ANGRY BIRDS FLY TO COMIC-CON WITH STELLA, TRANSFORMERS AND, OF COURSE, COMICS! #SDCC
Espoo, Finland — July 17th 2014 – Angry Birds will soon be flying South to this year’s San Diego Comic-Con to meet our fans and present our brand new cinematic trailers for Angry Birds Transformers and Angry Birds Stella. To celebrate the world’s most impressive comic bash, we are issuing new Angry Birds Comics with IDW with an exclusive variation issue cover!
Outside the Convention Center both fans and media can hang out with Angry Birds Stella at the Stella Pop Up Experience in Petco Park – no badge required! Come and experience Angry Birds Stella, enjoy refreshments in our lounge, print out custom shirts while charging your phone, see the first gameplay demo of the upcoming game. Plus, if you drop by in an Angry Birds Stella inspired costume, you are in for an exclusive giveaway.
Earlier this summer we announced our epic collaboration with Hasbro on Angry Birds Transformers. Fans and media are welcome to visit the Hasbro booth inside the Convention Center to see the Comic-Con exclusive trailer – more information to follow!
Of course, a Comic-Con visit wouldn’t be complete without some comics! IDW has put out limited edition Comic-Con exclusive variants of the new Angry Birds Comics. Check out their booth inside the Convention Center for comic giveaways and signings. Also be sure to drop by the Kids Comics panel on Sunday the 27th July at 10 – 11am in Room 4.
About Rovio Entertainment Ltd.
Rovio Entertainment Ltd, the creator of Angry Birds™, is a global industry-changing entertainment media company headquartered in Finland that creatively combines digital with physical, breaking the boundaries of traditional content delivery. What started as a casual game in 2009 became an international phenomenon within a few months of its release. Today Angry Birds is not only the most downloaded game of all time, it is a worldwide known entertainment brand reaching out into publishing, licensing, animations, books and location based entertainment. Rovio’s animated Angry Birds feature film is slated for July, 2016. www.rovio.com
DC Entertainment to Present Ultimate Collection of Panels and Signing Events from Comic Industry’s Biggest Stars at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014
Superstar Creative Team Geoff Johns and John Romita, Jr. Harness Their Talents For SUPERMAN
Grant Morrison To Unleash Brilliant, Highly Anticipated THE MULTIVERSITY Limited Series
Spotlight Shines On New Husband/Wife WONDER WOMAN Creative Team David and Meredith Finch
Comic book fans will cheer for DC Entertainment’s (DCE) list of all-star comic talent and must-attend panels scheduled for Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014. The largest English-language publisher and the leader in digital comics innovation, DCE’s impressive slate of events, announcements and giveaways is sure to thrill fans.
In addition to the milestone 75th anniversary of Batman, DCE will present an all-star line-up of industry icons who will reveal details on highly-anticipated new projects. The 4,500 square foot booth (#1915) will serve as the hub for both signings and artist demos, and will be the go-to place for fans to interact with some of the best writers and artists in the business. For fans who can’t make the Con DCComics.com is the go-to place for behind the scenes coverage and in-depth interviews.
DCE has created a schedule filled with top panels giving fans an array of guest appearances, announcements, and exclusives.
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow – DCE Chief Creative Officer and groundbreaking comic writer Geoff Johns and acclaimed artist John Romita, Jr. will combine their luminary talents to present an all new era for SUPERMAN. Joined by Aaron Kuder (ACTION COMICS), Charles Soule (SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN) Ken Lashley (SUPERMAN DOOMED) and others, this exciting panel will explore what’s in store for the Man of Steel. Plus, don’t miss Johns, Romita Jr. and SUPERMAN inker Klaus Janson’s signing on Thursday from 6-7pm at the DCE booth (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). PanelSaturday 11:15am Room 6DE
- The Multiversity Enrollment – After months of anticipation, creative genius Grant Morrison will unveil his brilliantly intricate limited series THE MULTIVERSITY. Bringing together characters from 52 alternate Earths of the DC Multiverse, fans will finally get their chance to preview the groundbreaking series from one of the biggest names in the industry. Morrison will signing in the DCE booth on Thursday from 2-3pm (wristbands to be handed out Thursday morning in DCE booth). Panel Friday 3pm Room 6DE
- Champions Of Justice – The fate of DC Comics’ most famous heroine, WONDER WOMAN, will now rest with the real-life husband and wife creative team of writer Meredith Finch and artist David Finch. Take a look at their plans for the thrilling, action-packed series in this special, star–studded panel. An absolute highlight for comic fans, the event also features Geoff Johns (SUPERMAN) Jeff Lemire (FUTURES END), Charles Soule, Robert Venditti (THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN), and Van Jensen (GREEN LANTERN CORPS). PanelFriday 11:15am Room 6DE
