Guest artists Christopher Peterson and Nick Johnson appear at Alpha Comics on Saturday May 3rd for Free Comic Book Day! The first 30 people lined up will receive a ticket. At the counter turn in your ticket for a free grab bag. What inside the grab bag? One graphic novel, six free comics, and a rare variant edition comic. Further details at the link!
Lynnwood Shopping Centre #9
7005 18th Street S.E., Calgary, AB T2C 1Y1, Canada
A Super Hero For Every Generation
Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment Celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary
New Batman 75th Commemorative Logo Unveiled
To mark the milestone 75th anniversary of DC Comics’ Batman, Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have revealed plans for a year-long celebration befitting the world’s most popular Super Hero. Highlights of the anniversary program, which starts today, include a new commemorative 75th anniversary Batman logo and an exclusive “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit, featuring 20 contemporary artists’ interpretation of The Dark Knight’s iconic cowl headpiece and cape from the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight videogame. There will also be 75th anniversary-related activities across all of Warner Bros. Entertainment throughout the year.
First appearing in the comic book Detective Comics #27, which hit newsstands on March 30, 1939, featuring artwork by Bob Kane and a script by Bill Finger, Batman emerged from the shadows to become the world’s most popular Super Hero and dominate all media. In feature films, TV shows, radio, video games, publishing and merchandise, this most human of Super Heroes has battled some of fiction’s greatest villains using his intellect, cunning and an arsenal of gadgets to further his quest for justice.
“Batman is an incredibly important property with multi-generational appeal across all of the Studio’s businesses, and we’re proud to celebrate this milestone anniversary,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “From billion-dollar blockbuster films to TV, home entertainment, video games and consumer products, The Dark Knight continues to resonate with audiences worldwide and rightfully deserves his place as a global pop culture icon for the ages.”
Batman is the single most successful Super Hero film franchise in history and there have been more theatrical movies released based on Batman than any other comic book character. In video games, the Batman Arkham franchise is also the most successful Super Hero game concept ever. Batman consistently breaks records in every incarnation of his character and remains the gold standard by which all other comic book sales are measured.
“Batman is one of the greatest characters ever created, in comics or elsewhere, and even after 75 years he continues to wildly fascinate fans. He is an integral part of pop culture and has successfully captured the imagination of the entire world,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment and President & Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The origin of Batman, Bruce Wayne and the famous citizens of Gotham are legendary and likely a story you know inside out, even if you’ve never picked up a comic book in your life, and that speaks volumes to the character’s immense popularity and the constructs of the original mythology.”
The first published adventure of The Bat-Man (as he was then known) was in the May 1939 issue of Detective Comics #27, conceived of and drawn by a 22-year-old Kane with his frequent collaborator, Bill Finger, scripting the story. The character was so successful, that one year later the first comic book devoted exclusively to the Caped Crusader’s adventures, Batman #1, hit newsstands. In that issue, Batman battled The Joker and Catwoman for the first time.
Now, DC Entertainment and the Studio’s various divisions, including Pictures, Television, Animation, Interactive Entertainment, Home Entertainment and Consumer Products, will mark this extraordinary 75th anniversary with a range of highly anticipated events and products.
The new commemorative logo, also released today across social media and websites, takes its cue from the famed Bat symbol, and features block-style lettering of “75 Years.” The mark will be rolled out on Batman-related promotions, products and initiatives.
Key activities planned for the Batman 75th anniversary celebration include:
- DC Entertainment – DC Entertainment has an action-packed year filled with new Batman titles, commemorative issues and variant covers, including the recently released special edition of Detective Comics #27 commemorating Batman’s first appearance in the book in 1939, the new weekly series Batman Eternal launching April 9, and upcoming exclusive Batman variant covers planned for San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Batman Day – DC Entertainment is also partnering with thousands of comic retailers, book stores and libraries for “Batman Day” on Wednesday, July 23. Each location will host a Batman 75th anniversary celebration and offer fans a free, special edition Batman comic.
- Interactive Entertainment – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has invited celebrated fashion designer Asher Levine to create a cape and cowl based on the Batsuit of the recently announced Batman: Arkham Knight videogame developed by Rocksteady Studios. Favorite contemporary artists will have the opportunity to use the replicas as a blank canvas to produce their own, original interpretations of Batman’s iconic attire for an all new “Cape/Cowl/Create” art exhibit that will be showcased at San Diego Comic-Con International in July.
