BAD BLOOD, WITCHFINDER, B.P.R.D. Tyler Crook (artist)/GRINDHOUSE Alex de Campi (writer)
3:00 p.m. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Amber Benson (writer/actress)
4:00 p.m. THE FIFTH BEATLE Vivek J. Tiwary (writer)
5:30 p.m. CONAN THE AVENGER, BRAIN BOY, THE COMPLETE SILENCERS, ACTION PHILOSOPHERS! Fred Van Lente (writer)
6:00 p.m. THE STRAIN Mike Huddleston (artist)
Saturday, June 7
11:00 a.m. ALIENS: FIRE AND STONE Chris Roberson (writer)
*Free print! Aliens: Fire and Stone #1 on sale September 2014.
12:00 p.m. GRINDHOUSE Alex de Campi (writer)
1:00 p.m. THE STRAIN Mike Huddleston (artist)
2:00 p.m. NEXUS Mike Baron (writer)
3:00 p.m. CONAN THE AVENGER, BRAIN BOY, THE COMPLETE SILENCERS, ACTION PHILOSOPHERS! Fred Van Lente (writer)
4:30 p.m. THE FIFTH BEATLE Vivek J. Tiwary (writer)
6:00 p.m. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Christopher Golden (writer) and Amber Benson (writer/actress)
Sunday, June 8
11:00 a.m. GRINDHOUSE Alex de Campi (writer)
12:00 p.m. BAD BLOOD, WITCHFINDER, B.P.R.D. Tyler Crook (artist)
1:00 p.m. BALTIMORE Christopher Golden (writer)
2:00 p.m. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Amber Benson (writer/actress)
Friday, June 6
3:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. Spotlight Panel: Fred Van Lente (North 128b)
Fred Van Lente has done it all. With work ranging from semieducational funnies to superhero reboots, he is widely regarded as one of the most unique voices in modern comics. Did we mention zombies? He’s done that too. Now, join us for a look back at his storied career so far, as well as a glimpse into what’s next for comics’ rising star, with announcements and more!
Saturday, June 7
12:00–1:00 p.m. ElfQuest: The Final Quest (North 129a)
For the last 35 years, Wendy and Richard Pini have delighted fans with one of alternative comics’ most rich and storied worlds. Now, in partnership with Dark Horse, the Wolfriders embark on the “Final Quest,” to fulfill a destiny over three decades in the making!
3:00–4:00 p.m. Drawing on Your Nightmares: Modern Horror in Comics!
One of the cornerstones of the Dark Horse publishing line since the early years has been an original take on the horror genre. Now, join us for a look at what’s to come in this year’s lineup with a cast of writers and artists who are poised to thrill you and chill you. Christopher Golden (Baltimore), Chris Roberson (Aliens), Alex de Campi (Grindhouse), Tyler Crook (Witchfinder), Mike Huddleston (The Strain), and Christopher Mitten (Criminal Macabre) are joined by Dark Horse’s own Aub Driver for a discussion on “bringing scary back.”
3:00–4:00 p.m. The Fifth Beatle (West 211)
The Fifth Beatle is a graphic novel about the Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein, written by Vivek Tiwary. Vivek talks about the graphic novel (a 2014 Eisner Award nominee) and the upcoming movie based upon it.
Sunday, June 8
12:00–1:00 p.m. 30 Years and Counting: Comics Classics in the Modern Age (ElfQuest: 1978; Nexus: 1981, Groo: 1982) (North 128b)
In the late 1970s and early ’80s, some of the most inventive and inspired alternative comics found a place on shelves. ElfQuest offered a unique vision of black and white fantasy, while Nexus gave readers a version of the superhero idea more rooted in science fiction than capes and cowls. Meanwhile, Groo the Wanderer took a humorous take on the sword and sorcery genre, popularized by the likes of Conan the Barbarian in the previous decade. Over 30 years later, we pay tribute to some of comics’ longest-running ongoing collaborations for a discussion with the creators themselves! Join Richard and Wendy Pini (ElfQuest), Mike Baron (Nexus), and Mark Evanier (Groo) as they share the secrets to the success of a few of comics’ most revered story lines!
TAMPA BAY COMIC CON CONTINUES TO SIGN MAJOR TALENT
MOR Gets Set To Launch First Sweepstakes Promotion
Tampa, Fla. (April 23, 2014) – As Tampa Bay Comic Con signs “Game of Thrones” star Richard Madden, adding to an already stellar lineup, MOR Tampa Bay’s most watched entertainment station and America’s #1* announces its plans on launching its first Tampa Bay Comic Con sweepstakes promotion! Mr. Madden is also playing the role of Prince Charming in Disney’s highly anticipated 2015 motion picture release of “Cinderella”.
