American Music, Pop Culture Expo On Tap For March 2013
HERSHEY, Pa – USA Theatres, which operates a portable drive-in and outdoor movie theatre in Central Pennsylvania, is spinning into the world of vinyl records and pop culture memorabilia, with the launching of the American Music & Pop Culture Expo.
According to the company, the expo will feature numerous vendors buying, selling and trading a variety of popular culture merchandise, such as DVDs, tapes, posters, books, magazines, autographs, comics, trading cards, photos, artwork, jewelry, t-shirts, toys, games, pins, buttons, lunchboxes, advertising items, rare LP vinyl records, CDs, albums and singles (33s, 45s, 78s), players and musical instruments.
Previous shows and conventions, organized by USA Theatres, included a non-sports card convention, which featured various exhibitors from the non-sports industry, and an antique toy and coin-op show, which featured quality exhibitors of fine antiques and collectible toys, including coin-operated items such as jukeboxes.
“All of the events that we organize exhibit the retro factor,” said Ronald M. Vastola, Outreach Coordinator of USA Theatres. “From the King of Rock and Roll to the King of Pop, from Star Trek to Star Wars, through Beatlemania and Batmania, Pac-Mania and Hulkamania, the American Music & Pop Culture Expo will appeal to all age groups.”
According to Vastola, the event is also expected to feature media guests from music, television and movies.
Attendees will have the unique opportunity for a chance to win a brand new classic style full-size jukebox (MSRP: $1495.95), provided by RetroWonders.com, an online retailer of Crosley Radio products, according to Vastola.
The American Music & Pop Culture Expo is set to debut on Friday and Saturday, March 29 and 30, 2013, at the Granada Avenue Gymnasium, located at 30 East Granada Avenue in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
“Hershey is a great geographic location to host an event,” Vastola said. “It is conveniently located to most major metropolitan areas in the Northeast, and can easily attract pop culture enthusiasts from Washington D.C., Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and of course, Pennsylvania.”
Although it is early, Vastola anticipates 75 vendor spaces to be utilized. “Vendor space will sell out fast,” he said.
Early buyers are welcome Friday evening at 5:00 p.m. and also Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. for $25 per person each day, while general admission on Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., is $7 for adults and $5 for seniors, college students and active military (Photo I.D. required). Children 11 and under will be admitted for free, accompanied by a paying adult. Parking is free.
“The show will be promoted and marketed through various media outlets, such as television, radio, Internet websites, newspapers, trade publications, and direct market mailers,” Vastola said. “We will also be promoting this event all summer long on the 40 foot tall ‘Turkey Hill Screen’.”
A variety of food and beverages will be available for purchase at the show, provided by Joemomma Foods, Inc. of Hershey, Pennsylvania.
“It’s going to be another brisk and fantastic show,” Vastola added.
Want to exhibit?
6 ft. by 9 ft. vendor spaces are currently available for $65 each and include one 6 ft. table, two chairs, and two exhibitor badges (discounts offered for larger vendor spaces).
For hotel accommodations, attendees are encouraged to contact the Hilton Garden Inn Hershey, the official hotel of the American Music & Pop Culture Expo. The hotel is located 3.3 miles, 8 minutes from the expo. Mention the show to receive a special room rate of $79 per night. Visit their website www.hershey.hgi.com or call the hotel directly at 717-566-9292.
Tony Harris signs on Saturday May 5, 2012 from noon to 5:00pm for Free Comic Book Day!!
Tony Harris – Illustrator of such works as Starman, Ex Machina and Obergeist, and winner of multiple Eisner awards for best cover artist will be on hand to sign and mingle with fans.
Titan Games & Comics – Duluth
2103 Pleasant Hill Rd, Duluth, GA 30096
Jim Cheung, Gail Simone, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Tommy Castillo, Chuck Dixon, Will Quintana, Morry Hollowell, Fierce Comics, Scott Harper, Andrea Dean Van Scoyoc, Dave Myers, and more sign on Saturday May 5, 2012 for Free Comic Book Day!
Yancy Street Comics
9409 US 19 (inside Gulfview Square Mall), Port Richey, FL 34668
Ed Brubaker, Josh Fialkov, Kyle Higgins, Jim McCann, Rodin Esquejo, and Sonia Oback sign in Canoga Park from noon to 3pm and Steve Niles, Gabriel Hardman, Corinna Bechko, Matt Whitlock, and Shane & Chris Houghton sign from 2:00 – 5:00pm in Pasadena on Saturday May 5, 2012 for Free Comic Book Day!
