July 28, 2014 by Colin Solan
Filed under Animation, Comic Books, Comic Strips, Convention News, Cosplay, Gaming, Horror, Massachusetts, Movies, Other, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Television, Top Stories, Video Games, Webcomics
Celebrity appearances, artist meet-and-greets, a film festival, a Cosplay costume contest, the first official after party and Cosplay Harbor Cruise are among many activities lined up for this year’s Boston Comic Con. Boston Comic Con will bring its first three-day convention to the Seaport World Trade Center Friday August 8 through Sunday August 10, 2014. In the seven years since its founding, Boston Comic Con has grown from a one-day show that attracted an estimated 900 comic book enthusiasts to last year’s record turnout of more than 23,000, which organizers expect to top this year.
“The community in Greater Boston that loves comic books and related television and film is tremendous and growing,” said Nick Kanieff, a founder of Boston Comic Con. “We are home to some of the industry’s most talented artists and devoted fans, all of which will join us in great numbers this August. Boston Comic Con has just enough of a celebrity touch to bring in ardent fans while still honoring the artists and writers who are the backbone of the industry.”
The 2014 Boston Comic Con will feature celebrity appearances by Jason Momoa of “Game of Thrones”; John Barrowman of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and “Arrow”; Sean Astin of “The Goonies” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy; James Marsters of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel”; Katie Cassidy of “Arrow”; Eve Myles of “Torchwood”; Jewel Staite of “Firefly”; Sam Witwer of “Being Human”; and Darryl McDaniels, aka DMC, of Run-DMC, one of the founding fathers of the hip hop and rap movement, who is producing his own comic about a rap superhero. Celebrities will also participate in panel discussions, Q&As, photo ops, and signing autographs throughout the three-day convention.
Among the 200+ comic book creators taking part in the convention are well known artists such as artist Greg Capullo and writer Scott Snyder, who together produced legendary Batman story arcs as The Court of Owls, Death of the Family and Zero Year for DC Comics. Indie sensation Jeff Smith, creator of the fantasy epic Bone, makes rare appearance at this year’s convention. Also featured is artist Adam Kubert, best known for his work with Marvel Comics on Wolverine, Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and X-Men. He is both a graduate of and an instructor at the famed Kubert School, founded by his father, legendary artist Joe Kubert. Other creators include Skottie Young, whose current project, Rocket Raccoon ties in with Marvel’s summer blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy, fan-favorite Gail Simone, writer of Batgirl, Birds of Prey, and Wonder Woman, and Mark Waid who is the most prolific writer of popular characters such as Superman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
Participating Boston-area artists include husband and wife team Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb, Joe Quinones, Maris Wicks, Ming Doyle, Norman Lee, Sara Richard, and several others.
Boston Comic Con is especially proud of its showcase of 14 top women creators including: Babs Tarr, Christy Blanch, Danica Brine, Katie Cook, Danielle Corsetto, Ming Doyle, Dawn Griffin, Rebekah Isaacs, Shelli Paroline, Sara Richard, Gail Simone, Cat Staggs, Maris Wicks, and Chrissie Zullo.
“Boston Comic Con is at the forefront of supporting local artists, especially women creators. It is truly an organic, home-grown event that has gained popularity over the past few years,” said Kanieff, a Framingham resident who is also an avid collector. “We welcome everyone, from families with young children, to college students, to older comic book fans. There is something for everyone at Boston Comic Con.”
New This Year
The first Boston Comic Con Cosplay Harbor Cruise will take place on Saturday, August 9 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The cruise will be hosted by Ivy Doomkitty, international costume designer and cosplayer, and features noted cosplayers including Nicole Marie Jean, Destiny Nickelsen, and Bethany Maddock. After the harbor cruise, Boston Comic Con will host the official “after party” at Laugh Boston, at the Westin Waterfront Hotel. Also new this year, a limited number of tickets will be sold to allow early entry on the first day of Boston Comic Con, Friday, August 8 at 1 p.m., one hour before the general admission at 2 p.m.
Additionally, Marvel editor C.B. Cebulski will be on hand to provide portfolio reviews for aspiring comic artists. And this year’s exclusive t-shirt features Rocket Raccoon drawn by Guardians of the Galaxy artist Nick Bradshaw with colors by Rich Woodall.
