Author Joe Hill (Locke & Key, Horns) stops by to talk about his latest graphic novel release, Wraith, and his new graphic novel series on Wednesday August 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
1 Worcester Rd, Framingham, MA 01701
Sting shows up at the WWE panel, Matthew McConaughey shows up to push Interstellar, and Microsoft releases a trailer for HALO Nightfall.
VIRTUAL REALITY MEETS MIDDLE EARTH — AND THE MUPPETS (!) AT WARNER BROS.’ STAR-PACKED BOOTH FOR COMIC-CON 2014
Go Into the Storm with the 4D Oculus Rift Experience and Get Up Close and Personal with Stars, Smaug, Sesame Street and Soft Kitty
Full Signing Schedule Released for Warner Bros. Booth
BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2014) — With Comic-Con 2014 only days away, the behind-she-scenes team at the Warner Bros. booth (#4545) is working its magic creating another must-see environment, including a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience allowing fans into the heart-stopping excitement of Warner Bros. upcoming Into the Storm film (unleashed on August 8, 2014); an epic-sized LEGO® Smaug, the legendary dragon from Warner Bros. trilogy of The Hobbit films; a personal appearance by some of Sesame Street’s most familiar faces; and an exclusive Soft Kitty giveaway for fans of The Big Bang Theory, only in San Diego. Always a destination for Comic-Con fans, the Warner Bros. booth will be a constant flux of activity, including giveaways, autograph signings and more.
For a closer look at this year’s Warner Bros. booth activities, read on:
INTO THE STORM: THE 4D OCULUS RIFT EXPERIENCE
- Prepare to go #IntoTheStorm with an intense experiential booth featuring a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience that puts fans directly into a recreated scene from the upcoming tornado survival film.
- Releasing on August 8th, Into the Storm, from New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, stars Richard Armitage (The Hobbit films), Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead), Matt Walsh (Ted), Alycia Debnam-Carey (Where the Devil Hides) and Arlen Escarpeta (Final Destination 5).
- In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Told through the eyes and lenses of professional storm chasers, thrill-seeking amateurs, and courageous townspeople, Into the Stormthrows viewers directly into the eye of the storm to experience Mother Nature at her most extreme.
- Fans who survive the storm will have their reactions to the experience captured on camera, and once they exit the booth, they will be able to immediately share their experience from a social wall on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and YouTube.
FIND YOURSELF FACE TO FACE WITH SMAUG
The LEGO Group’s large-scale LEGO brick model of Smaug from The Hobbit Trilogy will be on
display in the Warner Bros. booth #4545 at San Diego Comic-Con. Pictured: designer Erik Varszegi.
- The creative MasterBuilders at The LEGO Group are at it again with a Comic-Con exclusive: a life-sized recreation of the legendary Dragon Smaug (that’s “human” life-sized vs. “dragon” life-sized), from The Hobbit Trilogy.
- Standing at more than six feet tall and weighing in excess of 400 pounds, the large-scale dragon is constructed from 83,433 LEGO® bricks and took over 625 hours to design and build. Featuring a (to Dragon scale) Hobbit-sized Bilbo Baggins and shining Arkenstone, the epic LEGO Smaug stands guard at the Warner Bros. booth!
- This December, Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson will unleash the epic final film in The Hobbit Trilogy, based on the timeless masterpiece by J.R.R. Tolkien, from New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures. In The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo’s journey culminates in a desperate and dangerous choice as darkness converges on the Lonely Mountain and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide — unite or be destroyed. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, with Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. The ensemble cast is led by Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, with Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, and Orlando Bloom.
MUPPETS TAKE SAN DIEGO!
- In celebration of its upcoming 45th season, Sesame Street is sending a Muppet delegation to the Con for a Meet & Greet on Sunday, July 27th from 2:00–3:00 p.m. at the Warner Bros Booth.
- Fans of all ages will have the chance to meet Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover and Murray Monster and their performers in a one-of-a-kind get together at the Warner Bros. booth.
- IN addition, the first 100 fans will walk away with the latest Sesame Street and Warner Bros. DVD – Learning Rocks!
THE CAT’S OUT OF THE BAG!
