Writer/actress Jenny Mollen appears at Book Soup on Saturday August 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM to discuss and sign I Like You Just the Way I Am, her outrageous, hysterical memoir of acting on impulse, plotting elaborate hoaxes and refusing to acknowledge boundaries in any form.
Jenny Mollen is an actress and writer living in Los Angeles. She is also a wife, married to a famous guy (which is annoying only because he gets free shit and she doesn’t). She doesn’t want much from life. Just to be loved–by everybody: her parents, her dogs, her ex-boyfriends, her ex-boyfriends’ dogs, her husband, her husband’s ex-girlfriends, her husband’s ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriends, etc. Some people might call that impulse crazy, but isn’t “crazy” really just a word boring people use to describe fun people? (And Jenny is really, really fun, you guys!)
In these pages, you’ll find stories of Jenny at her most genuine, whether it’s stalking her therapist (because he knows everything about her so shouldn’t she get to know everything about him?); throwing a bachelorette party so bad that one of the guests is suspected dead; or answering the eternal question, “Would your best friend blow your husband on a car ride to dinner if she didn’t know you were hiding in the backseat?”
I Like You Just the Way I Am is about “not” doing the right thing–about indulging your inner crazy-person. It is Jenny when she’s not trying to impress anyone or come across as a responsible, level-headed member of society. With any luck it will make “you” better acquainted with who “you” really are and what “you” really want. Which, let’s be honest, is most likely someone else’s email password. (St Martins Press)
Those wishing to get books signed will be asked to purchase at least one copy of the author’s most recent title from Book Soup. For each purchased copy of the newest title, customers may bring up to three copies from home to be signed. This policy applies to all Book Soup events unless otherwise noted. Save your Book Soup receipt; it will be checked when you enter the signing line.
A purchase of this title supports the author and your local independent bookstore! We thank you. Don’t forget we have free parking in a small lot behind the store. Parking is first come, first serve and free while you are in the store.
8818 Sunset Blvd, W. Hollywood, CA 90069
On July 23-27th, San Diego was host to the 2014 San Diego Comic Con! After 10 years of attending this show, I was definitely looking forward to seeing what sort of amazing spectacles Comic Con had in store for me this year. After a week of recovery from the show, I had to admit, compared to all the other Comic Cons, this one was a bit more low key. There weren’t many major announcements on the movie front, and while there were some exciting TV shows on hand, I definitely didn’t feel the major buzz I typically do at SDCC.
However, like all previous Comic Cons, it’s a great time to mingle with artists, writers, and friends you never get to mingle with anywhere else outside of SDCC. It was fun watching the stars come on the show floor, watching artists draw some amazing commissions, and seeing the amazing exhibits some of the booths displayed, including all of the Batman cowls celebrating the Caped Crusader’s 75th birthday, as well as some very cool props from the latest movies. While it lacked that extra spark that San Diego usually brings to the table, it still was, is and always will be THE place to be. And now, on to some of the sights I saw during the weekend.
I didn’t take a lot of cosplay pics this year, but here’s a few that stood out!
Join the 92nd Street Y for preview clips and conversation with Oscar winning actor Jeff Bridges and legendary author Lois Lowry as they discuss the transformation of The Giver from a book to a major motion picture on Friday August 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM.
The haunting story of The Giver centers on Jonas (Brenton Thwaites), a young man who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Yet as he begins to spend time with The Giver (Jeff Bridges), who is the sole keeper of all the community’s memories, Jonas quickly begins to discover the dark and deadly truths of his community’s secret past. With this newfound power of knowledge, he realizes that the stakes are higher than imagined—a matter of life and death for himself and those he loves most. At extreme odds, Jonas knows that he must escape their world to protect them all—a challenge that no one has ever succeeded at before. The Giver is based on Lois Lowry’s beloved young adult novel of the same name, which was the winner the 1994 Newbery Medal and has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.
92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York 10128
The Simpsons is widely considered to be one of the greatest TV shows of all time – 28 Primetime Emmys®! The longest running American sitcom ever continues to thrive with its dead-on satire and razor-sharp wit. Journey from the Springfield Bowl to the Hollywood Bowl for this unprecedented event, as the orchestra accompanies your favorite scenes on the big screen. Join the celebration of a quarter century of groundbreaking creativity, with plenty of special guests and a fireworks finale.
Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Thomas Wilkins, conductor
Hank Azaria, host
“Weird Al” Yankovic
Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
2301 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90068
July 28, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Gaming, Horror, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
Celebrity appearances, artist meet-and-greets, a film festival, a Cosplay costume contest, the first official after party and Cosplay Harbor Cruise are among many activities lined up for this year’s Boston Comic Con. Boston Comic Con will bring its first three-day convention to the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. In the seven years since its founding, Boston Comic Con has grown from a one-day show that attracted an estimated 900 comic book enthusiasts to last year’s record turnout of more than 23,000, which organizers expect to top this year.