“Not only is Boston Comic Con drawing interest from the area’s extensive comic book community, but it’s becoming a destination event that brings tourists to Boston,” said Kanieff. “The growing excitement around this convention demonstrates the strength and vibrancy of the creative community we have here in Boston and in the surrounding region.”
More information about events, artists and celebrity guests can be found on www.bostoncomiccon.com. General admission and VIP tickets are on sale now, as are tickets for celebrity photo ops. Boston Comic Con is also accepting entries for this year’s film festival.
For information on ticket sales please visit: www.bostoncomiccon.com.
Popular cartoonist, Danielle Corsetto (Girls with Slingshots) makes a rare Dallas appearance this Saturday August 2nd from 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Zeus Comics! Joining Danielle is Dallas’ favorite Randy Milholland (Something Positive). It’s a web comics party IRL this Saturday at Zeus!
1334 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX 75247
Jason Yungbluth appears at Forbidden Planet on August 13, 2014 at 5:00 pm to sign Weapon Brown, the super special edition hardcover (and soft cover) copies of this fan favorite mishmash comic about a nuclear Charlie Brown.
832 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
Writer Nathan Edmondson appears at Barnes & Noble to sign Black Widow: The Finely Woven Thread on Saturday August 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble – Glendale Americana
The Americana at Brand, 210 Americana Way, Glendale, CA 91210
Steve Lieber, Mike Murphy, Celina Hernandez, and Ron Randall sign at Excalibur Books & Comics on Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 from 6:00 till 8:00 pm as part of Excalibur’s 40th anniversary celebration!
Excalibur Books & Comics
2444 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214-3969
Comics legend Neal Adams appears at Comicazi in Davis Square for a signing on Wednesday August 6th at 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm! First autograph is FREE! (Additional autographs are $10 each) Portfolios, Art Prints, Books and Sketches will be available for purchase! He is also taking on commissions so now is the time to get a piece of art drawn up by Neal Adams. Email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jason will work out characters and prices with you.You can also call Jason at 212-869-4170.
Neal is in town for Boston Comic Con at the Seaport World Trade Center on August 8-10th!
407 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144
Comic creators Nick Tapalansky, Alex Eckman-Lawn, Kate Glasheen, Kate Kasenow and Shane-Michael Vidaurri discuss the ins and outs of creating and publishing indie comics on Wednesday August 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
150 East 86th Street, New York, NY 10028
Author Joe Hill (Locke & Key, Horns) stops by to talk about his latest graphic novel release, Wraith, and his new graphic novel series on Wednesday August 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
1 Worcester Rd, Framingham, MA 01701
Sting shows up at the WWE panel, Matthew McConaughey shows up to push Interstellar, and Microsoft releases a trailer for HALO Nightfall.
VIRTUAL REALITY MEETS MIDDLE EARTH — AND THE MUPPETS (!) AT WARNER BROS.’ STAR-PACKED BOOTH FOR COMIC-CON 2014
Go Into the Storm with the 4D Oculus Rift Experience and Get Up Close and Personal with Stars, Smaug, Sesame Street and Soft Kitty
Full Signing Schedule Released for Warner Bros. Booth
BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2014) — With Comic-Con 2014 only days away, the behind-she-scenes team at the Warner Bros. booth (#4545) is working its magic creating another must-see environment, including a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience allowing fans into the heart-stopping excitement of Warner Bros. upcoming Into the Storm film (unleashed on August 8, 2014); an epic-sized LEGO® Smaug, the legendary dragon from Warner Bros. trilogy of The Hobbit films; a personal appearance by some of Sesame Street’s most familiar faces; and an exclusive Soft Kitty giveaway for fans of The Big Bang Theory, only in San Diego. Always a destination for Comic-Con fans, the Warner Bros. booth will be a constant flux of activity, including giveaways, autograph signings and more.
For a closer look at this year’s Warner Bros. booth activities, read on:
INTO THE STORM: THE 4D OCULUS RIFT EXPERIENCE
- Prepare to go #IntoTheStorm with an intense experiential booth featuring a 4-D immersive Oculus Rift experience that puts fans directly into a recreated scene from the upcoming tornado survival film.
- Releasing on August 8th, Into the Storm, from New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, stars Richard Armitage (The Hobbit films), Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead), Matt Walsh (Ted), Alycia Debnam-Carey (Where the Devil Hides) and Arlen Escarpeta (Final Destination 5).