- Home Entertainment – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will bring fans an array of new Batman titles throughout the year, including the highly anticipated release of the Batman ’66 TV series for the first time ever. Other new releases include animated films Son of Batman (May 6) and Assault on Arkham (summer 2014). Additionally, a 25th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman feature film will be released in the fall.
- Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.
- Television –Warner Bros. Television is in production on the pilot episode of the highly anticipated Gotham, a new one-hour drama for FOX which explores the origin stories of eventual police commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Detective Gordon (Ben McKenzie – Southland) will encounter a familiar cast of characters – including a young Bruce Wayne – as he fights to keep the city safe. Executive producer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, Rome) wrote the pilot, which is being directed by executive producer Danny Cannon (CSI series, Nikita)
- Pictures – As Batman’s 75th anniversary is celebrated in 2014, Warner Bros. Pictures will begin production of Zack Snyder’s untitled Superman/Batman film starring Henry Cavill, who reprises his role as Superman/Clark Kent, and Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film, slated for release summer 2016, will bring the two most iconic Super Heroes of all time together for the first time on the big screen.
- Consumer Products – Warner Bros. Consumer Products has partnered with an array of licensees to celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary through special edition and limited-release products. From the classic 1960s TV series to modern day comics, Batman’s presence will be larger than ever in celebration of his legacy through everything from toys to t-shirts.
- DCComics.com – For the latest information and exclusive content celebrating Batman’s 75th anniversary, visit www.Batman75.com. The dedicated section on DC Comics’ website launches today with the Batman 75 Sweepstakes which offers one lucky fan a one-of-a-kind prize package.
The Beguiling is proud to welcome two of the creators that are doing official Free Comic Book Day Books, Ed Piskor, creator of Hip Hop Family Tree, and Tom Scioli, writer/artist of GI Joe vs. Transformers. Both creators will be signing and sketching their FCBD books for fans on Saturday May 3rd from 12pm-6pm (with a few breaks in there), and copies of both of their books will also be available for sale. The Beguiling will also have a great selection of other FCBD books for teens and adults on hand!
601 Markham Street, Toronto, ON M6G 2L7
Brooke Allen and Grace Ellis appear on Saturday May 3rd for a signing of the first issue of their new series, Lumberjanes, at Big Planet Comics in College Park, MD from 11:00 am till 1:00 pm and at the BPC store in Vienna, VA from 2:00 till 4:00 pm! Plus it’s Free Comic Book Day!
Big Planet Comics
7315 Baltimore Ave, College Park, MD 20740
Big Planet Comics
426 Maple Ave. E, Vienna, VA 22180
Special guest Gail Simone joins Marjorie Liu, Shelli Paroline, Braden Lamb, Blair Shedd, Sara Richard, Roger Andrews, and many more appear at Double Midnight Comics on Saturday May 3, 2014 for Free Comic Book Day!
How do we top 2013′s Free Comic Book Day? BY DOUBLING IT! Our 2014 Free Comic Book Day will be DOUBLED, with our usual one in Manchester and one at our new location in Concord! We will be featuring special guests, events and of course, exclusive free comics at each, as well as special sales too! Additionally, we will have a number of local artists, fantastic cosplayers, contests and a wide variety of free comics!
Special Artist/Writer Guests include:
Gail Simone (Batgirl, Red Sonja, Birds of Prey)
Marjorie Liu (Astonishing X-Men, X-23)
Shelli Paroline (Adventure Time)
Braden Lamb (Adventure Time)
Blair Shedd (Doctor Who)
Sara Richard (My Little Pony)
Alex de Campi (My Little Pony, Grindhouse) – Appearing in Manchester from 5-7!
Roger Andrews (Super Hero Squad)
Ransom Getty (Guardians of the Globe)
Kendra Lee Saunders
Peter Vinton Jr
NOTE: free sketches are at the discretion of the artist and not guaranteed.
Cosplay Guests include:
Nicole Marie Jean (cosplayer extraordinaire)
Bellechere (world renown cosplayer)
501st New England Garrison
Ghostbusters of New Hampshire
New England Brethren of Pirates
Rhode Island Comic Con
Pop Culture Expo
Spectacular Batcycle (Concord)
Bumblebee 1977 Chevy Camaro from Transformers
BBQ? Of course! Our grill master and BBQ expert Jareb will be back, making some fantastic grub in Manchester!
We also want to have the biggest group of cosplayers we can amass, so we will have extra goodies to everyone that comes in costume, as well as the BIGGEST Free Comic Book Day costume contest in the US!
We will also be having a HUGE after party in Concord when all is said and done, with a few more surprises. What could we possibly have up our sleeves?