“The community in Greater Boston that loves comic books and related television and film is tremendous and growing,” said Nick Kanieff, a founder of Boston Comic Con. “We are home to some of the industry’s most talented artists and devoted fans, all of which will join us in great numbers this August. Boston Comic Con has just enough of a celebrity touch to bring in ardent fans while still honoring the artists and writers who are the backbone of the industry.”
The 2014 Boston Comic Con will feature celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones”; John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and “Arrow”; Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy; James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel”; Katie Cassidy of “Arrow”; Eve Myles of “Torchwood”; Jewel Staite of “Firefly”; Sam Witwer of “Being Human”; and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC, one of the founding fathers of the hip hop and rap movement, who is producing his own comic about a rap superhero. Celebrities will also participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops, and signing autographs throughout the three-day convention.
Among the 200+ comic book creators taking part in the convention are well known artists such as artist Greg Capullo and writer Scott Snyder, who together produced legendary Batman story arcs as The Court of Owls, Death of the Family and Zero Year for DC Comics. Indie sensation Jeff Smith, creator of the fantasy epic Bone, makes rare appearance at this year’s convention. Also featured is artist Adam Kubert, best known for his work with Marvel Comics on Wolverine, Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and X-Men. He is both a graduate of and an instructor at the famed Kubert School, founded by his father, legendary artist Joe Kubert. Other creators include Skottie Young, whose current project, Rocket Raccoon ties in with Marvel’s summer blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy, fan-favorite Gail Simone, writer of Batgirl, Birds of Prey, and Wonder Woman, and Mark Waid who is the most prolific writer of popular characters such as Superman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
Participating Boston-area artists include husband and wife team Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb, Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Ming Doyle, Norman Lee, Sara Richard, and several others.
Boston Comic Con is especially proud of its showcase of 14 top women creators including: Christy Blanch, Danica Brine, Katie Cook, Danielle Corsetto, Ming Doyle, Dawn Griffin, Rebekah Isaacs, Shelli Paroline, Sara Richard, Gail Simone, Cat Staggs, Babs Tarr, Maris Wicks, and Chrissie Zullo.
“Boston Comic Con is at the forefront of supporting local artists, especially women creators. It is truly an organic, home-grown event that has gained popularity over the past few years,” said Kanieff, a Framingham resident who is also an avid collector. “We welcome everyone, from families with young children, to college students, to older comic book fans. There is something for everyone at Boston Comic Con.”
New This Year
The first Boston Comic Con Cosplay Harbor Cruise will take place on Saturday, August 9 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The cruise will be hosted by Ivy Doomkitty, international costume designer and cosplayer, and features noted cosplayers including Nicole Marie Jean, Destiny Nickelsen, and Bethany Maddock. After the harbor cruise, Boston Comic Con will host the official “after party” at Laugh Boston, at the Westin Waterfront Hotel. Also new this year, a limited number of tickets will be sold to allow early entry on the first day of Boston Comic Con, Friday, August 8 at 1 p.m., one hour before the general admission at 2 p.m.
Additionally, Marvel editor C.B. Cebulski will be on hand to provide portfolio reviews for aspiring comic artists. And this year’s exclusive t-shirt features Rocket Raccoon drawn by Guardians of the Galaxy artist Nick Bradshaw with colors by Rich Woodall.
“Not only is Boston Comic Con drawing interest from the area’s extensive comic book community, but it’s becoming a destination event that brings tourists to Boston,” said Kanieff. “The growing excitement around this convention demonstrates the strength and vibrancy of the creative community we have here in Boston and in the surrounding region.”
More information about events, artists and celebrity guests can be found on www.bostoncomiccon.com. General admission and VIP tickets are on sale now, as are tickets for celebrity photo ops. Boston Comic Con is also accepting entries for this year’s film festival.
For information on ticket sales please visit: www.bostoncomiccon.com.