COMIC-CON EXCLUSIVE: SOFT KITTY PREVIEW GAME PIECE FROM
MONOPOLY® THE BIG BANG THEORY EDITION GAME
- The cat’s out of the bag — and can be found at the Warner Bros. booth!
- In a Comic-Con exclusive, Warner Bros. is offering fans of hit comedy The Big Bang Theory the chance to get their hands on a Soft Kitty preview game piece from the MONOPOLY®: The Big Bang Theory edition game, which will be available at retailers nationwide next month.
- Available only at Comic-Con and not included in the actual game, a limited number of the Soft Kitty mover tokens will be distributed at the Warner Bros. booth Wednesday, July 23–Sunday, July 27. In-the-know fans can ask for the token at the redemption window at the booth.
STARS & SIGNINGS AND MORE!
- From Thursday through Sunday, a cavalcade of talent — including producers and stars from Warner Bros. Television shows, HBO, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures — will be signing for fans at the Warner Bros. booth. Talent to be announced. The signing schedule is as follows:
- THURSDAY, JULY 24, 2014
- 3:30pm-4:00pm Into the Storm
- 4:45pm-5:30pm Childrens Hospital
- FRIDAY, JULY 25, 2014
- 10:15am-11:00am iZOMBIE
- 11:45am-12:30pm The Originals
- 2:15pm-2:45pm The 100
- 3:30pm-4:30pm Game of Thrones
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Mike Tyson Mysteries
- 5:30pm-6:30pm Batman: Assault on Arkham
- 6:15pm-6:45pm Banshee
- SATURDAY, JULY 26, 2014
- 11:15am-11:45am Mad Max: Fury Road
- 11:45am-12:30pm Arrow
- 12:30pm-1:00pm The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- 1:30pm-2:00pm Constantine
- 2:00pm-3:00pm True Blood
- 2:45pm-3:30pm The Vampire Diaries
- 4:00pm-4:45pm Gotham
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Person of Interest
- 5:45pm-6:15pm The Flash
- SUNDAY, JULY 27, 2014
- 10:30am-11:15am Teen Titans Go!
- 11:30am-12:15pm Supernatural
- 12:00pm-12:45pm Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy
- 12:30pm-1:15pm The Following
- 12:45pm-1:15pm Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon
LEGENDARY AT SDCC 2014
At Comic-Con 2014, we invite our fans to ‘step inside our worlds’.
We will be at San Diego Comic-Con 2014 hosting a booth on the show floor, holding a panel in Hall H, and much more. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest announcements and updates. We know everyone can’t make it to Comic-Con so we will be covering all the activities through photos & videos, and hosting fan giveaways on our social accounts during and after Comic-Con. Keep an eye out!
Booth Location: #3920
We have worked with master filmmaker Guillermo del Toro to bring his incredible imagination to life, delivering two unique fan experiences for Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak. The booth hosts unique physical props from the hotly anticipated Warcraft, giving fans an exclusive first look right out of the world of the film. Additionally the booth offers previews of Legendary’s upcoming psychological thriller As Above/So Below and the new catalogue of titles from Legendary Comics.
Crimson Peak Gothic Gallery
Step inside the imagination of Guillermo del Toro with The Gothic Gallery, an immersive handcrafted exhibit from master filmmaker. This exclusive fan experience offers a glimpse behidnd the curtain of Crimson Peak, through an intimate set piece of the gothic haunted house he is creating… Beware Crimson Peak!
Head to facebook.com/CrimsonPeakMovie to view images of the Gothic Gallery and sign up for a chance to win an exclusive tour of the Gothic Gallery with the visionary filmmaker Guillermo del Toro.
Visit the Legendary Booth to experience the Gothic Gallery.
Pacific Rim Jaeger Pilot
We have worked closely with the leading pioneers of virtual reality, Oculus VR, to deliver a new benchmark in Oculus Rift experiences.
Fans will experience what it feels like to pilot a 250-story robot as they step into a fully-realized Jaeger Combat Simulator. Strapping on the Oculus Rift headset, fans will ‘Drift with the Rift’ and experience the beloved universe of Pacific Rim in a whole new way.
Watch this video and visit the Legendary Booth at 9 am daily for tickets. First come, first served.