“It’s certainly exciting having Richard [Madden] on-board for the upcoming Tampa Bay Comic Con. We are already well known by Game of Thrones fans from our guests last year. Solidifying TBCC as an event that draws big names from around the world, that no other similar event has ever drawn, is a big positive”, said Tampa Bay Comic Con Promoter Stephen Solomon.
The Tampa Bay Comic Con presented by MOR will be returning to the Tampa Convention Center on August 1-3, 2014, taking over the venue in its entirety. Already they’ve signed several stars from film and television, including Evan Peters of “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, Chloe Bennet of “Agents of the S.H.I.E.L.D,” Brighton Sharbino of “The Walking Dead,” and more! Tampa Bay Comic Con features a large exhibit hall, eclectic programming and numerous professionals from the world of publishing (writers) and illustration, along with a selection of celebrity guests from the most popular TV shows and movies.
“We’re gearing up for what we expect are going to be fun promotions leading up to TBCC”, said MOR President & General Manager Ken Lucas. “We’re also thrilled to hear the news about their acquisition of Richard Madden for the event.”
Tickets for Tampa Bay Comic Con 2014 are available at www.tampabaycomiccon.com. Look for MOR to launch its first Tampa Bay Comic Con “Watch and Win” sweepstakes sometime in early June, when someone’s going to get a shot at “V.I.P.” treatment. MOR-TV can be seen over the air on MOR-TV at 32.1, and on cable on Bright House 12/HD 1012, Verizon-Fios 12/HD 512 and Comcast 12/HD 437.
*Source: Nielsen, Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) DMA,
Nov ’13 A18-49 Live+SD
ABOUT TAMPA BAY COMIC CON
The Tampa Bay Comic Con will be returning to the Tampa Convention Center on August 1-3, 2014, taking over the venue in its entirety. 2013 showed explosive growth for the Tampa Bay Comic Con, drawing approximately 28,000 attendees, making it one of the largest pop culture events in the southeast. The event features a large exhibit hall, eclectic programming and numerous professionals from the world of publishing (writers) and illustration, along with a selection of celebrity guests from the most popular TV shows and movies.
MOR-TV is a Hearst Television owned and operated television station in Tampa Bay and is one of America’s top Independents. MOR-TV, America’s most watched independent television station features the best in off-network comedies and dramas featuring The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy, 30 Rock, The Office, Law & Order: SVU and more! MOR-TV is also one of three stations in a group that includes thisTV Tampa Bay a 24hr over-the-air movie channel featuring blockbuster motion pictures, and estrellaTV Tampa Bay, the fastest growing Hispanic entertainment channel in America. MOR-TV’s website is www.mor-tv.com.
My feet were hurting. Throbbing, in fact. With blisters on each ball and heel, even short walks delivered a four square of pain. Ever had a pebble trapped in your shoe? How about a shuriken? Watching me walk, people must have thought, “The poor man. Must have forgotten his crutches. How can he get around on two broken legs?”
I was in this predicament thanks to walking twenty-seven miles in one weekend, mostly around the latest Wizard World Comic Con, which was held May 2-4 in Minneapolis. It was that city’s first-ever Wizard World con, and everything from guests to vendors to venue—the 87-room, 475,000-square-foot downtown convention center—was spectacular.
Headlining the event were Matt Smith and Karen Gillan from Doctor Who. Gillan, a former model, played traveling companion to Smith’s Doctor in series 5-7. I saw her on Saturday, smiling and chatting, her hair in a bun, amid a sea of fans. Smith showed up the next day, and the two had a joint photo op—the third time in North America that this had happened (the first two were the Louisville Comic Con and the St. Louis Comic Con). Other stars were William Shatner, Robert Englund, Ernie Hudson, Ralph Macchio, Neal Adams, Mike Grell, and Lou Ferrigno (my interview with Ferrigno will appear on ConventionScene in a few days). Other events included celebrity one-on-ones, panel discussions, a film festival, RPG tournaments, speed dating, at least 75 exhibitors, and a cosplay contest.