Author Joe Hill (Locke & Key, Horns) stops by to talk about his latest graphic novel release, Wraith, and his new graphic novel series on Wednesday August 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
1 Worcester Rd, Framingham, MA 01701
VIRTUAL REALITY MEETS MIDDLE EARTH — AND THE MUPPETS (!) AT WARNER BROS.’ STAR-PACKED BOOTH FOR COMIC-CON 2014
Go Into the Storm with the 4D Oculus Rift Experience and Get Up Close and Personal with Stars, Smaug, Sesame Street and Soft Kitty
Full Signing Schedule Released for Warner Bros. Booth
BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2014) — With Comic-Con 2014 only days away, the behind-she-scenes team at the Warner Bros. booth (#4545) is working its magic creating another must-see environment, including a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience allowing fans into the heart-stopping excitement of Warner Bros. upcoming Into the Storm film (unleashed on August 8, 2014); an epic-sized LEGO® Smaug, the legendary dragon from Warner Bros. trilogy of The Hobbit films; a personal appearance by some of Sesame Street’s most familiar faces; and an exclusive Soft Kitty giveaway for fans of The Big Bang Theory, only in San Diego. Always a destination for Comic-Con fans, the Warner Bros. booth will be a constant flux of activity, including giveaways, autograph signings and more.
For a closer look at this year’s Warner Bros. booth activities, read on:
INTO THE STORM: THE 4D OCULUS RIFT EXPERIENCE
- Prepare to go #IntoTheStorm with an intense experiential booth featuring a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience that puts fans directly into a recreated scene from the upcoming tornado survival film.
- Releasing on August 8th, Into the Storm, from New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, stars Richard Armitage (The Hobbit films), Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead), Matt Walsh (Ted), Alycia Debnam-Carey (Where the Devil Hides) and Arlen Escarpeta (Final Destination 5).
- In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Told through the eyes and lenses of professional storm chasers, thrill-seeking amateurs, and courageous townspeople, Into the Stormthrows viewers directly into the eye of the storm to experience Mother Nature at her most extreme.
- Fans who survive the storm will have their reactions to the experience captured on camera, and once they exit the booth, they will be able to immediately share their experience from a social wall on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and YouTube.
FIND YOURSELF FACE TO FACE WITH SMAUG
The LEGO Group’s large-scale LEGO brick model of Smaug from The Hobbit Trilogy will be on
display in the Warner Bros. booth #4545 at San Diego Comic-Con. Pictured: designer Erik Varszegi.
- The creative MasterBuilders at The LEGO Group are at it again with a Comic-Con exclusive: a life-sized recreation of the legendary Dragon Smaug (that’s “human” life-sized vs. “dragon” life-sized), from The Hobbit Trilogy.
- Standing at more than six feet tall and weighing in excess of 400 pounds, the large-scale dragon is constructed from 83,433 LEGO® bricks and took over 625 hours to design and build. Featuring a (to Dragon scale) Hobbit-sized Bilbo Baggins and shining Arkenstone, the epic LEGO Smaug stands guard at the Warner Bros. booth!
- This December, Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson will unleash the epic final film in The Hobbit Trilogy, based on the timeless masterpiece by J.R.R. Tolkien, from New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures. In The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo’s journey culminates in a desperate and dangerous choice as darkness converges on the Lonely Mountain and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide — unite or be destroyed. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, with Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. The ensemble cast is led by Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, with Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, and Orlando Bloom.
MUPPETS TAKE SAN DIEGO!
- In celebration of its upcoming 45th season, Sesame Street is sending a Muppet delegation to the Con for a Meet & Greet on Sunday, July 27th from 2:00–3:00 p.m. at the Warner Bros Booth.
- Fans of all ages will have the chance to meet Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover and Murray Monster and their performers in a one-of-a-kind get together at the Warner Bros. booth.
- IN addition, the first 100 fans will walk away with the latest Sesame Street and Warner Bros. DVD – Learning Rocks!
THE CAT’S OUT OF THE BAG!
COMIC-CON EXCLUSIVE: SOFT KITTY PREVIEW GAME PIECE FROM
MONOPOLY® THE BIG BANG THEORY EDITION GAME
- The cat’s out of the bag — and can be found at the Warner Bros. booth!
- In a Comic-Con exclusive, Warner Bros. is offering fans of hit comedy The Big Bang Theory the chance to get their hands on a Soft Kitty preview game piece from the MONOPOLY®: The Big Bang Theory edition game, which will be available at retailers nationwide next month.
- Available only at Comic-Con and not included in the actual game, a limited number of the Soft Kitty mover tokens will be distributed at the Warner Bros. booth Wednesday, July 23–Sunday, July 27. In-the-know fans can ask for the token at the redemption window at the booth.
STARS & SIGNINGS AND MORE!