- Vertigo: Defy Conventions – Dive into the genre-defying titles from Vertigo with Mark Buckingham on the final storyline of the long-running, fan-favorite series FABLES, the next installment in Neil Gaiman’s celebrated THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE, Scott Snyder’s plans for the hugely popular AMERICAN VAMPIRE series, Tula Lotay on the newly announced, mind-bending mystery BODIES, and Lee Bermejo on his upcoming series SUICIDERS. Panel Thursday 6pm Room 5AB
- DC Digital: Download This! – An industry leader in digital comics, join some of the stars of DC Digital’s hottest series including director Kevin Smith and KROQ radio personality Ralph Garman on their new BATMAN ’66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET series, Marc Guggenheim on his smash hit ARROW: SEASON 2.5 series based on the fan-favorite TV show, Kyle Higgins on BATMAN BEYOND 2.0, Cat Staggs on the exciting SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN anthology, info on what’s to come within INFINITE CRISIS, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR 2, and more! Panel Thursday 2pm Room 6DE
- DC Comics – No Boundaries! – Brought to you by the superstar team of Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, HARLEY QUINN is set to be the belle of the Con with their special one-shot HARLEY QUINN INVADES SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON. Plus, dive into the exciting adventures of NEW SUICIDE SQUAD with Sean Ryan, learn more about mysterious GRAYSON with Tim Seeley and Tom King, and find out what’s in store for TEEN TITANS.Panel Friday 4:15pm Room 6DE
- Mad About MAD – Meet the Usual Gang Of Idiots as MAD Magazine presents their latest spoofs that are sure to keep the crowds laughing! Panel Thursday 5:30pm Room 4
- Major signings – throughout the Con, DC Entertainment’s booth will host dozens of signings with key talent, including:
- Jim Lee (Thursday 10-11am, Friday 11-12pm, Saturday 6-7pm, Sunday 1-2pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Thursday 12:30-1:30pm, Friday 12:30-1:30pm, Saturday 11-12pm – wristbands handed out each morning in the booth).
- And many more! Visit DCComics.com or download the DCE events app for a full panel schedule.
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide variety of items exclusively available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series. The Graphitti Designs booth (#2314) will feature variant editions of BATMAN #32, GRAYSON #1, SUPERMAN #32, and two versions of HARLEY QUINN INVADES COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL #1, as well as a JOKER: DEATH OF THE FAMILY mask and a Harley Quinn cross-body purse. DCE will also offer exclusive variants for the first time ever at Diamond retailers with a SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #47 comic and DC Collectibles’ BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY Harley Quinn statue.
Download the DC Entertainment Events App on Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store to stay up to speed on all DC Entertainment signings, panels and stage events at San Diego Comic-Con.
Bob Fingerman appears at Barnes & Noble to sign Maximum Minimum Wage on Thursday August 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM!
82nd & Broadway
2289 Broadway, New York, NY 10024
Chris Eliopoulos appears at Barnes & Noble to sign Marvel Universe Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes on Saturday August 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM!
Barnes & Noble
765 Route 17 South, Paramus, NJ 07652
Author and artist of the fantastic GIRLS WITH SLINGSHOTS, comics creator extraordinaire Danielle Corsetto appears at Comic Envy on Wednesday, August 13th from 3:00 – 7:00 pm! Danielle is also the writing talent behind two of the Adventure Time original graphic novels, and we’re thrilled to have her!
144 Tunnel Road, Asheville, NC 28805
JHU Comic Books is proud to present a fantastic signing with two great talents, showcasing a great original debut in Nightworld #1 and a fantastic new release of Billy Dogma material in “Fear, My Dear.”
Adam McGovern (Dr. Id, Extinction Seed) starts off his insane new series, Nightworld, with us, which “offers haunted romance, hellish humor, metaphysical fisticuffs and B-movie psychodrama at its best!” This comic is gorgeous, hilarious and absolute madness. You’ll love it, we promise!
Dean Haspiel (The Fox, Fantastic Four, American Splendor) uses his near-mythological talents to bring some new Billy Dogma stories to us in the much-loved “Fear, My Dear.” His “The Fox: Freak Magnet” has also just recently been released by Archie Comics and is a treat to behold!
If you love independent comics, especially weird, crazy and fun ones, you REALLY don’t want to miss it!
*Purchase of Nightworld #1, “Fear, My Dear” or “The Fox: Freak Magnet” required to participate in signing.
JHU Comic Books MANHATTAN
32 East 32nd Street, New York, NY 10016
Cartoonist Bryan Lee O’Malley, creator of Scott Pilgrim, appears at Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh to sign his new graphic novel SECONDS on Sunday 17th of August from noon till 1:00 pm!