Signing with Warcraft Director Duncan Jones
Legendary and Warcraft fans now have the chance to meet director Duncan Jones, the man responsible for bringing Warcraft to the big screen. Duncan Jones will be doing a signing on Saturday 7/26 at 2 pm at the Blizzard Booth (#115). Tickets will be handed out that morning at 11 am on a first come, first served basis at the Blizzard Booth.
Legendary’s Film Panel – Hall H
Date: Saturday, July 26
Time: 12:35 pm
During our panel, we will be live tweeting from Hall H. Follow along here:@Legendary.
The Batfleck costume, Avengers and Ant-Man posters, a tour of the Sideshow Collectibles booth and a lot more in our first SDCC Digest for 2014.
Cartoonist Bryan Lee O’Malley, creator of Scott Pilgrim, appears at Forbidden Planet’s Dublin store on Wednesday August 20th from 5:00 to 7:00 pm!
Forbidden Planet Dublin
5/6 Crampton Quay, Dublin, Ireland
July 23, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Anime, California, Comic Books, Comic-Con International, Convention News, Horror, Manga, Movies, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
All creators signing in our booth offer their autographs for FREE. FREE prints, comics, or posters are provided for most of our signings (while supplies last). You may purchase or bring items to be signed; however, we may restrict the type or number of items to be signed as necessary.
6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
A look at Comic-Con and some of the activities going on outside of the convention center, including a Gotham-themed zip line.
Boston Comic Con 2014 offers several after hours for attendees to enjoy after the convention floor closes! Check out some funny comedians at Laugh Boston or hit the high seas of Boston Harbor with your favorite cosplayers!
1. Brian Posehn at Laugh Boston (Thursday August 7th through Saturday August 9th)
Join comedian, actor, and Deadpool writer Brian Posehn for three nights of stand up comedy at Laugh Boston. Brian will be appearing three nights: Thursday August 7th through Saturday August 9th.
For tickets click here…
2. Crisis On Improv-inate Earths (Friday August 8th) – 10:00 PM
Some of Improv Asylum’s funniest actors take the stage for a wildly paced comic con-themed improv show with scenes inspired by audience suggestions. Content not approved by the Comics Code Authority. Face it, Tiger, you’re gonna love this show. Friday night 10:15 PM after the Brian Posehn show.
For tickets click here…
3. Boston Comic Con CosPlay Harbor Cruise (Saturday August 9th) – 10:15 PM
Saturday night August 9th (10:15 PM to 11:30 PM) – Join hostess Ivy Doomkitty for the first ever Boston Comic Con COSPLAY harbor cruise! This event is for Boston Comic Con attendees and cosplayers 21 years of age and older. There will be a DJ, cash bar, and a whole bunch of fun on board as we cruise around Boston Harbor Saturday night partying like superheroes. The boat docks right outside our front door at The Seaport World Trade Center. So, spill on out of the show at the end of the day and cruise on into the night with Boston Comic Con and cosplay special guests Ivy Doomkitty, Nicole Marie Jean, Bethany Maddock, and Destiny Nickelsen! Please remember you must be at least 21 years of age to go on the cruise.
For tickets click here…
4. Official Boston Comic Con After Party at Laugh Boston (Saturday August 9th) – midnight
Come be a part of Boston Comic Con’s official after party! Keep the party going after the Harbor Cruise with Doom Kitty or come back for more action backed superhero and villainous late night fun. Hosted by Laugh Boston the party starts at 12:00 AM (after Deadpool writer Brian Posehn’s show) and goes until 2:00 AM. Costumes are encouraged, but not required. Entry is FREE with your Boston Comic Con wrist band for any of the convention dates, or $10 cover charge without wristband. DJ, cash bar, and specialty cocktails provided by Deep Eddy Vodka.