- From Thursday through Sunday, a cavalcade of talent — including producers and stars from Warner Bros. Television shows, HBO, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures — will be signing for fans at the Warner Bros. booth. Talent to be announced. The signing schedule is as follows:
- THURSDAY, JULY 24, 2014
- 3:30pm-4:00pm Into the Storm
- 4:45pm-5:30pm Childrens Hospital
- FRIDAY, JULY 25, 2014
- 10:15am-11:00am iZOMBIE
- 11:45am-12:30pm The Originals
- 2:15pm-2:45pm The 100
- 3:30pm-4:30pm Game of Thrones
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Mike Tyson Mysteries
- 5:30pm-6:30pm Batman: Assault on Arkham
- 6:15pm-6:45pm Banshee
- SATURDAY, JULY 26, 2014
- 11:15am-11:45am Mad Max: Fury Road
- 11:45am-12:30pm Arrow
- 12:30pm-1:00pm The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- 1:30pm-2:00pm Constantine
- 2:00pm-3:00pm True Blood
- 2:45pm-3:30pm The Vampire Diaries
- 4:00pm-4:45pm Gotham
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Person of Interest
- 5:45pm-6:15pm The Flash
- SUNDAY, JULY 27, 2014
- 10:30am-11:15am Teen Titans Go!
- 11:30am-12:15pm Supernatural
- 12:00pm-12:45pm Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy
- 12:30pm-1:15pm The Following
- 12:45pm-1:15pm Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon
July 23, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Anime, California, Comic Books, Comic-Con International, Convention News, Horror, Manga, Movies, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Video Games, Webcomics
All creators signing in our booth offer their autographs for FREE. FREE prints, comics, or posters are provided for most of our signings (while supplies last). You may purchase or bring items to be signed; however, we may restrict the type or number of items to be signed as necessary.
6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
Boston Comic Con 2014 offers several after hours for attendees to enjoy after the convention floor closes! Check out some funny comedians at Laugh Boston or hit the high seas of Boston Harbor with your favorite cosplayers!
1. Brian Posehn at Laugh Boston (Thursday August 7th through Saturday August 9th)
Join comedian, actor, and Deadpool writer Brian Posehn for three nights of stand up comedy at Laugh Boston. Brian will be appearing three nights: Thursday August 7th through Saturday August 9th.
For tickets click here…
2. Crisis On Improv-inate Earths (Friday August 8th) – 10:00 PM
Some of Improv Asylum’s funniest actors take the stage for a wildly paced comic con-themed improv show with scenes inspired by audience suggestions. Content not approved by the Comics Code Authority. Face it, Tiger, you’re gonna love this show. Friday night 10:15 PM after the Brian Posehn show.
For tickets click here…
3. Boston Comic Con CosPlay Harbor Cruise (Saturday August 9th) – 10:15 PM
Saturday night August 9th (10:15 PM to 11:30 PM) – Join hostess Ivy Doomkitty for the first ever Boston Comic Con COSPLAY harbor cruise! This event is for Boston Comic Con attendees and cosplayers 21 years of age and older. There will be a DJ, cash bar, and a whole bunch of fun on board as we cruise around Boston Harbor Saturday night partying like superheroes. The boat docks right outside our front door at The Seaport World Trade Center. So, spill on out of the show at the end of the day and cruise on into the night with Boston Comic Con and cosplay special guests Ivy Doomkitty, Nicole Marie Jean, Bethany Maddock, and Destiny Nickelsen! Please remember you must be at least 21 years of age to go on the cruise.
For tickets click here…
4. Official Boston Comic Con After Party at Laugh Boston (Saturday August 9th) – midnight
Come be a part of Boston Comic Con’s official after party! Keep the party going after the Harbor Cruise with Doom Kitty or come back for more action backed superhero and villainous late night fun. Hosted by Laugh Boston the party starts at 12:00 AM (after Deadpool writer Brian Posehn’s show) and goes until 2:00 AM. Costumes are encouraged, but not required. Entry is FREE with your Boston Comic Con wrist band for any of the convention dates, or $10 cover charge without wristband. DJ, cash bar, and specialty cocktails provided by Deep Eddy Vodka.
About Boston Comic Con
The 8th Annual Boston Comic Con will host a three-day convention at the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. A-list celebrities from the genres of science fiction fantasy, horror and beyond will participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops and autograph signings throughout the convention, alongside 200+ comic book creators from the local region and beyond. In addition, a Comic Book film festival will be held throughout the weekend and a Comic Book art auction will be held on Sunday, August 10. New this year, a third day was added on Friday, August 8, first Cosplay Harbor and the official “after party” at Laugh Boston on Saturday, August 9, and a limited number of VIP entry tickets on the convention’s first day at 1 p.m. August 8, one hour before general admission. Celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones,” John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and Arrow,” Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel,” Katie Cassidy of “Arrow,” Eve Myles of “Torchwood,” Jewel Staite of “Firefly,”Sam Witwer of “Being Human” and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC.
Writer Peter David signs copies of his new book, answer questions and take photos at Barnes & Noble on Saturday August 2, 2014 from 2:00 to 3:30 pm. Peter is an American writer of comic books, novels, television, movies, and video games.
Barnes & Noble
1819 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD 21208