319 S. Arroyo Parkway #4, Pasadena, CA 91105
7131 Winnetka Ave, Canoga Park, CA 91306
Meet local artists Sean Murphy, Steve Walker, and David Gallaher and get their books, sketches, and autographs at Brooklyn Comics on Saturday May 5th, 2012 for Free Comic Book Day. Plus 25% off all kids books, plus free stuff to give away!
12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sean Murphy is the best selling illustrator of Batman/Scarecrow Year One, HellBlazer: City of Demons, Joe The Barbarian (with Grant Morrison) and he wrote & illustrated the original graphic novel called Off Road, which went on to win a American Library Association award for young adults. For Ages 10-Mature.
2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Steve Walker is a freelance comics artist having published with companies such as Image Comics, Random House Books, most notably the first two volumes in the graphic novel series The Sons of Liberty, and the upcoming The Battle of Blood And Ink, for Tor Books. When not pushing lead at his drawing table, Steve can be found teaching comics and sequential art at the Art Student’s League in Manhattan. For Ages 8-Mature.
4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- David Gallaher was named “Breakout Creator of 2008” by Comic Foundry Magazine, received multiple Harvey Award nominations and won The Best Online Comic Award for his work on High Moon, a high-energy, deeply researched fusion horror/western webcomic for Zuda Comics. In addition to his webcomic, David has written Deadlands for Image Comics, Box 13 for comiXology / Red 5 and Darkstar & The Winterguard for Marvel Comics. For Ages 12 – Mature.
493 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Artist Robert Atkins appears at Challengers from 5pm to 7pm on Wednesday, May 23rd to meet fans and sign books. Copies of the brand-new SNAKE EYES AND STORM SHADOW #13 will be available, as well as previous issues, graphic novels and prints.
1845 N. Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
Craig Thompson speaks and signs at the Skirball Cultural Center on Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:00 p.m.
Award-winning graphic novelist Craig Thompson comes to the Skirball to discuss his latest and highly praised graphic novel Habibi in a slide-illustrated talk.
Sprawling across an epic landscape of desert harems and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, circumstance, and love. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart and as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world fueled by fear and greed.
At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance. It is simultaneously a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and the magic of storytelling.
A Q&A and book signing will follow the program.
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 North Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90049
April 30, 2012 by Colin Solan
Filed under California, Canada, Comic Books, Comic Strips, District of Columbia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, Oregon, Other, Pennsylvania, Signing and Appearance Profiles, Washington, Wisconsin
Acclaimed cartoonist Alison Bechdel goes on a book tour of North America to promote her new graphic memoir, Are You My Mother?
Tuesday May 1, 2012
Barnes & Noble, 7pm
2289 Broadway @ 82nd Street, New York City, NY
Wednesday May 2, 2012
The Brattle Theatre, 6pm
40 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA
Sponsored by the Harvard Bookstore
Thursday May 3, 2012
Free Library of Philadelphia, 7:30
1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA
Friday May 4, 2012
Politics & Prose, 7pm
5015 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
Saturday May 5, 2012 Toronto
Toronto Comic Arts Festival
Sunday May 6, 2012
Left Bank Books, 4pm
321 N. 10th Street, St Louis, MO
Monday May 7, 2012
Boswell Book Co., 7pm
2559 N. Downer Ave, Milwaukee, WI
Tuesday May 8, 2012
Books Inc, 7pm
1760 Fourth Street, Berkeley, CA
Wednesday May 9, 2012
The Booksmith, 7:30
1644 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA
Thursday May 10, 2012
Los Angeles Public Library, 7pm
Format: On-stage interview with Deborah Vankin
Mark Taper Auditorium—Central Library
630 W. Fifth Street, Los Angeles, CA
Friday May 11, 2012
University Bookstore, 7pm
4326 University Way NE, Seattle, WA
Saturday May 12, 2012
The Bagdad Theater, 5pm
3702 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR
Sponsored by Powell’s
Wednesday May 16, 2012
Swedish American Museum, 7:30pm
5211 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL
Sponsored by Women and Children First Bookstore
Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb sign at Comicopia for Free Comic Book Day from 1-4pm on Saturday, May 5th!
464 Commonwealth Ave #13, Boston, MA 02215-2734
Philip Tan, Sterling Gates, Bernard Chang, Dan Panosian, and many more sign on Saturday May 5, 2012 or Free Comic Book Day!
List of Talents and Events:
- PHILIP TAN (DC Comics: Savage Hawkman, He-Man & Masters of Universe)
- STERLING GATES (DC Comics: Hawk & Dove, Flashpoint Kid Flash)
- DAN PANOSIAN (DC Comics/Image: GI Combat, Conan)
- BERNARD CHANG (DC Comics: Demon Knights)
- VINCE HERNANDEZ (Aspen Comics: Fathom Kiani)
- DANNY MIKI (Marvel/Crimelab Syndicate: Avengers Assemble, Fearless, Incredible Hulk)
- ALLEN MARTINEZ (Marvel/Crimelab Syndicate: Hulk, X-Men Legacy, Iron Man Legacy)
- DEAN WHITE (Marvel: Kick Ass, Uncanny X-Force)
- RICHARD ISANOVE (Marvel: Dark Tower)
- MARCO GALLI (Marvel/Crimelab Syndicate: Venom, Artifacts, Forgotten Realms)
- MICHAEL ALAN NELSON (Boom Studios: Valen Outcast, 28 Days Later)
- CHRIS “DOC” WYATT (Arcana: Creepsville -coming soon)
- SHAWN DePASQUALE (Arcana: Space, MN graphic novel)
- ERIK HENDRIX (Arcana: SideShows Graphic Novel)
- JOHN NARCOMEY (Draw Hard Comics: Dust, Smart Bullets)
- JAMES NINNESS (Semantink: Dust, Mythoi, The Undergrounds)
- JOE PEZZULA (Semantink: Sim-I, The Undergrounds)
- MICHAEL FOUNTAIN (Semantink: Drace Grey, The Undergrounds)
- DANIEL TOUCHET (Semantink: Sim-I, The Undergrounds)
- MARCEL LOSADA (Semantink: The Undergrounds)
- JULIAN AGUILERA (Coat of Arms Comics: Blackbeard, Jurassic Strike Force)
- KI KIM (Crimelab Syndicate)
- AJ HERRERA (Forbidden Panel: ZKS)
- JUSTIN WHITE (Forbidden Panel: ZKS)
- DANIEL WHITFIELD (Forbidden Panel: The Plagued)
- CAMILLE ALARAS (Forbidden Panel: The Plagued)
- JR LOPEZ (Forbidden Panel: El Super Maximo)
- LOU GUEVARA (Forbidden Panel: Blackjack Slappers)
- APOSCAR CRUZ (W3RKSHOP) www.w3rkshop.com
- JIMMY PURCELL (Been Better Comic) www.beenbettercomic.com
- KIRK KUSHIN (Forcewerks: OZopolis)
- DAN MENDOZA (Toxiccandie) www.zombiegirl
- ZEN (HCMP) www.hiconmedia.com
- DANI DIXON (Tumbleweed Press: M.I.S.//ing)
- STEPHANIE LESNIAK (Scraps Pictures: Blazin Brandy)
- ROBERT ZAILO (Local Artist)
- ART LOPEZ (Arte Cabalturo: Mexican American Tribal Pop Art)
- GRIM KING (Local Artist: Fantasy and SciFi Art)
- AUBREY MIRANDA (Local Artist)
- GEO BRAWN (Brawn Graphix Designs: Everdance)
Charitable Event FANBOYS vs ZOMBIES Dunk Booth benefitting CBLDF Come fight back the zombie horde while donating to a worthy cause.. but wait you don’t throw softballs at zombies.. WE HAVE THE POWER OF THOR to conquer them! Blood Drive for Lifestream (All donors get EVERY free comic available) Main Event – Wrestling!!! Join 4 Color Fantasies and NWA Wrestling for the fun and chaos of professional wrestling!! Demos to be held all day Costume characters from:
- Star Wars 501st Legion “Vader’s Fist” – Cobra Nightwatch (GI Joe) – Inland Empire Fan Force Star Wars fan club – DC, Marvel Characters including Batman, Flash, Green Lantern
Community Partners – Rancho Cucamonga Library – Library cards and kids programs – Mobeck Farmers Insurance – M.I.L.K. Child Loss Prevention kits – Edwards Ontario 22 Palace – Raffle movie passes and posters Activities – FACE PAINTING – SUPERHERO BOUNCER – COLORING CONTEST – RAFFLES – FREE HOT DOGS – FREE NACHOS – FREE BALLONS – FREE FUN FOR ALL!!! – AND OF COURSE…. FREE COMICS!!!!!
4 Color Fantasies 7
172 Archibald Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701