- In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Told through the eyes and lenses of professional storm chasers, thrill-seeking amateurs, and courageous townspeople, Into the Stormthrows viewers directly into the eye of the storm to experience Mother Nature at her most extreme.
- Fans who survive the storm will have their reactions to the experience captured on camera, and once they exit the booth, they will be able to immediately share their experience from a social wall on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and YouTube.
FIND YOURSELF FACE TO FACE WITH SMAUG
The LEGO Group’s large-scale LEGO brick model of Smaug from The Hobbit Trilogy will be on
display in the Warner Bros. booth #4545 at San Diego Comic-Con. Pictured: designer Erik Varszegi.
- The creative MasterBuilders at The LEGO Group are at it again with a Comic-Con exclusive: a life-sized recreation of the legendary Dragon Smaug (that’s “human” life-sized vs. “dragon” life-sized), from The Hobbit Trilogy.
- Standing at more than six feet tall and weighing in excess of 400 pounds, the large-scale dragon is constructed from 83,433 LEGO® bricks and took over 625 hours to design and build. Featuring a (to Dragon scale) Hobbit-sized Bilbo Baggins and shining Arkenstone, the epic LEGO Smaug stands guard at the Warner Bros. booth!
- This December, Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson will unleash the epic final film in The Hobbit Trilogy, based on the timeless masterpiece by J.R.R. Tolkien, from New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures. In The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo’s journey culminates in a desperate and dangerous choice as darkness converges on the Lonely Mountain and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide — unite or be destroyed. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, with Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. The ensemble cast is led by Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, with Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, and Orlando Bloom.
MUPPETS TAKE SAN DIEGO!
- In celebration of its upcoming 45th season, Sesame Street is sending a Muppet delegation to the Con for a Meet & Greet on Sunday, July 27th from 2:00–3:00 p.m. at the Warner Bros Booth.
- Fans of all ages will have the chance to meet Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover and Murray Monster and their performers in a one-of-a-kind get together at the Warner Bros. booth.
- IN addition, the first 100 fans will walk away with the latest Sesame Street and Warner Bros. DVD – Learning Rocks!
THE CAT’S OUT OF THE BAG!
COMIC-CON EXCLUSIVE: SOFT KITTY PREVIEW GAME PIECE FROM
MONOPOLY® THE BIG BANG THEORY EDITION GAME
- The cat’s out of the bag — and can be found at the Warner Bros. booth!
- In a Comic-Con exclusive, Warner Bros. is offering fans of hit comedy The Big Bang Theory the chance to get their hands on a Soft Kitty preview game piece from the MONOPOLY®: The Big Bang Theory edition game, which will be available at retailers nationwide next month.
- Available only at Comic-Con and not included in the actual game, a limited number of the Soft Kitty mover tokens will be distributed at the Warner Bros. booth Wednesday, July 23–Sunday, July 27. In-the-know fans can ask for the token at the redemption window at the booth.
STARS & SIGNINGS AND MORE!
- From Thursday through Sunday, a cavalcade of talent — including producers and stars from Warner Bros. Television shows, HBO, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures — will be signing for fans at the Warner Bros. booth. Talent to be announced. The signing schedule is as follows:
- THURSDAY, JULY 24, 2014
- 3:30pm-4:00pm Into the Storm
- 4:45pm-5:30pm Childrens Hospital
- FRIDAY, JULY 25, 2014
- 10:15am-11:00am iZOMBIE
- 11:45am-12:30pm The Originals
- 2:15pm-2:45pm The 100
- 3:30pm-4:30pm Game of Thrones
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Mike Tyson Mysteries
- 5:30pm-6:30pm Batman: Assault on Arkham
- 6:15pm-6:45pm Banshee
- SATURDAY, JULY 26, 2014
- 11:15am-11:45am Mad Max: Fury Road
- 11:45am-12:30pm Arrow
- 12:30pm-1:00pm The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- 1:30pm-2:00pm Constantine
- 2:00pm-3:00pm True Blood
- 2:45pm-3:30pm The Vampire Diaries
- 4:00pm-4:45pm Gotham
- 5:00pm-5:45pm Person of Interest
- 5:45pm-6:15pm The Flash
- SUNDAY, JULY 27, 2014
- 10:30am-11:15am Teen Titans Go!
- 11:30am-12:15pm Supernatural
- 12:00pm-12:45pm Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy
- 12:30pm-1:15pm The Following
- 12:45pm-1:15pm Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon