Comicpalooza the Texas International Comic Con Announces Expansion Plans & 2013 Guest Lineup
HOUSTON, TEXAS – Comicpalooza once again posted high growth for their 2012 event, with over 10,600 attendees and an 88.5% increase in paid registration over 2011, which was up from a 55% growth rate the previous year. The high growth makes Comicpalooza one of the fastest growing comic & pop-culture conventions in the south. Attendance for 2013 is expected to top 20,000. Comicpalooza has begun attracting high-profile sponsors including McDonald’s, Best Buy, TimeGate Studios, the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, Houston Community College, and Bedrock City Comic Co. (7th largest comics retailer in the US) and has led to ambitious expansion plans. These are among their plans for next year:
- It’s so BIG! – Exhibit and event space will increase from the 380,000 square feet available in 2012 to over 500,000 square feet for 2013. This increase will allow more programming, including educational seminars, workshops, and panel discussions as well as entertainment such as concerts, film screenings, and other events.
- Level up! – Comicpalooza 2013 will double the amount of vendor and exhibit space that was available in 2012, including adding a large number of booths for tech and video gaming companies. The tech and video gaming area in Comicpalooza 2012 was very successful and demonstrated the vibrant interest Texas has in those fields.
- Comicpalooza & GalactiCon III – GalactiCon III is the once-every-five-year Battlestar Galactica anniversary celebration. It is the largest BSG fan event in the world and already features almost a dozen celebrity guests from the BSG universe. In 2013 Comicpalooza and GalactiCon will be sharing space and guests to create the largest sci-fi fan event in the Texas/Louisiana region.
- Austin Spotlight – In 2013 Comicpalooza will be spotlighting Austin and its amazing selection of artists, writers, and innovative companies in the fields of comics, film, animation, and video gaming. Companies like Samantha Inoue-Harte’s Austin-based animation studio Animetropolis will be working with Comicpalooza to show off some of the awesome projects brewing in the Texas capitol.
- Guests – Comicpalooza’s initial guest list includes more than one legendary artist: Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Michael Golden, Mark Texeira, and Joe Jusko. It also features actor Peter Mayhew (Star Wars), voice actor & animator Samantha Inoue-Harte, and Tesla-powered musical group ArcAttack! The current list of participating GalactiCon III guests is Edward James Olmos, Michael Hogan, Alessandra Torresani, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict,Herbert Jefferson Jr., Anne Lockhart, Aaron Douglas, Leah Cairns, Luciano Carro, and Jack Stauffer.
The Comicpalooza 2013 website goes live on Aug. 3, 2013!