Double Midnight Comics
245 Maple St, Unit 11, Manchester, NH 03103
According to The Hollywood Reporter, regular writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti will write the one-shot, but no artist has been announced.
HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON!
Fan-favorite Harley Quinn might have launched a new monthly series and become a best seller since that debut, but now she’s got her sights on something bigger—San Diego’s famed Comic Convention!
Today, at DCE’s Retailer Roadshow in Florida, the writers behind the fun and humorous series, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, were on hand to announce an exciting new HARLEY QUINN one-shot.
Scheduled for release in July, HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON arrives just in time for SDCC!
Actor Ron Glass, best known for his role as Shepherd Book on the TV series Firefly and movie spin-off Serenity, appears at Krypton Comics on Saturday May 3, 2014 for Free Comic Book Day! Also known for his roles on Barney Miller and Rugrats, Mr. Glass has a long list of credits to his name, the most recent of which being a recurring role on Agents of SHIELD. Krypton Comics hosts a contest on their Facebook page to win a free autograph from Mr. Glass! Details at the link…
2819 South 125th Avenue #261, Omaha, NE 68144-3873
Brian Stelfreeze, Jeremy Dale, Jason Latour, Andy Runton, and many more appear at Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find on Saturday May 3, 2014 for Free Comic Book Day!
Free Comic Book Day 2014 at Heroes is going to be our best yet! Come out on May 3rd to meet great comic artists, get free comics and have a great time with your pals at Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find! Check out our awesome guest list below and please save the date!
Creators will be signing from 1PM to 5PM (or longer at the creators’ discretion)
NATALIE ANDREWSON – Artist: Mamuna, Meanwhile
CHRIS BRUNNER – Artist: Loose Ends, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, The Ride
SHAWN CRYSTAL – Artist: Deadpool, Fantomex, Archer & Armstrong
JEREMY DALE – Writer/Artist: Skyward
SANFORD GREENE – Artist: Rotten Apple, Deadpool, Wonder Girl, Methodman GN
JOHN HAIRSTON JR – Painter
JASON LATOUR – Writer: Wolverine & The X-Men, Winter Soldier, Loose Ends Artist: Southern Bastards, B.P.R.D., Django Unchained
JACKIE LEWIS – Artist: Play Ball
JAY POTTS – Writer/Artist: World of Hurt, Atomech
BUDD ROOT – Writer/Artist: Cavewoman
ANDY RUNTON – Writer/Artist: Owly
HOYT SILVA – Artist: Quatermain: Ghosts of the Nzadi
BRIAN STELFREEZE – Artist: Day Men, Domino, Matador, Batman: Shadow of the Bat
NOTE: Free sketches are at the discretion of the artists, and are not guaranteed.
Heroes Aren’t Hard To Find
1957 E. 7th Street, Charlotte, NC 28204
Cartoonist Gene Luen Yang signs at Hijinx Comics in San Jose, CA on Saturday, May 3, 2014 from noon till 2:00 pm for Free Comic Book Day!
Gene says on his website, “Dark Horse’s FCBD 2014 has an Avatar: The Last Airbender story written by me and drawn by the fabulous Faith Erin Hicks! Even if you can’t make it to Hijinx, check out our comic!”
2050 Lincoln Ave. San Jose, CA 95125
Join us for our favorite day of the year! We are in the planning stages of this annual event and will post updates as they happen.
Each person gets 3 FREE comic books from a large selection! We will have something for everyone whether they are starting on their first comic or more mature readers! If you come in a costume, you can select 5 comics! Full list of comics that will be available at www.freecomicbookday.com
Very excited to announce our guests:
TIM SEELEY is one of those “slash” people…a writer-slash-artist. He has drawn a number of different comic book series including G.I JOE, HALLOWEEN, WILDCATS and EX SANGUINE. His writing work includes NY TIMES bestselling HACK/SLASH, WITCHBLADE, BATMAN ETERNAL and the critically acclaimed REVIVAL. He resides in Chicago, Illinois with his wife Gina. He works at FOUR STAR STUDIOS where he is never far from his 80s action figure collection.
Derrick Fish – We are thrilled to welcome local artist Derrick Fish again for Free Comic Book Day. Derrick will be selling copies of his original comic -The Wellkeeper! He will also have original art and sketches for sale.
Jon Pinto – Jon is a local artist and will be selling his original pop culture pieces from Doctor Who, Star Trek, and more!
12348 Roper Blvd, Clermont, FL 34711