About Boston Comic Con
The 8th Annual Boston Comic Con will host a three-day convention at the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. A-list celebrities from the genres of science fiction fantasy, horror and beyond will participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops and autograph signings throughout the convention, alongside 200+ comic book creators from the local region and beyond. In addition, a Comic Book film festival will be held throughout the weekend and a Comic Book art auction will be held on Sunday, August 10. New this year, a third day was added on Friday, August 8, first Cosplay Harbor and the official “after party” at Laugh Boston on Saturday, August 9, and a limited number of VIP entry tickets on the convention’s first day at 1 p.m. August 8, one hour before general admission. Celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones,” John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and Arrow,” Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel,” Katie Cassidy of “Arrow,” Eve Myles of “Torchwood,” Jewel Staite of “Firefly,”Sam Witwer of “Being Human” and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC.
This past weekend was ConnectiCon in Hartford, CT. Founded in 2002 primarily as a gaming convention, it has come to encompass multiple genres and attracts attendees from all over the country. It roots in gaming are still clearly apparent as they host a gaming room equal the size of the main vendor/artist area which hosted hundreds if not thousands of gamers playing Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, WarHammer, and many other table top games. Naturally there is also a large contingent of cosplayers dressed as their favorite characters from TV, moves, comic books and video games. The projected attendenace fo this year was 17,000 people and while there were certainly a lot of people in the Hartford Convention Center, it was laid out and organized so it never felt crowded. The autograph lines for guests moved surprisingly fast and, provided you showed up a little early, panels were easy to get into.
A big draw for this year’s ConnectiCon was the wealth of guests from the voice acting industry. A growing trend at conventions across the country, these talented performers need only a microphone to display their gift for breathing life into characters. Guests included Invader Zim’s Richard Horvitz and Rikki Simons, Pinky and the Brain’s Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen, Batman: The Brave and the Bold’s Dietrich Bader, Mass Effect’s Jennifer Hale, and Legend of Korra’s Janet Varney. Speaking to the press, Horvitz and Simons said they love having meeting fans who grew up watching Zim and are now cosplaying as their characters. The also mentioned people sometime have full sleeve tattoos where they leave room to get autographed. Horvitz said, “We always ask them to please not get murdered because we’re afraid the police will think the killer signed their work.”
As an actor who had success in on-screen roles on The Drew Carey Show, Outsourced, and Office Space, Bader remarked that he is in awe at the talent of his cartoon co-stars and how unpretentious and friendly most are compared to the rest of Hollywood. When asked what his favorite character to play was, Bader immediately and unequivocally said “Batman.” Prior to being cast on Brave and the Bold Bader had not been terribly well-versed in Bat-lore but said that getting into character really moved him especially in the scene where Batman confronts his parents’ killer, during Bader said he had literal tears running down his face.
On panels with LaMarche and Paulsen it was readily evident that their their friendship and work relationship easily rolls into one another. Paulsen remarked several times that his co-stars are people with whom he would choose to be friends had they never met at work. They often finished one another’s jokes and would goad the other into saying a favorite line or catchphrase. They credited a mutual love of Monty Python and Beyond the Fringe as instantly cementing their bond when the first worked together.
LaMarche and Paulsen shared many stories from Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, one being the famous “Yes, Always” sketch in which LaMarche faithfully recreates a famous outtake of Orson Welles recording a commercial for peas in which the famous director angrily tells off the staff. LaMarche had regaled his co-stars, directors, and engineers with his rendition so it was added to the script as a suprise for LaMarche. They also regaled the audience to a reading of “Green Eggs in Ham” with Paulsen reading Sam I Am (in the voice of Pinky) and LaMarche playing the main character as the Brain. The showstopper, however, was Paulsen singing “Yakko’s World” in which he rattles off every single country in the world to which the entire crowd clapped along.
Finally, Janet Varney who voices the title character of The Legend of Korra spoke about the series to a full panel room of Avatar-fans. She noted that they all had very pointed questions regarding many of Korra’s decisions on the show. Varney said while she often disagrees with Korra’s actions that is part of what makes her a well-rounded character. Twice during the Q&A Varney had to apologize for “rudely” taking a phone call. The first was from Firelord Zuko (actor Dante Basco) who called in to look for his honor and the second was Bolin (voice actor PJ Byrne), both whom were kind enough to say hello to the fans and field a question or two.
Fans were very excited to meet the people who helped bring their animated favorites to life. LaMarche said it best, “Hearing I made your childhood better makes my middle age better.” Here’s looking forward to seeing what voice talents are scheduled for next year’s show!