I caught most of Ralph Macchio’s one-on-one session on Saturday afternoon. Now 52 years old, Macchio delights in the Karate Kid franchise, though it used to bother him. In the early 90s, he said, he struggled to find acting work, and there were days he stayed hidden at home because he couldn’t face another “wax on, wax off” encounter. But film quotes were not all that fans said to him. Some told him how the movie had helped them deal with bullying, or it had changed their lives in other ways. When he thought about those people, he realized he would be “foolish” to reject his legacy. Ralph Macchio is a funny, humble guy who likes the Karate Kid re-make (though he doesn’t see it as “iconic”) and who is hoping his future includes more voice acting (he has done several episodes of Robot Chicken). And do his two kids understand their dad’s place in cinematic history? Macchio told the story of his son Daniel (hmm . . . coincidence?) coming across a trove of magazines and other memorabilia from the 80s. The boy raced into his sister’s bedroom and said, “Julia! Dad was huge and we missed it!”
Minneapolis was cold this May—unseasonably so, according to one native, which is just my luck—but the city was grand, the people welcoming, and the comic con a smash hit. If you weren’t there, browse the photos below to see what you missed. Next I am off to ConCarolinas (May 30-June 1) in the Queen City, Charlotte. Maybe I’ll see you!
Day 1 of Minneapolis’s first-ever Wizard World
Can’t wait to get in!
I had trouble finding a parking spot, so . . .
Robert Englund plans his next nightmare.
Deadpool! Get out of the picture!
A couple of convention security officers.
Minnesota isn’t quite the Caribbean, but this pirate didn’t mind.
Look just under the poster of Karen Gillan to see the real Karen Gillan.
My cell phone wasn’t working, so I asked this guy to call my wife. With his mind.
Yes, it’s bigger on the inside, but how many licks does it take to get the Tootsie Roll center?
I thought about asking this guy for directions but decided against it.
Who scheduled a dance competition on the same weekend as Wizard World?!
FAIRY TALES AND THE KING OF MONSTERS TOGETHER IN ORLANDO!
ORLANDO, FL – Kick off the summer with one of the greatest fan events to come to Orlando!
Spooky Empire’s May-Hem convention takes place May 30th-June 1st at The DoubleTree at Universal Studios 5780 Major Blvd, Orlando, FL 32819). A three day weekend with something for everyone!
The first of two Spooky Empire conventions in 2014 brings a fantastic guest list covering not just the horror genre but SciFi, Fantasy, Rock n Roll and more!
Celebrate two film anniversaries starting with actors from the original 1954 “Godzilla” film. Akira Takarada and Haruo Nakajima (the man behind the Godzilla mask) make a rare convention appearance together to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the original film and of course the most recent hit the “Godzilla 2014” redo.
The second appearance would honor the 30th Anniversary of “A Nightmare on Elm Street”. Meet original cast members Robert Englund “Freddy Krueger”, Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss and Ronee Blakley.
“Once Upon a Time” fans get a real treat when cast members make a rare first time appearance together. Meet Lana Parrilla “Regina” (her first convention appearance), Lee Arenberg “Grumpy”, Rebecca Mader “The Wicked Witch”, and Sean Maguire “Robin Hood”. The cast will be available for autographs, photo ops and a Q&A!
To round off this guest list full of headliners is writer and director John Carpenter. John Carpenter’s list of classic films include “Halloween”, “They Live”, “Escape From New York”, “Christine” and countless more.
Spooky Empire always brings a little rock ‘n’ roll to the mix! This year they’ve added “Misfits” members Doyle and Dr. Chud, “The Ramones” own Marky Ramone, and even Ex-“Runaways” members Lita Ford and Cherie Currie.
Wrestling fanactics do not want to miss out on our Friday event “In the Pit with Piper” featuring the one and only “Rowdy” Roddy Piper and Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka! This will be and event to go down in history!
Plus tons more celebrity guests available for meet and greets and autographs all weekend including Disney’s own Pat Carroll (Ursula) from “The Little Mermaid, Jamie Kennedy “Scream” and “Ghost Whisperer”, Laurie Holden “The Walking Dead” and even a gathering of the original “Halloween” cast with Nick Castle, P.J. Soles, Charles Cyphers, Will Sandin, Nancy Loomis and Tommy Lee Wallace!
Spooky Empire is not just about the guests, they have some monstrous events lined up as always. Check out the schedule for events such as : Huge vendor room, live performances, panels and Q&As, Tattoo Festival with special guest artists, Charity Poker Tournament, Monster Museums, films, and for the first time a Dia De Los Muertos Opening Party which takes place starting at 12pm on Friday afternoon.
Closing out the weekend is Spooky Empire’s annual costume contest on Sunday. This year’s contest is sponsored by Orlando’s “Legends: A Haunting at Old Town”. $1,000 in cash prizes and more for winners!
Get your discount advance tickets online now! Just $50 for a 3 day pass ($60 at the door). Daily passes available as well!
Visit spookyempire.com for more information or call the Spooky Empire Hotline at 954-258-7852
Spooky Empire, Inc.