Forbidden Planet Edinburgh
40/41 South Bridge, EH1 1LL Edinburgh
Natalie Nourigat, Molly Schaeffer, and Kevin Sampsell appear at The Waypost on Tuesday, August 5th from 7:30 – 9:00 pm!
What a dream team! Portraits by Natalie Nourigat, text illustrations by Molly Schaeffer, and beautiful collages from Kevin Sampsell are hanging at the Waypost all during August.
The portraits and illustrations are from upcoming book Sex from Scratch: Making Your Own Relationship Rules.
Come by tonight for an art opening! Say hi to the artists, grab a drink, and snag a copy of the new book before its official release party. It will be great.
3120 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227
This past weekend was ConnectiCon in Hartford, CT. Founded in 2002 primarily as a gaming convention, it has come to encompass multiple genres and attracts attendees from all over the country. It roots in gaming are still clearly apparent as they host a gaming room equal the size of the main vendor/artist area which hosted hundreds if not thousands of gamers playing Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, WarHammer, and many other table top games. Naturally there is also a large contingent of cosplayers dressed as their favorite characters from TV, moves, comic books and video games. The projected attendenace fo this year was 17,000 people and while there were certainly a lot of people in the Hartford Convention Center, it was laid out and organized so it never felt crowded. The autograph lines for guests moved surprisingly fast and, provided you showed up a little early, panels were easy to get into.
A big draw for this year’s ConnectiCon was the wealth of guests from the voice acting industry. A growing trend at conventions across the country, these talented performers need only a microphone to display their gift for breathing life into characters. Guests included Invader Zim’s Richard Horvitz and Rikki Simons, Pinky and the Brain’s Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen, Batman: The Brave and the Bold’s Dietrich Bader, Mass Effect’s Jennifer Hale, and Legend of Korra’s Janet Varney. Speaking to the press, Horvitz and Simons said they love having meeting fans who grew up watching Zim and are now cosplaying as their characters. The also mentioned people sometime have full sleeve tattoos where they leave room to get autographed. Horvitz said, “We always ask them to please not get murdered because we’re afraid the police will think the killer signed their work.”
As an actor who had success in on-screen roles on The Drew Carey Show, Outsourced, and Office Space, Bader remarked that he is in awe at the talent of his cartoon co-stars and how unpretentious and friendly most are compared to the rest of Hollywood. When asked what his favorite character to play was, Bader immediately and unequivocally said “Batman.” Prior to being cast on Brave and the Bold Bader had not been terribly well-versed in Bat-lore but said that getting into character really moved him especially in the scene where Batman confronts his parents’ killer, during Bader said he had literal tears running down his face.
On panels with LaMarche and Paulsen it was readily evident that their their friendship and work relationship easily rolls into one another. Paulsen remarked several times that his co-stars are people with whom he would choose to be friends had they never met at work. They often finished one another’s jokes and would goad the other into saying a favorite line or catchphrase. They credited a mutual love of Monty Python and Beyond the Fringe as instantly cementing their bond when the first worked together.
LaMarche and Paulsen shared many stories from Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, one being the famous “Yes, Always” sketch in which LaMarche faithfully recreates a famous outtake of Orson Welles recording a commercial for peas in which the famous director angrily tells off the staff. LaMarche had regaled his co-stars, directors, and engineers with his rendition so it was added to the script as a suprise for LaMarche. They also regaled the audience to a reading of “Green Eggs in Ham” with Paulsen reading Sam I Am (in the voice of Pinky) and LaMarche playing the main character as the Brain. The showstopper, however, was Paulsen singing “Yakko’s World” in which he rattles off every single country in the world to which the entire crowd clapped along.
Finally, Janet Varney who voices the title character of The Legend of Korra spoke about the series to a full panel room of Avatar-fans. She noted that they all had very pointed questions regarding many of Korra’s decisions on the show. Varney said while she often disagrees with Korra’s actions that is part of what makes her a well-rounded character. Twice during the Q&A Varney had to apologize for “rudely” taking a phone call. The first was from Firelord Zuko (actor Dante Basco) who called in to look for his honor and the second was Bolin (voice actor PJ Byrne), both whom were kind enough to say hello to the fans and field a question or two.
Fans were very excited to meet the people who helped bring their animated favorites to life. LaMarche said it best, “Hearing I made your childhood better makes my middle age better.” Here’s looking forward to seeing what voice talents are scheduled for next year’s show!
Charles Soule, writer of Letter 44, Superman Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Red Lanterns , She Hulk , Inhuman, 27, as well as the upcoming Death of Wolverine mini series will be in the store signing at Ultimate Comics on Saturday August 16th! Mark your calendar now! Don’t miss your chance to meet one of the newest superstars in comics!
6120 Farrington Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27517